Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

NonNCO posted:

Out of the blue here, but I'm going on a 800 mile hike for the Shikoku Pilgrimage in Japan over two months and was wondering about the issue that's always kicked my rear end to some degree; chafing.

Here's my packing list so far:

Extra set of boots (wondering if anyone knows a good non-military boot, I was used to using nike SF and standard issue boots, which were terrible)
Six pair of socks (in the past I used fox rivers, decently satisfied with them)

As others have mentioned Gold Bond, Monkey Butt, Bodyglide, etc are all good products and will help. I've also had good luck wearing light weight compression clothing like boxers can help a great deal.
What are the conditions you are hiking in? Why do you need a whole second pair of boots? Just because of the length of the hike you think the first pair will wear out? As far as boot recommendations we've already had the great trail runner, hiking boot debate. Go with trail runners if you place a greater emphasis on quick drying, light weight shoes or the boots if you're carrying heavy loads over rough terrain and dont need the quick drying as much. As far as socks I've used Fox River in the past and they are good but I recently started buying some Thorlo's after being recommended them by a friend and holy poo poo are they nice! They're like the Cadillacs of socks. Good performance and amazingly comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Keldoclock posted:

Wear the bright yellow jacket anyways. Who gives a gently caress! I don't know about you but my dignity is surely worth less than $200.

EDIT: Be the cretin only you can be

It was $40 vs $100 but you're right I've been known to sell my dignity for less than $60 :bigtran:

I actually went with the black one because the houdini's paper loving thin and I wanted to be able to take advantage of REI's return policy (cats)

I'm slowly becoming this guy but at least I'm in Seattle so there's usually at least a few of us standing in the corner.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I would imagine there is a big difference between 25 miles a day on flat ground in pleaseant 60 degree temps, and 25 miles a day with serious elevation gains, on rough footing, in 95 degree heat. As others have mentioned, 3 mph seems to be the real limit for day in, day out speed - you go farther by hiking longer, not faster.

I beat swamp rear end/monkey butt/sweaty crotch with a combination of gold bond powder and tight fitting Underarmor Boxerjock style briefs. Gold Bond keeps you dry and Boxerjocks replace the majority of the skin to skin contact areas with the smooth material of the underwear.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
wonder how much swamp rear end 25mi a day dude gonna have

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I looked into tents about a year or two ago, and promptly forgot everything. I'd appreciate any suggestions on good tents for the following:

rare overnight camping in back country (maybe 5-10k hikes in)
More likely for sleeping in on motorcycle trips, car camping.
1 person comfortably, 2 person squeeze sized. I'm 6', so a bit longer of a tent would be nice.
budget in the 200-300 range, but I'm flexible.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Golluk posted:

I looked into tents about a year or two ago, and promptly forgot everything. I'd appreciate any suggestions on good tents for the following:

rare overnight camping in back country (maybe 5-10k hikes in)
More likely for sleeping in on motorcycle trips, car camping.
1 person comfortably, 2 person squeeze sized. I'm 6', so a bit longer of a tent would be nice.
budget in the 200-300 range, but I'm flexible.

Are you strapping it to the back, or do you need to fit it in a hardcase? If it's a hardcase, take it to REI and see what actually fits in it. I'd highly recommend a 2 person tent, because motorcycle gear takes up a lot of room. Go with something freestanding and relatively inexpensive, like the REI Halfdome. Weight is less of a concern than bulk if you're not backpacking often with it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Get a hammock :getin:

Or one of the REI (Halfdome?) 2 person tents

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Discomancer posted:

Are you strapping it to the back, or do you need to fit it in a hardcase? If it's a hardcase, take it to REI and see what actually fits in it. I'd highly recommend a 2 person tent, because motorcycle gear takes up a lot of room. Go with something freestanding and relatively inexpensive, like the REI Halfdome. Weight is less of a concern than bulk if you're not backpacking often with it.

I'd be strapping it. I ride a CBR650F with soft luggage at the moment. I live in Canada, so MEC and SAIL would be the equivalents to REI.

I was thinking of something along these lines.
http://www.mec.ca/product/5027-697/...130+50818+50858

http://www.mec.ca/product/5039-941/...130+50818+50858

http://www.mec.ca/product/5027-694/...130+50818+50858

http://www.sail.ca/en/camping/tents/marmot-tungsten-2-126251

http://www.sail.ca/en/camping/tents/eureka-midori-167577

I believe I was thinking of getting this one last time I checked into tents.
http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

Golluk fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 9, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Tried on the Houdini today. I was impressed, but also worried that I'd tear the thing within a month. The sleeves are fine, wish they were a half inch longer. I wish the body was an inch longer. I really liked it otherwise and may still buy it. My local place seems to clearance them out at $49 when the seasons change.

Being long in the legs is about 1 million times easier than being long in the torso and arms.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(

Blinkman987 posted:

Tried on the Houdini today. I was impressed, but also worried that I'd tear the thing within a month. The sleeves are fine, wish they were a half inch longer. I wish the body was an inch longer. I really liked it otherwise and may still buy it. My local place seems to clearance them out at $49 when the seasons change.

Being long in the legs is about 1 million times easier than being long in the torso and arms.

I would not worry about the durability of the Houdini. I wore it for about 90 days last summer for probably 2-3 hours a day with no washes inbetween and it's still going strong. It's the most durable windshirt that I've seen.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Blinkman987 posted:

I thought the same thing but it's shockingly durable, I wore mine pretty much every day last winter, including bushwhacking a few times for volunteer trail building, and it still looks brand spanking new.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
I prefer Arc'Teryx for their lifetime warranty, since I have gotten really good at destroying gear.

Does Patagonia do similar?

NonNCO posted:

cutting out food/cooking stuff/tons of heavy poo poo in general was important to me and there seems to be enough civilization that I can eat along the way.

550 Cord - Replace with Spectra

Tarp for shelter - go for a silny or cuben tarp 8'x10' or smaller

Bungees - leave them at home

Light sleeping bag - consider a quilt

Goretex top-bottom for rain - lose the bottoms, get rain chaps or a kilt and consider a nonbreathable but vented rain shell instead

Rape Whistle - Leave it at home, there is one on your backpack sternum strap

Bright fabric for emergency - just buy a bright colored tarp instead

GPS - consider using only your phone, if your phone is reliable and has a good GPS app

iodine tabs for emergency - replace with Aqua Mira drops

Extra set of boots - Jesus why would you take 2 pairs of boots. If your boots fall apart along the way super glue that poo poo and buy a pair of shoes in town

wondering if anyone knows a good non-military boot, I was used to using nike SF and standard issue boots, which were terrible

aye

Six pair of socks (in the past I used fox rivers, decently satisfied with them) - Consider bringing just 3

2-Quarts Water - Use aquamira or a Sawyer Mini to purify water and then just only carry as much as you need at a time; if you are walking by and theres a stream crossing the trail every quarter mile (hello PNW) just carry like half a liter of water, if you are in the desert then fill up. Also consider using soft bottles instead of canteens or nalgenes.

And the assorted pilgrimage stuff that they give you

Why bring boots at all? Looking at some other pilgrims
The whole thing seems like you are never more than a days walk from civilization. You could probably ditch almost all of your gear and just run the 800 miles with only a water bottle and a rain jacket in your pack. That might not fit with the philosophy of the pilgrimage of course.

I think you are right, you will be OK for food, just visit a grocery store before leaving town when you get to a town and buy some fruit and a bento box or some onigiri or a sandwich .

You should take a carbon fiber walking stick though. BD Distance Z-pole is the best for you, but you might also be able to make a GG rigid pole work. It would be about half the weight of the bamboo stick.

cheese posted:

25 miles a day with serious elevation gains, on rough footing, in 95 degree heat

I did this a few months ago. Mt Hood's Timberline Trail in a weekend. Would have done it in a day if I hadn't gotten sunstroke. Since I did I just stopped at like 4pm halfway through and took a nap, got up at 10:30 PM, cooked up some oatmeal and coffee, and kept right on walking. Wasted like an hour trying to cross a river at night, then wasted 2 more getting stuck in a canyon, but I made it back to the parking lot around sundown on Sunday.

25mi/day or 30mi/day is not much trouble if you walk all day and have a backpack around 15 pounds/7kg. (and of course, you are fit, not necessarily a marathon runner, but fit)

A challenging pace is 40mi/day. That requires you to get your BPW under 2KG/ 4 pounds and then maintain a very brisk walk or slow jog all day. You should have a pretty good aerobic fitness before doing that, it really helps to run a marathon. At this point you have joined the fastpacking club and probably brag about it a lot.

A crazy pace is the unsupported ultramarathoners. These people are genuinely nuts, I am pretty sure if I trained for this and managed it I still wouldn't want to do it again. On the plus side when you go that fast you don't need much gear. Oh its 12PM, time to sleep. That rock looks pretty comfy. *crinkles out emergency blanket*

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Keldoclock posted:

Oh its 12PM, time to sleep. That rock looks pretty comfy. *crinkles out emergency blanket*
Hahahaha what a way to spend your weekends.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

evil_bunnY posted:

I saw some people do just that on the John Muir Trail. It's really not my kind of thing but I guess they're doing something they enjoy

On our way up Forester Pass we ran into a guy who was trying to set the unsupported speed record on the JMT and he talked to us for a bit. Didn't know it was him at the time until we got back. He Had just finished hiking the PCT and decided while on it to do the speed record, so he went back and did a northbound attempt and did it in 3.5 days. I think he lived in power bar type things and just napped when he got tired

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
This Saturday's pics - looking down on the still-smoking lava dome of Mt. Saint Helens (Mt. Rainier in the background) and a summit pano.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Anyone have any of the Uniqlo airism stuff? I realized that since tossing a bunch of clothes last fall, I only have one poly shirt that's appropriate for summer heat, and for the price I couldn't say no. I'm mainly wondering how breathable the non-mesh airism shirts are since I got a few of both. Are they pretty breathable and suitable for high activity stuff? Or should I plan on the non-mesh airism stuff just being casual wear?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Anyone have any of the Uniqlo airism stuff? I realized that since tossing a bunch of clothes last fall, I only have one poly shirt that's appropriate for summer heat, and for the price I couldn't say no. I'm mainly wondering how breathable the non-mesh airism shirts are since I got a few of both. Are they pretty breathable and suitable for high activity stuff? Or should I plan on the non-mesh airism stuff just being casual wear?

At the start of the summer I switched out all my cotton undershirts for airsim stuff. It has been great so far and feels cool even when I am sweating up a storm. They do get a bit of a stink about them after a day or so of wear but I wore one last week for like 4 days of fishing and by the end it was still not too bad and a quick rinse under a hose had it back to normal.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
A buddy and I did a 10 mile lollipop in southern Harriman State Park (NY) yesterday.

A house-size boulder (Ga-Nus-Quah) above Pine Meadow Brook.

Pine Meadow Lake in the fog.

Even boring oak woods are pretty in spring.

This outing was my first time hiking through recent burns.

The view from the Egg. ("The View from the Egg" sounds like a classic psych rock album.)

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I bought a bunch of panties and undershirts to wear at work (commercial kitchen) and love them. They've definitely spread into my regular outdoors wear and it's now the only underwear I'll buy.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Talked to a backpacking friend about my shoulder/hip pain who suggested underinflating my NeoAir X Therm sleeping pad. Took a nap on it this afternoon with it underinflated and I had a lot less pain. I'll be sleeping on it Monday night to try that out. if not, this Ultralight Cot seems to be a really popular choice for people who can't ever get comfortable on inflatable pads. Anyone heard of it/tried it?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

cheese posted:

Talked to a backpacking friend about my shoulder/hip pain who suggested underinflating my NeoAir X Therm sleeping pad. Took a nap on it this afternoon with it underinflated and I had a lot less pain. I'll be sleeping on it Monday night to try that out. if not, this Ultralight Cot seems to be a really popular choice for people who can't ever get comfortable on inflatable pads. Anyone heard of it/tried it?

I think at that point you might be better served looking into a hammock. I'm a stomach/side sleeper, and upgrading to a hammock is the best move I've ever made. Really though, anything that helps you sleep better is money well spent in my book.

Only other thought with that cot is that you're still gonna want to bring your pad for bottom insulation.

Question about Bear Canisters--I don't necessarily need one for most of the hiking I do, but I'd really like to get one (mainly so my food doesn't get squished, plus it makes a free camp chair). Raccoon/mouse proofing is another compelling reason for to upgrade.

Is the Bear Vault still the best value proposition? Or is bearikade worth the extra two hundred odd bucks?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

evil_bunnY posted:

The two times I've gone up a summit here at night, I've had a nap on top at like 9 am. I use my daypack as a pillow, lay out on the flattest spot I can find, and put my shell over my head to block light. Anything is comfortable when you've been up scrambling all night.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think at that point you might be better served looking into a hammock. I'm a stomach/side sleeper, and upgrading to a hammock is the best move I've ever made. Really though, anything that helps you sleep better is money well spent in my book.

Only other thought with that cot is that you're still gonna want to bring your pad for bottom insulation.

Question about Bear Canisters--I don't necessarily need one for most of the hiking I do, but I'd really like to get one (mainly so my food doesn't get squished, plus it makes a free camp chair). Raccoon/mouse proofing is another compelling reason for to upgrade.

Is the Bear Vault still the best value proposition? Or is bearikade worth the extra two hundred odd bucks?
My local REI had 3-4 BV450's (the smaller ones) for like $12 at their last used gear sale. You might check out your local one next sale if you want to save a few bucks and don't need it immediately. I'm not sure why mine had them, none of our forest require them and I've never seen them in the store before :iiam:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think cheese is backpacking in the Sierra Nevada and it can be tough to find a place for a hammock if you're camping in the alpine zone a lot

quote:

Bear Vault probably still is the best value for the money, especially if you end up going to places that require Grizzly approved canisters. Bearikade's are significantly lighter though and I like the opening mechanism better than the Bear Vaults.

That said, I wouldn't spend the $250 on one unless I needed it for doing a lot of backpacking in places that required one.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

cheese posted:

According to REI's specs that weighs 2.75 pounds for the regular size. I get that a good night's sleep is important, but that's a lot of weight. If it were me, I'd try out some other brands of inflatable first before going with a cot. Try some of the Big Agnes or Exped pads for example. Maybe one of those will be more comfortable for you than the NeoAir.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Saint Fu posted:

According to REI's specs that weighs 2.75 pounds for the regular size. I get that a good night's sleep is important, but that's a lot of weight. If it were me, I'd try out some other brands of inflatable first before going with a cot. Try some of the Big Agnes or Exped pads for example. Maybe one of those will be more comfortable for you than the NeoAir.

Big agnes insulated q core ... great for side and stomach sleeping. I used to wake up with sore shoulders and hips as well as not sleeping soundly through the night from tossing and turning on a 1" self inflating thermarest pad.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Verman posted:

Big agnes insulated q core ... great for side and stomach sleeping. I used to wake up with sore shoulders and hips as well as not sleeping soundly through the night from tossing and turning on a 1" self inflating thermarest pad.

I couldn't make it through the night without being in pain on a ridgerest but I slept like a baby on my big agnes q core. It's a great pad.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ya, I love the hammock option but its a bitch in the Sierras. I guess I'll try out other pads first.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have tried napping in my hammock at work a few times and I cannot get comfortable. I tried to lay diagonal but I end up sliding back straight as soon as I drift off. I used a tape to get it set up correctly so I can't figure it out. I live on like 500 acres, about half wooded, so I think doing a little "home" overnight might be called for before I try it in actual woods.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

bunnielab posted:

I have tried napping in my hammock at work a few times and I cannot get comfortable. I tried to lay diagonal but I end up sliding back straight as soon as I drift off. I used a tape to get it set up correctly so I can't figure it out. I live on like 500 acres, about half wooded, so I think doing a little "home" overnight might be called for before I try it in actual woods.

What's "set up correctly" -- what do you have? How tall are you and how long/wide is the hammock? Does it have a ridgeline and is it about 83% of the hammock length? Do you have the suspension at about 30 degrees, if there's no ridgeline? There's a ton of moving parts in setting up a hammock, and while it seems pretty straightforward, it's easy to get an uncomfortable lay.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

dedian posted:

while it seems pretty straightforward, it's easy to get an uncomfortable lay.
:laugh:

Content: First overnight of the season last Friday and left my hammock straps, carabiners and rap rings attached to the tree. :sigh: Hopefully they'll still be there come this Friday.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ I'm sure they'll be fine for a week, but be sure to check your straps for UV damage just in case.

cheese posted:

Ya, I love the hammock option but its a bitch in the Sierras. I guess I'll try out other pads first.

Derp, that's a pretty critical detail...

You need the Neo Air Dream Mattress if weight < comfort. My buddy bought one of these things and yes, it is absolutely as comfortable as it looks. It's basically an air mattress/foam pad combo.

I dunno about the cot you linked earlier, but I have an older cot I picked up at a garage sale for shits and giggles, and it's intolerable for side/stomach sleeping. It's honestly barely any good for back sleeping... then again, I'm sure science has since made cots better.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 12, 2015

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I brought shame to this thread outing report and no pictures.

A good excuse to get out of town for a night on Friday.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I usually track my hikes using my iphone and a tracking app, but I am thinking of doing some two week+ hikes and I was thinking it might make more sense to just buy a cheap GPS because I imagine the battery life is much better. Does anyone have any suggestions for something cheap and simple?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Get a battery pack with a solar panel. Don't leave your phone at home.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

NonNCO posted:

Out of the blue here, but I'm going on a 800 mile hike for the Shikoku Pilgrimage in Japan over two months and was wondering about the issue that's always kicked my rear end to some degree; chafing.

In the past what's worked for me is just slathering bodyglide over thighs, rear end, strap contact area, etc. I was just wondering if there was a less smelly alternative that has worked for everyone else. Also, looking to buy a civilian with comfy straps for 25 miles/day pace, wondering if anyone knew of any really good ones. I was thinking of a tarp for shelter, 550 cord, a few bungees, and maybe a really light sleeping bag.

550 Cord
Tarp for shelter
Bungees
Light sleeping bag
Couple lighters
Goretex top-bottom for rain
Compass
Phone
Rape Whistle
Bright fabric for emergency
GPS
iodine tabs for emergency
Extra set of boots (wondering if anyone knows a good non-military boot, I was used to using nike SF and standard issue boots, which were terrible)
2-Quarts Water

Any thoughts on this? It's kind of a strange path, sometime it's pretty isolated for tens of miles, but then there are quite a few towns/temples along the way. It's the least populated of the major islands, so it isn't like there's a huge city every two feet either. I'm trying to keep the weight fairly low in order to keep my target distance of 25m a day, so cutting out food/cooking stuff/tons of heavy poo poo in general was important to me and there seems to be enough civilization that I can eat along the way.

How hot or wet is it going to be? I'd think that would have a big impact on your footwear choice. At any rate 25 miles a day is a fairly significant distance.. I can recommend these http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/quest-4d-2-gtx.html?article=370729 as the best civilian boots I've tried (currently serving, UK though). They're goretex so may not be what you're after it it's going to be super hot.

If you're travelling light carrying extra boots seems like an odd choice. Lycra shorts (or losing weight) are good for reducing chafing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

dedian posted:

What's "set up correctly" -- what do you have? How tall are you and how long/wide is the hammock? Does it have a ridgeline and is it about 83% of the hammock length? Do you have the suspension at about 30 degrees, if there's no ridgeline? There's a ton of moving parts in setting up a hammock, and while it seems pretty straightforward, it's easy to get an uncomfortable lay.

I have an ENO single and I set it up based on a few websites I looked at. I am like 5'10" and ~220. I had it hung in a sea container so both ends were rigged at alike 7'6' off the ground as that is where the d-rings are.

I messed with both ends a lot, moving them around to try and find comfort. I think I was close to having the ropes at 30d but I just eyeballed that.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

bunnielab posted:

I have an ENO single and I set it up based on a few websites I looked at. I am like 5'10" and ~220. I had it hung in a sea container so both ends were rigged at alike 7'6' off the ground as that is where the d-rings are.

I messed with both ends a lot, moving them around to try and find comfort. I think I was close to having the ropes at 30d but I just eyeballed that.

So that's... 55" wide and 9' 4" long. That might just be a bit too small for someone 5'10", but it might be doable! Try making a ridgeline with some rope if you have it (it probably doesn't need to be super strong, this will just be to test). For 9' 4" length, make the ridgeline about 7' 9", measuring from suspension to suspension. That'll give you a consistent sag so you don't have to worry as much about the suspension angle. If that helps, you may want to make something a little more permanent... get something like some lash-it or zing-it, and look up tutorials on splicing, it's kinda fun!

Also check hammockforums.net for way more information and sperging about hammocks than you'll ever need.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Time Cowboy posted:

Even boring oak woods are pretty in spring.

Oak woods are always pretty :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

NonNCO posted:

In the past what's worked for me is just slathering bodyglide over thighs, rear end, strap contact area, etc. I was just wondering if there was a less smelly alternative that has worked for everyone else. Also, looking to buy a civilian with comfy straps for 25 miles/day pace, wondering if anyone knew of any really good ones. I was thinking of a tarp for shelter, 550 cord, a few bungees, and maybe a really light sleeping bag.

550 Cord
Tarp for shelter
Bungees
Light sleeping bag
Couple lighters
Goretex top-bottom for rain
Compass
Phone
Rape Whistle
Bright fabric for emergency
GPS
iodine tabs for emergency
2-Quarts Water

Any thoughts on this? It's kind of a strange path, sometime it's pretty isolated for tens of miles, but then there are quite a few towns/temples along the way. It's the least populated of the major islands, so it isn't like there's a huge city every two feet either. I'm trying to keep the weight fairly low in order to keep my target distance of 25m a day, so cutting out food/cooking stuff/tons of heavy poo poo in general was important to me and there seems to be enough civilization that I can eat along the way.

I've hiked a couple of days in Japan. It's hot and humid as hell in the summer, but the infrastructure where we hiked (kumano kodo in wakayama prefecture) was very good and the 88 shrines route looks even better. I'm from a generally cold and dry climate, so the Japanese humidity really put a strain me. 2-Quarts of water (around 2L) sounds reasonable, if you've got the option to fill up one or more times a day. I'm assuming you've been to Japan before, so you probably already know this, but be sure to pick up a phrasebook-app thing for your phone, sleep in a tent if you are at all squeamish about bugs and get ready to start loving forest/temple vending machines.

Your packing list could be shaved down considerably, I'd ditch the extra set of boots (and if you want, the original set of boots in favour of some trailrunners, but that's a personal preference), like you've already said, six pairs of socks seems a little excessive, so does bright fabric for emergencies, a compass and the GPS, since the trails will be clearly marked and I understand that it's a very popular route. If you'll be hiking in the summer, you could consider a quilt instead of a sleeping bag. There's a lot of debate about what people like etc., but for the Japanese heat a quilt would be perfect. Also, be sure to splurge once in a while on a stay in a ryokan or similar, but be sure to book in advance.

A question for the thread. I'm looking for a new "cheap" and light two people tent and came across the North Face O2 tent. I'm not generally a fan of their products, but I've never had anything but good experiences with their tents, any thoughts? It's around 230 dollars and around 1 kg. Seems like a pretty decent 1 person hiking tent without breaking the bank?