Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

This rules! Never seen a triple bust before. What happens if everyone is in the red at the end of Double Jeopardy? Do they just throw the episode out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

packetmantis posted:

Lol, Trebek assuming the professions were wrong.

Come on, Alex!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My cable crapped out just before the final, so I didn't get to see the reaction. Greg had a big lead, so what was he thinking? Alex called him chicken in the first episode. Did he take it to heart?

Other things I noticed:
- The podium lights didn't always work when a contestant rang in.
- Two players rang in at the same time and Alex wasn't really sure what to do.
- The answers are more specific here than in the first game.

Clues are so much easier. The Oregon Trail clue was the last one in the category and actually had Oregon in the answer. They missed one about the Olympics that had Mount Olympus in the answer. They're not exactly acing these easy clues. I'm looking at J! Archive and it looks like the difficulty was ramped up for the second season.

I hope they upload more vault stuff to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uIk75MBT-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbEy3PHlTdg

Bonus: Someone's uploaded this 1974 Art Fleming episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIIWX0m3I-w

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Tokelau All Star posted:

This rules! Never seen a triple bust before. What happens if everyone is in the red at the end of Double Jeopardy? Do they just throw the episode out?

fed to the sarlacc

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The best part was Alex forgetting to give the right answer and some random in the audience screaming "WHAT'S THE RIGHT ANSWER??" to get him to say it.

Boy did that ever have an amateur hour feel to it...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought it might've been a producer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
All I know is that I was actually getting kinda aggravated that they were allowing people to hit the buzzer before Alex had even finished asking the question.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Tokelau All Star posted:

In theory there would be no winner. This happened once with Art Fleming and has never happened with Trebek.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the closest was that one episode a couple years back where two of the contestants finished in the red and the champion had final jeopardy all to herself lol

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Who here competes in LL? I just finished my first rookie season.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i do, i just got demoted back down to D (which is where i belong for how)

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Orzo posted:

Who here competes in LL? I just finished my first rookie season.

I switch between A and B Taiga, depending on the season.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

mennoknight posted:

I switch between A and B Taiga, depending on the season.
Impressive. I think it will take me a year or two to get to A. I finished first in my rookie division, which will put me in B (Maelstrom) but I think getting to A is going to be very difficult.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

zakharov posted:

Trebek profiled in the NYT as his book is about to come out. This link is unlocked!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/...QSpBtTE56pgvJsx

Of note:

quote:

After some encouraging news from doctors last year, Trebek’s prognosis has worsened. If his current course of cancer treatment fails, he plans to stop treatment, he said.

:smith:

Posted on Jeopardy's social media pages a few minutes ago:

:unsmith:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Dude's now 80. He can start chemo, stop chemo, hell he can rebuild the late eighties set by hand for all I care; he's playing with house money at this point.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I'm loving this so far. The rhythm of the game is feeling a little more familiar.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I just learned that Johnny Gilbert is 96. That man don’t quit.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Seems like they really liked "cell" and "(the apostle) Thomas" as questions back then.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I just finished my rookie season and am going into C.

According to the one-day mine was one of the most competitive rookie groups out there so hopefully there's some B in my future.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Forrest Bounce was revolutionary, but isn't wild now. Forrest would jump between categories, but he was doing so in order. He wasn't starting in the middle of the category, but rather where it had been left off.

This did feel like Jeopardy, though. Much different than those first two games.

Spangenberg is on tomorrow. I want to think that I remember his original run.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

This is wild, everyone looks wet and the audience reacting to each response is so weird.

Yeah, I bet the studio was the size of my living room with how loud everyone is

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was superior especially the clue populating sounds.

I had forgotten how much I missed that!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hed posted:

I had forgotten how much I missed that!

I also liked the opening music better from that era. It sounded more authoritative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6rHqrLA7aw

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The intro also really builds up for the anticipation for the theme to really start.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wish they still walked out to that build-up music too. It's just such a Look.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Glad to see the tradition of avoiding sports alive back in 1988. Also, I love Trebek so much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's sadly always been the case. I remember it driving my dad nuts even when I was a kid (and it driving me nuts as I got older).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I can safely say that 1994 is the most perfect form of jeopardy for me, all other sets will be just wrong in some way.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The white lettering from the clues was so faded I spent half the game thinking my screen had frozen with the clues half loaded lol

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

quote:

Mon., July 27 Carol Burnett, Regis Philbin, Donna Mills

Lol welp

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Think they'll have Alex re-record the intro?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I mean, he's probably at home and can knock something out; getting it to the affiliates could take time. I'd bet an in memory card at the end.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Can someone please paste a new invite to the discord?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Orzo posted:

Can someone please paste a new invite to the discord?

This one won't expire, I hope:
https://discord.gg/Xh4fHC2

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I mean, he's probably at home and can knock something out; getting it to the affiliates could take time. I'd bet an in memory card at the end.

a memory card popped up at the beginning

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Vertical Lime posted:

Nothing on mine (before or after). It must have been added by your local station.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Alex Trebek posted:

The button works, you don't.

:iceburn:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zero One posted:

Nothing on mine (before or after). It must have been added by your local station.

Same, there was nothing on the 4:30 p.m. broadcast on WMSN here in Madison.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Holy hell, we lost it laughing. The episode could have been a SNL skit. So good.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Vertical Lime posted:

Zero One posted:

Timby posted:

Same, there was nothing on the 4:30 p.m. broadcast on WMSN here in Madison.

Got one here in NYC, but that was probably just ABC being on the ball.

That was an actually good Celebrity Jeopardy episode too, though leaving so many clues covered in Double Jeopardy (including the second Daily Double) pained me. Such good byplay, even if that ate up time for more clues and such. Good reminder of how well Regis could play to a partner with rapport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Did Regis ever do stand-up comedy? He had the delivery and timing of someone who could have made a decent living at it. This episode made me realize how cool he was (it had been a while since I had actually seen Regis in anything).