Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Thoren posted:

So let's say I wanted to live in a few sets of t-shirts for a long time, rotating them every few days. Would synthetic be a better choice than wool? Point me to some products here, people. :unsmith:

wool, synthetic's main advantage is dry time while wool undoubtedly can go much longer without smelling like rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Thoren posted:

So let's say I wanted to live in a few sets of t-shirts for a long time, rotating them every few days. Would synthetic be a better choice than wool? Point me to some products here, people. :unsmith:

This is wool's ideal usage scenario, and a nightmare for synthetic.

Icebreaker makes really nice tees.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Not really hiking related question:

I generally travel with my pack as my only luggage, don't even own a proper suitcase. Does anyone have experience packing a suit in a backpack? Any tips?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

alnilam posted:

Does anyone have experience packing a suit in a backpack? Any tips?

Yes.

Don't.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you don't want to get it dry cleaned again where you are going, I can't see how you would possibly do that. Even a suitcase is a pain to keep things unwrinkled. I would pick up a garment bag. Something like this - http://www.amazon.com/WallyBags-Inch-Garment-Black-Size/dp/B000AB286S/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1429979349&sr=1-5

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

alnilam posted:

I generally travel with my pack as my only luggage, don't even own a proper suitcase. Does anyone have experience packing a suit in a backpack? Any tips?

You can try rolling it.

http://lifehacker.com/pack-your-suit-inside-out-and-rolled-to-prevent-wrinkle-1642035982

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Haas anyone been up to Estes PArk or Wild Basin in the last week, we decided to head up there for some hiking and a recent trail report would be nice to have, wondering if we need to rent snowshoes or micro spikes. .

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

alnilam posted:

The only thing I've found that works is to wear the suit on the airplane. With a bonus side effect of being treated better by airport staff and security.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Speleothing posted:

The only thing I've found that works is to wear the suit on the airplane. With a bonus side effect of being treated better by airport staff and security.
This is the only correct answer. Unless your suit isn't tailored correctly, in which case you will just look like a doof.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So I went out today for a stroll in the wonderful world of the Idaho backcountry. Started out gorgeous, if a little chilly.

Some snow from last night gave these rocks a nice dusting. It looked vibrant through my sunglasses, a little less to the actual eye.

The trail was hard to follow at times. Eventually it completely vanished and that's about when I headed back.

This didn't start until I was well on my way back. Didn't last too long either. I was actually hoping it would snow while I was out, it's a good feeling to just be outside in the snow. But gently caress, it got real cold.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Blinkman987 posted:

I've read that something people do when having a mental break due to cold/hypothermia is that they get naked. So, if they were in soaked clothing under certain weather conditions, that's actually correct and better than being in your soaked clothes?

In mild temperatures with heavy rain I will sometimes put as many of my clothes as socially acceptable into my waterproof pack. :feelsgood:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I need a packable waterproof shell, and the Marmot Precip is on sale for fifty bucks most of the time. Anyone have an opinion on it's suitability to keep my upper half dry? Is there a superior alternative that isn't shockingly more expensive?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Loucks posted:

I need a packable waterproof shell, and the Marmot Precip is on sale for fifty bucks most of the time. Anyone have an opinion on it's suitability to keep my upper half dry? Is there a superior alternative that isn't shockingly more expensive?

Most of the shells in that $90 to 125 price range are pretty similar, and the ones that usually retail for 50 are a lot worse. If it's one of the new precips, definitely get it. If it's the older fabric from three years ago, I'd still go for it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Serious question, why not just put tent, sleeping bag, and clothes in drybags? I use the same things for kayaking as backpacking. Don't care at all if the pack gets wet.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I put my sleeping bag in a dry bag for compression, and put everything that's dry inside my pack in a trash compactor bag. The pack itself gets soaked but all my clothes stay dry. It works well and you don't have to bother with individual dry bags.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I put spare clothes and sleeping bag in dry bags. I don't bother with the tent, if it rains here it tends to drizzle for days so the tent's going to get and stay wet.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My pack opens from the top (like a traditional pack) or a full length u zipper in the front like luggage which makes it super easy to pack and organize. Compactor bags are great but would force me to only access contents from the top which gets annoying on a fully loaded trip. Instead I have a pack cover which does a great job keeping water out.

I like organization so I keep clothes and sleeping bag in dry bags. I look at both as critical items to keep dry. With a wet sleeping bag or clothes your trip could turn sour/dangerous quickly if the temps drop and you can't dry them. Just remember that not all "dry bags" actually keep water out. The cheapest are okay for organization of non essentials but I prefer the sea to summit for my sleeping bag where the build quality is higher and much more water repellant.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Speaking of drybags, what brand and/or type gets a goon recommendation? Preferably some sort of compression sack that is water proof, not just water repellent.

I currently use a sturdy trash bag to keep my compressed sleeping bag in, but the trash bag always has some air trapped inside so it's bulkier than it could be. For spare clothes I use various sizes of double-zipper Ikea zip loc bags, and they're a bitch to get all the air out but once you do they're kinda nice. Looking for a better solution.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I, too, have heard really good things about sea-to-summit dry bags. I haven't used them myself though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Sea to Summit is really good

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
That's what I use for my sleeping bag. No problems yet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Dry bags are heavy! Really though unless you're in a really wet area they're not really needed.

Don't need them for the occasional storm

Sea to summit event bags are nice though

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I live in Belgium, so I'm always in a really wet area. Ok that's a bit of a hyperbole, and I guess the UK is worse, but two to three days of practically unending rain is very common here between October and March.

I checked out the StS Event bag product page, looks ok but the waterproofness has me worried. They're marketed as 'the first valveless compressing drybag', so that would suggest that there are actual drybags (not just made from 10.000mm water column fabric, but from the thick rubbery material used for drybags) that can be compressed, with a watertight valve to let the air out. But I can't seem to find any on the internet.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

theroachman posted:

I live in Belgium, so I'm always in a really wet area. Ok that's a bit of a hyperbole, and I guess the UK is worse, but two to three days of practically unending rain is very common here between October and March.

I checked out the StS Event bag product page, looks ok but the waterproofness has me worried. They're marketed as 'the first valveless compressing drybag', so that would suggest that there are actual drybags (not just made from 10.000mm water column fabric, but from the thick rubbery material used for drybags) that can be compressed, with a watertight valve to let the air out. But I can't seem to find any on the internet.

E-Vent bags permit air to be forced out of the bags micro pores with a little effort in your part, but does a terribly poo poo job of letting air back in, and for all practical backpacking purposes prevents any water from getting in.

The bags are intuitive to use once your holding it. No different than any stuff out there already, just really well made.

Grabbing a trash compactor bag and a cheap sil nylon pack cover is cheaper and more flexible and when done right just as effective, if not more so, than a bunch of dry bags.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Yesterday I did something few ever attempt: I hiked in Rhode Island.

Some pictures from Tillinghast Pond Management Area:

Coney Cascade.

Tillinghast Pond.

Maple blossoms.

The pond again.

A fun day overall, especially at the pond itself, which was gorgeous in a low-key, low-elevation way. But the woods away from the pond, except for the occasional hemlock grove and pine plantation, were the same kind of scruffy oak junk you find everywhere on Long Island, so the back reaches of the loop were pretty boring for me.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Levitate posted:

Dry bags are heavy! Really though unless you're in a really wet area they're not really needed.

I assume you're referring to the really thick/heavy duty polyurethane bags typically seen in marine scenarios ... they make much lighter and thinner dry bags than those which don't weigh much more than a typical nylon stuff sack while being much more waterproof. Sea line and Sea to summit are two popular companies make dry bags in various sizes/weights.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I was joking a bit. Real 100% dry bags are markedly heavier but things like this:

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Ultra-Sil%26reg%3B+Dry+Sack&o1=0&o2=0&o3=281-22

Are light and as waterproof as you need unless you're going to be submerging your stuff or be spending literally days in the rain on end without sufficient waterproof pack cover or liner. I actually used one of those to hold water long enough to wash up in camp

I also have some of these which are more waterproof but really the benefit is being more compressible, but they weigh more (then again we're talking a few oz of weight probably...I also think the ones I have are a lot smaller than 6L)

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=eVent+Compression+Dry+Sack&o1=0&o2=0&o3=291-12

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for lightweight fishing gear for backpacking? I am not an experienced fishermen by any means, but I have often looked at bodies of water while camping and been like "you know, fishing right now would be pretty cool". Any good guides to get someone started?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Optimus Subprime posted:

Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for lightweight fishing gear for backpacking? I am not an experienced fishermen by any means, but I have often looked at bodies of water while camping and been like "you know, fishing right now would be pretty cool". Any good guides to get someone started?

This may sound like a joke, but is the pocket fisherman a legitimate consideration?

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Fisherman-Spin-Casting-Outfit/dp/B000HDKOHY

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Optimus Subprime posted:

Fly or spin casting?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Optimus Subprime posted:

My housemate and hiking buddy takes his fishing stuff backpacking all the time. You really don't need a special setup for backpacking, you just need to narrow it down to the essentials and not bring a huge-rear end tacklebox.

My friend has a pretty light pole that comes apart in the middle and he sticks that along the side of his pack. He has a little 6-compartment box that's maybe 4x6x2 inches where he keeps hooks and some lures, brings little baggies with fake bait or embalmed bait, and if he wants live bait he digs for worms or scours for crayfish. The whole setup can't weigh more than a pound and it doesn't take up much room. He uses this same setup whether he's fishing near our house or fishing in the backcountry, so it's quite sufficient. Other than that all you need is a pocket knife (which you probably bring anyway) and knowledge of how to gut and clean a fish. Oh, and a fishing license.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Is there any kind of advantage to those pump type water filters? I'm talking about the Katydyn and their ilk. They seemed like a more difficult to use solution compared to Sawyers and variations on that type of filter. Is there something basic and simple I'm missing?

I'm a Sawyer / Sawyer mini backup man myself, and just generally use the cleanest fresh water sources I can find and filter them even if they're straight spring water, or hand pump well water.

I've been thinking of adding a steripen UV thingy to my kit for when the water is extra sketchy. Currently I've got ClO2 (aquamira) tabs to fill that role but it seems steripen would be great for taking out any kind of viruses and other stuff if what they claim in their literature is true.

Sounds retarded but I've got a pretty suppressed immune system, long term, so I sort of need to be obsessive about it.

Anyone have words to say on the effectiveness of UV treatment versus Chlorine Dioxide (Aquamira) for maximum water sterilization? The water will already have been Sawyer filtered.. Not an every refill thing, only for use if I gotta turn super sketch water into drinking water.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I will never hike without a pump filter because of how many times I've been stuck with only a weak trickle or a crappy little puddle in a rock as my only water source. Having a pump saved my rear end in those cases. Even when I use iodine I still bring a pump filter for situations like that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I hate my steripen. It's a novelty item at this point.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah I don't like the idea of the steripen. I completely understand the technology but I don't like the fact you have to rely on batteries/electronics for it to operate. The other thing is that it doesn't help you filter out particles.

I would rather just carry a real filter (pump or gravity).

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

alnilam posted:

My housemate and hiking buddy takes his fishing stuff backpacking all the time. You really don't need a special setup for backpacking, you just need to narrow it down to the essentials and not bring a huge-rear end tacklebox.

My friend has a pretty light pole that comes apart in the middle and he sticks that along the side of his pack. He has a little 6-compartment box that's maybe 4x6x2 inches where he keeps hooks and some lures, brings little baggies with fake bait or embalmed bait, and if he wants live bait he digs for worms or scours for crayfish. The whole setup can't weigh more than a pound and it doesn't take up much room. He uses this same setup whether he's fishing near our house or fishing in the backcountry, so it's quite sufficient. Other than that all you need is a pocket knife (which you probably bring anyway) and knowledge of how to gut and clean a fish. Oh, and a fishing license.

I had the same question as this guy. This is good advice. I checked the fishing regs for the Smokeys and all you can use is something with a single hook, no treble hooks. That eliminates a lot of the bulk right there since most of my lures are treble. Other than my pole, everything else I would bring would fit in an envelope.

I've got a great lightweight spincaster, but it doesn't come apart in the middle.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think UV basically kills everything but you're at the mercy of an electronic gadget that could stop working or run out of batteries etc, and I think the water needs to be clear.

Aquamira also kills pretty much everything but you have to leave it for like 4 hours for tough things like crypto and also works better with clear water. The tabs are are classified as a purifier, which the drops are not (though McNett claims they work just as well, they just can't put on the packaging that they work as a water purifier)

https://mcnett.zendesk.com/entries/448256-Do-Aquamira-Water-Treatment-Drops-Remove-Viruses-and-Bacteria-

Both should kill viri

As alnilam hinted at pump filters can be handy in situations where it's hard to gather water from a pool or fill up a bottle before treating. Really depends on where you're at I think. I've just used Aquamira in the Grand Canyon and was able to fill bottle from the small streams and stuff there, but if you know collecting water is a hassle then a pump system might help. I don't think they work better in terms of what they filter.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
^^^^^^^^^
Edit, thanks. That makes sense. Now I see what he meant.

alnilam posted:

I will never hike without a pump filter because of how many times I've been stuck with only a weak trickle or a crappy little puddle in a rock as my only water source. Having a pump saved my rear end in those cases. Even when I use iodine I still bring a pump filter for situations like that.

Where do you hike? This season I'm sticking to the east and the southern half of the AT.. Also I guess I'm not understanding the advantage of a pump filter in those instances. I'm sure it's obvious and I'm just missing it but care to enlighten me?

Also thanks for the steripen input. Duly noted, will stick with chemistry as my co treatment.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 27, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Where do you hike? This season I'm sticking to the east and the southern half of the AT.. Also I guess I'm not understanding the advantage of a pump filter in those instances. I'm sure it's obvious and I'm just missing it but care to enlighten me?

Also thanks for the steripen input. Duly noted, will stick with chemistry as my co treatment.

When I was on the AT in north Carolina, half our water sources were murky mud puddles full of debris. We couldn't get much more than the lip of the bottle full of water and my steripen was useless for days. Only pumps could get at the water source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've been using the cut off bottom 3" of a plastic coke bottle to scoop in situations where you couldn't dunk your whole bottle into the stream. Kind of annoying but it works.