Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Motronic posted:

Tell your wife she is being wildly irresponsible and needs to deal with the reality of what is happening right now.

I'm going through similar at the moment - annual family vacation that her parents liked to rent a huge shore house and have all their kids/spouses and the grand kids together. It's normally chaotic and fun. Her dad died a couple years ago. Her mom is going stir crazy with quarantine. Her mom still thinks this is happening in August and I'm gonna have to be the bad guy because it doesn't look like anyone else is stepping in. I'm waiting for this to get closer so hopefully the news sinks in from watching.....the news. There is no responsible way to being together 5+ households to live together for a week right now, 8+ hours away from their homes.

Sorry. Nice meltdown.

Same here, extended family/three households had planned to get together in Florida in mid-July in rented beach houses and I was super reluctant. However, my elderly mother was adamant about going to the beach even though she takes all other precautions. Something happened on a recent, rare outing that scared the pants off her (yay?) enough that she has called it off for us despite losing a chunk of money on the rental. Her siblings and their kids/grandkids are still going, though. One couple is in their late 70s and in poor health so...oof.

Hope your crew also figures it out too. Melt down all you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah it isn’t a discussion at this point for us. Instant (but regretful) no from both of us.

It’s a bummer but there’s no way around it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My wife is also hellbent on a vacation. Just the two of us are going to a friend's house in North Carolina that sits empty most of the year. That was the compromise.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Residency Evil posted:

My wife is also hellbent on a vacation. Just the two of us are going to a friend's house in North Carolina that sits empty most of the year. That was the compromise.

We've done this with a cabin a buddy of mine has in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. It was the only reasonable way to manage getting away. Not that many people are as fortunate as we are to have access to such things.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

We have some friends that have dumped their money into camping gear and just go set up at the state park these days. If you can deal with roughing it, it seems a reasonably safe way to get out without getting near folks. Granted you’d need a hotspot of some kind and reception.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Residency Evil posted:

Same, so we're looking at renting a cabin somewhere within a day's drive because we're gong stir crazy and the lack of anything at all to look forward to in order to break up the monotony is becoming a drag. A few months ago I wouldn't have been down for that but surface transmission appears to be less of a big deal than initially thought so I'd be comfortable enough somewhere that it was just us or even with another couple if they were in a nearby cabin and we only hung out distanced and outdoors. Might consider bringing my own bedding but that'd be the extent of it.

Only problem is it seems like a lot of people are arriving at the same conclusion so reservations are getting booked up for the whole summer already at pretty much everywhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Warbird posted:

We have some friends that have dumped their money into camping gear and just go set up at the state park these days. If you can deal with roughing it, it seems a reasonably safe way to get out without getting near folks. Granted you’d need a hotspot of some kind and reception.

:goonsay: you do not need the internet on a vacation

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you the goonsay or is he the goonsay?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

both really

Warbird
May 23, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh they’re logging hours friend. I’d try and pull the same if I could get away with bridge calls with the background noise and spotty WiFi.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

Please tell my wife that. I made my case a few times and still ended up buying plane tickets yesterday.

You gave in, lots of people are so I'm not gonna give you individual poo poo for it. But lets be clear.

Nobody made you buy a plane ticket to Florida. You decided to do that.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Hello I live in south Florida and work in healthcare. 2 hospitals in ftl have been past capacity and implemented surge protocols within the last 2 days you guys probably shouldnt come

Florid Man says so

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Mackieman posted:

We've done this with a cabin a buddy of mine has in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. It was the only reasonable way to manage getting away. Not that many people are as fortunate as we are to have access to such things.
I tried this angle too. We live 3 hours from Gatlinburg, so the whole argument became "Well we can do that anytime, it's right there. I want to go somewhere!" which I can understand, but maybe not during a global pandemic?

Thoguh posted:

You gave in, lots of people are so I'm not gonna give you individual poo poo for it. But lets be clear.
Nobody made you buy a plane ticket to Florida. You decided to do that.
You're 100% correct. It was Southwest so even if we don't make this trip, I know I'll use the flight credit within a year so there is really zero risk of losing money on this. I'm still secretly hoping that by the time the end of July rolls around, that either A) the niece decides that getting married right now isn't great or B) the venue can't legally be open and either way we don't have to go.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Warbird posted:

Oh they’re logging hours friend. I’d try and pull the same if I could get away with bridge calls with the background noise and spotty WiFi.

Carry on, friend.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Flew to MI a few days ago to help get my girlfriend moved — I would describe the flight as 'somber', but Delta is still being sane when it comes to blocking middle seats, giving you pre-sealed stuff and so on.

Have a test / screen scheduled for when I get back, and then back to hibernating indoors except for trips to Costco.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Warbird posted:

Had a guy call into a call today from a campground. I asked him why he was joining on vacation and he was like, I'm just working remotely, I'm not using vacation time on this. I couldn't decide if that was brilliant or lame.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

cheque_some posted:

Had a guy call into a call today from a campground. I asked him why he was joining on vacation and he was like, I'm just working remotely, I'm not using vacation time on this. I couldn't decide if that was brilliant or lame.

While I'm not all that into camping, getting away and being able to do enough work to not need to take vacation is pretty awesome. Now, if I want to go on an actual vacation that's a whole other thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

cheque_some posted:

The folks I was referring to earlier were doing exactly that at a campsite about 10 minutes from their house as a “test”. They lasted 2 days before the batteries in their fans died and they bailed. They’re going two states over to camp at the beach this weekend and I’m fairly sure they’re going to die.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

cheque_some posted:

Why would this be anything but brilliant?

Or do you all work for some magical non-US company that can't and/or won't fire you without the least bit of remorse or reason at any time for no reason at all?

If you say, "Ixian, you complete gently caress, we're researchers hunting down the cure for child cancer - all of them" - then I stand corrected, but if it is some public we-all-need-to-create-shareholder-value monolith or, worse, some Private Equity backed corporate nightmare sucking the life out of everything around it, then gently caress yes, combine a camping trip with "working remotely". There will never be a better time to attempt it.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I spend my vacation time in the backcountry to get away from the incessant demands of work. WFCampsite sounds awful.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah I don’t understand any idea that being forced to work remotely is lame if you do it from anywhere but your permanent mailing address.

If we didn’t have a cat I would have gotten on one of the last flights to Kyoto and done this whole thing there.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
https://imgur.com/zQMONaf
For whatever reason this wont just show up.

In other good news, no Florida wedding! Got cancelled this past weekend.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 6, 2020

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I take PTO to sit on my couch in my condo 3 blocks from my office and not answer emails and phone calls.

Thanks business travel for killing any general desire to travel when I'm off.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
If you think you'll ever travel again this is the cheapest this B&R 22" bag has ever been at $370.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008M6ZD10

e: it was brief. https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B008M6ZD10

KS fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 12, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KS posted:

If you think you'll ever travel again this is the cheapest this B&R 22" bag has ever been at $370.

22" is $469 on my browser. The 19" is $370. :rip:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 9, 2020

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Waroduce posted:

I take PTO to sit on my couch in my condo 3 blocks from my office and not answer emails and phone calls.

Thanks business travel for killing any general desire to travel when I'm off.

I take vacation time to work on my house. No desire to use any miles or points, especially lately.

Any good suggestions on a full sized (as big as you can check) suitcase or preferably rolling duffel for weekly use? I have an Eagle Creek Rolling duffel on its last legs that I kinda like that's lasted a few years and haven't decided if I'm going to get another or something different.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Rimowa if you want to be flash, Briggs and Riley if you don’t?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

drgitlin posted:

Rimowa if you want to be flash, Briggs and Riley if you don’t?

Pretty much. I got a 30" B&R hard side from Amazon for $270 because the box was torn up even though the bag itself was brand new. Options exist like that from time to time if you watch for it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

KS posted:

e: it was brief. https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B008M6ZD10

$331 now. Crazy. Apparently Amazon thinks we'll never travel again.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
I forgot this thread/the forums existed. I just pushed all my fall travel to next year, we'll see if any of that even happens.

One thing I've noticed is that customer chat support on Twitter/apps/whatever has been better than calling. Straight up. I'm assuming this may or may not be related due to the massive layoffs/furloughs that are done through the unions by seniority and the social media agents are on a different contract than the call center/reservations agents.

My flight was canceled by American, and I just had an American phone agent try to tell me that rebooking is "voluntary" if I wanted different dates or have them re-accommodate me on another airline. gently caress American.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

CK line is good, EXP line is mostly good but can miss, but Twitter was always great even before Covid, and they don’t care about your status.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

sellouts posted:

CK line is good, EXP line is mostly good but can miss, but Twitter was always great even before Covid, and they don’t care about your status.

United no-status now outsources to the Philippines for a lot of incoming calls, and it's pretty miserable dealing with the call center. It started with the EU airlines. Lufthansa has been doing it forever, and now Air France and KLM does as well.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I got an email that AA is partnering with JetBlue?! Anyone know details?

Message text:

quote:

Today, we’re excited to announce a new partnership with JetBlue to bring you more choice, more benefits and the opportunity to reach more destinations with ease.

This new relationship brings:

Improved Experience
Get to your destination with ease by booking a single ticket with either airline for one-stop check-in and seamless connections. You’ll also enjoy an improved on-the-ground experience and more comfort in transcontinental service with access to JetBlue’s Mint and American’s three-class Transcon service.

New Routes
Beginning in 2021, this new relationship gives you access to more destinations from New York (JFK) including Tel Aviv (TLV), Athens (ATH), and the return of seasonal service to Rio de Janeiro (GIG). In the future, this new partnership is certain to facilitate American adding new long-haul markets in Europe, Africa, India and South America.

Loyalty Benefits
We’re always looking for ways to expand value for our AAdvantage® members. We look forward to sharing information about new loyalty benefits for AAdvantage® and TrueBlue members soon.

We’re proud to bring you this opportunity to plan new adventures when you’re ready to travel, and help you get even more from your relationship with American. Thank you for your loyalty.
]

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I wonder if this means JetBlue is joining OneWorld?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cacafuego posted:

Message text:
]

It's hitting the news. Presumably it's to avoid bankruptcy.

Just lol at the idea of global travel resuming to where it used to be quickly.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, I don't take this as good news. I like JetBlue and this is clearly a precursor to a merger because consolidation has to look really attractive to airlines as they continue to hemorrhage cash.

So it's another airline that Doug Parker can ruin. :sigh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Message text:
]

:rip: JetBlue

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah, rip

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, I don't take this as good news. I like JetBlue and this is clearly a precursor to a merger because consolidation has to look really attractive to airlines as they continue to hemorrhage cash.

So it's another airline that Doug Parker can ruin. :sigh:

AA is also partnering with Alaska, and I highly doubt all three of them are going to merge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Small White Dragon posted:

AA is also partnering with Alaska, and I highly doubt all three of them are going to merge.

I think both AS and B6 are ripe targets for consolidation efforts. The AS move was completely about taking on DL at SEA. Consider the fleet and route implications of the combination of AS on the west coast, B6 on the east coast, and AA as it exists with the opportunity to expand internationally where the revenue is; it would vault AA right over DL in nearly every metric except comfort for their customers which is a tertiary concern at best for AA (and UA for that matter). Even if the economic situation at AA isn't as dire as I think it is, they'll use this situation as an opportunity. I think the B6 tie up is due diligence under another name.