Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Pope Douglas Ginsburg

He'd have been a great Pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The dream for me would be the other night's Astronomy final (one of those categories where even if I have 80k to my opponents' $5 each, I'd still bet it all and go for a record), but my friend correctly pointed out that with my luck I'd get some sort of obscure sports clue like this instead where I'm completely hosed unless I had a runaway game.

I'm studying and trying to shore up weaknesses like sports, but come on....this was insane even for a sports clue. All I was able to do was assume from the age and "individual sportsman" that it was a golfer. Even the aforementioned friend who can rattle off the most inane details about sports had no idea and he actively follows golf because he's secretly 80 years old posing as 35. Maybe they were hoping for a contestant who regularly reads Forbes?

See, this one to me didn't seem that hard. I'm not a huge golf fan by any stretch, but I knew Phil was around the right age and probably rich. It was an educated guess, but I got it right. That's one of my favorite things about Jeopardy-as knowledgeable as these contestants all are, they all have their blind spots.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Erwin posted:

It was worded confusingly as well. We both thought they were looking for the modern name and that seemed too obvious.

That was my feeling as well. I went with Superior myself, but I also realized I misunderstood the clue and had to re-read it twice before I realized what they were going for.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Another fairly surprising triple whiff on the Final tonight.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

It appears they're only taking contestants from the LA area right now, and honestly, the lack of variety in the contestant pool is REALLY starting to show.

Yeah, but logistically, they're the only people able to travel to the studio at this point. That said, there's 12 million in the LA Metro area, I'm hoping we just had a couple crappy nights.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
There was...not a lot of difficult clues during that game, IMO. Wow.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
That was a GREAT final clue tonight.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
The last few games are where the depleted player pool really seems to show for me. Carlos is a good player, but otherwise, the last few games have been fairly pedestrian.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jeopardy-greatest-of-all-time-the-chase-abc-1234821595/

ABC is bringing the Chase to the US with Brad, Ken, and James.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

zakharov posted:

His last show will air on Christmas. We'll find out then.

I hope expect that his last show will just end like normal. If he was still taping shows on the 29th, I can only assume the final illness came on very quickly. And, honestly, that's the way I prefer it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Doubt it would happen, but I think John Hodgman could do a really good job.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
He's also a writer and most of the comedians I follow on Twitter seem to follow him, so he's apparently of some renown.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'll be going "ooooooh, fireworks!" until the end of time now.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I’m sorry, his name is Lizard?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man, Alex’s speech at the beginning was a tough one to hear.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The '80s Jeopardy theme is the best, along with this (which I wish they'd bring back):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzYa-Upui8

The new 'board fill' sound sucks. It's like a default ringtone for a smartphone.

As a kid, my wife had a PC version of Jeopardy which came on a floppy disk. Her Dad was playing around with the disk, found all the .wav files of Alex doing voiceover, and the sound effects, and re-recorded them in his voice. When my wife started a game, the first thing she would hear is her father going "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo" for the board fill.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's really cool! I hope she was able to keep the .wavs.

Sadly, no. She looks for the disks every time we're at her parents but they haven't come up yet.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
The Dr. No bit in the first round made me laugh, particularly Brett’s reaction. Seemed very Alex-like to me.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

I laughed at this at the time; those three contestants obviously have their lives put together way too well.

As a regular listener of the Flop House, I can tell you that Elliott Kalan has the same taste in food as an eight year old and subsists primarily on Popeye's Chicken. I was honestly shocked he didn't get the Flamin' Hot Cheetos clue.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Custard?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't know about you all, but I've gotten to the point where I don't really think about Alex during the game. Yeah, there's things I'm sure he'd do better than Ken, but it's a testament to how well designed the game is that, once it's going, I don't think about the difference between him and Ken.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Vulture Culture posted:

I've still seen no sign that they approached Michael McKean, who was another obvious correct choice and probably the best Celebrity Jeopardy! contestant to ever play the game

Was Andy Richter really good, or did he just look better because he was playing against Wolf Blitzer?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
700 hours in Breath of the Wild?

Amateur.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I had a laugh at Elena and Kate’s reaction to the Russia category in Double Jeopardy. This was a fun episode.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Tonight was one of those examples where I thought that FJ was a gimme and instead only one person got it right.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Based on how this season has gone, I cannot wait for TOC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man, Hester has to be kicking herself. If she avoided buzzing in a couple times she’d have had a real shot.