Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Vendictus Prime posted:

Has anyone had any experience with Cisco's online training materials and how it compares to CBTNuggets for self study cert training?

I thought Netacad was alright, a bit dry but it got the point across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If you're in America, check your local community college. I did the equivalent of CCNA: the Associate's degree at mine and it was all around a pretty good experience - you get hands-on experience with actual equipment and most of these places have agreements with local employers for work study programs to help you get real world experience and training. At the end of it you have covered everything that is on the CCNA as well so you can go sit the exam if you like.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 15, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Packet Tracer (the free version anyways) doesn't support everything that is theoretically covered by the CCNA, and GNS3 is finicky enough that I wouldn't try to use it as my sole practice tool, but that's just me. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have simmed their way to passing.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Drunk Orc posted:

That's enough convincing for me to just find the stuff for cheap on eBay, thanks!

Do some shopping around (craigslist especially). Some dude('s wife) sold me a new in box 2960X-24PS-L for $120 (retails for 1900) just to get it out of their garage which was A-OK with me.

Now I can authentically recreate the audio from the flight deck scenes from Top Gun in my home office.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 3, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I've got 1841s and a 2950 racked at the moment, works fine for me. I bought my routers from Retroharware.com via Amazon, though, since I needed a couple that had SEC-K9.

Don't forget to get a serial cable and serial-usb adapter that doesn't suck.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ozu posted:

Oh gently caress you VMware. I'm sitting VCP550 by the end of the month.

I got the "you can enroll now" email from Stanly last month and my first question was "will this be updated for VSphere 6?" to which they replied "No, check back in the fall".

Made that decision easy!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Roargasm posted:

What's the best RHCSA book currently? I know Jang is supposed to be great but according to Amazon his RHEL7 book doesn't come out until November :ohdear: Worth waiting?

The old book doesn't cover some pretty major changes (new services syntax & systemd for example) so you might as well just wait, honestly.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Eonwe posted:

So basically you'll be taking classes. The "final exam" for a course is that you go to a testing center and take the exam. All books and test vouchers are included in tuition.

The more I read about WGU the more I like it. Does anyone here have any experience with the MS/MBA in IT Management programs? I've already got a bachelor's and two (soon to be three) associate's degrees in IT-related fields, so I'm thinking that WGU's bachelor programs would be mostly a waste of money in my case.

oaok posted:

Question.

Having no professional experience in the IT field and no degree, is it still possible to land a ENTRY job with a A+ cert only? I can't hold off any longer on getting a career rolling but I'm confused on where to get my foot in the door and get some work experience.

I can only speak from personal experience but I hire people with no professional IT experience or degree, but I do that hiring via the local community college's job board and really only consider such candidates if they're currently enrolled in an IT program. Also continued employment is conditional upon graduating at some point.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 29, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone here still doing courses at Stanly? If so, this might be of interest to you:

quote:

At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Wyoming.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If you're talking about the CCNA course they just added, there are several other community colleges in NC that offer the exact same program online.

I've no idea about he VMware course though, they kept telling me I'm able to register but I think I'm gonna put it off until they update for the latest version of vSphere.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I was looking around the NYC community/city colleges, but they only do it in the Bronx and Staten Island (I could honestly do any of the three other boroughs), and spread it across four $700 courses, AND require A+ as a prerequisite...so I'm a little stuck.

Look at community colleges throughout the state which may offer it online. Spend $200 on a home lab off of Craigslist and then there's really no reason at all to physically attend classes.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

If you get an IOS image for a router that supports a switch card, you can use that to gently caress with switch commands.

Alternatively you can go promode and hook your GNS3 setup to a physical switch :v:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

HPL posted:

gently caress print devices!

This made me laugh harder than it should have.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

psydude posted:

No, he turned down the kind of job that Makes someone for a job at a batshit crazy Israeli company that's paying him more, and which everyone here told him not to take.

To be fair with Dick Trauma missing and larchesdanrew in a new, apparently slightly less crazy gig, we need a new person with a terrible job to makes the rest of us feel better about our own poor decisions. KillHour may not have made the right choice for himself, but he made the right choice for us.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I don't think a CC certification program has helped anybody in IT. I looked into it originally as well, thinking it would be useful, and quickly realized it's 10 times more expensive than industry certs and 1/10 the value on a resume.

I have two community college degrees (not certifications, there's a difference) which are IT-related. They have helped me land jobs, argue for better salary/benefits, etc.

Also I only hire from the local CC for entry level roles. It at least assures me that the person that I'm interviewing can write semi-coherently and follow instructions. Way better than interviewing random people from Bruegger's or whatever who have decided to stop cutting bagels and get into IT by getting their A+ and spamming out resumes. It also means I know what material has been covered and roughly what their knowledge level is/ought to be, so helps me tailor interviews as well.

I could write a really long winded post about the community college aspect of IT education, but I'm well aware that our system (North Carolina) is actually pretty great and probably not the norm compared to most other states so it wouldn't really be applicable to most of the thread.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 16, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Jang's book covers both the RHCSA and RHCE. Can't speak to anything else as I've never taken any of the exams.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Depends very much what you mean by 'technical school'. For-profits like ITT Tech and University of Phoenix are mostly gigantic wastes of money but reasonably accredited community colleges (which could also often be called technical schools since they tend to provide degree programs in employment-related skills rather than liberal arts) can be a fantastic deal.

Edit: the confusion isn't helped by the whole technical vs vocational and regional vs national accredication malarky either.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 15, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Moey posted:

I also enjoy working right behind a rack of servers.

Apparently the answer is "put them in the server room where no one has to listen to them." How progressive and forward-thinking.

Edit: the more I look at that picture the more I hate it. ATX cases, rack of crack blowing directly at you, etc.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 27, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Check your local community college.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
You mean Red Hat's listed exam objectives for the RHCSA?

Jang's book also lays it out on pages xliii-xlviii in the introduction.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Also worth keeping in mind that often HR totally fucks uprevises job postings without consulting the hiring manager before actually making the posting public. A good example is the famous "bachelor's degree for no apparent reason" requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

TL;DR no more Frame Relay questions because who the gently caress uses Frame Relay still

I found a Frame Relay box mounted to the wall when we bought a company a few years ago. It hadn't been used in quite some time and AT&T seemed very confused when I called them up asking them to come take it, but if not for the old CCNA training materials I'd have never known what that box did.

All that said I'm very aware that I'm a member of probably a single digit minority of people who have found that section of the CCNA remotely useful.