Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armack
Jan 27, 2006
There really are pros and cons to having a retro game store in your area at all. One downside is that retro game stores can cause fewer games to be available through other local (and cheaper) venues like thrift stores and CL. I can't tell you how often I'll contact someone on CL offering something like a collection of SNES rpgs for $5 each, only to be told that the guy who owns the retro store picked them up first. Then I'll walk into the store and see them behind glass for $40-$50 or more. It's a great business practice for a retro game store, but as a collector I miss my cheap games. :(

One positive thing I'll say about the brick-and-mortar stores though is that some of the tech-savvier ones will do cheap mods. When I used to live in St. Louis, there was a place called Trade-n-Games which used to mod systems, mod controllers (like replacing your N64 controller's joystick with a GC joystick), replace batteries, etc. It's nice when a store doesn't just markup and resell games, but offers helpful services to retrogamers who are nervous about doing mods themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The weird thing is that in my school (this would have been Junior High at the tme), SNES and Genesis were equally popular, it's just that the Genesis was seen as cool, and the SNES was seen as for nerds. Again, almost a 50/50 split in popularity of the console, but if you had the SNES you were a nerd and if you had the Genesis you were already smoking cigarettes and drinking. :frogbon:

I had similar observations at the time, but in my case it was elementary school. All the "bad" kids in class had a Genesis and all the nerds had an SNES. People who did not fit neatly into either clique tended not to play video games at all.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
For what it's worth, I figured I'd do a controller review.

Today's Retrogaming Review: The Retrobit Wireless "Super Retro" SNES Controller

Ever wanted to avoid the problems wrought by using a wired SNES controller? Retrobit offers a potential solution, albeit a less-than-ideal one.

Ease of Installation - 5/5

One need not to be very tech savvy to begin using this controller. The provided instructions are crystal clear and the actual process of synching the controller with the wireless receiver is a breeze.

Battery Use - 4/5

The controller's design keeps it from draining its two AAA batteries too quickly. On the bottom face of the controller, there is an off switch. If you forget to use the switch, the controller enters sleep mode soon after you turn off the console. Importantly, turning off the controller does not mean that you will have to re-synch it on your next use.

Responsiveness - 5/5

Lag is not a problem here. When you press the buttons, the game will respond with a speed comparable to wired SNES controllers.

Look and Feel - 3/5

You can't tell from the above pic, but when this controller is on, it shines an obnoxiously bright red light from its front face. Granted this is a helpful hint that your controller is on, but it can be a distraction when playing. The pointed protrusions on either side of the bottom part of the controller might poke uncomfortably in the palm of your hands; personally I prefer the more rounded "dogbone" style. Because of the controller's shape, it feels oddly awkward to hit the select button. I realize that this is by no means the first retro controller to be shaped this way, but during gameplay, the awkward stretch to slide your thumb over to the select key seems uniquely striking. This detail is the type of thing that is hard to convey in a review; you might need to be holding the controller to fully appreciate it.

Accuracy - 2/5

The D-Pad can be game-breakingly terrible. When playing, you may notice that even while exclusively hitting left (for example) on the D-Pad, your character is moving down. This unintended movement is caused by the fact that while depressing the left or right buttons on the D-Pad, a slight bit of pressure in a downward direction will result in your character moving down. The same is true with unintended upward movements if you accidently apply mild upward pressure on the left or right buttons. The problem here is obvious. It is very difficult in the heat of gameplay to depress the left or right D-Pad buttons with so even a touch that all vertical forces are perfectly balanced. Now, other controllers are guilty of this problem as well (for example the FC Twin's default controller is notorious for this) but it is *particularly* bad with this product. Thought it was a good idea to play Pilotwings using Retrobit's wireless controller? Sorry, you'll have to pick a game where direction doesn't matter. :suicide:

Overall - 3/5, recommend seeking alternative products

As much as I love having the freedom of movement of a wireless controller, the lack of good D-Pad accuracy is just too problematic for most games. By getting used to the problem, you can train yourself somewhat to lower the instances of moving/facing in the wrong direction, but for most games, it's worth it just to use a controller that works correctly.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

orphean posted:

They better not foul up the Moon theme.

If they change anything at all, let it be a return to the slower version heard in the prototype.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

If you're going to be doing that, why not hook your computer up to the TV, run some good emulators, and buy those usb cartridge readers and usb controller adapters?

Ehh...because unless your computer is permanently situated near your TV doing that would be a pain in the rear end? Once you decide it isn't necessary to use all original consoles, it's convenient to get a unit which can decently clone multiple systems. You can keep it permanently hooked up right in your living room, man cave, etc., you can enjoy saving space that would have been used up by multiple consoles, and you can appreciate having to use only one power source and video source. The objection right now seems to be "there's no such thing as decent cloning," but it's improving all the time; retron 5 seems like it will be a meaningful step forward.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
I love your NES collection, InvadErGII!

I'm working on one of my own:

Though I mostly concentrate on NES games, I do a little N64 and Sega Genesis also:

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Sylpher posted:

How long have you had your N64 carts that way? With the labels and trying to keep them balanced. Just curious. Before switching to UGC's I had that setup and it drove me bonkers.

Haha, I am remembering an AVGN episode where he criticizes Nintendo for including top labels for NES and SNES games but not for the N64. He says something like, "It's not like they lost the technology to extend the label to the top of the cartridge." As far as labeling them myself, so far it works for me. I do understand though that some would call it heresy. About the balance thing, you're completely right. Stacking N64 games side-by-side on a shelf creates leaning/falling problems. Since N64 is cool but not my main focus, I haven't really let it get to me.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
I'm not trying to be obnoxious with the sideways photos. For some reason no matter the orientation before upload, photobucket reorients them in portrait mode. Rotating images within photobucket itself doesn't seem to help; neither does changing my user settings. Anyway...

*All items now traded*

Armack fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 23, 2013

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

iastudent posted:

It is. The US localization edited some things here and there but it's still pretty blatant with the source material.

Among the most amusing edits is the changing of "panties" to "sandwiches" and flipping the panty graphics upside down because apparently that's supposed to make panties look more sandwich-like.

Edit: Unmature I notice you don't have private messaging. If you'd like to email me to work out a trade or purchase of Dragon Power, my email address is in my last post.

Armack fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 15, 2013

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

This is great. I notice he chose to use eight tracks to capture the magic of a system that could only support five.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

If you get into an awful games fight with me, you're going to lose:

And that's what was handy. I haven't even started digging yet.

Yikes! Is Castlevania 64 really so awful as to be on par with Superman and Deadly Towers? I haven't gotten around to playing it, but in light of your post maybe I shouldn't...

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

univbee posted:

Are you asking for one of those all-in-one systems like the RetroN series? It's probably worth waiting until next month for the RetroN 5's release. Those systems work via emulation and are hit-and-miss with some titles, especially special chip titles.

Am I understanding you correctly that the RetroN 5 is being released next month? Maybe I missed something here, but I'm curious to know where this information came from.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Tyson Tomko posted:

A few pages late but gently caress YEAH Princess Tomato. That's one of my favorite of the weirder games. I love it's Gumbyish rear end art to death.

When I was a kid and rented this, I actually remember saying to myself "man I can't wait to grow up so I can understand what all is going on" and years later when I was grown up BOOYEAH mission accomplished.

Yeah, Princess Tomato seems to be one of the more unique (in a good way) adventure games of its era.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
I'm looking for an armchair economist to explain to me why rare Genesis games are orders of magnitude cheaper than equally rare NES and SNES games. For example, I picked up the Genesis version of Double Dragon for $20, thinking it was a steal, but $20 is actually pretty close to what it's worth. I also own John Madden Football '93 Championship Edition--a rental store exclusive--but that's worth not much more than $20 either. The cheapness of sports games notwithstanding, it's hard to imagine that a rental store exclusive for other consoles like the NES would go for so low a price. What gives? Do collectors just not care about the Genesis?

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
^^^Nope, that pretty much sums it up.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Speaking of retrogame music, I'm curious to know what third party game developers you guys think put out the best 8 or 16 bit music overall. What's the consensus? Capcom, Square, Konami?

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

juliuspringle posted:

Does anyone have any experience with a gamecube style stick in an N64 controller?

Yes, I had this modification done on two N64 controllers and I LOVE the result. I highly recommend Gamecube joysticks in N64 controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
David from Hyperkin answers questions about the RetroN5 here (about nine minutes in). I haven't noticed this link posted in the thread yet, please correct me if I've missed it.

tl;dw version: Basically, the delay in releasing it has been due to a redesign of the console's "look" and additional development of the included features and options. David mentions that a realistic release target at this point would be Mid-October or later.

• Locked thread