Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Ihmemies posted:

Ok so we went to an overnight hike with a couple of friends. Some lessons learned:

- Silnylon stretches when wet, so you need to retighten the pitch... time to reguy the tent with lineloks. Moving the stakes around is crazy business.

This is from a couple pages ago and I'm still not caught up to the thread, so I'm not sure if this has been commented.

Have you considered trying to make self-tightening guy lines for your set up? It basically involves using shock cord to take up the slack that comes overnight as the silnylon stretches. There's a really good guide with pictures on hammockforums.net here:

https://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/3731-Techniques-For-Make-Your-Own-Shock-Cord-Tarp-Tensioners?highlight=shock+cord+tensioner

This is what I plan to do for all my guy lines when my awesome new hammock tarp gets here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Guest2553, which straps and underquilt are you using, out of interest? I suppose I'd still need a sleeping bag, couldn't get away with an underquilt and a top quilt?

Not sure what the other guy uses but I use nylon straps with whoopie slings from dutchware. The nylon straps go around the tree, then I tie a marlin spike with a titanium toggle and loop the whoopie slings over that. It's light, versatile and not to mention fun to set up if you enjoy being baller and tying a simple knot!

Dutchware has a few different options on his site, but there are plenty of other stores that sell similar stuff. That said you can make your own pretty easily if you're crafty and patient (I opted to buy because I was impatient).

I think my suspension weighs like 100g or something g stupid. My whole hammock, tarp, suspension, guy lines, etc weight right around 900g iirc.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Yea it's mainly weight! The set up involves more parts, but it's just as quick to hang once you get used to it. It's really the same amount of "stuff", one strap for each tree and I leave the whoopie slings attached to the hammock. Sometimes I hook the whoopie slings over the toggle and sometimes I hook the continuous loops on the hammock and bypass the whoopie depending on the hang.

I used the atlas straps myself when I was starting out and they're awesome. Very easy to set up and adjust. If you don't mind the extra weight they're absolutely fine. You can even use them with a toggle if you wanna shave off the weight of biners! :science:

The main reason I switched was weight. Also my new system is slightly more compact, and it has the potential to reach a much wider spread or go around huge rocks/trees much easier than the atlas straps. Not essential, but nice to be able to.

Both systems work fine, and no matter what you choose it's sure as hell gonna beat sleeping on the ground!

Edit: also re sleeping
A sleeping pad and sleeping bag work just fine in a hammock. It also has the benefit of giving you the option to go to ground if you cant find a suitable hang and sleep under your tarp (especially if you have treking poles to sting up the tarp with). I have no idea how thoroughly you're gonna plan put your 4+ month trip, but having a back up option can't hurt! Just something to consider.

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 11, 2016

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Oh! You should learn about drip lines if you haven't already, they'll keep you dry if you do them right. Atlas straps can work as their own drip lines if you hang em right, but redundancy is king. Haven't had a chance to test my new suspension in heavy downpour yet but the whoopie slings allegedly work as their own drip lines afaik.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Hey, thanks for all that great advice!

I am intrigued by your set up. I was looking at Dutchware, at the Whoopie hook suspension system. Which options would you recommend? There's a baffling amount of choice: what size and material straps? Whoopie sling or whoopie continuous? Do you need head AND foot? 7/64 or 1/8? What does that even mean? Do I need a dutch clip? Can you murder me?

I wasn't really too hip on the whoopie hook system, so I have whoopie slings that I looped straight onto the continuous loops at the end of the hammock with a larks head. I went for bare bones nylon straps too, cause the cinch buckles seemed unnecessary. I enjoy tying knots though, so the marlin spike thing is right up my alley. I do use the Dutch clips when I loop around the tree. You can use the clip for good momentum when you whip the strap around the tree and it makes adding an extra loop or two around the tree much easier than if you thread the strap through the loop on the end. It's not necessary, just convenient.

The 1/8 and 7/64 refer to the thickness (in inches) of the amsteel blue rope the slings are made from. They have slightly different max weight tolerances, but they're so strong it's not really much of an issue. You need head and foot because you need one suspension for either side of the hammock.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

It may not matter which order you do them in, but personally I'd do sunblock first and bugspray outside that to be sure that the sunblock got applied properly.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

When I was still doing really ridiculous ultralight

What constitutes ridiculously ultralight for you? Why did you stop, and what do you do now?

No particular reason for these questions, I'm just curious! :)

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

That's really neat. My stuff is gradually getting lighter, mostly through upgrading older cheaper gear with fancy new stuff. I don't really have a goal base weight though, most of my motivation for going lighter is to enjoy the trip more (also to bring more booze). I love dorking out about weights and cool gear and stuff, but I doubt I'll ever end up in the super ultralight range.

Eventually when camping with the family I'll be glad my gear is as light as possible though, so I don't break my back when I inevitably carry all their stuff. :v:

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Have you considered using a continuous ridgeline on your tarp with some sort of hardware like the tarp flyz from dutchware? I haven't timed myself but I for sure don't spend 20 minutes setting up my tarp. The continuous ridgeline option makes it pretty easy to adjust where your tarp is between the trees before you tighten it all the way.

The guy who wrote the ultimate guide to hammock camping or (whatever it's called) has a pretty good video which explains it probably way better than I can.

Ninja edit: here it is
https://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/video-using-continuous-ridge-lines-with-a-tarp/

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

My tarp was huge, much bigger than the one in the Ultimate Hang video. It had its own tie outs for trees, then the 4 guidelines. It wasn't quite 10 minutes to set up but much longer than the one that comes with the hammock (that's attached to it so you only need to stake the 2 tie outs).

My tarp is a fairly large one too. It's a tarp designed for winter use so it has 2 guy lines on either side and 4 guy lines total for the door flaps. Still find the continuous ridgeline method super convenient since you can adjust the lateral hang between the trees without having to go back and forth between either of the guy lines from the ridgeline.

I'm sure you got loads of practice hanging your tarp over the course of 500 miles! Some tarps are a bit fiddly. I used two separate guy lines on the giant tarp I had before this one and it was an absolute pain in the rear end. So I tried the other way with a continuous ridgeline and it was so much smoother. I'd definitely recommend at least giving it a shot, maybe it makes hanging yours less of a chore. :)

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

I vary between side sleeping and back sleeping and curling up into a ball depending on how I feel in a hammock, and all that seems to work fine with a bit of slack and sleeping at an angle in the hammock (bringing a bunch of whiskey will help too :v: ).

Seconding Shug's videos, the guy has a bunch of useful tutorials and videos!

I have a tube of mosquito netting with a zipper on the side that slides over the whole set up. I use a fixed ridgeline on my hammock that the netting rests on. It's not much of a hassle to get in and out, but I feel like it is a bit heavier than it needs to be at about 320 grams. My friend recently sewed his own with some mesh stuff he got online. He said it was a pretty simple project and he had little to no experience before making it, so that's worth looking into if you enjoy that sort of thing!

Edit:
Regarding slack, I've read a few places saying that a ridgeline that's 83% of the hammock length is the "golden ratio". I tried that myself but found that to be a bit too saggy for my tasted and think I ended up with a fixed ridgeline that was a touch over 90% after some trial and error.

I used the same amsteel rope they make whoopie slings out of and made spliced loops on either end of the rope once I got the length dialed down, then looped that rope onto each of the continuous loops on either side of the hammock. Makes getting the sag right a lot easier when you have a fixed ridgeline.

(Wow that turned out to be a lot of words about hammocks, but hammocks own bonez so it's hard to contain my passion!)

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 11, 2017

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I know about the 30 degree rule, but I swear my Hennessy was more comfortable when it was hung much tighter. Maybe something to do with the integrated ridgeline?

I loved the bug net on mine. Never got bit once. The Kickass under quilt was like magic, I'm glad I didn't use a pad/emergency blanket like on the Hennessy website.

To get the right hang I find I have to make it much tighter before I get in too. Like maybe 10-15 ish degrees to end up at 30 with weight? The ridgeline makes it easier to eyeball, but it's also super convenient to hang crap off of. Threw together a mesh bag that hangs above my head for my phone/kindle/stuff. I hang my headlamp off it too for late night reading.

I have a kickass underquilt I'm super happy with as well! They make some nice stuff at reasonable prices. I'm gonna make the transition to one of their topquilts soon, mummy sleeping bags are an absolute pain in the rear end to get into sometimes.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

huhu posted:

As far as sleeping, I've got a hammock and sleeping bag. I was planning to get a tarp to keep me dry and a pad to keep me a bit warmer. Is there a better way to stay warm?

Sleeping bag and pad is fine, especially if you want to test hammock camping before going all in. I used those for a few months before I got an underquilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Maybe there's a difference in the tip and the flared base (no idea what it's actually called) that make them better suited for snow? Trail poles don't usually have that round snow "cup" on the bottom, for lack of a better word, like ski poles do.