Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Basement work in progress:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Great Giant Bomb article by the other 'Scoops'.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
"Great" is pushing it. They misidentify a note from your sister as a note from your brother and they seem to be trying to make the game sound like a horror game, despite the fact that the developers seem to be going for more of a sense of "unease if you want to feel it, comfort if you want to feel it" which is, according to the devs, the response they've gotten from playtesters. Here is a better preview.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This is a very important video to watch if you are interested in this game, or if you aren't, or if you're unsure as to whether you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgJyRZ-W_ok

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

I watched the first youtube video and read a bunch of the linked previews, but most talked about the narrative, context, game mechanics, and I didn't see the following details mentioned anywhere (not sure if they're even finalized and/or announced yet).

Has there been any statement regarding basic system requirements? I really want to play this, and, not that the graphics look bad or anything, but at the moment they almost seem like my terribly outdated system could run it. The requirements for Dear Esther are way out of my league. Once a game starts requiring advanced shaders and the like, I'm hosed.

I noticed it was nominated for an audio award. Is this for ambient sound and effects, or is there a soundtrack as well? The youtube video had no in-game music from what I saw. I feel like some perfectly-fitted, ambiguously nostalgic music occurring at certain points when you come across various objects or details would increase the poignancy of what you're finding in the house, so just curious.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If Dear Esther is way out of your computer's league I'd be worried - Unity isn't a very demanding engine, but then again neither is Source. I'm sure they'll release system requirements at some point.

I haven't heard anything about a soundtrack, one way or another.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

I can run Half-Life 2 and most games on the Source engine smoothly enough, it's just that the Radeon 9800 is too old to support shaders, and, at least from the screenshots, those seem to be featured pretty heavily in Dear Esther. Not sure if that's the case with Gone Home.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

TheMammoth posted:

I can run Half-Life 2 and most games on the Source engine smoothly enough, it's just that the Radeon 9800 is too old to support shaders, and, at least from the screenshots, those seem to be featured pretty heavily in Dear Esther. Not sure if that's the case with Gone Home.

I think I had a 9800 when I started college almost a decade ago. Geez man you might want to think about upgrading. I'm sure you can get a newer graphics card from, say, 2006 off of ebay for about as much as Gone Home is going to cost retail.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Amazing new update video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExKXPBHkwUY

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Finally a game that sates my desire for realistic fridge raiding 10/10 first day buy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
In the latest instance of this game being 90s as gently caress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSbYsUalMQ&hd=1

The game will feature music from Heavens to Betsy and Bratmobile.

SomniumObmutum
Jul 23, 2007

The more smug foxes the better I always say.
My excitement for this is rising and rising. Steve is a smart guy who I fully trust to make an interesting game, and adding in real life music like that is something I hadn't anticipated and makes me even more secure in my thoughts that this thing is going to come together wonderfully.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Polygon preview with a minor spoiler.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
GDC roundup news post. Worth a peek.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
drat this looks fun. I really want to play.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Interview with Steve Gaynor, one of the main developers.

SomniumObmutum
Jul 23, 2007

The more smug foxes the better I always say.
I really appreciate the stream of updates and stuff. The other place I kind of hang out's thread for this game turned into a morass of pissing and moaning about loving everything under the sun regarding its aesthetics, gameplay, and setting to the point where I had to give up on it out of sheer frustration. I think the thing that did me in was when someone complained about the developer's personal feelings and memories of growing up in the time period Gone Home takes place in being part of the foundation for the game.

SomniumObmutum fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 8, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'd actually be kind of interested in seeing that. Everywhere on the Internet that I hang out, people seem to not want to talk about this much other than saying "I'm super excited" which makes sense I guess but it would be nice to see other people saying things. Even if they're horrifically stupid things.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

This game is like immersive nostalgia art game crack. I can't imagine that anyone interested in the concept would hate it.

Every choice they've made, from the 90s setting to the interactive fridges, makes me feel they know exactly what I want. And I'm not that easy to please.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Right now they're showing the game off at a riot grrl concert thing, and this happened:

quote:

Haha just caused a group of teen grrrls to shout "0451!!!" in unison. Mission accomplished.
Some pictures:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I was talking to someone about Bioshock Infinite, how I felt that I just wish it wasn't a shooter. When they asked me what type of genre or what it would be instead I instantly thought of this game. I really want this to come out and just look and explore through EVERYTHING.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Environment comparison blog post with some neat screenshots.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Preview at The Guardian.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can I buy this yet please

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Will write something about it, but this is my short, spoiler-free reaction to the Gone Home demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHyMU7fWVwk

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Important video update from developer Steve Gaynor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m89mZJ2peIM

Also if a mod is reading this, could you change the thread title to Gone Home: My So Called Life + System Shock? That's my favorite summary of the game that I've heard so far.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What a nightmarish landscape of pure hell and malevolence.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
"As I played through the demo for Gone Home, an upcoming game by The Fullbright Company, I experienced something extraordinary. The game wasn't just allowing me to be someone else; it was illuminating parts of myself."

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Check out this video preview of the game! Because I sure as hell won't. I'm already sold and I don't want to go in spoiled.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Rock Paper Shotgun interview.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

This game has more previews and release hype than a AAA! Come out already!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Steve Gaynor, one of the developers, just got a tattoo:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh loving sold.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Misread title as "Goon Home", still excited.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I have been slacking on posting updates. My apologies. Stuff since last time:

Sounds of a House, a really great update about recording all the little sounds that will be in the game. The person who helps them record the foley is named "Foley," hilariously, and they record it in an incredibly Portland store. Be sure to also observe the sound avocado.

Here is a behind the scenes featurette about recording the voiceover. Embedded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKAy542slwU

Why we are not showing Gone Home at PAX, an article with a fairly self-explanatory title.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Two new images released:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It looks like Fulbright Company put up a new "Riot Grrl" video preview on the frontpage some time ago. Watching the video made me a little worried that the "mystery" of the sister's disappearance will be that she ran away from her parents to be with the girl who made the mixtape or something trite like that. I'm looking forward to this game but I hope the investigation behind the family is a little more complex than how they're making it out to be in that clip. Hopefully I'm just overreacting and there will be many more surprises.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What's with the 0451 thing? From Googling I guess it's a code in Deus Ex?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's a Looking Glass Studios thing. I believe it was the code to unlock the front door to the studio. Ken Levine cut his teeth at looking glass, which is why you see the code again in bioshock.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's a Looking Glass Studios thing. I believe it was the code to unlock the front door to the studio. Ken Levine cut his teeth at looking glass, which is why you see the code again in bioshock.

It shows up in a ton of stuff. It's the first code you use in Looking Glass stuff, Deus Ex and Human Revolution, Dishonored, that sort of thing. It's basically just an "in the know" thing, almost like a gaming secret handshake; if somebody knows about it, you can assume they've played some pretty good video games.

• Locked thread