Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

I AM GRANDO posted:

If Arthur is saying that we shouldn’t act like vaccines will make covid go away all by themselves because there are vulnerable people who will die if they get it, I agree with that part, but I don’t know if that’s what he’s saying.

I think (think) the point he wants to make is that people are using vaccines as an excuse to not take proper precautions, like masking and lockdowns, even as the virus is surging worse than it ever has. But then he goes *WAAAAAAY* off the rails.

Like... I don't think he's Anti-Vax. But he's just very, very bad at making his point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It shouldn't be this hard but here's a simple and vastly incomplete guide

Get vaccinated aganist Covid 19 - Boosted if eligible

Follow CDC or Public Health Agency (or which country you're in) guidelines as well as any from local State/Province/subdivision

Be considerate of surroundings and the people in them. They may be immune compromised, elderly, under 5, etc.

Your religion won't protect you. Plenty of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and other people of faith have contracted and died from this.

Do not take equine medication. You are not a horse. Fear is a factor here.

Don't listen to social media on this. Trust me.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Island Nation posted:

Be considerate of surroundings and the people in them.

This step is 99% of why this is impossible in this country. Toxic individuality is going to kill us all, but hey at least we're FREE to die in the stupidest, most preventable way possible.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I barely even remember Chu being on Jeopardy now. He's been overshadowed by Amy, James, and other more recent champions that don't seem like contrarian asswipes.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

He gets credit for popularizing the Forrest Bounce, but that same tactic was later executed far more effectively by James and Matt.

In contrast, Amy seems to play much more conventionally. Part of me hopes she loses sooner rather than later so she and Matt can throw down in the ToC :getin:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I think (think) the point he wants to make is that people are using vaccines as an excuse to not take proper precautions, like masking and lockdowns, even as the virus is surging worse than it ever has. But then he goes *WAAAAAAY* off the rails.

Like... I don't think he's Anti-Vax. But he's just very, very bad at making his point.

Yeah, that’s what I got out of it too. I just remember Chu going way off the rails too many times (his brain kinda broke after he got attacked so much wrt GamerGate) to give him the benefit of the doubt nowadays, and know I’m not alone in that people will read the most uncharitable interpretations of his Tweets and the like.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's funny if you follow right wing psycho circles you know exactly where he gets his bullshit. They were saying that 75 percent of the vaccinated who died had four comorbidities but it got passed around in reactionary circles as 75 percent of all COVID deaths. It's like the bullshit they were saying early on during the pandemic where only 6 percent of COVID deaths really count because everyone has had comorbidities.

I was also seeing some pushback from leftist places saying that the way CDC Director Walensky phrased the statistic on an interview she did, making it seem like the 4 comorbidity statistic was throwing the obese (among other groups with the enumerated comorbidities) and immunocompromised (like I guess Arthur was doing?) under the bus.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I barely even remember Chu being on Jeopardy now. He's been overshadowed by Amy, James, and other more recent champions that don't seem like contrarian asswipes.

I remember him betting $5 on any sports related DDs and his wrinkled rear end shirts

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I remember him betting $5 on any sports related DDs and his wrinkled rear end shirts

Say what you will about Arthur Chu but this was funny as hell though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LwagLLbEMs

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Say what I will about Arthur Chu? OK - he sucks out loud and I hope he dies alone

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wrinkled rear end shirts

How is Arthur Chu the guy you remember for this and not Alex Jacobs?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Prob because I liked Alex honestly

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

annnnnnnd it's over.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
https://twitter.com/Jeopardamy/status/1486391004190023681

If you hate Amy you are a monster with no soul.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

annnnnnnd it's over.

kinda crazy it was on a slam-dunk geography question

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

i say swears online posted:

Amy has been struggling with Final for a while and has only survived based on getting the runway over and over. I’m not surprised she lost on the one of the first times in a long time she didn’t get a runaway.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Joining in on the posting of fake spoilers

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Jeopardy comes on at 7:30 eastern here and I already had a bad feeling in literally the first 2 minutes of the show, came to check and confirmed my suspicions. I'm really surprised I was somehow correct, I haven't felt like she was going to lose until today

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This many posts, I thought something happened, and not just another stupid Arthur post.

I know…right?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Normally, I’m good with geography questions, but this one would not pop into my head. Kept swirling around Africa and apparently skipped right over Bangladesh to think about Indonesia and never making the jump back.

Surprised spoilers didn’t hit the internet more quickly like they usually do.
Quite some timing, as WNYC, the local NPR affiliate, just had their afternoon call in arts and culture show rebroadcast their interview with Claire McNear from right after Trebek passed (and before she broke the Mike Richards story); which I had previously called into, plus a new interview with an NYT writer who was covering Amy’s streak.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

:drat:

I was mentally scanning Africa and hadn't even come close to that area of the world

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Got Final myself though I personally should've gotten it earlier than I did (don't ask).

Who's taking sides on the title fight TOC? Also, wasn't Ken the host through the entire run?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
NY Times just sent a push alert about the results and pissed everyone off lmao

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Maybe the new guy can afford better looking glasses now.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

it came to me immediately and there wasn't a single other thought. weird

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

big trivia FAIL posted:

same. geography may be my strongest area but still, top ten most populous should really narrow it down. there's only one in africa!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

At least they waited for the episode to air in our own market lol. They could’ve pushed an alert after the first major market aired it in syndication.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It was a question on Masterminds like two years ago that stuck in my head for some reason.

Mr Hookshot, who also watched that episode with me, had no idea.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

big trivia FAIL posted:

yea this feels like it was very much a 'either it came to you instantly or you completely forgot about it' thing because I got it after just a second of thought and my friend who also watches said she had zero clue.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I had it before Ken finished reading the answer but I also bought some "made in Bangladesh" clothing this week so maybe I was primed or something.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

There’s literally a Bangladeshi guy sitting in the cubicle across from mine in the office who has an annoying rear end post nasal drip, so there’s no reason why I should’ve forgotten about it (except the fact that he wasn’t in the office today).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Nooooooo

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Local ads spoiled it for me.

They did the usual Amy hype on Monday with a "who will beat her!?" and then showed 6 people and I was like "I guess she loses on Wednesday?"

Turns out advertisers aren't clever, they're really really stupid!

EDIT: I can't hate the local station, they're staff owned and have resisted takeover by the big 3 multiple times.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

same. geography may be my strongest area but still, top ten most populous should really narrow it down. there's only one in africa!

I just started thinking of countries that ended in H and got it immediately. Had no idea it was one of the most populous countries in the world.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i was on "who wants to be a millionaire" and they asked me a question about what letter ended the most country names: E, N, D, or O?

i got that and i didn't get FJ lol--it's one of those that almost everyone would get given 15 minutes but if your brain goes down the wrong path you can just run out of time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh wow. if none of the 'stans come to mind immediately, that one is very difficult. good split between e, n and o in the americas and africa

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

grittyreboot posted:

Maybe the new guy can afford better looking glasses now.

oh god yes, I was disappointed he was the queen slayer due to those glasses alone.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

zakharov posted:

My wife read a Yahoo headline, at 645PM ET, 15 minutes before the show aired, and spoilered it. She didn't tell me though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

oh god yes, I was disappointed he was the queen slayer due to those glasses alone.

lol same

edit: haha my dad just texted me "How did she miss final jeopardy? I thought it was an easy question."

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 27, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol same

edit: haha my dad just texted me "How did she miss final jeopardy? I thought it was an easy question."

my parents are convinced she was tired of winning and wanted to go home. so begins again the dance of "they must have thrown the game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Do these folks think they tape in real time and stay chained to the lectern in LA and never see their families or something lol—Amy taped two days a week for a month