Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Jeopardy is my all time favorite game show. If someone can find the youtube of "canadian teen awkwardly tells story" about going to the bear park but not seeing a bear I will love you forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
I am sure this story is apocryphal enough that several people tell it but the guy who just won the teacher's tournament told an anecdote about being invited to some fundraiserand not going for a guy with a weird name in 2000 that wound up being Barack Obama.

However earlier in the week on GSN's Jeopardy replays a white guy told the same story in 2009. Did this guy jack his anecdote?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

escape artist posted:

I like it a lot. I've been planning to try and go on there for years, but I can't seem to force myself to learn about opera, baseball and the other terrible categories that inevitably will pop up.

I guess I should take the test next time I see it, though. Trebek is supposedly only going to be on for another ~2 years. I want to meet the smarmy old man in person.

I had a friend go on there before. She said Trebek was a huge dick and a class of elementary or middle school kids were there for a field trip. Trebek went off on one of the crew members which included a barrage of "f-bombs", as she put it. A crew member arrived to apologize to the kids "Mr. Trebek is having a bad day."

I forget where I read this article but there's an economic analysis research of Jeopardy that says you don't have to have perspicacity to win. You can only know a few things about a subject and as long as you don't guess too often you will probably make enough money to do well.

Example: If they have an art category you may not know the answer but answers of Picasso, Van Gogh etc are more likely than not to be correct.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I was so pissed nobody got Final Jeopardy right last night. What's even worse is it's not like Minnesota has a ton of hall of fame rock stars but they all picked the wrong one.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

I haven't been able to watch in a few weeks, but I recently saw a promo for a talk show interview with a Jeopardy contestant who was supposedly treated unfairly or lost due to a technicality or something. Does anybody know the deal with that story, or where I could find more information? I think I saw the promo around December 18 or so.

This was Wheel of Fortune where the puzzle answer was Seven Swans a Swimming but the woman, being from the south, said swimmin' and was not awarded $3800. She went on to lose the game by $3200.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

HookShot posted:

So who else is in tonight's crew?

I am but does it start at 8 eastern or 8 pacific?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

Nailed it. Was uncertain about 6 of my answers, but even if I duffed them all it'll still be a qualifying score; time to play the waiting game to see if random chance fails me once more.

Same the only ones I didn't get I would not have gotten with unlimited time. This was easily the most difficult of the tests among the three.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

cwinkle posted:

I answered Seth Green. Who was the English explorer in Albany? I put Hudson.

I put Hudson.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

VivaNova posted:

It was twelfth night, i think.

It was. I missed it said Shakespeare and panicked.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Either they're dumbing down Final Jeopardy or I'm getting a lot smarter

I got all three landlocked countries so maybe you're onto something.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

No Manners No posted:

Seeing this segment on The Soup got me to actually start paying attention to the anecdotes again. I've been catching up on the show in little mini-marathons and noticed that January is the month of contestants telling hamburger-related stories. There's been at least 4. What's up with choosing to tell the world that you ate a burger?

December was the month of "I was invited to a fundraiser for some guy named Barack Obama but didn't think he would be anybody" anecdotes.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Little Mac posted:

loving Tori Amos is a wild card! UGH

Ozma please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

All three of them were really intense with their buzzers. I guess if quiz bowl is all you have going for you :/

We had the two separated bars for quiz bowl. Our preferred method of ringing in was for two people to touch alternate bars and then one to slap the back of the other person's head to complete the electrical circuit.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

in_cahoots posted:

So what happens if there's a two-way tie in a tournament?

A two way tie in the quarterfinal round has a tie breaker to determine the winner which I have only seen once.

quote:

How does betting work in Jeopardy? Do you place your bet before seeing the question?
I think you wager before just like on daily doubles otherwise you would see a lot more 0 wagers when people get stumped.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I swear that little indian kid has been on like 8 years in a row.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Barrett is one of those guys who does everything in his radio voice.

e:

escape artist posted:

If Nilai had wagered enough and gotten the correct answer, he could have still beaten Leonard, right?

Pretty ballsy of Leonard to write that in a game if it wasn't a lock.

After day one the scores were:

Nilai Barrett Leonard
$19,000 $17,600 $3,000

Scores at the end of the Double Jeopardy! Round:
Nilai Barrett Leonard
$14,400 $9,000 $37,000

Potentially Nilai could have had 19,000 + 28,800 = 47,800.

Leonard should have bet at least 7800 but didn't so that was really ballsy.

Rousimar Pauladeen fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 13, 2013

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

escape artist posted:

I don't know. One time the FJ was Beatles songs and it was

The title of this Beatles song is a Yoruba phrase that means "life goes on"

Which was pretty cool, because you have to be a Beatles fan to know that, I think. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da

Or grew up in the 80's and watched The Corky Thatcher show.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Reports are coming out that have Matt Lauer as the lead candidate to replace Alex Trebek when he decides to retire. Dear god no.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Write a humor program for Watson and let him do it.

*Colby talks back to Watson*

:derp: "KILL ALL HUMANS"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I was doing this too, my thought process was literally "Nobel Prize, no wait, that's way too loving easy......But there are no other common knowledge prizes for physics, right?"

It said he was the last to accomplish this alone in 1992 so I was thinking it might have been cold fusion at first. After remembering those physicists were from Utah and could not repeat that task I went to Nobel Prize.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

haveblue posted:

Job never complained to god, that was the entire point of his story...

Job also has his own book in the bible which was the more stunning part of that answer.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Does anyone remember mondays Final Jeopardy? Something about Sigourney Weaver winning something for Alien in the mid 80s when Alien was out in 79.

Her nomination in 1987 was the first Best Actress nomination for a science fiction film.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

The correct answer was Alien though which is why it threw me off.

No the question was not about the film it was about the actress. She was nominated for Aliens not Alien.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Oh right my mistake. Man you guys are better than J-archive! Thanks.

They oddly don't have Monday's archived so I had to use fikklefame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

It could be the producers just picking the worst story for some unknown reason.

This is where I would post a link to the bear park girl but I can't find it on the internet and it breaks my heart.

This is not that story but it is the girl being an awkward teen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFU1gYEsoW4