Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The CCNA retirement has me thinking the opposite - be ready to go for the new ones, in the belief that, oh, early adopter, they'll "last longer".

I am sure the new one would be more beneficial, but as someone who doesn't primarily do networking or whan to, I figure it will be a nice mark to have on the resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Awesome thank you! Signed up for the March/May class. Moving to either Denver or Portland fall of next year, so definitely looking into getting myself trained up for things like this.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

moron posted:

Great, thanks guys!

Retaking Exams

The policies for retaking exams are as follows:

Candidates may only take a beta exam once.
Candidates who fail an exam must wait a period of five (5) calendar days, beginning the day after the failed attempt, before they may retest for the same exam.
Once passed, a candidate must wait a minimum of 180 days before taking the same exam with an identical exam number.
Candidates who violate these policies are in violation of the agreement. Such conduct is strictly prohibited as described in the Cisco Certification and Confidentiality Agreement.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/policies.html#~Policies

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Moey posted:

I am sure the new one would be more beneficial, but as someone who doesn't primarily do networking or whan to, I figure it will be a nice mark to have on the resume.

At a glance, it seems like Cisco is trying to remove a lot of the extraneous stuff that they've taken criticism from before and streamlining the exam. I'd like to see the CCNA and CCNP include something on current broadband and WAN technologies like MPLS and Metro E rather than poo poo like DSL and Frame Relay. Granted, there are some important considerations concerning frame relay (split horizon issues, neighbor advertisements, etc.) that should be addressed, but I'm not sure they need to put as great of an emphasis on it as they do.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Tasty Wheat posted:

Once passed, a candidate must wait a minimum of 180 days before taking the same exam with an identical exam number.

So if you take an exam and pass, you can't take the exact same one for 6 months. Why would you retake it if you passed? That just seems stupid.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ShadowStalker posted:

So if you take an exam and pass, you can't take the exact same one for 6 months. Why would you retake it if you passed? That just seems stupid.

That's really more to prevent you from helping others cheat by copying the exam somehow.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
My view is that the old test is fine if you plan to go on to the CCNP route after but otherwise taking the old test means you miss out on a bit.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Brut posted:

That's really more to prevent you from helping others cheat by copying the exam somehow.

The same reasoning that your photo is recorded with your test, and that your test results in the testing center are preliminary. It's all about making it a bit harder for people to cheat. There is no telling what other metrics are collected, what else in embedded in the material, what is used to protect the validity of the test and its results.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

ShadowStalker posted:

Alot of training partners send their trainers to take the test over and over again to help them better understand and prepare their students for what is on the test. Read that as they are trying to tailor their class to the test to ensure that you pass, which then you will tell everyone that you passed because of this awesome class from Flobbles Training, which will then bring in more people and more money for them.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

workape posted:

Alot of training partners send their trainers to take the test over and over again to help them better understand and prepare their students for what is on the test. Read that as they are trying to tailor their class to the test to ensure that you pass, which then you will tell everyone that you passed because of this awesome class from Flobbles Training, which will then bring in more people and more money for them.

Is this some sort of grey area as far as NDA is concerned? It sounds like a clear violation to me.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

ToG posted:

Is this some sort of grey area as far as NDA is concerned? It sounds like a clear violation to me.

I have no idea. I was sitting a class a couple years ago and the instructor flat out said it when we all went out to lunch. I stared at him for a minute with a boggled look and then moved on. I am guessing because they aren't giving you the questions directly they aren't breaking the NDA. It's a big difference between saying that "you'll need to know all the OSPFv3 LSA's" to "you need to fully understand how the type 8 OSPFv3 LSA works because there will be questions."

I guess?

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

ToG posted:

If I have you lab out a NAT question what's verbatim to the test, sure, that is a clear violation. If I have you lab out 10 different NAT questions, where you implement NAT with SDM, confirm functionally in the CLI and use ping.

That is not a NDA violation, it's from Cisco's blueprint.
"Enable NAT for a small network with a single ISP and connection using SDM and verify operation using CLI and ping"

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

Ehh. Maybe I should just cram and knock out the CCNA before those tests retire?

gently caress it. I'm gonna do this. Figure can do ICND1 by end of July and then ICND2 in September.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Moey posted:

gently caress it. I'm gonna do this. Figure can do ICND1 by end of July and then ICND2 in September.

If you have any network experience at all (i.e. know basically what ethernet/serial/fiber/coax are, have an idea what a switch/router/hub/bridge are, etc), then ICND1 isn't that bad. I've been cramming for about a week and I feel very confident about it. The only lovely part was waiting for the damned OSI model to click in my head. After I got that down the rest was pretty simple.

I've been looking over some of the ICND2 stuff and it seems a good deal more involved, so that may take longer.

My point is, end of July is definitely a good goal :)

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Praise the Lord my boss finally approved my VCP course. What is the current consensus on the best self study material for the VCP?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Syano posted:

Praise the Lord my boss finally approved my VCP course. What is the current consensus on the best self study material for the VCP?

Lab and Scott lowe.

I like this book alot http://www.amazon.com/Administering...5&keywords=vcp5 has nice text book style labs.

Maybe I'll spend next week uploading all my VMware videos to my site(I have not updated it since my new job), it's my birthday but I don't feel like doing much after a weekend of moving

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 28, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

My point is, end of July is definitely a good goal :)

Good to hear! Remembering the different uses for each OSI layer is one thing I will need to drill into my head. Maybe I can find some flashcards or something.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Moey posted:

Good to hear! Remembering the different uses for each OSI layer is one thing I will need to drill into my head. Maybe I can find some flashcards or something.

Once I straightened it out in my head to...

Physical -> Data Link -> Network -> Transport
Bits -> Frames -> Packets -> Segments
1s/0s -> MAC address -> IP address -> Port

...it started to make more sense to me.

Good luck!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

Good luck!

Awesome. I'll make sure to start grinding that into my brain at least once a day.

I have been using http://www.subnettingquestions.com/ for practice. And am drat close to 100% (minus some math fuckupery). Is this going to be similar to what I should be expecting?

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

Moey posted:

Awesome. I'll make sure to start grinding that into my brain at least once a day.

I have been using http://www.subnettingquestions.com/ for practice. And am drat close to 100% (minus some math fuckupery). Is this going to be similar to what I should be expecting?

That is a good practice site. When you can comfortably solve most of the problems within 10-20 seconds, subnetting portion of CCNA curriculum won't give you trouble.

Just remember -2 rule for address allocation :)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AtmaHorizon posted:

Awesome. I have that burned into my head already!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

AtmaHorizon posted:

Yeah, it's the little things like that that are the worst when you don't think about them.

Like last night when I spent about an hour trying to figure out why two of my routers weren't talking via serial. Hmm... clock rate is right on the DCE side... the cable is going the right way... IP address is right, I don't see any subnet issue...

Decided to go eat dinner and come back to troubleshoot afterward.

"show ip interface brief"...

SIGH.

"interface serial 0/0", "no shutdown"

I was so mad at myself about that one :)

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
After working helpdesk / pc repair for 5 years (and being out of the game for a year or so) I'm looking to get my certs. Upon the advice of the head of the IT department out here I'm working on my Network+ and Security+. Is it true Network+ / A+ is a pretty basic exam, as in simplicity?

I was looking at the other Certs Comptia offers and there's one for Strata IT Fundamentals.

http://certification.comptia.org/getCertified/certifications/strata_it_fundamentals.aspx

Is that a "joke" certification? Am I better not wasing money on that and putting whatever funds are there towards a different exam?

I took a cursory look at the thread and read the OP and didn't really see any advice about it. Thanks.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
I've never heard of Strata so I would ignore it. Something like A+ or a Microsoft certification would get way more name recognition.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Missed the 801 by four measly points today :argh:

I took the 802 one piss-break later and bested it by 106 points.

I officially want to announce that Sybex is garbage.

So long, rest of my savings. Hopefully, this certification will help me land a job soon.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I might add this to the OP just to head people off:

Unless your job specifically requires or will pay for a N+, go for a CCNA instead. You'll cover all of the same material in ICND1 at a lower cost, and the CCNA will have a substantially higher return on investment than a N+.

Bottom line:
Get your CCNA instead of wasting time on the N+

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You could say that about every CompTIA cert. The A+ might have a little value as an entry level cert, but a Windows 7 or whatever the MCDST cert these days is just as good in my book.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
I dunno, I did Network+ a decade ago and just did my ICND1 for CCENT. I don't want CCNA because I don't want to be a network guy. I want to understand ARP, basic routing, subnetting, TCP ports, and things like that but I'm more of an OS and storage dude. I expect that I'll have a network team at every job so I just want to show I know the basics and can get the network guys the info they need to troubleshoot the problem.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

hackedaccount posted:

I don't want CCNA because I don't want to be a network guy.
Sorry, I just don't understand this sentence.

I don't want to be a network guy either, but I want my CCNA. It's hard enough to get past that HR screen. I'll take any bullet I can get. And if the CCNA in any way allows me to communicate better or seem that much more impressive to my network team, then I'm right there. I mean, if it's a free time issue, if you literally have a choice between a sys admin cert and the CCNA, then yes go sys admin, but I will not unilaterally dismiss any certification.

Except for the CompTIA cert. I agree with skipdogg completely. Skip all of them. I am just one guy, but I see A+ at this point and I think "guy with a sweet gaming rig and 20k posts on a troubleshooting forum, 19k of which are copy/paste instructions of how to scan for a virus and post the log".

Certifications I want because they make me more employable and more knowledgeable:
[ ] CompTIA
[x] Everything else

If I was to list the certifications that I want, they'd read like a who's who of a bad Craigslist post, and I'll never get there. I know I won't get there. It's not the point. I'd rather overreach than pick up a Windows 7 cert and go oh yeah that's probably enough. I'd like a CCIE, a VCDX, and a MCM. That can't happen, but it's a goal. I'd rather overshoot.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 29, 2013

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

hackedaccount posted:

I dunno, I did Network+ a decade ago and just did my ICND1 for CCENT. I don't want CCNA because I don't want to be a network guy. I want to understand ARP, basic routing, subnetting, TCP ports, and things like that but I'm more of an OS and storage dude. I expect that I'll have a network team at every job so I just want to show I know the basics and can get the network guys the info they need to troubleshoot the problem.

As a storage guy a CCNA is an pretty valuable cert. Assuming that you have competent network admins who can configure their switches properly for your network attached storage is a good way to end up getting blamed when your storage doesn't perform properly. This is equally true on the OS side.

Even though I rarely do any switch configuration myself the fact that I learned about link aggregation, vlan tagging, basic routing, and how to configure all of that has made it a lot easier to do my job because I can double check the configs to ensure that we are doing things properly on the switch from a storage perspective like using setting the correct native and allowed vlans, using the correct port channel modes, setting the correct load balancing policies, exposing or not-exposing gateways depending on whether I want the network routed or not, setting the correct spanning tree port type, and so on. I work with a lot of storage admins who don't consider that stuff important and only have a basic understanding of networking and they have a harder time troubleshooting and I often discover that they aren't running things the best way possible because they relied on the network team to do it, and the network team doesn't necessarily understand the specific needs of network based storage.

In my previous job where I managed a team of storage and backup administrators I considered a Network+ almost completely worthless, but a CCNA or just a working knowledge of how to configure some basic layer 2 stuff on a cisco switch like trunking, tagging or port channel was valuable enough to really increase your chances of getting hired. If nothing else it meant that you were likely inquisitive and interested in technology generally and weren't likely to be one of those people who says "sorry, I just do X, I can't help you with anything outside of my narrow focus."

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

NippleFloss posted:

As a storage guy a CCNA is an pretty valuable cert. Assuming that you have competent network admins who can configure their switches properly for your network attached storage is a good way to end up getting blamed when your storage doesn't perform properly. This is equally true on the OS side.

Speaking as a network admin, this is 100% correct. Don't trust us. Don't trust anyone. (We try, but every team has that jerk whom you know braindumped his way in. We try to get that guy to bomb out as fast as we can.)

By and large I agree on the CompTIA point, with the exception of your government types who need Security+ to meet some random DoD requirement. Aside from that, I know when we hire, CompTIA certs mean little to nothing at this point.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

psydude posted:

I might add this to the OP just to head people off:

Unless your job specifically requires or will pay for a N+, go for a CCNA instead. You'll cover all of the same material in ICND1 at a lower cost, and the CCNA will have a substantially higher return on investment than a N+.

Bottom line:
Get your CCNA instead of wasting time on the N+

I think it depends on whether you're trying to improve your knowledge or your CV. I did N+ first, as my understanding of networking technology was very poor. I think if I'd just dived into the CCNA I would have really struggled; Lammle even says in his book's introduction that he's writing assuming you're at N+ level.
My employer does pay for my exams though, so it's not like it's my money I'm wasting. :v:

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

I think it depends on whether you're trying to improve your knowledge or your CV. I did N+ first, as my understanding of networking technology was very poor. I think if I'd just dived into the CCNA I would have really struggled; Lammle even says in his book's introduction that he's writing assuming you're at N+ level.
My employer does pay for my exams though, so it's not like it's my money I'm wasting. :v:

Speaking from experience. Reading Lammle book (5th edition of CCNA study guide) without any networking experience is very hard and daunting.
Mostly because you don't know where described technology fits in.

netw1z
Oct 19, 2008
. . .

Jedi425 posted:

By and large I agree on the CompTIA point, with the exception of your government types who need Security+ to meet some random DoD requirement. Aside from that, I know when we hire, CompTIA certs mean little to nothing at this point.

What's the general consensus on the CompTIA Linux+ then? That nets you LPIC certs in addition to the CompTIA one – but then is it best to just go for, say, the RHCSA instead?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

kewld00d posted:

What's the general consensus on the CompTIA Linux+ then? That nets you LPIC certs in addition to the CompTIA one – but then is it best to just go for, say, the RHCSA instead?

Personally, and take this with about a dumpster's worth of salt, I don't know a single Linux admin who has it. But not being a Linux guy myself, I can't say there's no one with them. Just no one I've met.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW
Really you're more apt to run into Linux admins with Red Hat certification than Linux+

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

kewld00d posted:

It's what Google and Novel uses for their employees. It's not completely worthless but it's not as valuable as the RHCSA.

I'm working on getting it in a few months because my job will pay for it and I can't be unix illiterate no longer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you're coming in to the CCNA with zero networking knowledge, reading the N+ book is a good idea, but even then taking the exam may be a waste of money if your job isn't paying for it.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Sorry, I just don't understand this sentence.

I don't want to be a network guy either, but I want my CCNA. It's hard enough to get past that HR screen. I'll take any bullet I can get. And if the CCNA in any way allows me to communicate better or seem that much more impressive to my network team, then I'm right there. I mean, if it's a free time issue, if you literally have a choice between a sys admin cert and the CCNA, then yes go sys admin, but I will not unilaterally dismiss any certification.

Except for the CompTIA cert. I agree with skipdogg completely. Skip all of them. I am just one guy, but I see A+ at this point and I think "guy with a sweet gaming rig and 20k posts on a troubleshooting forum, 19k of which are copy/paste instructions of how to scan for a virus and post the log".

Certifications I want because they make me more employable and more knowledgeable:
[ ] CompTIA
[x] Everything else

If I was to list the certifications that I want, they'd read like a who's who of a bad Craigslist post, and I'll never get there. I know I won't get there. It's not the point. I'd rather overreach than pick up a Windows 7 cert and go oh yeah that's probably enough. I'd like a CCIE, a VCDX, and a MCM. That can't happen, but it's a goal. I'd rather overshoot.

The thing people need to realize is that I don't want to become a network guy due to duty creep. I showed a company I knew a little HTML years ago and when I did guess who the "webmaster" came to with questions? Same thing with Java at other gig and after a while I was doing people's jobs for them. You must impose limits because if you don't people will walk all over you - look at the outlandish requirements on job descriptions. CCENT and Network+ give me enough to do my job and I don't want to be an IT Superstar who also troubleshoots router config issues because the network team can't handle it. How much extra are you paying me, the OS guy, to troubleshoot Cisco mis-configurations? None? Well then...

My certifications, training, accomplishments, self-study, and years of experience get me past the HR screens. The keyword "CCNA" doesn't show up on jobs I apply for but the word "Cisco" might so my CCENT will meet that requirement and I can talk with the hiring manager in detail about my potential network related duties. Oh you want me to do Linux and Windows and Cisco and Checkpoint for 70k/year? Pass. If you want to study for something you'll never touch because you're scared of HR then knock yourself out but I got a full clip without my CCNA.

I don't have to impress the network team. They don't see my resume, I don't interview with them, they have no say in my hiring process, I don't want to work for them, and I don't have to show them how awesome I am with my OSPF knowledge. You know what impresses the OS and network guys I've worked with? Providing the proper information so the networking team can troubleshoot a problem or configure things properly. Here's the source IP, source MAC address, destination IP, destination port, netmask, VLAN, default gateway, ping, telnet, and traceroute output now have at it and e-mail me when you're done.

Yes, it's a free time issue. I have a lot of certs but what should I do, get the Cisco WiFi cert just in case the WiFi guy gets run over buy a bus? I'm a go-getter but I have limits and I'm not going to dump a few weeks or months of my life into WiFi just because I might touch it someday or to get the ego stroke of a raised eyebrow from a network guy. I could waste the next half-decade of my life getting all of the Red Hat certificates of expertise but I won't.

The other side of the coin is does the networking team want my help? Do they want a Linux guy with a CCNA and no real experience sticking my nose in their business? It's much wiser to tell them what I want to accomplish and they find the best way to accomplish it rather than me coming to them and saying "hey dudes here's some new router and switch configs, slap these into place real quick PS: I have a CCNA don't worry about it, k thx bye."

NippleFloss posted:

Even though I rarely do any switch configuration myself the fact that I learned about link aggregation, vlan tagging, basic routing, and how to configure all of that has made it a lot easier to do my job because I can double check the configs to ensure that we are doing things properly on the switch from a storage perspective like using setting the correct native and allowed vlans, using the correct port channel modes, setting the correct load balancing policies, exposing or not-exposing gateways depending on whether I want the network routed or not, setting the correct spanning tree port type, and so on. I work with a lot of storage admins who don't consider that stuff important and only have a basic understanding of networking and they have a harder time troubleshooting and I often discover that they aren't running things the best way possible because they relied on the network team to do it, and the network team doesn't necessarily understand the specific needs of network based storage.

In my previous job where I managed a team of storage and backup administrators I considered a Network+ almost completely worthless, but a CCNA or just a working knowledge of how to configure some basic layer 2 stuff on a cisco switch like trunking, tagging or port channel was valuable enough to really increase your chances of getting hired. If nothing else it meant that you were likely inquisitive and interested in technology generally and weren't likely to be one of those people who says "sorry, I just do X, I can't help you with anything outside of my narrow focus."

Yeah, and what's happening to you is what I'm talking about above: You're doing the network team's job for them, it's duty creep. You're letting people blame you for a problem that isn't yours and thus you are being forced to learn new things to make up for their shortcomings. You're essentially hiring multi-discipline storage admins to make up for the lack of skills, manpower, or discipline on your networking team and that's really scary. Over the years I've had similar issues ("my app doesn't work, it's the OSes fault!") and I've learned how to nip that in the bud. I'm "inquisitive and interested in technology" but making me learn Java because a lovely program is running on my OS? No thanks.

Some of us don't want to become jacks of all trades because the scope is literally endless. I could learn C, OSPF, Java, Python, Ruby, Arch Linux, Windows, Juniper, Citrix, Checkpoint, project management, Xen, OS-X, Chef, Puppet, Salt, Hadoop, and a billion other things that would in some way or another help me fix a problem but I have to draw the line somewhere.

In the end it's up to the individual, but I'm not going to spend my time outside of work learning IS-IS so I can help the 20 person network team solve routing problems. If they can't solve it, or can't work with Cisco to solve it, or can't post to a mailing list then tough tomatoes - fire them, hire someone who can, and don't expect the Linux guy to pick up the slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

QPZIL posted:

Good luck!

"All prostitutes seem to need deep penetration"