Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Captain Foxy posted:

Keeper hates men (unless they're effeminate and/or gay) and since I'm a gay lady I don't interact with a lot of dudes so I pretty much do nothing about it.

He's fine with everyone while he's out and about on leash, and sucks up to people he would normally hate all the time, just to screw with me. But if you come into my house you will be BARK BARK BARK'ed at until your ears are ringing.

Beck is pretty similar. She likes my dad and the vets and that's about it for men. She will sit across our big living room from them and stare just to make sure they don't forget that's she's got her eye on them. I'll put her out of the room but I'm not really motivated to put any effort into working with her on it.

I also think her dislike of male dogs is funny. Besides, she's always at least civil to other dogs and I prefer having female dogs so it's kind of a good deal for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

notsowelp posted:

Dan turned into a humourless lump after we got him neutered. He went from being a personable, busy, well built little guy to a lazy, listless fatty. I still love him, but I miss my awesome dog and definitely regret the operation. If I have another boydog in the future I will always vasectomise if possible.

I blame not neutering Moses on laziness and it is partially that but also because I don't want it to change his personality. I firmly believe that everyone who says that neutering doesn't change a dog's personality either 1) got their dog neutered so early it didn't matter 2) had a dog that was fat a boring anyway (average lump dog) or 3) just isn't very perceptive. I have met very few non boring dogs who did not change in SOME way post neuter- often for the better, but change is change.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
What I don't get is people who on the one hand agree that neutering can reduce roaming/marking/humping/aggression/resource guarding, but on the other hand accuse people who say the dog's personality has changed for the worse of making things up :downs:.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I know the only way to get the fat cat to be normal sized is to feed him in a room away from the fluffy one. I just can't be bothered to go through that every morning. I really hope that the diet food and the fluffy one being the dominant cat will eventually do my job for me.

Also, while I enjoy seeing the cats play with da-bird, my apartment is small so there isn't much room for them to really enjoy it. It sits up in the closet pretty much unused until I move.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Not a pet island regular, but I nervously lurk a bit, and felt like having a little confession time :kimchi:.

-My white cat Warlord is 13 years old, fixed, and still humps anything microfiber. I find this hilarious, so if a roomie or friend has something soft and furry, I leave it out so he can be a pervert with it and embarrass the hell out of them.

-My youngest cat, Percival von Puffypants, is the size of a small draft horse. I actively encouraged his behavior when he learned to open doors either by the jimmying handle or by body slamming them, because it's also hilarious. He also knows a trick called 'fist bump', where he rams his head into my hand on command like a little punk rocker (I started training him like a dog as a kitten- he actually does commands :3: ).

-I own a mix breed dog that shouldn't exist (German Shepherd/Pug), and he is drat adorable. The fact that he's a rescue is all that makes up for it.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 29, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Freakbox posted:

-I own a mix breed dog that shouldn't exist (German Shepherd/Pug), and he is drat adorable. The fact that he's a rescue is all that makes up for it.

I need photographic evidence. :stare:

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
^^^^^^ it's night, but I can have one up by tomorrow. Apollyon is adorable. :buddy: His tail is a huge curly puff the size of a cinnabon! He weighs about 40ish pounds, and his face is square with a short muzzle and floppy ears and a wrinkly forehead. He is freakishly energetic and is solely responsible for my mother's fat old hound-dog losing weight.

:suicide: The...the pug was the mother, according to the shelter...the owner of the parents had thought it impossible for such a tiny dog and such a big dog to breed. Duuuuur.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 29, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trin Tragula posted:

I had exactly this confusion until I turned the box upside down, and within five minutes kitty was all OH HEY IT'S A BOX, MUST SIT ON IT ALL DAY ERRY DAY, WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT :catstare:

Sadie likes the strangest things sometimes. I tossed a towel I was spot-cleaning over an ikea footstool and OMG CAT FORT NO HUMANS ALLOWED :catstare:

It now has a blanket over it instead of a towel and also has a cat bed under there. It is her favorite spot during the day, so much so that I'm on the lookout for other similar footstools at thrift stores so that I can place one in my office too so she can hang out there if she wants.

I lean down and interrupt her relaxing all the time because she makes super cute mews when I do it.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I like my girlfriend's dog (Spice, a rough collie) more than Keeper.

There, I said it. :colbert:

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Superconsndar posted:

^5 buddy, I am selling 2 of my 3 leopard geckos because they are boring and I am moving and I want the money. I'm keeping the retarded one because it's broken and needs to be hand fed most of the time, unless I find someone who really wants a broken leopard gecko and will actually feed it and keep it warm.

My gecko is another retard. He can't eat crickets because they move, and worms outfox him sometimes. As a dumb normal male with no documentation, he's mine until he kicks it.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

tsc posted:

My gecko is another retard. He can't eat crickets because they move, and worms outfox him sometimes. As a dumb normal male with no documentation, he's mine until he kicks it.

Mine got stepped on by a coworker's kid (not maliciously, just don't buy a fragile animal and hand it to a 5 year old :downs:
,) and then they gave her to me because she stopped eating as a result. One of her pupils is now forever dilated, so there's definitely something wrong with her neurologically, but she's sassy and angry and likes to Be Warm and Attempt To Eat Everything But Miss so she can be broken and retarded with me I guess. Sitting next to a tank individually handing mealworms to a brain damaged lizard as not something I ever planned on doing, but!!!!

(To make this a confession: I secretly like that gecko, she's so mean and dumb :3:)

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Bash Ironfist posted:

-My dog puked at like 6am, and instead of getting up, I let him eat it and went back to sleep.
When Pi pukes while I'm sleeping, I wait and listen to figure out if he's eating it before I get out of bed. If he eats it, he's probably fine. If not, I wake up and check on him.

Topoisomerase posted:

Oh yeah, I encourage hella rough play with my dog too, including mouthing.
Ditto.

Asstro Van posted:

I have Opinions about euthanasia. I am perfectly comfortable with the idea of putting down basically anything for any reason. I'm not happy about it, but I feel like it should be an option instead of a superscary last resort.
I pretty much agree with you, but at the same time I'm happy I'm not the person doing the euth'ing. Also I resent people who euthanize healthy animals out of convenience, even though I think sometimes it may be in the best interest of the animal. On a similar vein, I would probably choose to euthanize my animals much, much sooner than most of PI. I don't think living as a paraplegic would be an appropriate life for my dogs, for example. Convenience doesn't come into it, I feel that the ability to move freely is such a big part of what makes my dogs who and what they are that I wouldn't even hesitate if it came to that.

I still don't regret clipping Pi for the summer and I'll probably do it again. I also still don't believe that the coat helps them regulate their temperature in the summer (though I'm happy to change my mind if I get a reasonable explanation!)

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

(To make this a confession: I secretly like that gecko, she's so mean and dumb :3:)

I don't know what it is about slightly "off" animals, but I love them dearly. For example, my rat Cubone has no idea how to socialize with other rats because I'm pretty sure she's just kind of weird psychologically (was raised with zero other rats and possibly not socialized with people either) but she loves everything!! And wants to put her hands all over you and lick your face and you're great and whee! She had to be isolated because my older girls don't want to be bothered by her being weird. But she's silly and affectionate and The Best Rat, clearly.
I kind of want a pissed-off derp lizard. I think it would be adorable. :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Captain Foxy posted:

I like my girlfriend's dog (Spice, a rough collie) more than Keeper.

There, I said it. :colbert:

Send Keeper to me. Problem solved.

uptown
May 16, 2009
-I used to hate my boyfriend's greyhound, Eva, with a passion bordering on religious. Now, after a few years of being around her, I look at her occasionally attacking people when she gets scared as a weird little quirk. She's a really good dog, as long as she's not around anyone but my boyfriend, his roommate, or me. A few years ago I was foaming at the mouth telling Troy that she had to be put down because she scarred my face, now... if it happened, I would just feel sorry for her. She was abused and it's the only way she knows how to react when startled. I know she's a liability, but...
-I judge people who don't let their dogs on the furniture. Nothing is better than watching a TV show with a cat or a dog cuddled up with you.
-I adopted a cat a few years ago, then moved to a place where I couldn't have cats for a while, so my mom kept the cats. One of them grew to hate me, and growls every time I pick her up. I think it's hilarious and will pick her up at any time that I can.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

Serella posted:

Send Keeper to me. Problem solved.

No because this goes both ways and Keeper is MY FAVORITE :byodame:

I have an urban farm. Pretty much a third of my chores are left undone each day because there just isn't enough time. No one suffers for it, though...I could probably just stand to sanitize enclosure bottoms more often and provide my meat rabbits with more toys. There is also a giant pile of dirty cages in my yard that I helped remove from a dying hoarder's house; I clean like one a week but gently caress if I want to stand in the pouring cold winter rain, hosing years old rabbit poo poo off of wire when I can just stay inside and keep busy with my own pets.

On that note, Spice doesn't get walked as much as he should in the months of rainy winter but that is more about me being lazy and not wanting to fully dry a muddy collie every time we take a stroll. He really doesn't seem to mind because he is a Lump who is just happy to live inside and get petted.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
I know it's supposed to be A Thing To Do with cats, but I don't actually find playing with my cat- you know, with string or whatever- all that fulfilling. Mostly because he'll do it for a while then afterwards he'll just kind of stare at it with that dilated-eye thing cats have going on but without actually doing anything. Obviously he's going to get bored after a while because why wouldn't he, but I still find it a little disheartening.

I prefer to give him belly scratches, but sometimes my nails catch on his nipples :gonk:

Also, I call him a turd directly to his face. But that's OK, he's a cat.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I fart on my cats.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
When my husband isn't home, I like to whip Corwin into a barking frenzy by teasing him, singing to him, or just barking at/with him until I've had enough.

I never knew I was supposed to clean my cat's litterbox daily until I started posting here, 11 years after I got him. It pretty much gets scooped once every week or two, but he also roams the yard (gasp!) and prefers making GBS threads in the dirt (I wonder why) so the box isn't very full.

I have recurring dreams that I have pets that I have forgotten about, usually small rodents of some variety. I remember that I have them after not caring for them for some weeks. They're usually in my mom's basement in the dream. o.0 This stems from guilt I have about possibly being a bad guinea pig owner when I was a kid. I had three pigs and all with the exception of one had long lives, but I think I kind of stopped caring about them in the end.

When I was little, I accidentally killed my sister's hamster. It had "wet tail" and was being medicated with something put in its water. Well, the cage was at the foot of my bed and the drat thing would not. stop. drinking. All night long. I couldn't sleep, so I took the water bottle out and it died. Poor thing was just trying to stay hydrated. :(

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

CompactFanny posted:

I fart on my cats.

I fart on my papasan chair that Bailey likes to steal when I get up from it.

Serves him right.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
After spending a day working with other people's dogs and dealing with their behavior problems, I rarely feel motivated to teach Neige anything new. As a result, she knows a handful of cues really really well, but only a handful, and I've let her forget some of the more complicated and interesting ones (like weaving around my legs). That said, I'm super proud of her "wait" cue at the food bowl. The other day, after thawing her dinner, I put her on a down-wait for it, then started making my own dinner. 5 minutes later, I remembered she was still there, eyes huge, a puddle of drool under her chin. She got some extra goodies for that one.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Inspired directly by this thread I did actually just play with my cat and it actually was fun. Probably I should just stop fretting about prolonging it as long as I can. So suddenly my post became completely redundant!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Wonder Bra posted:

When I was little, I accidentally killed my sister's hamster. It had "wet tail" and was being medicated with something put in its water. Well, the cage was at the foot of my bed and the drat thing would not. stop. drinking. All night long. I couldn't sleep, so I took the water bottle out and it died. Poor thing was just trying to stay hydrated. :(

When I was like twelve I talked my mum into getting me a mouse because ~omg mice~. She was in the tiniest cage ever and lived on her own and was terrified of me so I basically forgot about her most of the time and never, ever handled her. I used to get really annoyed with her being so noisy on her wheel at night that one night I just took it out.

She got really, really, really fat over the course of the next ~month or so and then just died, at the age of like seven months or something.

I am sorry Jinx :smith:

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

CompactFanny posted:

I fart on my cats.

Savannah is constantly under the blankets with us on the couch because she's a little warmth whore. I dutch oven her all the time. No shame :patriot:

Neena fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 29, 2012

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

RurouNNy posted:

I have an anxiety order

This is an awesome typo and also this is an awesome thread. You are all amazing.

You know, I always liked most of you, but now that I'm a mod I feel entitled to telling you all about it.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

When quite young I actively encouraged my even younger sister to capture and dress up next door neighbours' ancient ginger tom in her dolls' dresses, place him in her pram and wheel him about our garden and street.

I apologise to:

1. The poor cat, who in restrospect was probably only so placid because he was about 20 years old, senile and blind. It had a fit and died not long afterwards, I can only assume it was a direct result of the trauma it endured at our hands.

2. My sweet elderly next door neighbours, for terrorising their cat, returning it to them with pretty pink tutus and bonnets on and probably causing a much-beloved pets' death.

3. My sister, for all the scratches and bites (one rather serious) she received upon encountering less...docile kitties. She's petrified of cats now :(

4. My nephews and nieces, for the fact they have to live in a petless household due to her crippling fears.

The consequences of my actions 22 years ago are still being felt even now. Sorry guys. :(

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
I also fart on my dog. He runs away.

I torture him by saying words that he knows out of context like "park," ball," "yummy dinner," "cookies," "doggies," etc, just to watch his reaction. I am a mean dog mom.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You know what the best time is for a staring contest with your cat? It's while they're trying to take a dump.

Shifty Pony posted:

Sadie likes the strangest things sometimes. I tossed a towel I was spot-cleaning over an ikea footstool and OMG CAT FORT NO HUMANS ALLOWED :catstare:

It now has a blanket over it instead of a towel and also has a cat bed under there. It is her favorite spot during the day, so much so that I'm on the lookout for other similar footstools at thrift stores so that I can place one in my office too so she can hang out there if she wants.

You do realise that you're going to get it all set up just so and then she's gonna come in and do that specific :catstare: that means "what the gently caress are you doing, you strange creature?" and never go within five feet of it, right?

kells
Mar 19, 2009
I trapped my rabbit under a laundry basket because it was funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIOAEQNXxko

See? Hilarious!

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Dexter makes a high pitched squeak at cats, rabbits, squirrels etc. I find it way too hilarious to try to distract him or train him to not do it. Instead, I encourage it. And now it has gotten so bad that when he runs out the back door after a squirrel, I am pretty sure my neighbors believe I am electrocuting my dog. I will have to get a video of what it sounds like now, but here is one from when it was less horrible (imagine this but 2 or 3 times as squeaky and loud).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bggLwN-HXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaRJiNQw22Q

Sometimes, when he does this during a walk, people peek out their front doors with concerned looks on their face.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I have never really tried to discourage my rats from sharing my food or drinking out of my cup. I've had many a meal with a rat on each shoulder or reaching over my plate for their share. Molly has actually tried to shove me out the way because she wants to drink out of the mug right now and she says it's her turn. They have terrible table manners.

I fed them a seed mix for way longer than I should have because I couldn't get them to eat lab blocks and I felt like it was going into "insane pet owner" to mix my own food. Which I do now anyway. I guess I lost that battle.

I have on occassion countered their attempts to force their way past my lips and lick my teeth with simply pretending to swallow their entire head. DELICIOUS RAT, OM NOM NOM NOM.

I think it's way, waaaaay too funny when they get horny and hormonal and flirty.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

When the cats have been particularly annoying while demanding dinner (howling, staring, doing things they shouldn't) I will purposefully go rearrange the silverware drawer (which they associate with food) and walk in and out of the bedroom (where they are fed) for my own sick pleasure.

When I (finally) feed them, I don't put down the food until they SHUT UP FOR 5 SECONDS. This only occurs at dinnertime, so it's not even training. It's just me being an rear end.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Pile of Kittens posted:

This is an awesome typo and also this is an awesome thread. You are all amazing.

You know, I always liked most of you, but now that I'm a mod I feel entitled to telling you all about it.

Completely missed that :downs:

I also must confess that I get a lot of enjoyment out of revving my corgi up after a morning walk when my husband is still sleeping in bed. I tell her to "go git 'im!" and she runs full tilt into the bedroom and typically does a flying leap onto my sleeping husband's apple sack. He makes a horrible grunting sound and my corgi wiggles all over him and kisses his face :3: It is awesome.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
My dog was asleep and I put a laundry basket over him. He woke up and was terrified.

I broke him of his fear of the laundry basket by sitting him in it (while it was the right way up) and giving him a piece of cheese.

They're cool now.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

kells posted:

I trapped my rabbit under a laundry basket because it was funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIOAEQNXxko

See? Hilarious!

You don't know comedy until you throw a blanket over your dog. For some reason my old dog thought that spinning around on the spot was a viable escape strategy. Not really, dog!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Sometimes I like to run away from Lola when she's not looking and then let her find me. She gets Really Upset and starts screaming.

I especially did it when she was a puppy, if she tried to be a terrier and blow me off. Now she barely takes her eyes off of me. I wonder why :downs:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I like to wake up my rats by opening the cage, reaching into their hammock/tube and shaking them while saying "Buttsbuttsbutts" and then closing their cage and cackling at the confused reactions.

This thread will probably be archived by future psychologists.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I initially read the title of the thread as "Forgive me cattledogs". I have no idea why, but its stuck in my head and I unwittingly read the thread title that way too.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

Pew! Pew! posted:

reaching into their hammock/tube and shaking them while saying "Buttsbuttsbutts"

This is basically how I greet Superconsndar on AIM :3:

Mouse didn't get a walk today. Sorry dog, it is cold!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Abbeh posted:

I don't correct people when they mistake Zoso's name for "So-so" because, lets be honest here. He's only so-so.

This made me laugh, thank you!
My neighbor who I've known and has known me and my dogs for the past year still calls bRowser, bowser. And he's an older guy and pretty sure he doesn't know mario games that well. I tried to intentionally say his name a few times when he first did it, but by now I've just given up. He has the most nicknames of all my pets anyways, so whatever.

I have the worst sin ever...

My chihuahuas...use.. PEE PADS. Yup, that's right they pee on pee pads, more so in the winter/cold. They are 3lbs and 5lbs. I don't care what you say, I am not forcing them outside in the winter time when there is snow taller than their heads outside and it's like 5 degrees F without wind chill and they hate to wear sweaters and won't go to the bathroom with a dumb sweater on.

Their turds are smaller than any of our cats- and the cats poo poo in the house. I don't see what the problem is. Cat poo poo smells 10x worse anyways.

• Locked thread