Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I like it a lot. I've been planning to try and go on there for years, but I can't seem to force myself to learn about opera, baseball and the other terrible categories that inevitably will pop up.

I guess I should take the test next time I see it, though. Trebek is supposedly only going to be on for another ~2 years. I want to meet the smarmy old man in person.

I had a friend go on there before. She said Trebek was a huge dick and a class of elementary or middle school kids were there for a field trip. Trebek went off on one of the crew members which included a barrage of "f-bombs", as she put it. A crew member arrived to apologize to the kids "Mr. Trebek is having a bad day."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Frot Lesnar posted:

I forget where I read this article but there's an economic analysis research of Jeopardy that says you don't have to have perspicacity to win. You can only know a few things about a subject and as long as you don't guess too often you will probably make enough money to do well.

Example: If they have an art category you may not know the answer but answers of Picasso, Van Gogh etc are more likely than not to be correct.

There's a cheat sheet somewhere that I read, which I would make into flash cards if I ever got called up. For example "Painter from Venice" is always going to be Titian, "Polish composer" will almost always be Chopin, etc.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

KilGrey posted:

It would be awesome if you could find this. Do you remember what it was called at all?

No I haven't seen it in like 3 years but believe me when, not if, I find it, I will post it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Honestly guys, I am a huge nerd about Jeopardy. I keep score and everything. I very well could have won tonight's episode with Indonesia as the final answer-- it all would have come down to if I could ring in faster than those other people. There were a few questions nobody got right that I did.

In high school and into college, it used to be a ritual to get myself and my stoner friends together, every night at 7pm, we'd watch Jeopardy and keep score. I don't smoke weed anymore, so I don't see those people, and needless to say I know a lot more now and have quicker reaction time, etc. But I still keep this ritual going.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Jeopardy has, in the past, let people come back on when they accidentally screwed them up with a technicality/answer that should have been accepted/etc.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Registered for the test. Any tips on studying? Rather than just straight up playing old episodes on J-Archive?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I also registered. Not a lot of testing sites near VA, though, so if I pass the online test (I won't) I have to go to Nashville, TN. Like an IDIOT!

e: how would you NOT guess Mark Twain with a quote like that from 1886? THOREAU? What a bad guess, you absolute poo poo!!!

Thoreau came to mind first, but I decided it sounds something way more Twain-esque, and changed my answer before it was revealed.

I've been killing the Final Jeopardy's lately.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MrNonacho posted:

Why didn't she just wager $0 and be guaranteed her $17K and another appearance?

I wondered the same thing.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
They had at least 8 clues left on the board. That pissed me off.

Also, yeah, the contestants were moronic. I might have won if it weren't for that loving baseball final jeopardy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

zVxTeflon posted:

Christ ditch the stories segment already. I have yet to hear one that isn't some stupid as gently caress no one cares type poo poo. Give them more time to finish off the board or at least edit away some of that dead air when noone rings in.

DVR baby. I never listen to that crap.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

HookShot posted:

I rarely watch them because PVR, but I always laugh when the person's anecdote is even worse than most of them because you just KNOW that is the most interesting thing that has ever happened in that person's life.

There are probably a lot of entertaining stories that are not told because
A) the person is embarrassed
B) it would not be good for early evening network TV

Like, I have plenty of good stories... but most of them are very dark. I'd probably end up telling the story of when I met President Clinton.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Can't believe the two women didn't know which amendment gave women the right to vote. That is 10th grade poo poo. I had to memorize all the amendments in a regular class, and still know 3/4 of them.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I say reesie's piecies all the time, and I KNOW it's wrong. gently caress y'all. All a y'all.

No, gently caress you! ;)

Colonial Air Force posted:

During the commercial break, it donned on me that they meant "sex" as in "gender"*, and so I already knew it was the 19th Amendment.

*I'm not sure what other words to use, please don't hate me for being politically incorrect.

I had a feeling it would be the 19th amendment before the answer, too. It really blows my mind though, that two highly intelligent and knowledgeable women didn't get it, and the one man knew it.

And yeah, Ree-See's Pee-Sees thing has driven me crazy my whole life. Is that how they say it in E.T. or something? I know nobody that says "Ree-Sees Peanut Butter Cups."

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Ricey's Pisces

The Final Jeopardy tonight was ridiculously easy. It could have been a single Jeopardy non-daily double question.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ElwoodCuse posted:

It should have been "This imaginary character became 'real' on November 18, 1985"

And I wouldn't get it... Pinocchio would be my guess though.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Soothing Vapors posted:

I think that might be the easiest final jeopardy I've ever seen. Jesus.

Not to mention the previous one about the Seven Dwarves... Even my (stupid) father got it. I think they're switching the Final Jeopardy questions with the Single Jeopardy round $200 questions...

There were several questions about which I had no idea... But Babe Ruth and the Seven Dwarves? Come on man. I watch this show to challenge my brain, not to make it regress.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Don't fret if you don't make it. They've repeatedly said in the fine print "just because you pass the test, does not guarantee you move on to the next round."

I'm taking mine on Thursday @ 11pm. Let us know how it goes for you guys.

I expect it to be like this:
OPERA QUESTION
BRITISH MONARCH QUESTION
OPERA QUESTION
OBSCURE COMPOSER QUESTION
BASEBALL QUESTION
OPERA QUESTION

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I'm doing Thursday at 10pm.

Also you forgot LITERARY QUESTION and AMERICAN LITERARY QUESTION

Heh, those are ones I would love, though. I figuratively salivate whenever there is a literary category on the board. Same with "Classic Cinema" or "Actors" and "Basketball" categories.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Literature, Basketball, Golden Age of Cinema, Greek Mythology, Science and Wordplay/Rhyme Time/Before and After.

My perfect lineup of categories.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

AA is for Quitters posted:

From what I heard part of what they look for are contestants that'll give others a fighting chance. They don't want someone who'll just run away with everything like Jennings did because its not as fun to watch.

Jennings made that show's popularity blow up, it opened up new demographics of viewers.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That was a hell of a game. Tough Final Jeopardy, too. I can't believe it, but I guessed Carter! I'm way more excited about that than I should be.

In retrospect, it makes sense. He looks like a walking corpse, but he's still alive. Modern medicine means people live a lot longer than they used to. It's been what, 33 years since he was president?

I could have beaten Ashok on that game!

Hell, I'd be happy to come in second place and get $2,000. Enough to pay for an MRI and the travel expenses.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 9, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DrBouvenstein posted:

Gah! Something's wrong with the site, can't log in! :supaburn:

It's just hanging up in the pop up after I clicked "Log In."

Try a different browser.

e: I have a browser that is super protected with lots of add-ons and the like, and then another browser with nothing on it that saves every cookie, and the like.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
drat guys, you're making me think I'd be lucky to get 25 of them. . .

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I assume we get a new test each night, right?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Nope. Just the one.

Unless you meant, "is the test different for those who take it on the following nights?" In which case, yes.

Yeah. I meant that my questions for the Thursday test will be entirely different from the questions for the Tuesday test.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I guessed Oslo and Helsinki, but it was Oslo and Stockholm. That was a tough question. Sad to see Ashok go. He was cool.

Anybody taking the test tonight?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm taking it tomorrow night at 11pm. I have a 5 hour energy on hand in case I kept sleepy. My logic for picking Thursday was simply "there's nothing good on TV that night."

Good luck guys! Even though we're kind of competing for the same slot, I wish you all well.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I logged in to the test site and now it has a countdown of 6 minutes saying that I'm going to take the test. poo poo, I know I signed up for Thursday. I don't know what to do!

edit: Guess I'll just see what happens at the end of the countdown, and take it if it wants me to take it. I was going to do a little last minute geography studying, but what the hell? Just hope there's no ballet questions.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 10, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DrBouvenstein posted:

The day you register for is meaningless. Logging in any night there's a test makes you take it that night.

gently caress me! Oh well, I'm alert and attentive and ready to go. May as well do it now. This is the longest countdown ever... one minute until test time.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Dammit, I hosed that one up. Should not have logged in.

I knew Baby Ruth Bader Ginsberg but couldn't type it in time!!

I was a wise-rear end about one or two questions that I didn't know... "This children's book..." I wrote "Everybody Poops" and The Hunger Games star I wrote "Pretty Blonde 23423824"

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

There was a question on what tree is on the South Carolina flag. I knew it was palmetto because last year I got a question asking which state was the Palmetto State.

That's one of the few I'm certain I got right.

That one about the HBO shows was Game of Thrones, right? I don't watch it so I don't know.

And the "All In" book was Petraeus?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Oh poo poo, I got the Hoover question right!

I hope someone takes the Thursday tests and posts so I can lament about how much better I would have done if I had just waited until tomorrow.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
On the site's FAQ it says that they don't send you your score, you're only contacted if you pass... What constitutes passing?

How come so many people knew their scores a few hours afterward last night?

Ahhh, I'm so antsy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Old James posted:

For the chemistry one, it was worded in a way that made me think they wanted "inert gasses" but I am worried they won't accept that and "noble gasses" was the correct answer.

That one screwed me too, but I ended up putting noble gasses.

If I had to guess, I'm in the 35-38 range. I passed on about 4 or 5 and there were 3 I wrote wrong answers in. (I put Ayn Rand for Virginia Woolf)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Ugh... I just realized the Balkan country they wanted is obviously Montenegro.

fygar posted:

Ugh, I almost hope they don't call me after that test. What was the answer to the "Earth Around Us" question? I read it a couple of times, but I couldn't figure out what they were looking for.

Was that the 50% vegetation/carbon/bullshit whatever question? Like the second to last one? If so, I had no idea what they were asking for either and ended up leaving it blank.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I went with peat. I probably was wrong.

I feel like I did alright, though.

Peat is what I was thinking, but I didn't type it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I figured it was better to put something than nothing.

That's what I did most of the time, but on that question, I just kept reading it over and over trying to figure out what it was asking, and it skipped to the next question by that point.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

drat, that's probably it. I put loam. :smith:

Reading some articles, peat is almost certainly the correct answer. It's funny, my alcoholism (I love Scotch) is the only reason I have any idea what peat is.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Dark Grapefruit posted:

Well poo poo that was harder than I expected. I left about ten questions blank and I knew some of the answers, just couldn't recall them in time. :\

I didn't write "Bader", I hope they accept that.

They'll accept that, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Too lazy to look up answers right now, but here's the test:

1. U.S. Presidents
He preceded FDR as president

2. Books in the News
"All In" by Paula Broadwell is subtitled "The Education of" this man

3. Women's Firsts
In 1970 Antonia Novello got her M.D. from the U of Puerto Rico; in 1990 she became the first woman in this job

4. Country Singers
In 2012 this CMA co-host and hubby of Kimberly Williams had a hit with "Southern Comfort Zone"

5. On the Map
It's the biggest of the three countries on the Horn of Africa

6. In the Old Testament
God told him to sacrifice his son Isaac

7. Zoology
This order includes gorillas, lemurs, and, oh yes, humans

8. Poetry
In "The Waste Land", Eliot calls this "the cruellest month"

9. Architecture
Balcony sections include the loge and this, from the Latin for "middle"

10. The Ages of Man
In the prehistory of Europe, this "Age" known for its tools followed Stone and preceded Iron

11. Zodiac Rhyme Time
A bullish group of singers

12. U.S. States
Administratively, this state uses parishes instead of counties

13. Cable TV
Several families fight for control of Westeros on this HBO series

14. Newspapers
Now online-only, this Boston paper still runs one religious article each day

15. U.S. Museums
Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks" is a highlight of the Art Institute of this city

16. Bestselling Authors
"1st to Die" kicked off the "Women's Murder Club" series by this man who rules the bestseller lists

17. The Elements
Neon and other gases got this collective name because it was believed they could not form compounds

18. Food
Named for a German region, it's a rich chocolate cake with a cream filling and cherries

19. 19th Century America
This service began operating between St. Joseph, Missouri and Sacramento, California in 1860

20. Broadway Musicals
The logo for this show is its name with a a green witch on a broomstick over the "I"

21. Shakespeare
She's the wife of "Othello"

22. State Symbols
This tree appears in the center of South Carolina's flag

23. Let's Have a "Ball"
To prevent someone from joining a group by voting against him

24. Japan
Though many U.S. military installations still remain, this prefecture was returned to Japan in 1972

25. Philosophy
In the "Ethics", Spinoza wrote that "nature abhors" one of these

26. Before & After
Classic candy bar that became the second female Supreme Court justice

27. Foreign Holidays
It's the palindromic name for the Vietnamese New Year

28. Art Styles
This ornate style in 18th century art and design was a reaction against the weightier Baroque era

29. Children's Books
This 1947 Margaret Wise Brown book was among USA Today's 100 top sellers of 2011

30. Medicine
A goiter is an enlargement of this gland

31. Celebrities
In 2012 this "Hunger Games" star won new acclaim for her role in "Silver Linings Playbook"

32. 8-Letter Words
Adjective for animals who live in trees

33. On the Phone
It's the "Store" you'd visit to get GarageBand or Keynote for your Apple iPhone

34. Authoress! Authoress!
2003's "Blood Canticle" was another of her vampire novels

35. British Kings
The eighth king of this name gave up his throne in 1936

36. The Law
It's the formal charge issued by a grand jury saying there's enough evidence to have a trial

37. Not a State Capital
It's the seat of the University of Arizona

38. Composers
"The Emperor" and "Viennese Blood" are two of his 19th century waltzes

39. Trilogies
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is part of this timely trilogy

40. Winter Activities
Dude, I'm usually goofy footed but I went fakie & grabbed big air off the half-pipe in this sport invented in the '60s

41. Skywatchers
In the 1500s, this Polish astronomer came up with the idea that the earth moves

42. Double "E" words
This adjective means polite & refined

43. Science Fiction
23 publishers rejected his book "Dune" before it became a bestseller

44. Footwear
Four-letter word for a low cut women's shoe with a high heel

45. Recent Films
The title of this film refers to James Bond's family estate in Scotland

46. The American Revolution
In 1781 he took command of the naval ship America

47. European Countries
This Balkan country's name literally means "black mountain"

48. Stock Symbols
It makes perfect sense that these three letters are the stock symbol of the world's largest package delivery company

49. The Earth Around Us
Compressed, partially decomposed vegetation with about a 50% carbon content

50. Essays
Her essay "A Room of One's Own" argues that intellectual freedom requires financial freedom