Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonNCO
Feb 22, 2015
Out of the blue here, but I'm going on a 800 mile hike for the Shikoku Pilgrimage in Japan over two months and was wondering about the issue that's always kicked my rear end to some degree; chafing.

In the past what's worked for me is just slathering bodyglide over thighs, rear end, strap contact area, etc. I was just wondering if there was a less smelly alternative that has worked for everyone else. Also, looking to buy a civilian with comfy straps for 25 miles/day pace, wondering if anyone knew of any really good ones. I was thinking of a tarp for shelter, 550 cord, a few bungees, and maybe a really light sleeping bag.

Here's my packing list so far:

550 Cord
Tarp for shelter
Bungees
Light sleeping bag
Couple lighters
Goretex top-bottom for rain
Compass
Phone
Rape Whistle
Bright fabric for emergency
GPS
iodine tabs for emergency
Extra set of boots (wondering if anyone knows a good non-military boot, I was used to using nike SF and standard issue boots, which were terrible)
Six pair of socks (in the past I used fox rivers, decently satisfied with them)
2-Quarts Water
And the assorted pilgrimage stuff that they give you

Any thoughts on this? It's kind of a strange path, sometime it's pretty isolated for tens of miles, but then there are quite a few towns/temples along the way. It's the least populated of the major islands, so it isn't like there's a huge city every two feet either. I'm trying to keep the weight fairly low in order to keep my target distance of 25m a day, so cutting out food/cooking stuff/tons of heavy poo poo in general was important to me and there seems to be enough civilization that I can eat along the way.

NonNCO fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonNCO
Feb 22, 2015

Scottw330 posted:

Yeah, boiling a liter of water for freeze dried meals or cooking some pasta, nothing fancy.

I usually dont like eating or cooking anywhere near a tent because I dont want to spill food and attract bears, but I'm definitely tempted if it is raining.

The ants in North Carolina were always worse than the big wildlife. You'd be convinced that you'd cleaned it all up perfectly and they'd still find something to swarm over. We always would end up having to eat a significant distance from our campsite.

NonNCO fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 8, 2015

NonNCO
Feb 22, 2015

Saint Fu posted:

I've never had chafing issues, not sure if it's due to the underwear I wear or not, but they seem quite popular. Might give a pair of these a try: Exofficio boxer briefs.

What's your laundry situation going to be? 6 pairs of socks is overkill if you get nice wool socks (smartwool, darn tough, etc).

Here's my list for the 300 miles I did last summer. Once you're over about 50 miles, 300 might as well be 3000 when it comes to gear. You obviously won't need a bear canister so that'd drop >2 lbs off your pack weight.

Where are you located and what's your budget?

Thanks, I'll check out of the briefs. That's been the only thing that's held me back, and I agree, six pairs might be overkill if I'm able to do laundry. Also, that's a great list and I appreciate you linking it.

Levitate posted:

Yes but it depends on the terrain and fitness of the person. 20 miles per day is usually a long day for a lot of people who aren't just doing straight up fast packing

It's probably a bit ambitious over 800 miles unless you're used to that pace already and planned around it

It's possible that it might be a bit of a tall order, but I've done similar distance per day, although that was only for 150 miles over the course of a week. It's just something that I'm trying to see if I can do, and it hits quite a few really old temples; it beats finding another place to live over the summer and paying rent.

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm definitely not a legit backpacker / hiker, but 25 miles per day sounds like am insane pace. Do people really hike at that?

Some of the hikes I've been on were really just weighted runs; we'd do 12 miles over hills in 2 hours + or - a few minutes, dry weight 45 pounds with 4 quarts of water. Granted, they were runs. Actually, at a 3 mph pace with 20 lbs, 25 miles is definitely doable. The biggest issue I'd run into in the past was chafing, and bodyglide took care of almost all of that. The only downside is that it stinks and I'm not sure if I want to carry two months worth of it.

NonNCO fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 8, 2015

NonNCO
Feb 22, 2015

Thanks, I'm going to bring some along.

NonNCO
Feb 22, 2015

Keldoclock posted:

I prefer Arc'Teryx for their lifetime warranty, since I have gotten really good at destroying gear.

Does Patagonia do similar?

Why bring boots at all? Looking at some other pilgrims
The whole thing seems like you are never more than a days walk from civilization. You could probably ditch almost all of your gear and just run the 800 miles with only a water bottle and a rain jacket in your pack. That might not fit with the philosophy of the pilgrimage of course.

I think you are right, you will be OK for food, just visit a grocery store before leaving town when you get to a town and buy some fruit and a bento box or some onigiri or a sandwich .

You should take a carbon fiber walking stick though. BD Distance Z-pole is the best for you, but you might also be able to make a GG rigid pole work. It would be about half the weight of the bamboo stick.

I did this a few months ago. Mt Hood's Timberline Trail in a weekend. Would have done it in a day if I hadn't gotten sunstroke. Since I did I just stopped at like 4pm halfway through and took a nap, got up at 10:30 PM, cooked up some oatmeal and coffee, and kept right on walking. Wasted like an hour trying to cross a river at night, then wasted 2 more getting stuck in a canyon, but I made it back to the parking lot around sundown on Sunday.

25mi/day or 30mi/day is not much trouble if you walk all day and have a backpack around 15 pounds/7kg. (and of course, you are fit, not necessarily a marathon runner, but fit)

A challenging pace is 40mi/day. That requires you to get your BPW under 2KG/ 4 pounds and then maintain a very brisk walk or slow jog all day. You should have a pretty good aerobic fitness before doing that, it really helps to run a marathon. At this point you have joined the fastpacking club and probably brag about it a lot.

A crazy pace is the unsupported ultramarathoners. These people are genuinely nuts, I am pretty sure if I trained for this and managed it I still wouldn't want to do it again. On the plus side when you go that fast you don't need much gear. Oh its 12PM, time to sleep. That rock looks pretty comfy. *crinkles out emergency blanket*

I see where you're coming from, and I agree (and thank you) for many of your points about gear, but I want to spend some time outside, and that's the reason for the tarp and sleeping bag. I've had enough experience with ants to learn to love and respect the fartsack, but otherwise I really appreciate your gear tips. I'm also not sure if the women in the picture are truly making the pilgrimage by foot, if only because the majority of Shikoku pilgrims take buses of all things these days.