Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm so glad I decided to finally buck up and study for the CCNA now, so that I can have it done before the September deadline.

The newer exams have IPv6 on them, right? The current ICND1/2 don't have them, correct?

The CCENT stuff is different than I expected. I was expecting more lab stuff, but it's mostly definitions and the damned OSI model, with a littttle bit of network setup (intro config, static routing, RIP, DHCP).

After spending a while getting GNS3 setup so that I can telnet/SSH into my fake routers, it's working great. And I can vouch for CBTNuggets being pretty great, especially the explanation of subnetting. I went from being completely mystified by subnet masks to being able to almost completely do them in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

psydude posted:

Current CCNA has a lot of IPv6. CCNP has even more of it.

When you say current, are you talking about 640-822 or 100-101?

Granted, IPv6 would be good to know anyway.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
For everything up through CCNP R&S, should the following be sufficient? It's not perfect, but it's what I happen to have.

Routers: 2610, 1721
Switches: 2950, 2950, 3550

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tasty Wheat posted:

Next time I say that "I have to much time on my hands, lets go pick up a new cert", I need to hit myself in the head with a brick. At least the pain is over quickly.

What cert was that?

I'm finally ready for my first MCSA exam (70-410) and my first CCNA exam (640-822). ...and my boss is out for the next week so I can't schedule it yet :negative:

The CCENT stuff was surprisingly really simple after subnetting finally clicked in my head. But I can tell the ICND2 exam is going to be a whole different animal, what with VLANs and STP and stuff.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Moey posted:

gently caress it. I'm gonna do this. Figure can do ICND1 by end of July and then ICND2 in September.

If you have any network experience at all (i.e. know basically what ethernet/serial/fiber/coax are, have an idea what a switch/router/hub/bridge are, etc), then ICND1 isn't that bad. I've been cramming for about a week and I feel very confident about it. The only lovely part was waiting for the damned OSI model to click in my head. After I got that down the rest was pretty simple.

I've been looking over some of the ICND2 stuff and it seems a good deal more involved, so that may take longer.

My point is, end of July is definitely a good goal :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Moey posted:

Good to hear! Remembering the different uses for each OSI layer is one thing I will need to drill into my head. Maybe I can find some flashcards or something.

Once I straightened it out in my head to...

Physical -> Data Link -> Network -> Transport
Bits -> Frames -> Packets -> Segments
1s/0s -> MAC address -> IP address -> Port

...it started to make more sense to me.

Good luck!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

AtmaHorizon posted:

Just remember -2 rule for address allocation :)

Yeah, it's the little things like that that are the worst when you don't think about them.

Like last night when I spent about an hour trying to figure out why two of my routers weren't talking via serial. Hmm... clock rate is right on the DCE side... the cable is going the right way... IP address is right, I don't see any subnet issue...

Decided to go eat dinner and come back to troubleshoot afterward.

"show ip interface brief"...

SIGH.

"interface serial 0/0", "no shutdown"

I was so mad at myself about that one :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
edit: ^^^ heh.

Tasty Wheat posted:

"All prostitutes seem to need deep penetration"

I've heard "please do not throw sausage pizza away," but I think I like yours better.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Moey posted:

So just worked through this CCENT practice test and got 86%. Haven't done much real studying yet outside of subnetting practice.

http://www.ccentquestions.com/HPCCQmain.html

Has anyone worked through these questions? Are they a realistic example of what I should expect on the CCENT?

Compared to some other practice tests I've messed around with, those seem pretty simplistic. Go through the review questions ->here<- for some legit practice questions from Cisco. I did a lot worse on those than any other place.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

psydude posted:

Be careful here, because it looks like the answer is assuming this is the mid 90s and you can't use Subnet 0 or the all 1s subnet (or whatever it's called).

Today I learned that using a 0 network isn't something I should take for granted :psyduck:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Alctel posted:

I have the books for ICND1 100-101 CCENT/CCNA and ICND2 200-101 CCNA Routing and Switching

Are these exams changing?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1587143852/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1587143739/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

are the books i have

No. Right now you can take ICND1 as 640-822 or 100-101, and ICND2 as 640-816 or 200-101.

Starting October 1st, you can only take ICND1 as 100-101 and ICND2 as 200-101.

Long story short - 100-101/200-101 are staying, 640-822/640-816 are disappearing.

edit-- in other news I just scheduled my ICND1 for next Thursday and the first part of my MCSA (70-410) for the following Friday :ohdear: :negative: :ohdear: I felt so confident until I actually paid the money.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I swear, Prometric is the worst test scheduling site. I've been trying for 3 drat days to schedule an exam, and it always errors out at a different part of the registration process.

edit-- I'll be damned, as soon as I bitch about it on the internet it finally works.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 5, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Alctel posted:

Ready to take my CCENT, went to book it for next week and the only test center that is on vancouver island is booked up until 5 weeks time

;_;

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

5 weeks is ridiculous, I guess I should start on INCD2 and hope that the INCD1 stuff doesn't fall out my head

That's a bummer.

I'd say sure, start ICND2 stuff for 4 weeks, but then during that last week, cram all the ICND1 stuff back in your head so it's still somewhat fresh.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Are there any Android apps for CCNA study? I've seen a couple crappy flashcard apps with wrong answers, but nothing useful yet.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I ran across this question in one of my CCENT prep books,

code:
Which of the following IP addresses fall into the CIDR block of 110.68.4.0/18? (Choose three.)
A. 110.68.8.32
B. 110.68.7.64
C. 110.67.6.255
D. 110.66.3.254
E. 110.65.5.128
F. 110.64.12.128
/18 = 255.255.192.0, so 110.68.4.0 would belong to the 110.68.0.0 network, which corresponds to the useable range of 110.68.0.1 - 110.68.63.254.

So... by my figurin', only A and B fit, but the answer guide says B, C & E. Am I looking at this wrong? Or is there a typo somewhere I'm not seeing?

Even if you look at it bitwise,

code:
/18           = 11111111 11111111 11|xxxxxx xxxxxxxx
110.68.4.0    = 01101110 01000100 00|000100 00000000
110.68.8.32   = 01101110 01000100 00|001000 00100000
110.68.7.64   = 01101110 01000100 00|000111 01000000
110.67.6.255  = 01101110 01000011 00|000110 11111111
110.66.3.254  = 01101110 01000010 00|000011 11111110
110.65.5.128  = 01101110 01000001 00|000101 10000000
110.64.12.128 = 01101110 01000000 00|001100 10000000
...only the 110.68.x.x addresses fit the /18 mask for the original 110.68.4.0 address.

The answer key goes on to explain,

quote:

A Class A network address with a /18 is 255.255.192.0. ...
So far so good...

quote:

The subnets in the third octet are 0, 64, 128, 192.
Yep, I'm with you...

quote:

The network address in the question is 110.64.0.0, with a broadcast of 110.64.127.255, since the next subnet is 110.64.128.0. Answers B, C, and E are correct host IDs.
Wait what? How did we get 110.64.0.0? I thought the first 18 bits were unchangeable, why are we changing the second octet?

I'm confused.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The main job I'm hunting now is titled "Technical Support Analyst" at a local hospital. It sounds like a runner / "fix simple stuff i dont have time for" for a current senior level IT admin.

I guess though from one job to the next, the type of IT they expect you to do can be vastly different. All I can do is apply and hope.

Hey, my last job had basically that same title, and what you described WAS my main job function... but I also got sucked into web development, server administration, backup administration, cell phone administration, network administration, etc. It was great for my resume, but terrible for my soul. Getting paid $28k to be the main helpdesk/server/network/phone guy for an organization comprised of 200+ people is awful.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
T-minus 3 hours until my ICND1 exam. I've prepared as much as I can and am getting constant 85-90% on the practice tests (the rest is usually just dumb mistakes since I'm doing all my studying at work and not focusing).

Come what may, I suppose. This is my first "real" IT cert exam. I have ITIL Foundations, but that one was so laughably easy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Guess all my worry was unfounded.
925/1000 - CCENT: check.

Next Friday is Server 2012 MCSA part one, time to switch gears.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

CCENT? MCSA? Within a week of each other?

Can I just give you my resume right now in case you want to hire me in a year's time when you're running things?

I've been studying both for over a month now, it's not like I'm coming at it completely cold :)

Eh, I've got a gift for quick learning - plus the abundance of practice tests online and free lab training (GNS3, Server 2012 demo disc) helps too. And my deep burning desire for getting out of my local government helpdesk. 80 locations around the City that we support, and.......... there are 3 of us. :smithicide:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DropsySufferer posted:

What practice tests did you use? I'm at 750ish on scores last I tried a test. Still not ready.

I want the ICND1 done this month as well so I can finally stop constantly thinking whenever I try to relax that I should be working on the CCNA instead. Must get this done.

I've just followed lab simulations and I'm definitely learning that way. Is there a guide around you guys are using to build a lab? It would be worthwhile to do using packetracer or GNS3. The real equipment would be fun but I can't afford the luxury at the moment as it's not needed.

My total process (for both ICND1 & 2) is:

Lammle's book
Odom's book
TrainSignal videos
The two workbooks from http://www.ccnaguides.com/ ($20, but that's basically the only thing I had to pay for, everything else was paid for by work)
Free CCNA Workbook (http://www.freeccnaworkbook.com/)
CCENTQuestions (http://www.ccentquestions.com/HPCCQmain.html)
GNS3 / Cisco PacketTracer
A physical home lab (Routers: 2600, 1700 / Switches: 2900, 2950, 3500)

Between all that, I felt more than prepared for the ICND1, and I imagine I'll feel the same for the ICND2 :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Took 640-822 (CCENT) last week and passed with a 93%. Took 70-410 (Instl. & Cfg. Windows Server 2012) today and passed with a 94%. One left for CCNA and two left for MCSA.

Come at me cert exams :cool:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tasty Wheat posted:

To be honest, if a job was on fire, on the other side of the street, I would not walk over and piss on it for 40k

gently caress, working in local municipal government has broken me. I've been getting all excited because there's a Sr. Systems Admin job opening up soon and it starts around 48k :smith:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

psydude posted:

Depending upon where you live, 48k may be pretty good money.

True, but median salary for Server Admins here over the last two years is 76k. That's in the private sector, not government.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have the 640-816 tomorrow, and I'm more nervous for it than I was for the 822. :ohdear:

I think I'll be fine, it's just remember all the drat little nuances of OSPF, EIGRP, Frame Relay, and STP/RSTP.

edit-- Is the CCNP stuff changing as well in a couple months, or is that just the CCNA?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 19, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I started studying/cramming for the 640-816 ICND2 on Sunday and just walked out of it with a 960. :stare: :smug: :stare:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Make sure you know EIGRP, OSPF, access lists, VTP and STP inside and out.

Other than that, just more of the same really.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Why is it that creating a Juniper simulation lab is so hard? :(

I just want to test out the basics, and I have to go through hacking together my own drat FreeBSD box and after 2 hours it's still not working right.

Can't there just be something like GNS3 for Juniper? Sigh.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Martytoof posted:

Can you even use a switch image in GNS3? I haven't touched it in a while but last time I checked the ASICs in switches prevented you from that.

Nah you can't. That's the only shortcoming of GNS3. You can do Cisco routers, Juniper routers, Cisco ASAs, IP phones, this, that, the other thing, but... not switches.

Boson NetSim lets you do switches, as does Cisco Packet Tracer. NetSim is really nice, but kinda convoluted. Packet Tracer is really nice, but a bit limited (doesn't have anything other than 1xxx and 2xxx routers).

GNS3 is amazing when you figure out how to hook up GNS3 routers with real hardware switches. When you're got a home router hooked up to a home switch hooked up to a GNS3 network which is going through multiple routers, a Juniper thing here and there, an ASA, and some VMs running Unity software and software VoIP phones... man, that's livin'. :clint:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MrBigglesworth posted:

OK, so confused now, do I want GNS3 or GNS3 Workbench????

GNS3 Workbench is just a virtual machine image that runs GNS3 in a dedicated linux machine and comes with some labs and stuff to work on. I thought it was a little bit of a pain in the rear end to use compared to just plain old GNS3 on my computer, but to each their own.

VVV Truth fistbump, Marty. :hfive:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 26, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

moron posted:

Once I've achieved my CCNA (hopefully) in a couple of weeks, I was thinking about trying to work on a Linux certification.

I'm just looking at the scope of the RHCSA and it looks pretty straightforward. Am I massively underestimating it? FWIW I have precisely zero enterprise Linux experience, but have been a Linux user at home off-and-on now for years, and I'm perfectly comfortable at the command prompt, writing shell scripts, compiling from source etc.

Also, would I be able to use Fedora for studying, or is it going to contain material specific to RHEL?

I'd say that you should either use an evaluation version of RHEL or use CentOS. It's pretty straightforward and easy to get an evaluation copy of RHEL though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ozu posted:

CentOS. Or you can also use AWS Free tier if you need to have the RHEL badge.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

I'm admittedly not that familiar with AWS, but how does that help with RHEL?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

KetTarma posted:

Set up Amazon EC2 server with RHEL.

Connect
Learn

Free Tier:
750 hours of Amazon EC2 Linux/UNIX or RHEL† Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run continuously each month*

† The following Linux variants are not eligible for the free usage tier as a software license is required: SuSe Linux Enterprise Server..

Oh hot drat that's kinda cool

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
"Differentiate physical and virtual storage"

...seriously? How is that even an exam topic?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

You would be suprised how hard it is for some of the older IT folk to grasp that idea.

Not to mention that RDM's are still used in specific cases.

Reminds me of a scene from Zoolander.

"It's in the computer??"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I got my CCNA and half of my Server 2012 MCSA in 2 months, and my manager sends out an email saying, "everybody be sure to tell QPZIL good job."

My coworker just got her A+ after a year of studying, and both our manager and the director of IT sent out email saying what an inspiration she was and how she's bettering the entire department and how we can all learn from her hard work and determination, and how it's a grand achievement.

:smithicide:

Whatever, I've scheduled my last MCSA exam, and I'm already studying for the CCDA (which seems pretty straightforward) and the JNCIA (which will take like a week tops) and the ROUTE portion of the CCNP. I'll show them determination and grand achievements :getin:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

swampcow posted:

There are worse problems to have. You should be grateful that your management actually gives praise.

Not to sound bitter or anything.

That's fair. My post was just venting about something minor after a long week of a bunch of other lovely stuff here, so I'm probably just a little oversensitive at the moment :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Haydez posted:

I've had to explain to my boss what CCNP Security, CCNA Security and CCNA Routing and Switching are. Also Security+.

I even made this stupid graph to explain them to him one time.

:(

Mr. Haydez, I don't see Security+ anywhere on your graph... so is that more than a CCIE Wireless or does it rank just below CCNA Voice?
:manning:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm starting my ROUTE studying and I'm learning cool new commands that are going to save me a million years' worth of tediousness. "tclsh" is awesome :stare: I can write a script for my list of pings!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Virigoth posted:

Passed the old school ICND2 yesterday. Feels good to have the CCNA finished. I was talking to the secretary about the upcoming close date on the old test and she said that the testing center is getting slammed with requests. I feel sorry for the poor bastards who go in and fail the test with less than 5 business days until the test ends.

Way to go brother!

I'm doing some last minute cramming before I sit the Microsoft 70-411 in about 15 minutes. This one is being a bitch, all those damned GPO settings and ever-so-slightly-different cmdlets. I'm fine in the real world, but when you have a list of 4 registry keys that are all off by a few letters, I get tripped up.

Deep breaths and reading questions multiple times, that's going to get me through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Update, the 70-411 is a pain in the rear end, but I managed to squeak out with an 816.

Phew, I feel like a truck hit me I was so nervous about this one. Time to start reading for the 70-412!