Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I can't access the EU store. It just tries to connect for nearly two minutes, then gives me an error code. My connection's fine. Any clue on what's going on?

e: the 3DS store. I forgot this thread is multiplatform.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Managed to connect to the shop today. And what the hell? Why is Crashmo 2€ more expensive than Pushmo? Pushmo was an easy recommendation for anyone with a 3DS, not only because of its beautiful simplicity, but its cheap price. I expected Crashmo to be the same.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

In Cave Story's case, the game hasn't been released in PAL territories at all

An addendum to others that you are talking about the downloadable version. There is a retail, graphically different edition of the game. It is apparently rather rare to find now, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

European codes should work everywhere here. Buying games from all over Europe, I have activated British, French, Italian, and German codes quite a few times without issue.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The demo for Castlevania is up in Europe in case you would like to see how it turned out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

They're releasing the CPP XL in Europe because of Monster Hunter. While it's a dumb thing the demo doesn't support it, I imagine it's to reduce its file size.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Man, I just had to find out what a game called Goony and costing only 2€ was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJyq8FlgJmM

Watching that video I still have no idea what it's about, but whatever it is doesn't look fun nor do I have a clue why it's called Goony.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Fractured Soul has been out for a while, hasn't it? Did anyone actually buy it? How is it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Pokedex sale in Europe: 12€. Pokedex sale in US: $10. Ugh.

I do find it interesting they keep giving some DLC for free for earlier adopters, first with NSMB2, then Fire Emblem, and now the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. It's a good way to get people to buy games at full price. Even though Nintendo games never go down in price anyway :haw:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 22, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Speaking of updates, did the Swapnote -- excuse me, Letter Box -- one ever showed up in Europe? I think I have occasionally checked the eShop for updates in the past two weeks or so without anything popping up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Seriously? I'm receiving notes using new features which I can't even see properly. What's Shibata doing? He was all "let's make Nintendo Europe work" and now we can't even get basic software updates simultaneously?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Balcony posted:

We can still receive US notes, but what's weird is when you open a letter the thumbnail pages can be in different colours, but the game will still only display the actual full sized letter in 1 colour for all pages.

I noticed that, but there's also something new with pics and those pics only show up on the thumbnail. Either way, I guess we are to blame Reggie for jumping the gun on this one?

jtm33 posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but why don't they use the US version?

It's a semantics thing. Why use the US version when the EU one is better or the same? I'm glad they are using the American versions when it's justified.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Suda's making a sequel as a visual novel. For some reason. It's for the PS3, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm serious. CoD, AC and GTA were all on DS.

And the only good one of those was GTA and it sold gently caress all, so they aren't making more. Considering how shovelware-ish the Vita's AC and COD are do you really want them on the 3DS? The companies behind them will never put their own studios working on handheld versions, leaving it to be outsourced to the lowest bidder.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

elf help book posted:

Zen Pinball is in the Windows 8 Store and I think is coming to Steam or some other PC platform eventually.

I think you are mistaking Pinball Arcade with Zen Pinball, the latter being available only on PS3, 3DS, and Android/iOS.

Anyhow, question: the free DLC for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (PAL) is available until when? Or has that promo expired already? e: oh, wait! The game isn't even out here yet. Hearing people talk about it obviously confused me. :doh:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 30, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm curious on Starship Damrey impressions. If anyone bites in please share how much you like/hate it.

The PAL version of the FE "Summer Scramble" DLC is uncensored, or so I'm told. Have fun gawking at Tharja in her bikini, weirdos!

Just don't mention her "white, soft, boingy bits". :laugh: Following the censorship woes in both NA and EU has been rather amusing.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 16, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Also the save and load times are really fast if you have the digital version.

Uh, that's odd. There shouldn't be a noticeable difference. Placebo effect or is it really that noticeable?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Spiffster posted:

Is it different for EU gamers?

Yes, VAT is included on the final price in most, if not all, European countries.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Spiffster posted:

I could have afforded Trine if Sales Tax was included... I got The Cave instead
Unfortunately for you, Trine is the superior game. While many (including me) had high hopes for The Cave because it was Ron Gilbert's pet project, it turned out to be uninspired, repetitive, and even dumb in places. It appears Gilbert hit gold once with Monkey Island and stopped there. It's still playable and you will hopefully enjoy it, just not as much as Trine, which is a great take on the old Lost Vikings formula with couch and online multiplayer.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

I was planning on picking up Luigi's mansion and DKCR3D next month, but now I'm tempted to get Fire Emblem too so I can get Animal Crossing for free.

About that, I got a code for Fire Emblem but since I'm not getting the other games I've been considering selling it cheap for someone who wants to get the fourth game in the promotion. If you are interested I can make a thread on SA Mart.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wait, the flagship Mario game doesn't work with the Pro Controller? As in, the alternative controller they introduced right alongside the console to play any game a player wouldn't want to use the tablet with? That's incredibly shortsighted.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if you outgrow your 3DS SD card can you easily transfer the contents to a bigger one?

Yes. I do appreciate that Nintendo uses standard cards and file systems (and so should you).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

the rumoured physical release someone found on amazon.co.uk

Are you mistaking this with Super Luigi U, which is getting a standalone version alongside the download-only DLC? A VC game shouldn't be getting a physical release, especially one as niche as Earthbound.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mario Bros was one of my first videogames what with Nintendo not officially releasing their systems here in the very early 90's, Famiclones were absurdly common and my 20-in-1 cart had that game, along with Galaga, Galaxian, and Pacman to name a few. 15 years later, I bought one of the GBA Super Mario games just to have the old Mario Bros around and did it not disappoint.

It's a rather simple formula, sure, but it requires a good bit of improvising strategies in later stages. And that's the reason I still like that thing -- it's not all twitch platforming but figuring out what floor to be on to evade the energy balls, the ultra fast enemies, or the frozen blocks, and still manage to get as many coins as possible. It's true to its arcade roots, which is why it's great for a portable system.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Call Now posted:

Which brings me to an important question: How do I delete demos?

In the system settings there's something about data management. That's how you delete demos and trailers.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Some may say Tetris DS is superior, but it's Tetris. It's well done. And it's portable in its digital format. Go for it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Why have I never heard of Link n' Launch before? I'm baffled. I thought I knew the good DSiWare stuff.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hey, this is possibly the thread's first Japanese eShop update:

3DS

Downloadable Titles
Swords and Soldiers 3D - 800 yen
Touch Battle Sensha 3D - 2 (Touch Battle Tank 2) - 500 yen
peakvox Cube Tactics - 800 yen
Maru Gōkaku! Tatsuken Shiken - 2,800 yen
Kuma Tomo DEMO - FREE

Virtual Console
Famicom Mukashi-banashi Shin Onigashima (zengohen) (Famicom) - 500 yen
Ganbare Goemon Gaiden Kieta Ōgon Kiseru (Famicom) - 500 yen

Wii U

Downloadable Titles
Rabids Land (retail title) - 4,200 yen

Virtual Console
Super Mario Bros. (Famicom) - 500 yen
Punch-Out!! (Famicom) - 500 yen

There's a video for Cube Tactics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2nHXCQSC_o

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mario & Yoshi was actually one of the games I was excited to find out were part of the 3DS Ambassador titles. I always had a soft spot for it for some reason, even though so many better puzzle games exist.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Call Now posted:

Is Harvest Moon: A Tale of Two Towns the good new game?

Tale of Two Towns is the absurdly buggy one that has been completely outdone by a New Beginning. Don't touch it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Call Now posted:

But A New Beginning will probably never come out in Europe and I'm itching to play some Harvest Moon :(

As I have just said in the main thread, New Beginning is coming out here this year. It was just announced earlier this month.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Call Now posted:

And what about Rune Factory 4, still nothing?

Alas, nothing it is. XSEED seems to be having problems with it, too. God knows if any company here will try to bring it along. NISA only seems to cover the Atlus games, Rising Star seems to have given up localizing anything lately, Zen United is a mess (hope they don't gently caress up with New Beginning), and Ghostlight, well, I think we all hope Ghostlight will go under one day.

I do hope NOE take on themselves to localize more games in Europe. They did a swell job with the final four big titles for the Wii, and seem to be doing it again with Bravely Default.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 13, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And, hey, why not mention the fact that until the Dreamcast all games ran 17% slower here. And even afterwards, when most PS2 developers didn't want to adopt the frequency selector and we ended up with its most highly expected game, Final Fantasy X, looking squashed with big black borders and running at snail speed. It was rather amusing seeing chubby Tidus running around like he was inside a pool.

This concept now seems so alien that just the possibility of getting VC games in 2013 afflicted by this issue led to so much noise that Nintendo eventually heard and changed the policy to either release straight up American versions or "optimized" PAL ones.

The fact NOE and Sony have been throwing us down some bones lately is a miracle, all things considered. Yeah, poo poo isn't perfect, games are still overpriced and they will sometimes take a year to get here (Persona 4 Arena, Harvest Moon New Beginning), but drat if the situation hasn't improved a million times over.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The Mega Drive one, while great, shows obvious signs of being experimental, a first attempt at making an original platformer. The Master System one, coming out later, is rather more focused. I like them both a great deal and can't point which one is my favorite, but I can imagine that there are people who prefer the 8 bit version simply because it's a really well done platformer -- even the chaos gems are secrets you have to find on the stages themselves.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I heard quite a few good things about the Japanese service, so I'm happy to see it expanding elsewhere. Of course it will live or die by its music catalog.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

There's an EU and US Direct "minis" up on Youtube.

One interesting bit on the US stream is that Earthbound comes with the strategy guide.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It would be weird not to, but alas Nintendo, so can any European confirm that our version of Earthbound also comes with the strategy guide?

vvv oh. I missed that bit and figured it was a built-in manual.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 18, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Apparently, Myst got its price reduced to $5 in the NA eShop. No way for me to confirm from here.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Let's go photo! With very mild violence.

The multi-platform bit is weird. Very rarely does Nintendo release one of their games in more than one system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

PAL update (week of September 12)

Not that I care about whatever the hell "Secrets of the Titanic 1912-2012" is, but is that price correct? 11€ and Ł1? Even for Europe, that seems absurd if true.