Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Probably. I was the only translator/writer on the project (even though a couple NOA handlers took all the credit).

Oh wow. Do you remember if Nintendo seriously considered releasing Terranigma in North America? There were rumors about it hitting the U.S. in early 1996 (possibly even under the title "Genesis"), but nothing came of that, of course.

Of all the Super Famicom games that were never released in the U.S., Terranigma strikes me as the greatest loss. It's a fantastic action-RPG, an excellent sendoff for Quintet's Actraiser/Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia games and the entire 16-bit era itself. Such a shame that Nintendo had a perfectly fine localized version and only released it in PAL territories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Harlock posted:

This game looks really neat. The Saturn got some interesting games. It honestly kind of reminds me of Front Mission: Gun Hazard. Then there's Assault Suits Valken 2 which looks kind of like a Front Mission SRPG.

There's a good reason for that: the Front Mission series was created by Toshiro Tsuchida, who was also the producer on Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken.

He didn't work on Leynos 2, though, and I didn't like it as much as Cybernator. The controls aren't as tight and the level design isn't as interesting.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Unmature posted:

I never knew that, but looking back that makes total sense. And Google confirms it.

Couldn't find a better image than this one from Rakuten, but all the PS1 demo discs from Japan had a comic strip like this on them. Has anyone translated and collected them all into one place? I want to read all of them.

Sony published at least two different lines of PlayStation demo discs in Japan. Play Play discs were mailed out to people (like the PlayStation Underground in the U.S.), while Demo Demo PlayStation volumes (like that one up there) were, I believe, primarily for store kiosks. Only Demo Demo PlayStation had cover comics.

I once had a full set of Demo Demo PlayStation discs, which I bought just to get the demo for an unreleased game called Bounty Arms. I sold them all off except for one volume, but I saved one other volume's cover before I let them go. The actual, accurate translation is in the comments.

If you really want to see it, I could scan the cover of the only Demo Demo volume I still own. I have no idea what it says.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

univbee posted:

You had Masked Ninja Hanamaru which was remade into Yo! Noid, Q-Taro the Ghost was remade into Chubby Cherub...now that I think about it, I think in almost all cases, games based off Anime franchises or films simply never came out in English, and it still happens to this day.

Ninja Kid for the NES was originally a GeGeGe No Kitaro game. The Puss 'N Boots NES game is also kinda strange. They didn't hide the anime license at all (the movie's art was even used for the U.S. cover), but the American version of the game came out four years after the Japanese one and has noticeably different level design.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
Gabbin' about PlayStation gun games and nobody's brought up Elemental Gearbolt? This won't do, it simply won't do.

It's a challenging fantasy-anime ride with Panzer Dragoon-esque design, a great soundtrack, and plenty of hidden stuff.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

McCracAttack posted:

Can anyone recommend some Famicom games that are appreciably different from their NES counterparts? Or some Famicom Disk System games that aren't in the OP?

Here's one nobody mentioned: Puss N' Boots. The Japanese version has different levels, enemies, and power-ups. It also looks a little more primitive, having come out four years before the U.S. release. Electro Brain and Shouei System basically rebuilt the game just for America.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

RadicalR posted:

So Crystalis just came in the mail. Got this for 10 bucks, free shipping.
Never played this game - I had a friend that wouldn't shut up about it. Called it the best NES game in terms of pushing the envelope.

Let's see if he's right.

He's right.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Quiet Feet posted:

So you made an NES action/adventure platformer starrring a character with selectable powers and weapons. But how to choose between those powers? What button should you use to select one? If you said "hold down, tap "a" to bring up a cursor and then keep pressing "a" until the cursor is beneath the power you want", you are the designer of Conquest of the Crystal Palace.

In other words, you are Yasumi Matsuno.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

al-azad posted:

There's one PS1 game I've been meaning to try and it's Brave Prove. It wasn't released outside of Japan, looks and plays like an Oasis game, but also has blatant elements from Seiken Densetsu like the golden statues of Althena and boss design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MDSo06hup4

Oh hey, I have this. It's not a bad game, but the dungeons drag a bit and it doesn't really distinguish itself in any way.

Data West is an interesting little company. They dabbled in a bunch of genres and made stuff like the Rayxanber series, two LaserActive rail shooters, and an unreleased PSX action game called Bounty Arms. Then they got tired of making games and went back to business software or whatever.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Trouble Shooter.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I am doing some research for a game project I am working on.

What are some examples of 8-bit and 16-bit era games that have some or all of the following qualities:

1: Top down view
2: Co-op and/or vs. multiplayer
3: levels/areas were single screen in size

Games I can think of are the Bomberman series, Goof Troop, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors (aside from the level size).

Firestriker, maybe. There's a bit of scrolling, though.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Heran Bago posted:

Contra's not so hard after all!

What are some easier NES games? Not like Kirby's Adventure easy, but more Panic Restaurant easy.

Power Blade is pretty easy. I think it was the only NES game I beat in one evening as a kid.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

luigionlsd posted:

This talk of boxes and manuals made me remember i have a CIB Chrono Trigger buried away in my closet. And the fact that I paid 90 dollars to get the "good" box art for FFX after 13 years of not being available in USA

This talk reminds me that I was one of the few kids who kept the boxes for NES games. Whenever I loaned someone a game, I'd also let them borrow the box and manual. That was kinda stupid of me. Poor Mega Man 2 took a beating.

Every other NES owner I've met, from my fellow middle-schoolers to adults digging through the attic, had loose NES carts. Perhaps that's why the packaging doesn't seem as innate to NES games as it does to Genesis games.

And perhaps that's why I want to sell the boxes and manuals to my NES games (what few I still have). They just get in the way when I want to play something.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

TheRedEye posted:

I played Bonk for about 20 minutes at Comic-Con and it was just so...empty? There was just nothing fun or interesting about it, we really didn't miss out on anything. I think it was pretty far along, maybe even done...there was a world map that seemed finished, I went to a couple random levels and they worked and weren't broken or anything. They were just super boring.

I played the exact same Comic-Con demo, and it felt like the developers were shooting for the original Bonk's Adventure...which is also a bit dull at the start. The power-ups might've gone somewhere interesting in the later stages, though, and I didn't get to try the two-player mode. It was simple, but I sorta liked it.

Here's the demo station. I hope someone saved that banner.

Edit: I just noticed that they gave Bonk the same big white telophase eye as Sonic.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 13, 2014

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Zaphod42 posted:

If you're just trying to get an NES and controllers and games, that's paying a little more than you'd have to. But if you want an action set CIB, then that's a pretty killer deal I think.

I could be wrong :downs:

Seems like the box itself goes for about $50 on eBay, so it's not a bad deal.

I should probably sell my NES Action Set box, awkward as it would be to ship. It just gets in the way.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
The PC-88 version of Princess Tomato actually IS a bit creepy from a little-kid point of a view. The characters all have a jagged, paper-cutout look, and there's strange stuff like that crucified strawberry.

The NES version doesn't have that, though it has Princess Tomato's inexplicably human sister Lisa.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I don't want to name the game but I've been buying copies of it every time it pops up on eBay. I'm curious at what point will I own the majority of the production run.

Someone actually tried doing this years ago to corner the market on Magical Chase for the TurboGrafx-16.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?24405-DANG-YOU-TO-HADES-Andre-Henretta!!!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Video Games New York is the very overpriced reseller at cons. Whether or not it's wrong to be an overpriced seller when you have to deal with all the costs of running that kind of operation and moving merchandise across the country is another story, but their import prices are typically more than double the high-end on eBay. I just can't encourage supporting that business model.

I don't think I've ever seen a retro video-game dealer with reasonable prices at a convention. You might find something fair at a booth that sells all sorts of stuff, but most of the dedicated game sellers will want $45 for a battered greatest-hits Final Fantasy VIII.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No-poo poo Statement, July 20, 2014: Legendary Axe was a way better launch title than Altered Beast.

While it's better than Altered Beast or Keith Courage, Legendary Axe is still pretty boring. The controls are slow, the power-ups are lame, and the bosses are dumb. Altered Beast may be chaff, but at least it has you fighting huge tentacle creatures and giant mud zombies who throw their own heads at you. The Legendary Axe's first boss is two bears. The second? A big rock. Only the huge guy at the end is impressive.

Legendary Axe might've made a better system bundle than Keith Courage, but NEC should've gone with their other choice for a pack-in: R-Type.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Altered Beast loving rules :colbert:

As lame as Altered Beast may seem today, it was a great pack-in back for its time. It looked (and sounded) close to the arcade game, it had plenty of cool monsters to get kids' attention, and it was short enough to ensure that Genesis owners would look for something else a month after getting the system. Not a great game, but it showed off the Genesis pretty well and left people wanting more. And that's what a pack-in should do.

Compare that to the most generous system bundle ever: the TurboDuo. It came with Gate of Thunder, the first two Bonks, Bomberman, Ys Book I and II, and a random TurboGrafx-16 game (which was Ninja Spirit if you were lucky). With all of that, you wouldn't need to go out and buy another TurboDuo game for the better part of a year.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

al-azad posted:

Speaking of PCE-CD games, how Anearth Fantasy Stories hasn't been translated yet is beyond me. I have a pretty big list of projects I would work on if I knew how to reverse engineer this stuff including Last Armageddon, Laplace no Ma (which is different and better than the SNES version), the PCE version of Sorcerian, and the Exile games.

I'd like someone to translate Tenshi no Uta. Most people don't talk about it beyond the downer ending, but it's one of the earliest games to feature Kenichi Nishi. He went on to make delightfully weird and wonderful things like Moon: RPG Remix Adventure (which is still my most-wanted fan translation), Captain Rainbow, LOL: Lack of Love, and Chibi Robo.

I also selfishly wish more Right Stuff/Glodia games were fan-translated. Someone did the SFC version of Emerald Dragon (which is worse than the PCE one), but so much of their catalog is still obscure: Flash Hiders, Fiend Hunter, The TV Show, Fang of Alnam, Alshark, Vain Dream, etc. Right Stuff rarely made great games, but they had some interesting B-list stuff, and it's a shame that their sole officially localized creation is Terraforming for the TurboDuo.

And it's not a PC Engine game, but I do want to play Shinseiki Odysselya in English. Why? Because it was almost released on the Super NES as Lost Mission back in 1993. It had a Nintendo Power review and everything. I need closure.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Captain Rufus posted:

Oh, and as to the kind of stuff I want to see translated?

(You can also call this image: gently caress YOU HARMONY GOLD LICK MY TAINT YOU WORTHLESS BASTARDS.)

If it helps, that Macross: Do You Remember Love? shooter (second one down on the left) is really boring and tells the same story as the original Macross movie. I think there's one new scene at the beginning, and that's it. There isn't much point in translating it.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yes and No

Last Bronx was one of the few games on the Saturn that would change everything to English if you set your Saturn to that language. So all written type would become English.

Capcom was going to bring it over but it fell through but all the English translations remained on the Japanese disc.

Why would Capcom bring over Last Bronx when it was a first-party Sega game? Sega even released the Saturn version in the U.S. two months after it came out in Japan.

Edit: Maybe you're thinking of Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers 3. The Japanese Saturn version has a hidden menu where you can switch all of the text to English.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

The Orange Mage posted:

I still doubt most of the Genesis poo poo will ever get expensive. The games that are already $20+ will surge, of course, but there's plenty of consoles around and the system is a trash barge of sports games and farting bass hell.

And I'm a SEGA fan. :(

Most likely. You may see some previously unidentified rarities shoot up in value (like, I don't know, Wardner or Traysia) but the bulk of the Genesis will stay affordable.

the_lion posted:

Battle Angel fun fact: there are two english dubs, nobody has the PAL dub.

The PAL dub is serious and better, they refer to her as Alita.
The NTSC dub is wacky and not as good, her name is Gally in that one.

If you have the PAL dub, I would kill to buy it from you. I have it on a worn VHS tape but have yet to convert it.

I've never heard the PAL dub. I'd like to, because Manga UK made amazing dubs.

d0s posted:

Loving this laserdisc anime derail :v:

(click for huge)

Honestly thinking about starting an SA Mart thread for these as it seems like lots of goons are into anime LDs and while I love the art on these things and the general experience of using LDs, they're cumbersome as hell, I'll be sure to mention it here if I decide to.

Oh good, you've got the second episode of AD Police. That's the best one!

I remember laserdiscs being the format of choice for the serious moneypit wall-of-Wedding-Peach anime fans in the 1990s (partly because the Japanese discs had no region-lock and helped people make fansubs). If I hadn't been a broke teenager at the time, I'd have jumped on that and probably ended up with an LD player and a pile of Armitage III and Detonator Orgun right when DVDs got popular. But I just bought video games instead!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a what? :suspense:

It uses footage from Miyazaki's The Castle of Cagliostro. And another Lupin film called The Mystery of Mamo.

Did I say Lupin? I meant Cliff, a loveable outcast!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

The best part is that Sunsoft made this book official Blaster Master canon in the PlayStation sequel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_Master:_Blasting_Again

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Allen Wren posted:

Dang, lots of answers.

I have Conquest of the Crystal Palace, Guardian Legend (but no idea how to play it other than wander around and die---I should get a manual), Kabuki Quantum Fighter, TSB and Astyanax, so that leaves...

Metal Storm
Xexyz
Keith Courage
Batman
Gremlins 2
Goonies 2
Little Nemo
Little Mermaid
Shadowgate
Battle of Olympus
Air Fortress
MC Kids
Anticipation

Do you have Vice Project Doom? That's a good one. Mostly side-scrolling Ninja Gaiden-ish levels with cheesy hardboiled conspiracy cutscenes, plus a few driving stages and gallery shooter levels thrown in here and there.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

flyboi posted:

Sengoku, Riding Hero, CyberLip, Ninja Combat, The Super Spy, Nam-1975, Dunno, Aero Wings, Dunno, Magician Lord, Dunno, Ninja Combat (again) and Neo Geo League Bowling

The "Dunno" before Magician Lord is Blue's Journey. The one after is Alpha Mission 2.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers looks like the cheapest textbook that a community college could offer back in 1985, and the interviews have all sorts of irrelevant asides that should've been cleaned out. But it's magnificently dense with information about underexplored sectors of Japan's game industry. If you enjoy reading about such subjects as Enix's early computer RPGs, Falcom's ins and outs, Konami's unreleased monster-themed fighting game, and the inspiration for Rule of Rose and Chulip, you'll get your money's worth. If you're not into obscure stuff, you may be better off buying a loose Super Metroid or whatever.

Phantasium posted:

Up until I saw Sword Art Online's translation, it was seriously the single worst example of a translation I've ever seen, because if they didn't just straight up throw that through Google Translate then that's amazing.

Sword Art Online? Badly translated?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

This probably won't bother anyone too much, seeing as they haven't made any new games in a long time, but sad news nonetheless:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/newsclip/20141001_669467.html

Westone, the studio behind Wonder Boy/Monster World games, has filed for bankruptcy.

They didn't make many recent games, but they dug up a canceled arcade action-platformer called Aquario of the Clockwork and it sounds awesome. Too bad it probably won't be finished now.

Discount Viscount posted:

Capcom just announced that Strider 2 is coming to PSN as a PS1 Classic next week. loving awesome.

I wonder if it'll include the original, not that that matters much to me since I have Capcom Classics 2.

Funny thing about the Capcom Classics version of Strider: it uses an early release of game that's missing some of the soundtrack. The third and fifth levels just use the first one's music.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

The Taint Reaper posted:

There were two different Capcom Classics releases of Strider.

The disc set had the original version, while the GBA version has the NES version.

Bionic Commando was the same deal.

Yeah, this would be the arcade Strider on Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2. There could be an option to switch between different builds of the game, but I didn't see one.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

d0s posted:

I just think poo poo like that is bizarre, I love old games and don't feel a compulsion to literally wallpaper a room with them, especially if most of them are bad/not worth playing. This thread seems to be a little more about actually enjoying games so yeah I think it's OK to poke fun at these people as happens sometimes here.

EDIT: Here's his Saturn collection (top) and mine (bottom). It looks like the dude just bought the cheapest games to make impressive looking shelves

But where's your Panzer Dragoon Zwei?

You know, even if the Saturn had nothing but the three Panzer Dragoon games, I'd still like it better than every other Sega system.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

The Taint Reaper posted:

You don't need English for the first two games at all.

for Panzer Dragoon Saga there's not a whole shitload of text to begin with and any spoken words are in their made up gibberish language and there's translation guides online.

Most of Saga's voice acting is in Japanese, actually. It uses the fictional language for the first fifteen minutes or so, but after the hero finds the dragon it switches over to Japanese.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I'm just thinking of the compounding of consumer spite here ("I spent more, I deserve better!"), along with the economic demographics of the different platforms. As I see it, a game company would have a greater incentive to make sure the PC experience is at least decent, since PC owners of the time were adults with disposable income.

Adults bought JAMES POND?

I guess that explains the official art.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I didn't know there was a "right" way to collect games.

Right: Owning The Guardian Legend
Wrong: Not Owning The Guardian Legend

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
Wow, a Seta board! Maybe it's an arcade version of Bio Force Ape!

Oh, it says Twin Eagle on that sticker. Never mind.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Shibawanko posted:

Plundered Book off today: found a perfectly functional Saturn with 2 controllers, cables and all that poo poo for 1250 yen, picked up Vampire Hunter, Last Bronx, both Sakura Wars games, and a jewelcase with what I thought was Nights but which turned out to contain Langrisser III, plus loose Panel de Pon and Parodius carts for the SFC. Best 3000 yen I ever spent in total. I'm having a ton of fun with Vampire Hunter.

Any suggestions for other cool Saturn games that I might want to pick up? I checked whether that store had Radiant Silvergun lying around somewhere, but no dice.

Look for Cyberbots, Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 2, and Vampire Savior. They're all excellent and fairly cheap Capcom fighters. You'll need a 4MB RAM cart for Vampire Savior, though.

Definitely check out the Panzer Dragoon games. They're all pretty accessible in Japanese; even Azel/Saga, the RPG, isn't hard to figure out.

Did you get Sakura Wars Columns? It's a neat two-player puzzle game.

Keep an eye out for Steamgear Mash, a fun little diagonal-view shooter.

Burning Rangers is worth getting. Somewhat glitchy, but it has interesting ideas and it's playable in Japanese. The only thing you'll miss is the voice navigation.

If you're good with RPGs in Japanese, go for Tengai Makyo IV and Wachenroder. The former is a nutty RPG set in bizarro 1800s America, and the latter is a decent steam-fantasy strategy game.

Also Princess Crown, Guardian Heroes, Bulk Slash, and Soukyugurentai. But they're not so common.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 12, 2014

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

During my recent retro rights hunt I was told that Power Strike II SMS might be the one non-Puyo game that is still owned by Sega, seeing as they own the Power Strike name and the game was never actually an Aleste game at any point. Weird.

And all of the other Compile games are owned by Compile Heart, no?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I really dislike Ready Player 1 because the main character is a giant manbaby fuckhead and the book presents all of his qualities that realistically are extremely sad and pathetic as being totally cool and awesome.

Sounds like the opposite of Lucky Wander Boy, which I enjoyed for its fascinating fake arcade game and the slow realization that the protagonist is a pretentious, horrible nerd who can't relate to other people and women especially.

As for other video-game books, I like the Udon artbooks for Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, and Mega Man (and a bunch of other games, too). They're mostly illustrations, yes, but you get interviews as well as little artists' notes throughout. The Mega Man books even have a bunch of rejected designs for the robot masters.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 23, 2014

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Random Stranger posted:

Please tell me they're just crayon drawings sent in by kids.

Sadly, no. They're internal concept art.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2012/12/17/concepts-unearthed-the-beginnings-of-mega-man-9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Agrias120 posted:

I've played a lot of catch-up with this thread, so I might have missed it, but what is everyone's favorite horror/spooky/creepy games to play this time of year?

Jack Bros., of course! It even takes place on Halloween! Too bad I sold my Virtual Boy years ago.

I always like to break out the Darkstalkers games when Halloween rolls around. I love all the little details in the animation and the solid fighting game underneath it all. You can get the Resurrection pack for cheap on Xbox Live and PSN, and the Saturn and PlayStation ports of the arcade originals aren't very expensive, either.

Edit: Don't bother with the PSX port of the original, though. For some reason, it slows down randomly.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 25, 2014

• Locked thread