Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Huge slam on Mormons outta nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Timby posted:

Why the gently caress was the Ansel Adams question today (the first Daily Double in Double Jeopardy) labeled a Video Daily Double? It was a still photograph.

Bill Whitaker did extremely well, by the way.

Not only that, but it was extremely easy. If the clue is a black and white photograph, it’s always going to be “who is Ansel Adams?”

mlnhd fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 4, 2021

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Lmao that Margaret thatcher clue

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

My Man Jason lost, but looks like he’ll be a wildcard

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Very cool to see a clue about All Your Base

I’m rooting for Jason, who after today has a lock on a semis wildcard spot, and so does Nibir.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

i have a crush on julia

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

The clues about Santa Fe and Quito were very obviously re-recorded. I know they do that sometimes, but these sounded like it was recorded in a bathroom.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Thanks to the useless game of golf, I have to wait until 1am Sunday/Monday to see tonight's and tomorrow's show.

gently caress you, golf.

My station is airing it at the same timeslot on "13.2 meTV", instead of the normal "13.1 WTHR". So check the subchannels for your affiliate

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Who was the person presenting the playstation clues? Are we supposed to know him

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I found out he is the son of the guy who did the voice of Granddad on The Boondocks cartoon

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It seems weird to target professors directly like that. Are they going to have a Professors Tournament? If so, isn't there a separate channel they use for tournaments that isn't just the normal test?

Maybe they want a better mix of players instead of lawyers, librarians, gamblers, and moms. So maybe they are going to have an ad targeting a different demographic on today's show?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I feel like there have been plenty of clues about Trump, his family, his career and his presidency before, during, and after his term, right??

Also I don’t like her dress today

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I've been watching Jeopardy on DVR for 15 years, and it's wonderful to be able to fast forward through all the bull poo poo.

The interviews made me cringe, so I skipped them. I also used to skip parts that I knew would be humiliating for the contestants, because they would force me to experience sympathetic embarrassment for them. I now have a pretty well-honed sense of when the judges are going to reverse an on-stage decision because of this.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It's still not very clear to me why or when cascading score changes are made. Like this guy answered wrong, but it was later ruled to be correct, so he gets $4000, but you answered after him, and that never would have happened if he had responded correctly, so we are taking $2000 from you.

situations like that always piss me off

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Spokes posted:

saw the big mural of Pat and Vanna at the studio next door, decided that WOF was more fun and decided to go out for that instead.

it isn't though

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

The kind of person who has the will and ability to pirate Jeopardy episodes is a superfan and probably buys merch and talks about the show all the time. The syndicated nature of the program doesn't jive with the go go hustler influencer attitude of that modern Jeopardy! enthusiast.

They need to be able to watch today's episode as soon as possible, without interruption.
Or, sometimes, they need to be able to ignore Jeopardy for a few days and catch up on the weekend.

They don't have the time or energy to figure out at what time and on what channel the show is airing while staying in a hotel in a strange city. They need to be secure in the knowledge that, even if their local affiliate decides to pre-empt the show for sports or local news, they will never miss a single clue, gaffed judging decision, or idiotic wager.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

According to that page and me, 7:30 is the correct time.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Spokes posted:

this sounds like a story

That’s it. I like jeopardy better than wheel. I never miss jeopardy; I never watch wheel, and I actually think the whole production is very annoying.

Also some of these triple stumpers are amusing. Card game, British sounding jargon, crazy rules that allow more than a dozen cards in your hand? What else is it gonna be except bridge? Maybe “whist”

I’ve never played either card game

mlnhd fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 28, 2021

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

The writers seem inconsistent lately, with some very bad clues and very few good ones.

That said, I loved the FJ clue on Friday even though I got it wrong.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It’s probably hard to read without a VISOR

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Is there a dress code? When I'm on can I just wear band t-shirts and jeans?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Mangosteen! I got the correct response because of these dumb forums

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Like what? I guess he’s the type of person to only read things and not know how people generally pronounce them. I have the same affliction, so I haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

He also does the thing where he signals first, says “what’s…?” and then comes up with the correct response.

Total pro move.

Taken to extreme last week where he said “what’s [10 second pause] dinosaur?” “Be more specific” [10 second pause] “t-Rex”

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

That T-Rex clue seemed especially blatant, but I agree he is not doing it on every clue or even most clues.

The whole time I was screaming at the TV because everyone knows the T-Rex at the Field Museum in Chicago is named Sue. They even named a beer after it.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Dienes posted:

I'm unashamed that I knew that from Dresden Files.
:yeah: thats the best way for me to retain trivia. You learn a fact, and then it’s reinforced by some tangential or recreational activity, and then you know it forever.

I will never forget that the t-Rex is named Sue, because I saw it in person, and because the beer is really good. I always made a special effort to buy some when I travelled to Des Moines or Quad Cities for work.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Weaponized Autism posted:

Wow had never seen this old of a Jeopardy! episode and you can really tell how they tried to keep that 70s "game show" aesthetic and gameplay. I'm glad they shifted away from that into more of a "trivia" show rather than a "game show" like Match Game, Card Sharks, etc.

Yeah. That's why I've watched Jeopardy for 30 years and no other game show. They all have some flashy bullshit.

I think this is part of why the host selection has become so contested. We have to have high standards, because if some Hollywood rear end in a top hat gets their hands on it it will just turn into Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

They think it's unsportsmanlike to answer every question and win every game and be proud of doing that.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

That’s the pride part, I guess. I didn’t follow his exploits after the goat tournament, except for what few tweets other people link to me. In the normal games he seemed pretty restrained. And everyone is an rear end in a top hat on Twitter.

I loved his matches just for how well he mixed the special sauce of Forrest bouncing, DD hunting, huge wagers, and breadth of knowledge. It’s exciting for me to watch someone who is one of the best at what they do demonstrate their skills.

A pretty poor comparison might be Tom Brady and the New England patriots, if you ignore all the cheating stuff.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Everything's still done with Nielsen because it's just been around forever and it's the info everyone has access to for selling ad time.

I don't think this is true. Someone schooled me on this on the jeopardy reddit.

If your smart TV has content recognition, it is reported.
If you use your cable company's streaming app, it is reported.
If you use Sling or Youtube TV, it is reported.

The only ethical way to watch Mike Richards Jeopardy! episodes is to download them from Usenet and then watch them on Linux while disconnected from the internet. which I do

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Matt’s shirt is all wrinkly

Edit: that Final was embarrassingly easy. And everyone spelled it wrong

mlnhd fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 16, 2021

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

That was the plan all along, and that's why he never corrected that trailing 1 in his total winnings.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It’s always annoying to see people give wrong responses to gimmick categories, and most of the time they forget the gimmick. The writers make it way easier by constraining the answer-space, and yet people still blow it.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

No you haven’t. The judges are wrong. That’s a normal pronunciation in my dialect.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I’ve heard of lobster thermidor, which is apparently named after the month. I didn’t even know there was a French republican calendar. But the other month in the clue also ended in “-dor” and I knew therm was heat and mashed them together to form a word

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

That wrestling category from today would be on my board. And Triple Rhyme Time and Before & After. I love those classic categories and I always run the category. I also like those ones where all the responses are spelled with Roman numerals.

mlnhd fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 14, 2021

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

They could have all wagered $0 and still made the semis, because the highest loser’s score this week was $4000.

why were the scores so low this week? I guess a typical professor only focuses on their field and not trivia, but at least some must be good at it. So how did the producers select these people??

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Hostile hostel isn’t a homophone in my dialect

I still got it because I know how other(wrong) people say it.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Did that guy say he works for Hyperloop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

March 7: Why did she do that?? just blew it after ken spent 2 days building her up