Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just as a counter-point, my fiance moved from paralegal to BI/entry-level DBA fairly easily. She has decent computer knowledge, but I would have in no way categorized her as "IT". She started off assisting IT with a case management software rollout, acting as the liaison between the legal side and the tech side. They liked her so much they brought her in to do the training and admining for the case management software. From there it was an easy transition into BI reports. From there she was exposed to the DBA side of things. Now she is branching out to do BI/DBA for other apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Definitely PluralSight - I find that they're releasing videos which I'd consider more advanced. Whereas CBT Nuggets will give you a nice "this is what I need for my cert" video, so you can go search for like 70-412 and find something, you're going to find that 80% of the video is poo poo that everyone already knows. Oh wow that's a PTR record? Thanks I'm home free on my MCSE...

On the flipside, Pluralsight usually deals in specific topics rather than exams. Note the difference in some MSSQL lessons:

CBT Nuggets: 70-462 - Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases
CBT Nuggets: 70-463 - Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012
Pluralsight: Optimizing OLTP and Data Warehousing with SQL Server 2014
Pluralsight: SQL Server Optimizing Ad Hoc Statement Performance
Pluralsight: SQL Server Transactional Replication Fundamentals

For that reason, I like Pluralsight, because CBT Nuggets seems to assume no prior knowledge, whereas Pluralsight is closer to a deep dive.

I thought PluralSight was garbage. The videos and the exam materials for 70-410 were a loving joke. It did not even come close to preparing you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LionYeti posted:

Is there a cert for Azure AD and Microsoft Intune? My boss has given me the all clear on implementing it and finding training on it.

Start here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/modern-desktop/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wargames posted:

If they offer that as remote i would put in my own drat resume, 2-3x what i currently make.

In tech? Start looking and applying. You should be making more.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Keep trying, you'll get there. The field is rife with people who have no clue what they're doing, it can't be too hard to break in. :11tea:

If you don't have it already, might be a good idea to put some sort of portfolio together? Use some open source datasets to do some neat things. Maybe even contribute to some open source data projects?

Oh, and in case you're not already doing it, apply anyways. Apply to literally everything that sounds like you'd want to do, regardless of the experience they are asking in the job posting. That stuff doesn't mean anything. Don't get discouraged if you don't hear back, it's just a numbers game.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

unbutthurtable posted:

I don't know what Microsoft calls their server admin certs anymore, but it's probably something like MCSA or whatever.

Microsoft is doing some really interesting stuff in the endpoint space, at least in my opinion. Worth checking out their "Managing Modern Desktop" stuff if you've got your foot in the door and are looking for the next level, but trying to stay with something familiar.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/exams/md-101

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Actuarial Fables posted:

Completed the last course for my bachelor's degree at WGU today. Didn't think I'd ever graduate from a university, but here we are.

I still have a voucher for the CCSP exam so I'll be reviewing that material before I completely lose my study habits.

That's really awesome. You should be immensely proud of yourself. I never finished college and there's no way I'd try at this point, so I can only imagine how great that feels. Congrats.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lets Get Patchy posted:

Speaking of AWS, I'm coming from on prem infrastructure and private cloud. Started studying the AWS cert path to get with the times, and I'm super impressed with the overall flexibility with the infrastructure engineering/administration options. For those that work exclusively with Azure/AWS/GCP, is this all smoke and mirrors?

It's not effortless, but it sure as gently caress beats on prem. My current place and all their engineers are gung ho about on prem and it makes me miserable.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 12, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Like, I am in the middle of a project where the whole tech department is waiting on baited breath for me to prove that VDIs can perform well in the cloud. Not worried about data locality issues, not worried about cost. Literally not convinced that a VDI can perform as well in a public cloud as it can in vSphere.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm well aware of all that.:)

And yes, that's what I meant by data locality issues.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

navyjack posted:

Passed my Sec+ today. It was very hard and I was making GBS threads bricks the whole time, convinced i failed. Thank you Professor Messer and Jason Dion!!

Sweet! Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Devorum posted:

I've seen WGU, but was wary of it being just an online diploma mill scam. Good to hear people are actually succeeding with their degrees. I think they only offer classes to people stateside, though, and I'm currently overseas.

They're very well regarded in SH/SC, as far as I can tell.