Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
I am selling a used car. I put it on CL and a guy who was clearly a dealer came to try and buy it. We agreed on a price and when I asked him to sign the title information for the purchaser he said he didn't want to do it.

If I have a bill of sale and his driver ID is there anything that could come back to me? FWIW he seemed shady but what could really go wrong if I had a bill of sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's better suited for the stupid questions thread, but no you absolutely do not want to do a sale where the buyer does not immediately retitle the car. This article explains why but in a nutshell, until it is retitled you are still the legal owner of the car, and that means you can be held liable for anything like unpaid parking tickets, impound fees, poo poo like that.

If the buyer doesn't want to actually take possession of the title, he's not really a car dealer and is probably just someone trying to pretend they are one without paying fees. By never titling the cars himself, he never hits the limit of title transfers per year.

That makes sense but if that is the case, can't that still happen even if he does sign everything correctly? It is still technically mine until he or whoever he tries to sell it to gets it retitled at the SOS, right?

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
To give an update, I sought out an official response from the Secretary of State here in Michigan. She said it was illegal to transfer the title without the purchaser filling out all the information and pointed me to a particular statute although I didn't write it down. She also said the potential buyer was "likely a criminal". Advised me the law required a copy of the completely filled out title to be held by the seller.