Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Hughmoris posted:

Great. What's the name or platform of that 4-hour training class?

Sorry, should have clarified. Renewing is a 4 hour long training class called CompTIA CertMaster CE, which needs to be done every three years.

I'd wager around 40-60 hours of studying to prepare for the certification, depending on how much experience with IT topics you have.

NotNut posted:

Is the info in the OP up to date?

Not really, but a lot of it hasn't changed much. MCSA is no longer a thing anymore as Microsoft switched to role-based certifications, but things like CCNA being the go-to for networking still holds true. Just post questions.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cyks posted:

Sorry, should have clarified. Renewing is a 4 hour long training class called CompTIA CertMaster CE, which needs to be done every three years.

I'd wager around 40-60 hours of studying to prepare for the certification, depending on how much experience with IT topics you have.

Not really, but a lot of it hasn't changed much. MCSA is no longer a thing anymore as Microsoft switched to role-based certifications, but things like CCNA being the go-to for networking still holds true. Just post questions.

Hah that's more inline with what I was anticipating. I got excited for a second and thought I was grossly overestimating the time I needed to study.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
If you have the aptitude for it, you'll pass the first time most likely. I had two coworkers with backgrounds in IT study for a week or so and pass. But then I heard of another guy who was here for months and failed like 6 times before he was let go. Not really the norm though

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Hughmoris posted:

Hah that's more inline with what I was anticipating. I got excited for a second and thought I was grossly overestimating the time I needed to study.

I have taken it, it was 3 years now though but it was the SYO-501. It was a bit harder than I expected, but I undershot hard on the studying, I read through CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead by Darril Gibson once. Then I did some free practice tests. I should have probably bought some on udemy tbh.

I had some experience in the it-sec field though, and a degree.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hotel Kpro posted:

If you have the aptitude for it, you'll pass the first time most likely. I had two coworkers with backgrounds in IT study for a week or so and pass. But then I heard of another guy who was here for months and failed like 6 times before he was let go. Not really the norm though

xThrasheRx posted:

I have taken it, it was 3 years now though but it was the SYO-501. It was a bit harder than I expected, but I undershot hard on the studying, I read through CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead by Darril Gibson once. Then I did some free practice tests. I should have probably bought some on udemy tbh.

I had some experience in the it-sec field though, and a degree.

Thanks. I'm coming in cold with security stuff but I'd like to think I have general aptitude for the stuff. I'll probably start hitting the books this weekend.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks. I'm coming in cold with security stuff but I'd like to think I have general aptitude for the stuff. I'll probably start hitting the books this weekend.

Warning, it has a huge part on PKI, prepare your heart lol

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Whats the Azure equivalent of the AWS Solutions Architect cert?

I need to start working with Azure and would like a good wide introduction to it. Not a stupid sales cert, learn the vocab type deal. Like a decent mid level cert that will give introduce me to the main services and concepts.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think that’s AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals. Gives you a wide overview of the service from spinning up VMs to reports and billing. Nothing overly technical.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I've had two IT gigs but would like to get some certs to help shore up some stuff (studying being the shoring up portion and the cert being the proving portion, of course) but am unsure how I should approach study guides? Should I be looking for the most recent edition or does it not matter too much if it's a 2019 or 2020?

Figured I'd shoot this out there before I go hunting back through the last 100 pages.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Depends on the certification and when the exam was last updated. Which ones were you looking at?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
whoops! totally spaced saying so. Just basic stuff, CompTIA A+ to get started I figure, why not?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

star eater posted:

whoops! totally spaced saying so. Just basic stuff, CompTIA A+ to get started I figure, why not?

Professor Messer is completely free on Youtube and goes over most of the CompTIA certs. He's actually really good, but kinda on the dry side.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Professor Messer is completely free on Youtube and goes over most of the CompTIA certs. He's actually really good, but kinda on the dry side.

Drier than Sander Van Vugt?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Sick. Watching his study group for may 2021 at 1.5x speed is tolerable.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

star eater posted:

Sick. Watching his study group for may 2021 at 1.5x speed is tolerable.

Oh, I can't vouch for the study groups since I never used any of them. The training courses are more focused rather than jumping around: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnlGHY8ObL8DiyP3AIu9vd3K

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Whats the Azure equivalent of the AWS Solutions Architect cert?

I need to start working with Azure and would like a good wide introduction to it. Not a stupid sales cert, learn the vocab type deal. Like a decent mid level cert that will give introduce me to the main services and concepts.

All the 900 level certs are intro ones. You probably want something like Az 104, which is the admin one.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/exams/az-104

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Completed the GCP Cloud Digital Leader cert on Friday.

Next up is Data Engineer, then re-certifying my PCA. After that, going to start looking at some project/non GCP certs for 2022.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What books are recommended for CISSP?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

11th Hour CISSP
Official CISSP Practice Tests

That’s really all you need imo. Maybe supplement domains you’re light in with videos and whatnot.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

11th Hour CISSP
Official CISSP Practice Tests

That’s really all you need imo. Maybe supplement domains you’re light in with videos and whatnot.

Thats what I used and it worked for me. There are some decent YouTube videos out there for free as well. Best advice think like a manager, think big picture, dont think like an IT person and get in the weeds and super technical.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://csc.docs.microsoft.com/ignite/registration/fall2021?WT.mc_id=AZ-MVP-5000399

MS Ignite cloud challenge is up! Get your free exam voucher

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thanks, signed up the AZ-800 one which is supposed to be the replacement for the old server exams

Uno Venova
Jan 19, 2020
I must say I'm really enjoying this 15 week cohort at per scholas, I especially like the career development and feel like I'm learning a lot, of course I could have self taught but I like the structure, hopefully it all works out early next year

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

As good a reason as any to finally start playing around with Azure. Thanks for the link!

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
What career(s) posting should I be focusing on if I'm getting the "trifeca" certs from CompTIA (A+, Net+, Sec+)? I've got two so far, and I've been applying to help-desk and other places with no "professional IT experience" and struck out so far. Get a couple interviews, "we'll get back to you"/ghosting or "you have no experience, so we're passing" responses.

It's honestly getting a little annoying. If someone would let me get my foot in the door, I could at least then focus on the position/job they want, but with A+/Net+, you'd think they'd at least understand I know the basics and am willing to learn/work my way up from junior into something?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

What career(s) posting should I be focusing on if I'm getting the "trifeca" certs from CompTIA (A+, Net+, Sec+)? I've got two so far, and I've been applying to help-desk and other places with no "professional IT experience" and struck out so far. Get a couple interviews, "we'll get back to you"/ghosting or "you have no experience, so we're passing" responses.

It's honestly getting a little annoying. If someone would let me get my foot in the door, I could at least then focus on the position/job they want, but with A+/Net+, you'd think they'd at least understand I know the basics and am willing to learn/work my way up from junior into something?

Register a LLC, fix your friend’s and family’s tech poo poo for six months, do a few cloud projects (idk host a nas with user accounts for movie night, or a pihole dns server, make it something you actually use), and put IT Consultant and AWS on your resume.

You can probably even skip the LLC.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm actually focusing on these micro-lessons! My ADD + a browser is usually a total nonstarter for studying, but this is actually holding my attention. I think the gamification is helping too since you get XP points and level up.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

The Iron Rose posted:

Register a LLC, fix your friend’s and family’s tech poo poo for six months, do a few cloud projects (idk host a nas with user accounts for movie night, or a pihole dns server, make it something you actually use), and put IT Consultant and AWS on your resume.

You can probably even skip the LLC.

So nobody help/remote will actually "train"/let you shadow for a few weeks and then go from there? I mean, I'm not going to "rm -rf / [-no-preserve-root]" a file system. I know of Active Directory, I just haven't ever used it being focused on SOHO stuff.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I usually recommend reaching out to a recruiter looking to fill entry level seats with an outside company as managers are willing to take a chance with somebody who is just an operational expense that they can cut whenever.

Your pay may suck at first but once you get some months of solid experience your worth to employers in the tech industry jumps up exponentially.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Cyks posted:

I usually recommend reaching out to a recruiter looking to fill entry level seats with an outside company as managers are willing to take a chance with somebody who is just an operational expense that they can cut whenever.

Your pay may suck at first but once you get some months of solid experience your worth to employers in the tech industry jumps up exponentially.

seriously--open and cultivate a LinkedIn. I get 4-5 recruiters headhunting me a month for tier 1/2 support and I don't have any certs listed. nothing but a 2023 graduation date and data entry on my profile.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Famethrowa posted:

seriously--open and cultivate a LinkedIn. I get 4-5 recruiters headhunting me a month for tier 1/2 support and I don't have any certs listed. nothing but a 2023 graduation date and data entry on my profile.

Well, I'm not a college graduate, which might be a problem.

I do have a linked in, but I haven't delved into finding folks on it too much. I put up "open for recruitment" and forgot it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

I do have a linked in, but I haven't delved into finding folks on it too much. I put up "open for recruitment" and forgot it.

If you are applying for jobs, take the text if all the jobs your are applying for, throw it in a word cloud, pick out the top 10 or 20 meaningful words and make sure they are in your profile somewhere.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

I'm not either (will be done next year) but I have been getting a ton of hits from really utilizing it. Even just putting in my header "Seeking opportunities in cloud tech..." has gotten me attention from recruiters. Especially for IT, you'd be silly not to use it.

To talk on the topic of the thread, I am getting discouraged as I'm studying for the AWS CCP exam and not getting great scores. It's their entry level cert so if I'm having trouble with this... :negative:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

I'm not either (will be done next year) but I have been getting a ton of hits from really utilizing it. Even just putting in my header "Seeking opportunities in cloud tech..." has gotten me attention from recruiters. Especially for IT, you'd be silly not to use it.

To talk on the topic of the thread, I am getting discouraged as I'm studying for the AWS CCP exam and not getting great scores. It's their entry level cert so if I'm having trouble with this... :negative:

Dont sweat it. If you're new to IT theres a fair amount of assumed knowledge you might be missing out on.

Whats important is that you're learning the foundational concepts that you'll use the rest of your career working with AWS. Take your time, and take a break if you need to.

There is also a AWS thread in Cavern of Cobol I believe. Feel free to ask questions on concepts you're getting stuck on.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm almost a decade in lol. To be fair most of that is help desk and deskside support so it's all completely new to me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

So nobody help/remote will actually "train"/let you shadow for a few weeks and then go from there? I mean, I'm not going to "rm -rf / [-no-preserve-root]" a file system. I know of Active Directory, I just haven't ever used it being focused on SOHO stuff.

I have never been trained by an employer, ever, in all my five years of working in the industry. People want experts out of the gate. You’re going to have to be able to present yourself as one.

It’s unfortunate, short sighted, self selects for certain types of people… but it’s how the game is played. I really think the best way to get a job with no experience is to do it yourself so you can almost honestly say you have experience already. With a modicum of critical thinking skills and ambition you’ll be better than 90% of the rest. Once you’re in, the bar is so so low… by posting here and being motivated, I have no doubt you’ll excel. It’s just getting in that’s the harder part!

Also happy to answer any questions folks have, on AWS or otherwise. People here want to help. I genuinely recommend doing some casual consults and putting it on your resume if you haven’t gotten bites, and playing with the cloud in the interim.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 20, 2021

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Getting security+ will also open doors to military/government jobs. I'm in that role now and they usually won't consider you if you don't have it already

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Hotel Kpro posted:

Getting security+ will also open doors to military/government jobs. I'm in that role now and they usually won't consider you if you don't have it already

Not necessarily true!

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Hotel Kpro posted:

Well, I'm getting Security+ sometime in the new year (I need to see if it's updated yet) just to have the "trifeca"/three CompTIA beginner certs and those renew every three years. Security is an area I have interest in (until we know how extensive/exhaustive Sec+ is, Net+ was very dry. :p).

But right now nobody is biting due to "lack of professional experience." I had an interview like last week and they were like "wow, you're self-taught, you're a fast learner?" "Yeah." "Let me talk to the hiring manager. *week passes nothing since*" which can be pretty annoying.

The LLC might be the way to go. But that requires advertising myself/putting myself out there as another repair business in the area as I have no "friends and family" that really need computer repair work like that. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Well, I'm getting Security+ sometime in the new year (I need to see if it's updated yet) just to have the "trifeca"/three CompTIA beginner certs and those renew every three years. Security is an area I have interest in (until we know how extensive/exhaustive Sec+ is, Net+ was very dry. :p).

But right now nobody is biting due to "lack of professional experience." I had an interview like last week and they were like "wow, you're self-taught, you're a fast learner?" "Yeah." "Let me talk to the hiring manager. *week passes nothing since*" which can be pretty annoying.

The LLC might be the way to go. But that requires advertising myself/putting myself out there as another repair business in the area as I have no "friends and family" that really need computer repair work like that. :/

You might be taking the LLC thing too literally.

All you're trying to do is create a just-barely-true paper trail for your experience in IT. The more important part is that you actually have the skills to back this up -- A+, Sec+, and Net+ along with the general troubleshooting/problem solving mindset that technically inclined goons probably have is genuinely enough for your first IT role.

Put it on your resume and say you've been there for the past six months. Put in some general wordcloud terms (the advice to pick buzzwords from job postings you're aiming for is great) for the bullets of what you did there, and when anyone asks say it was a small company you started to formalize the consulting that you started doing for friends and family that grew into some one-off work for small businesses or something.

Find one person to function as a reference client and talk with them ahead of time about what you'd like them to say.

This can be like 20 minutes of thinking and planning -- all you're doing is backing up the stuff you know how to do with some resume stuff to get through the HR filter.

Getting that first foothold can be tricky, but once you do, you can drop this LLC thing off your resume and linkedin and never think about it again.