Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Ughhh, the Teen Tournament starts one week from now. Guess I'm not watching for two weeks.
At least there's two weeks of Tournament of Champions after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

escape artist posted:

And I am 26 and not nearly as well-read as I should be... :lol:

Eh, I feel like literature and poetry are really over-represented in Jeopardy. It's one of the things that's made me hesitant about trying to get on, I always blank on those categories. On the other hand, I blitz science and math categories and wish they were on more often.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

escape artist posted:

But don't you guys think Alex's comment was funny/ignorant/maybe tongue-in-cheek/if not straight up misogyny.

I think it could be taken that way. Another quote that raised an eyebrow was a few months ago, when he mentioned that a contestant had "the 2nd highest money total for a female player" or something along those lines.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Bahahhahahaha, yes, Joshua, let me get out my propeller yarmulke. That's totally a thing.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Ugh, the categories were crap today. Houses in London? Poetry? Clowns? Musical Theater Final Jeopardy? Yeah, I'm out.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

That anecdote about the woman who has written her own 1000+ character soap opera for the past 27 years scared the living poo poo out of me. Where do they find these people?

Not only that, it was apparently all people she knew or had met in real life. It'd creep me out too if someone I knew was doing that. I almost wanted her to beat Joshua and his greasy rear end mop hair so I could hear more about it.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Seriously, kind of a nutbag.

I really hope Joshua loses. What a cheesedick. "It's only appropriate to start with 'The Race is On,' Alex".
Give me a break, and wash your hair, son.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Oh god damnit Allison it was such an easy question.

Now we all get to come back to King Brownnose after skipping the Teen Tournament.
Ugh his face is fat and his hair looks like oiled whole wheat noodles.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
God drat, that rules, Leonard rules. I watched his QF episode and hoped he'd win the whole thing. Glad to see that worked out.

That afro is heroic.

Time for the Tournament of Champions, gently caress yes!

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
That book character category can eat a dick. I only knew Lorna Doone from the cookie brand.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
^^^ Yeah, she rules, I'm definitely rooting for her.

Is it just me? "Congratulations, you won more games than any woman before you!" seems kinda sexist, unless I'm reading into it too much.

funktopus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 14, 2013

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
I'm loving how much more difficult these are. They actually make you think before you blurt something out.

Also, Alex seems super chatty this episode.

The super conservative wagers on this FJ were pretty funny. And it was really, really easy.

funktopus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 14, 2013

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Ahahaha, "The Guggenheim"? Seriously? The guy must be smart, I mean he's in the ToC, but man that was a bad guess.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
He's still absolutely kicking rear end, and he got sassy with Alex. This guy really is the best.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Accept Colby into your heart and you'll find peace.

Also, did he do the Degeneration X gesture when he won? Or was I seeing (awesome) things?

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
COOOOOOOLBYYYYYYY.

Dude rules. That is all.

Also, I loving love getting a tough FJ like this one. Really gratifying.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Yessss, Josh can finally wash his noodle hair.

And also the new champion seems pretty cool. Double plus good.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Oh lord, poor Tuyla seems to have giant boudins blancs for arms.

I'm more impressed at her confidence, going sleeveless like that. Wow.

Dean Venture in the middle there does medieval martial arts. It is a low bar, but it's sort of an interesting story.

funktopus fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 1, 2013

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
All he's missing is a speed suit.

Still, more interesting a story that "I went to the Grand Canyon once" or "This,mildly funny thing happened once". However spergy it is.

E: jesus, that FJ, was that a question they forgot to use in the Teen Tournament? Anybody could have gotten that. At least Sara won, that's cool.

funktopus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 1, 2013

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
He had a LOT of wrong answers, too. He could have made this a lock if he hadn't shot himself in the foot, since he was usually faster on the buzzer.

And Sara wins by $2. She's really cleaning up, 75k in three days is excellent. Might have to be back for next year's ToC at this rate (noodle hair's gonna be there too).

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Quasipox posted:

So no one's going to comment on the bedwetting story? I mean, your first time on Jeopardy and your most interesting story is you pissed the bed when you were a kid?

Holy poo poo, that's what I skipped? I walked in the door right as Sara was doing her story about shoveling poop or something.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
730 crew represent.

Also Erin is an awkward, goony lady.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Not 10 minutes later and i forgot what the FJ answer was. Totally forgettable.

At least Erin didn't win.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Man, I ain't even gonna guess.

This girl in the middle is silent so far, except for one great answer. Yes, of course, I too associate 1987 Russia with Kruschev.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Oh man, these people are so bad tonight.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Glenn_Beckett posted:

How the gently caress do three Jeopardy! contestants not know Cosette is Jean Valjean's adopted daughter? I am actually going to kill them.

e: Thank God none of them missed Final Jeopardy! because I was going to explode.

I'm just glad the douchey EPA inspector from Ghostbusters didn't win. I hate him so much for some reason I don't know.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't hate Rebecca personally, but I am irked to no end by how poorly her bra fits. I hope she uses some of her winnings on new bras.

I've been thinking this exact same thing. She seems like a nice enough person, and she bugs me far less than some of the previous contestants, but good god, lady, you're on TV.
Luckily, with her (at least) 100k, she can afford some nice clothes, among other things.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Super awkward phrasing, obscure original source, non-obvious back linkages from the "contemporary" (60's) derivative works. Really bad.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought so. It really feels like they have a new clue writer and they haven't quite trained them well, or something. There have been some really bad categories lately.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Does anyone else have days when they watch this show and it feels like you click with the clue writers and the answers are intuitive, and then others (like tonight) where it felt like doing a crossword puzzle written by an alien that doesn't like you?

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
The gap between election and inauguration makes it easy to forget that. Like if the election happened in January and inauguration was in April or something, I don't think people would gently caress it up nearly as much.
Still, if you're on Jeopardy, it's a thing you should keep in mind.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
I did a double-take when I heard Alex read the clue about Alma Moreno, the "sex goddess of cinema". I thought Jeopardy kind of avoided that kind of stuff, it was pretty funny to hear my dad start to say the answer and then stop himself.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

What was the clue wording?

"Once the 'sex goddess' of this country's movies, Alma Moreno was elected to its Parañaque City council in 2007"

Not super racy, but it's weird to hear Alex say the phrase "sex goddess".

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
"U.S. Cities
In 2015 it returned to the list of the 50 most populous U.S. cities, 10 years after dropping off"

I love Final Jeopardy questions like that. If you were alive and able to understand important events in 2005, you could reason that one out. Jeopardy needs more clues like that, and fewer like "did you pay attention in Art History?" or Shakespeare categories every other day.

funktopus fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 20, 2017

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the first guy who ran the mile under 4 minutes was a clue tonight and it's a common clue on Jeopardy! and in trivia in general and I never remember it

yeah, it felt like a lot of clues were that way, it was a much harder episode than usual

that final was a total stumper, too

vvvv yeah, the wording in that clue felt way too vague to express that they were looking for (what I guess is) a modern nation that is descended from a single feudal state (like a principality, I think), but I could only deduce that that's what they were looking for after the fact

funktopus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 29, 2017

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
So it looks like Austin got a haircut, get his beard trimmed, and either made him wear/provided a wardrobe more in line with what people expect from a Jeopardy contestant.
Also shot him up with Valium.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Holy poo poo what a weird outcome. You would think that Manny would have known right away, given his military experience (Air Force, right?). What ridiculous guesses.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
drat, that entire category about chairs was awful.

Also they left like 10 clues on the board.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Man, the Richie Tenenbaum cosplayer got ripped off on Final Jeopardy.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Man, nothing like the Tournament of Champions to make me feel like a dumbass. I don't even have a guess for like, 2/3 of these questions.

vvvv I kind of got the impression she was in pain or panicking, or maybe both.

funktopus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
It seemed like he was having a panic attack or something.