Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I got a 3DS a few days ago and I feel like I've lost my mind. The eshop is a pain in the rear end to navigate, but despite that I feel like I found F-Zero Maximum Velocity two nights ago. I was going to buy it but decided to wait until I played some original GB games.

I logged in today to buy it and I can't find it. Is there some trick to this store I'm just missing that makes it less difficult to navigate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Artix74 posted:

You didn't, because Maximum Velocity was one of the GBA Ambassador games that isn't available on the shop. No idea what the hell you saw, but that wasn't it.

Ah. I simply went insane then, that's good to know.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Aero Porter is REALLY fun. It's a different sort of puzzle game than I expected. I kept making mistakes and thinking that would screw me over for the level, but instead the game expects you to make mistakes and just minimize the harm from them. The pace picks up really quickly too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there some particular reason that, say, NES games will come out for one VC system and not the other? Why release SMB2 for Wii U and not 3DS? Is there some high-level strategy I'm just not seeing here?

I'm guessing if they release something on both platforms at the same time very few people will buy it on both. But if they stagger it, they'll get some people who will say "I haven't played this in awhile... why not have a portable/home console version too!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I take it the VC Trial series is definitely over at this point?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was mostly ok with the Wii Virtual Console. It was the first time Nintendo ran such a service and in the first year it felt like a decent amount of games came out. It wasn't the amount of games anyone hoped for, but there were games. It's almost a year and we get Super Mario Bros as the sole game this week. Amazing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Guilty posted:

And the 3DS gets Solomon's Key, which so many people were clamoring for.

To me I log into the 3DS eshop and I see games I haven't played in a long time or missed because there was so much shovelware on the Gameboy. That doesn't make it good, but at least the old games on there feel new. The stuff on the Wii U Virtual Console feels like games I could rediscover years ago.

I am also the one person on the planet who was excited to see Kirby's Block Ball on there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
They couldn't do SoR 2 or 3 because it would lead to arguments over which is better. Well... I'd be arguing with people that 3 is the best and feeling sad that almost no one would agree. I do have a good deal of nostalgia for the first one though, it was the first Genesis game I played through.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The T posted:

It was a neat Pinball game made by HAL, and sort of a precursor to Kirby's Pinball Land.

I love Kirby's Pinball Land so much that I pretty much have to get this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Anyone know some of the better Game Boy classic games? Would any of the Super Mario Lands or Zelda DX be worth revisiting beyond a nostalgia kick?

If you like pinball Kirby's Pinball Land is a ton of fun.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers

You can get Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge for 3DS or Mega Man X for Wii U for only $2 from now until Wednesday.

Probably just a North American deal.

I'm not a big Mega Man fan but that was a good enough deal to get me to buy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Shouldn't the Club Nintendo rewards be out by now?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Can't begin to express how pissed I was that I almost got SMRPG and then realized it was that bullshit wii-mode version that won't let me play off-tv. Thought that poo poo would be Wii-U mode already, don't know why I'm surprised since Virtual Console support has been dogshit for years.

You can play it off screen you just need to use a Wii controller.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

The only F-Zero game I've played is GP Legend for the GBA, which I played way back when as a teenager and loved the hell out of. I recently dug it up again and oh god now I've got a taste for GOTTA GO FAST. :flashfap: I know as soon as my next paycheck comes in I'm going to hunt down a copy of F-Zero GX. In the meantime, though, a couple questions about the ones available on the VC.

1) Does F-Zero SNES have enough content to justify the $8 price tag? (I know, I know, really should have grabbed it while it was a reward, but I didn't. Stupid!)

2) Is F-Zero X only compatible with classic controllers on the Wii U? I only have one of those but I want to play multiplayer with my boyfriend. He's not much for most video games but I'll bet his Sonic Transformed addiction will transfer over nicely into F-Zero.

If you loved GP Legend you'll probably like the original F-Zero quite a bit.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm really confused about Nintendo's Sega Saturn announcement tactics but I guess I'll give it a look.

Also Aria of Sorrow is like worth a lot of money on the collector's market in box. Like $200+ new. I wonder if Konami will also submit Contra 4.

For a second I thought you were saying we were getting Saturn games. That'd be too fitting for the Wii U.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

Golden Sun is a fantastic game that looks god drat beautiful on a big screen, so y'all should get on that as F-Zero GBA isn't that great.

Unless I can race futuristic hover machines at high speeds in Golden Sun I will be buying F-Zero.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There are multiple games I want to buy on the eshop, I don't understand this world I am living in.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Purple D. Link posted:

Is F-Zero X worth my 200 coins if I already have GX for the Gamecube?

If you really like GX and don't mind reduced visuals it is definitely worth it. There are a ton of great courses and the X mode randomizer creates some amusing weirdness. Plus DEATH RACE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't know why I was so hyped up to buy DKC today but I sure was. Oh well!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The T posted:

Do the GBA games on the WiiU VC have any sort of multiplayer at all? Even 2-player? If not, I don't see any point of Super Circuit at all (although even 2-player probably isn't worth it...)

It's still a really fun game with some good courses. If Mario Kart isn't your thing except as a party game I can see skipping it, but for people like me who love Super Mario Kart it is a must have.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Somehow I don't have Pilotwings on my Wii or Wii U so this is a good offering for me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Speaking of Wii VC, I've got 1200 points still on there, barring any N64 games (Because I own most of them already) what would be some personal goon recommendations?

The NES Burgertime is a really good version of that game.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sweet, I don't have Metroid yet and I can snatch Kirby for my little cousin.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
How big is Darksiders II? I'm guessing I don't have room for it since I have G&W, SLU and Pikmin 3 on my HD but maybe I can squeeze it in if it is small enough.

From Nintendo's site I am led to believe I cannot gift DLC, is there any way around that? It'd be nice to give my cousins the Mario Kart DLC and still get DD points.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Echophonic posted:

RIP Nintendo eShop. It was nice while it lasted.

Haha oh no, I told my Aunt to set up their Wii U the night before to avoid this, I hope she got around to it early.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hakkesshu posted:

That's kind of the point, something like DKCR is basically THE use case for the classic controller, but they decided not to use it because ??? which is potentially game ruining now and forever. It's just so... Nintendo.

I can't understand anyone who let that be game ruining. The waggle maybe misfired for me twice and if people can speed run the game with precision it can't be a big deal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Honestly the opening parts in Galaxy 1 soured me on the game. Mario always starts with easy levels, but that on top of a dumb boring story and a rather complex hub-world made me decide to simply not get into the meat of things since I only had a couple of hours through a few days to play it as it was loaned to me.
Then I heard Galaxy 2 fixed everything I didn't like so I bought it and it was tight level design and gameplay all day every day with barely anything inbetween.

I'll probably pick up Galaxy 1 when it comes out in the eShop, tho.

Anyway, I forgot how it works, but we should expect Club Nintendo games to change tomorrow noon, right? I hate how I always get excited for them even though I know they'll always disappoint.

The hub world felt like such a mish mash of nothing. The Castle is a castle, Sunshine has a town. Galaxy is kind of a spaceship, but it doesn't really look like one, it's just a bunch of stuff that feels like it is designed to waste my time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Super Monkey Ball Jr. was a pretty good conversion, all things considered.

They really bit off more than they could chew with Crazy Taxi, however:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoNrBbAphMY

Good god is that ugly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I waited and waited for the DKC games and of course they come out after I promised myself I wouldn't spend money for a few weeks. Decisions, decisions.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am excited to see those two Culture Brain games because it gives me hope Super Baseball Simulator 1000 will come out on the Wii U VC. That game is incredible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Hoo-hoo! Just what I needed!

All the added GBA sound effects in SNES ports are pretty annoying, but not gamebreaking all things considered.

The actual worst part of GBA Yoshi's Island is the crappier Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy graphics.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MinibarMatchman posted:

why the gently caress does NA get yet another completely worthless 2D FZero instead of Zero Mission

Because F-Zero is better than Metroid and has never had a bad game. Some people like different things, to me GP Legend is way more exciting than Zero Mission.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I hope people check out Yoshi Touch and Go. It's a limited but really fun score attack game. It holds the unimpressive distinction of being the best post SMW2 Yoshi's Island themed gae.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stan Taylor posted:

Does NSMB2 have a challenge mode like the Wii U one has? That's the only game I don't have from the plat rewards that looks appealing to me. Might just pawn off the Donkey Kong Code for more more bux or something though. Pretty disappointed in their Wii U offerings this year.

The Coin Rush DLC is really great and worth buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yoshi Touch & Go is the second-best Yoshi game. Meditate on that for a second.

It's really fun though! (Yoshi's Cookie is better.)