Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Astro7x posted:

drat, maybe I should reconsider getting VC titles until the WiiU VC service starts. I just have a feeling all this stuff is going to be offered again at some point as a Wii U VC title and I won't have to pay the upgrade fee if I just wait it out

The two handheld games won't be. The only handheld games the Wii U VC is getting are GBA games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Which eShop? The 3DS is starting to get legit eShop games at a decent click, NA got three of 'em last week.

The Wii U eShop is definitely slow, partly because Nintendo has been slow at supplying dev kits but also because there's just a lack of indie interest in the eShop in general - they were all so turned off by WiiWare that they've been slow to accept the Wii U as a viable digital platform, even in spite of all the reports saying it has the best digital console environment around.

Yeah, they always do, but they never bother to specify so I always hold out hope that they're talking simultaneous worldwide release windows.

The 3DS eShop. I mean really, "Viking Invasion 2 - Tower Defense"? I can't actually remember the last proper eShop game that came out that wasn't a puzzle game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kersploosh just came out last week, that's not a puzzle game.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Wikipedia posted:

Kersploosh!, known in Europe as Splash or Crash and in Japan as Hyu~ Stone (ひゅ~ストン Hyu~suton?), is a puzzle video game

:colbert:

Though honestly I'd never heard of that and it does look more actiony than puzzley. Though with a name like Splash or Crash, of course I was going to think it was shovelware :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The 3DS eShop. I mean really, "Viking Invasion 2 - Tower Defense"? I can't actually remember the last proper eShop game that came out that wasn't a puzzle game.

Nano Assault EX, shmup, came out last week.

Nintendo has announced a bunch of eShop games that should be out in the not-too-distant future - a Dillon's Rolling Western sequel, a 3D Mario vs DK game, plus Game Freak's Harmoknight which will be out sometime this month - plus there's a bunch of third-party stuff that should show up later in the year (Shantae 3, Mighty Switch Force 2, whatever bullshit Nicalis announced last year that never came out).

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Gunman Clive isn't shovelware :colbert: Just in case we aren't done proving our point yet.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

katkillad2 posted:

Gunman Clive isn't shovelware :colbert: Just in case we aren't done proving our point yet.

I'm glad I looked this up again because it looks much better in motion than it does in screenshots, where it looks awful. I'll probably pick this up, thanks! My 3DS has just been collecting dust since release, basically.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm glad I looked this up again because it looks much better in motion than it does in screenshots, where it looks awful. I'll probably pick this up, thanks! My 3DS has just been collecting dust since release, basically.

I thought it was a pretty charming game for the $2 dollar price tag. The game has a megaman vibe to it in regards to gameplay. It's a little on the short side, but there is some replayability with extra characters and again it's only 2bux so I was ok with the length.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I swear that every time you guys mention the awesome stuff in the Stars catalogue in the US I tear up a bit here when I consider the dross on the AU version. :(. Also, great tip on Gunman Clive! :D

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Is there an expiration date for the codes you get from buying games with Club Nintendo coins? I don't have a 3DS but I will one day and wouldn't mind having Kid Icarus to play then.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Fawf posted:

Is there an expiration date for the codes you get from buying games with Club Nintendo coins? I don't have a 3DS but I will one day and wouldn't mind having Kid Icarus to play then.
Someone on Nintendo's official tech support forum says they don't expire. I got a few games that way and didn't see anything about them expiring, so I doubt they do.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Obeast posted:

Someone on Nintendo's official tech support forum says they don't expire. I got a few games that way and didn't see anything about them expiring, so I doubt they do.
I recently entered codes from games I bought in like 2005 (GameCube and original DS mostly; some GBA too) and the Club Nintendo site accepted them just fine. They still sent the "post play surveys" afterwards too, for even more coins. So yeah I don't think expiration is an issue.

EDIT: just realized I misunderstood the original question, but I'll leave that up there as an unrelated FYI. My point was in regard to registering retail games in Club Nintendo.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 13, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of March 14):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Chasing Aurora (demo)
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pets Resort 3D - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS eSHOP
    Viking Invasion 2 - Tower Defense - €7.99 / £6.49
    Jewel Master Atlantis 3D - €4.99 / £4.49
    NARUTO Powerful Shippunden (demo, available until April 4)
DSiWARE
    Goony - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until March 21
    F-ZERO (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30, available until March 21

NA update (week of March 14):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO City Undercover (March 18) - $49.99
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (March 19) - $59.99
    Need For Speed: Most Wanted U (March 19) - $59.99
    The Croods: Prehistoric Party (March 19) - $39.99
WII U eSHOP
    Chasing Aurora (demo)
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Rayman Origins - ?
    Reel Fishing 3D Paradise - ?
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (March 19) - $39.99
    The Croods: Prehistoric Party (March 19) - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    HarmoKnight (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man 3 (NES) - $4.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Lost Bloodlines #3 (Seliph) - $2.50
  • Smash Brethren #1 (Elincia) - $3.00
  • Smash Pack (contains Smash Brethren #1, #2 [Eirika] and #3 [Lyn]) - $6.50
DSiWARE
    Forgotten Legions - 500 Points / $4.99
    Goony - 200 Points / $1.99
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Ketzal's Corridors (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until March 21
    F-ZERO (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30, available until March 20
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30, available from March 20

The prices for retail downloads aren't listed on the NA press releases, so if someone with a NA 3DS could post the prices for Rayman/Reel Fishing that'd be helpful.

HarmoKnight is a rhythm/action game from Game Freak, the makers of Pokemon; the full game should be out on the eShop at the end of the month for around $15.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Man, I just had to find out what a game called Goony and costing only 2€ was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJyq8FlgJmM

Watching that video I still have no idea what it's about, but whatever it is doesn't look fun nor do I have a clue why it's called Goony.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Man I love interlacing in my game trailers composed entirely of digital assets.

Also, is that a loving Q-Bert clone? Why?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Saoshyant posted:

Man, I just had to find out what a game called Goony and costing only 2€ was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJyq8FlgJmM

Watching that video I still have no idea what it's about, but whatever it is doesn't look fun nor do I have a clue why it's called Goony.
Is anyone actually making money of DSiWare any more? Pretty much everything I see on there is shovelware that I can't imagine anyone buying.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I checked and Rayman is 29.99 and Reel 3D is 19.99.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think that Goony trailer broke my eyes

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Haha, Goony looks so goddamn bad. Truly disgraces the word "goon"!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think the worst DSiWare trailer I've seen is the one for the Jagged Alliance port that's clearly just a dude pointing his camera at his DS.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think the worst DSiWare trailer I've seen is the one for the Jagged Alliance port that's clearly just a dude pointing his camera at his DS.
Oh my god, who thought this was a good idea?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LFXuew8qG8

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is Ketzal's Corridors any good?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

elf help book posted:

It's not bad but man it is right up there with Pushmo/Crashmo in the "completely loving wrecking my brain because I am just godawful at spatial reasoning" category. Might just be me though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of March 21):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - €59.99/£49.99
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Packet Relay Tools for Nintendo 3DS (free, out March 22)
    Need For Speed: Most Wanted U - €59.99/£49.99
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - €44.99/£39.99
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Data Transfer Program (free, out March 22)
    My Foal 3D - €29.99/£24.99
3DS eSHOP
    The Beet Party: Call Me Aneek Neek (video) - €0.99/£0.89
    HarmoKnight (demo)
DSiWARE
    Bloons TD4 - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Pokedex 3D Pro (3DS eShop) - €11.99/£10.79 until April 4
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until March 21
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.99 until March 24
    F-ZERO (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30, available until March 20
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30, available from March 20
    ZombiU (Wii U Retail Download) - €34.99/£29.99 until April 4th
    Assassin's Creed III (Wii U Retail Download) - €29.99/£29.99 until April 4th
    Just Dance 4 (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/£19.99 until April 4th
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/£19.99 until April 4th
    Rabbids Land (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/£19.99 until April 4th
    Sports Connection (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/£19.99 until April 4th
    Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/£19.99 until April 4th

Lots of discounts starting this week, although most of 'em are Ubisoft Wii U games that you will have already bought (or decided you don't want).

The MH3U "Packet Relay Tool" lets you play the 3DS version of the game online via your Wii U; the save transfer app lets you transfer save data between the Wii U and 3DS versions of the game.

Punch-Out is NTSC/60HZ, too, just in case anyone was worried. I guess they really learned their lesson.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I think Bloons TD4 is the best of the Bloons/BloonsTD series.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega is releasing 3D Super Hang-On on the JP 3DS eShop next week (click) - much like 3D Space Harrier, there are a ton of different options and configs, suspend/checkpoint saves, a jukebox and a few other little gimmicks like gyro controls.

Space Harrier and Super Hang-On now occupy two of the four spaces at the top of the page, which means Sega's planning on releasing two more of these 3D arcade remakes. Outrun and Afterburner II seem like the obvious choices.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

elf help book posted:

If you love decoding levels and learn complex button sequences by muscle memory[1] just to get a higher score it's a good game with a good production value, tons of levels, interesting graphics and an excellent 3D. But do not expect it to be deeper than "Human Tetris: the videogame".

[1] well, some levels, like the endless tower, are random, so there is some variety, but the core of the game has "fixed runs".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some ex-WayForward devs are running a Kickstarter for a pseudo-retro platformer called Shovel Knight - it's in development for PC, Wii U and 3DS and if you donate $15 you'll get a free download code for the platform of your choice when it's done:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Some ex-WayForward devs are running a Kickstarter for a pseudo-retro platformer called Shovel Knight - it's in development for PC, Wii U and 3DS and if you donate $15 you'll get a free download code for the platform of your choice when it's done:

Shovel you say

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

I just backed it purely too show support for developers offering non-PC codes as rewards. My laptop isn't what it used to be.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are Little Inferno/Chasing Aurora worth buying? Might pick those up while they're on sale.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Bread Liar

KimT posted:

Are Little Inferno/Chasing Aurora worth buying? Might pick those up while they're on sale.

I really liked Little Inferno but it's short and the gameplay is limited. Worth $5 or $7.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Little Inferno has an incredible sense of humor. It's well worth playing through at least once.

There are like 4-5 puzzles that are incredibly stupid and obscure but other than those it's not super hard to figure out.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I only read the OP and skimmed the thread, but I noticed some talk about the WiiU VC popping up on the last couple of pages. Has there been any new info on that, like if/when it will start and what will be on it? I know I'll probably be disappointed, but I'd kill for the GameCube to be on VC. I just can't seem to find a working copy of Paper Mario II, and it'd be perfect if I could play a digital copy.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They've given no word about the WiiU VC other than it's coming in a spring update and the three games released so far show off what the emulator can do like remap controls and off-screen play. There will also be GBA games too. No word on Gamecube games but they are re-releasing an improved Wind Waker this fall on disc and most likely digitally as well, which says to me any Gamecube re-releases will be their own thing and not connected to the Virtual Console. But that is just a guess.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Is Zen pinball 2 still coming tomorrow to the U.S. or have they delayed it again? :(

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
So I can't get on the eShop.

Yeah apparently my US Wii U tried downloading a Japanese Voucher for DQX Using Wii Points in a Japanese vWii Shop Channel and because of that I'm getting error 105-3102.

Support is no help at all, no explanation as to why its happening or what I can do, just to call them.

Guess I'm not getting Punch-Out.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

Has anyone bought the Mega Man 3ds eshop rereleases? I'm considering picking them up just because I love Mega Man but the screenshots they have up for preview make it look like it has a horribly weird and small resolution. Can anyone confirm whether it actually looks good or not?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Andronian posted:

Has anyone bought the Mega Man 3ds eshop rereleases? I'm considering picking them up just because I love Mega Man but the screenshots they have up for preview make it look like it has a horribly weird and small resolution. Can anyone confirm whether it actually looks good or not?

I bought Mega Man 1 & 2 and they run flawless, with the same glitches (select glitch) and all present. Dunno if it looks blurry on a regular 3DS since I played them on the 3DS XL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The regular 3DS and the XL have the same resolution, any blurring would be present on either.

DS and virtual console games can be played in two modes; by default, they're scaled to fill the screen, which results in blurring that isn't friendly to pixel art. If you hold start/select, you can display them at the original, lower resolution for a crisper image.