Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh hell yea. they called me today, a week after my audition, and asked me to be on

gently caress yes

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Congratulations!

The thing I'm concerned about is who picks up phone calls from unknown numbers? I mean you obv, but not me. So uhhh anyone know if they leave voicemail? Or email?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i wasn't at my phone when they called on wednesday. i switched on my phone about 30min after they did, saw the missed call and vm from culver city, and that gave me some hope. i listened, and lo and behold they said they wanted to talk to me--nothing about making it or whatever. i called immediately, left a message for them saying 'hey, returning your call, can talk whenever', and they called back around 1p yesterday

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 14, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
niceee. I definitely always answer voicemail, just don't pick up randos. I was on another game show, and when they called I picked up on the first ring, but that was a more innocent time when you got like 1 spam call per week and not 5 per day

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Anne Whateley posted:

Congratulations!

The thing I'm concerned about is who picks up phone calls from unknown numbers? I mean you obv, but not me. So uhhh anyone know if they leave voicemail? Or email?

from my audition they said they will basically pull a liam neeson from taken on you if you get selected from the pool

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

from my audition they said they will basically pull a liam neeson from taken on you if you get selected from the pool

Yeah, when I didn't pick up my phone call (I actually was away from my phone) they emailed me basically straight away telling me to call them back.

Congratulations, Abel! You're probably going to be on either a week or two after me, then, assuming you're doing either the October 9/10 shooting, or the week after, since we were all told that after our shoot October 9th is the next filming date.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They'll destroy the city you live in? :ohdear:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
How often do they do the jeopardy application process?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Poque posted:

How often do they do the jeopardy application process?

They run the test once a year or so. Sign up for their newsletter to get notified.

I got 39 last time around but no audition invite 😢

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
They do an online test about once a year, but for the last few years it's had a ton of technical issues, so redoing it has messed with the schedule. I think it used to be in the winter, but this year's was March.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Abel Wingnut posted:

oh hell yea. they called me today, a week after my audition, and asked me to be on

gently caress yes

Congrats, and good luck! Don't forget to have fun out there!

Anne Whateley posted:

They do an online test about once a year, but for the last few years it's had a ton of technical issues, so redoing it has messed with the schedule. I think it used to be in the winter, but this year's was March.

Yeah, they used to do the test in January of every year, but lately it's been a lot more spread out. There've been a lot of technical difficulties and all that.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Also, the audition cycle is a bit off from the testing cycle. I auditioned in March in DC, right before this year's online test, based on the results of last year's online test.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My sincere thanks to Alex Trebek for going from beard to goatee and alleviating my profound sexual confusion

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Was there a show on Monday?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yep.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

drat. I didn't realize until it was too late. gently caress my local station.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Go check out the reddit game thread for it. Look at the comments.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Zesty posted:

Go check out the reddit game thread for it. Look at the comments.

Sweet, thanks friend

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Soothing Vapors posted:

My sincere thanks to Alex Trebek for going from beard to goatee and alleviating my profound sexual confusion

https://entertainment.theonion.com/millions-of-retirees-absolutely-sopping-wet-after-seein-1828977465

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

the Onion just reporting true facts now

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Current champ reminds me of Cyril from Archer.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

Current champ reminds me of Cyril from Archer.

holy poo poo yes, right down to the total unlikeability

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I automatically hate any contestant who picks the video category

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Something has been bugging me since the start of the new season, why is September 21, 2001 showing up on the opening?

Alex shaved his mustache that episode

Truly the worst thing to happen that month.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Anyone else watch the team draft live?

I think Team Julia will be tough to beat: her, Ben Ingram and Seth Wilson is a pretty solid combination. Though Colby looks pretty good too with Pam and Alan, and can't count out Brad with Dave Madden and Larissa Kelly. Austin got Roger Craig and Leonard Cooper too, so that might go far. For posterity, Ken got Matt Jackson and Monica Thieu; and Buzzy picked Alex Jacob first and then got Jennifer Giles last.

Can't wait until February when these episodes air!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think team Buzzy/Alex/Jennifer is going to be the winner.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Seriously dude's name is Buzzy, how can he not be a buzzer hawk?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ben will seriously stomp all over the competition

speaking of ben:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQf7tEXFeLY

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Spotted Lilly Chin in the audience at the end there, apparently she was one of the alternates in case they needed one for today.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Anyone else watch the team draft live?

I think Team Julia will be tough to beat: her, Ben Ingram and Seth Wilson is a pretty solid combination. Though Colby looks pretty good too with Pam and Alan, and can't count out Brad with Dave Madden and Larissa Kelly. Austin got Roger Craig and Leonard Cooper too, so that might go far. For posterity, Ken got Matt Jackson and Monica Thieu; and Buzzy picked Alex Jacob first and then got Jennifer Giles last.

Can't wait until February when these episodes air!

It's tough to have a rooting interest when I have a favorite on almost every team. I'll be happy if Julia, Colby, Brad, or Austin wins.

Also how is it possible that Pam Mueller was on the show 18 years ago? She never ages.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
"A big gaming story of 2018 is "Fortnite:" this genre of game where the winner is last shooter or last team standing"

the response they wanted was "battle royale" but it seems weird to call that a genre

I wonder if the judges would have conferred and accepted "shooter" if someone had said that

snack eater fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 28, 2018

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

snack eater posted:

"A big gaming story of 2018 is "Fortnite:" this genre of game where the winner is last shooter or last team standing"

the response they wanted was "battle royale" but it seems weird to call that a genre

I wonder if the judges would have conferred and accepted "shooter" if someone had said that

For what it's worth, I've heard Fortnite and PUBG both referred to as "battle royale" games before.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

"Shooter" doesn't imply the last person standing wins. Battle Royale is the accepted name for that genre now.

It's kind of a weird question because Fortnite is more than just that one mode, but the second part of the question is enough to remove the ambiguity.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Videogames are bigger than movies now. If you're going on a trivia show, browse a few wiki articles you feckless turbonerds.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Videogames are bigger than movies now. If you're going on a trivia show, browse a few wiki articles you feckless turbonerds.

Apparently German speaking guy posted a screenshot of his Steam Library with like 80 hours of Skyrim played in our Jeopardy FB group, so him blanking on the Elder Scrolls clue was all on him.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I've put more hours into skyrim than I'd like to admit and even I blanked on that one.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
THE MOOCH

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Poque posted:

THE MOOCH

and they even accepted it!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Categories acted out by soap opera stars are the best Jeopardy categories and no one will ever change my mind on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

and they even accepted it!

It was the correct answer