Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think that's Radagast you're picturing.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Senf posted:

Does anyone have a link? Sounds hilarious.

The thread starts here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ive had pretty good luck with some of the pants at Duluth Trading Company. I picked up some nylon/spandex cargo pants last year, and they're great. A bit warmer than I'd like for full blast summer heat, but any other time they do well.

I just got a pair of those last week. I really like 'em!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If hunters are shooting at noises in the brush, then lovely bluetooth speakers are safety devices.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jehde posted:

I'll report back if I remember to take mediocre pictures.

:toxx:

Don't forget to take mediocre pictures!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My wife and I were camping in Michigan, and we woke up to what sounded like people walking through our campsite. She was convinced they were; I tried to tell her that no, it was just some animals. Lo and behold, when we woke up, some very tiny raccoon prints were found on the garbage bag I had forgotten to deal with that night.

Bottom Liner posted:

We were camping on BLM land near Capitol Reef in Utah and woke to something pushing the side of the tent in and sniffing my wife's head. She screamed, I grabbed my headlamp and hit the car horn alarm. Heard big footsteps scurrying off, jumped out the tent and saw a huge cow hauling rear end. :lol:

:five:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hotel Kpro posted:

For almost four miles it was nothing but rocks and trees and maybe some grass or whatever low lying shrub was growing. And mosquitoes, holy gently caress there were a lot of mosquitoes. Finally I knew I was close

What is 26 LKS here, in the Direction box?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What's up, hikers? Did you do something you're proud of this year? Maybe you hiked a new trail or scaled a new peak. Get it burned into your rap sheet forever by posting in the 2021 Achievement Sixxer thread!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

liz posted:

Same same same. I was down in the Smokies a couple weeks ago and did an 8-10 mile day hike and it was that happiest I’ve felt in awhile… A solid day of hiking is such a natural high. I don’t know why I live in a major city and am considering moving somewhere I could easily hike on a regular basis. Anyone ever move to be closer to nature? I’m partial to the west coast and got spoiled by the Sierras but I’d love to see the Cascades as well…

sincerely,
an unhappy city dweller

This is me. I've been in Chicago / New York for the last 9 years, and I am so excited to be moving to Seattle. I can actually see trees from my new place!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

liz posted:

Please tell me how you did it lol I’m also in Chicago and know that I need more nature to be actually happy, but figuring out an entire life change is… a lot.

Man, you’re going to be surrounded by so much…Cascades, Olympic, Rainier! The PNW is like a playground to me. Enjoy!

If you want to do what I did, marry a doctor*. We did medical school in Chicago, residency in NYC, and now fellowship in Seattle. I'm going to do my best to convince her we want to stay in the PNW long term, but it depends on if she likes it and where she lands a job after fellowship.

* This may not be actionable advice, and there are many downsides inherent to being married to a doctor

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

alnilam posted:

Yeah, the residency match system and the inability to say no thanks to a program once matched, is fun and great :shepface:

e: don't want to forget how nice it is to be left alone with a 6 month old baby for 2 months because the program has a required away rotation

We got so lucky and my wife got her first choice for both residency and fellowship, and we put baby-having on hold until the end of residency. It's still a rough lifestyle, absolutely.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Verman posted:

When do you move?

I hope you're able to make the drive out because if you haven't been through that part of the country before, its cool to see. Substitute stopping at yellowstone and instead go to glacier or tetons.

Monday!

I wish I could make a proper road trip out of it, but my wife is flying over with our four month old and I'm following in the car with our cats. I hate the idea of leaving them in the car for any period of time, even if the weather is agreeable. I might stop at Theodore Roosevelt NP for some photos.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Christ almighty leash your goddam dogs and stop this idiotic slapfight.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I am so looking forward to this. I need an adventure. Nothing life risking, but just something that is not done by a lot of people.

"I don’t want to die, but I also don’t want to be sure that I’m going to live."
- Ali Wong

Sounds dope! Have fun!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm worried you underestimate 100F, but, you know, you do you, be safe and carry a shitload of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

That looks amazing!

Yeah I've been out in 100+ a few times and 95+ many many times so I'm pretty good at staying inside my limits.

Okay, cool, thank you. Your last post taken out of context was setting off "Death Valley Germans" warnings in my head.