Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«277 »
LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Actuarial Fables posted:

Speaking of the RHCSA, would I be doing myself a disservice by studying for the older exam based off of RHEL 7? That particular exam is available until October 2020, and the free study material I have access to doesn't have any RHEL 8 material.

At this point I’d go for RHEL8, especially if you intend to follow up with RHCE in a later stage. Changes between 7 and 8 are not that big as far as I remember. They ditched ldap/virtualization and introdiced VDO, Stratis and AppStreams.

Schadenboner posted:

So, in other words something every loving IT manager should take before they go ing-off about but don't because everything is horrible and sucks?

If you plan to move to AWS it’d probably save you anwsering hours of basic questions like “can I call Amazon to fix my issue when my application crashes?”.

that was an actual question I got from the Head of Innovation department who was responsible for coming up with the companies cloud strategy, not that long ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LochNessMonster posted:

If you plan to move to AWS it’d probably save you anwsering hours of basic questions like “can I call Amazon to fix my issue when my application crashes?”.

that was an actual question I got from the Head of Innovation department who was responsible for coming up with the companies cloud strategy, not that long ago

That’s perhaps a slightly naive question but not an outright stupid one. Depending on what the application is and which AWS services it’s using the answer could be yes, no, or maybe. Even within EC2 instances AWS provides some support for 3rd party applications.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

LochNessMonster posted:

At this point I’d go for RHEL8, especially if you intend to follow up with RHCE in a later stage. Changes between 7 and 8 are not that big as far as I remember. They ditched ldap/virtualization and introdiced VDO, Stratis and AppStreams.

Thanks. I'll go through the older material I have then wait for the updated stuff to come out.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s perhaps a slightly naive question but not an outright stupid one. Depending on what the application is and which AWS services it’s using the answer could be yes, no, or maybe. Even within EC2 instances AWS provides some support for 3rd party applications.

The question was more in line with “will Amazon do all our Ops stuff for us like SaaS”.

And it might not have been outright stupid, but I expected a lot better for the position the person had. If you’re supposed to come up with the companies cloud strategy and haven’t heard about the shared responsibility model there’s something wrong.

«277 »