Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

What's the deal with GPS popularity? I get some people will do off-trail hiking, but it honestly seems like most people are just dorks for having the data. I guess I get that, but I wish I could blow $300 on being a dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I wasn't getting nearly enough out of a DSLR compared to my P&S to justify carrying it; it always felt pretty cumbersome and I was really bad about missing wildlife shots from having it cased. A better photographer would have more justification for it.

I'm heading to Acadia for the first time next week! Has anyone here been out there and have any recs for trails? I like tough trails, since I'm used to day hikes up the 4000-footers in the Whites, but I'm also interested in places that are just really beautiful. I'm looking at Sargent and the Beehive for sure... probably avoiding Cadillac unless the trail itself is really fun. Seems Precipice and Jordan Cliffs are closed for falcons.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'd be careful about using the same jacket for snowboarding and hiking unless you're getting that gear especially cheap. Personally, I'd just end up with a jacket that isn't ideal for either... I want a different hood, I want different fits, I want different pockets, I want different weights (or rather, I care less about weight when riding). A snowboarding jacket can have bells and whistles that a backpacking jacket can't/shouldn't. I'd probably err on buying gear more suited to hiking that can also function for snowboarding (which is what people are already recommending) but I think you're actually best off finding the jacket that's perfect for your hikes...

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

A friend has the Costco poles. No problem using them compared to the cheap BDs. They seem fine for shaft durability, tip durability is kind of lovely and the tips are not replaceable. You'll shred them on rock. Looks like you can replace the lower section of the pole for $9/each, though.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Krill Nye posted:

I'm going to be visiting Maine and the Canadian Maritimes for a couple weeks in September. Does anyone have any must-do day hikes in the area? I won't be bringing camping gear so any backpacking is out of the question but I'd love to get 3-4 longer day hikes in. We'll be renting a car and visiting all three Maritime provinces in addition to Maine.

What hiking have you done recently, and what kind of gear will you be bringing along?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Powers posted:

On the way down Sunday, in the rain, we saw countless people covered in cotton head to toe (khakis and polo shirts) starting the 4 mile hike up to Lafayette, with a forecast high of mid 40s.

Amazing, isn't it? There were probably even a few of those trying to go up the ridge. I saw cotton and sneakers on Crawford Path the last time I was out there (for those not familiar with the Whites, this is a section of the AT that runs completely above treeline...) I'm regularly amazed there aren't more rescues/deaths.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 19, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

I honestly wonder if it's a weird midwestern thing - I camp with multiple groups of friends here that don't even know each other, yet the one thing they all have in common is incredibly late starts (on the Appalachian trail 3 years ago we wouldn't get moving until 11 a.m.), and I can't figure it out. I'm guessing it's because there's no mountains and no sense of danger in getting caught in storms.

Nope, you just like to be friends with lazy people.

Nateron posted:

This is so true.

The group I go with is pretty tight knit and have hiked together for years so we know our limits, what we're comfortable with, and how how much mileage we like to aim for. While recently discussing an upcoming 9 day trip one of my friends girlfriend decided then and there that she wanted to go (no prior backcountry experience), and that from our discussion that the trip didn't seem that difficult. That is until we discussed mileage, hiking in rain for days, smelling like a bunch of lumberjacks, and no easy access to a car in case you "had a change of heart". I said that if she did some weekenders through the year (rain of shine) then she was more than welcome to join. That seemed to be the deal breaker. I mean it's not like we're doing expeditions here, but we do like to go out and do what we came to do.

She seemed to think we were actively trying to push her out but when I explained that we've been burnt before by others on trips she just pushed it aside and said we weren't flexible. And I thought perhaps we aren't being flexible enough, but then all I could think about was not meeting our goals for the trip. But you know what, at my age with our group having kids, marriages, jobs, and bills I'm not willing to compromise (I mean we do to some degree to get the trip going, trying to plan around life is bad enough). Perhaps this makes us hard asses? But at this stage these trips are becoming a luxury and we don't seem to care, but we are willing to accommodate. Perhaps this makes us terrible people, I don't know.

Nah, I'm with you. There are different trips for different goals. I car camp way more often than I backpack, because a demanding day hike followed by campfires, fancy camp cookin', and beer is my favorite way to hike. I get that more than anyone. But when I do backpack, then yeah, I'm not really going to be flexible with people who want to take a leisurely stroll and wake up at noon, because that's 100% counter to the entire purpose of why I'm backpacking.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 10, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are the North Face Thermaball jackets any good, or is down just better overall?

I'm looking for something lightweight and fairly slim, if possible. I'll be using it as just a day-to-day in above-freezing weather, so I don't need a gigantic puffy thing. Packable is a big plus as well, hoping for it to fit in my bicycle pack.

I was considering this, but my only reservation is that North Face tends to make jackets to fit fat people: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-jackets-vests-insulated-goose-down/men-8217-s-quince-jacket.html

I should be staying out of the rain for the most part, but I live in Portland, so you never know when it might start. I wouldn't need waterproofness for anything planned though, I have a rainshell for that.

I don't know how slim a fit you're looking for — down doesn't tend to really do slim — but for Oregon winter when you're okay carrying a shell, the Uniqlo UL jackets are 1/3 the price and will do the job just as well.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty frugal, and here are my two cents. I'm not some nutter who won't spend more money for quality if it's apparent (e.g. all my dress shoes are at minimum Allen Edmonds quality) but you have to think about exactly what your requirements/wishes are and whether the cost increase is worth it. You can always find excuses to spend money on better quality gear. In my opinion — and I know that some will disagree — for city wear, there are seriously diminishing returns on shells past the REI, Columbia, EMS, etc. level of quality. For function, you want something that breathes at walking/biking over relatively short distances, which is more-or-less much covered by "vented plastic sheet", so you're paying for fit and comfort beyond that. Techwear is hip and popular and people become attached to their purchases, so you're gonna get a ton of people overselling the performance of their gear. If you have different rules for hiking, then consider those in your purchase; maybe you spend more for something lighter and more packable.

Don't get me wrong — there are benefits that you'll be able to notice just from handling a lot of these jackets in store, and I would absolutely buy Arc'teryx gear if I was completely comfortable with the price range. Just don't be fooled into dropping half your paycheck on a rainshell if you're not looking for gear in that price. The $70 Columbia shell doesn't compare to Arc'teryx because it's heavier, the material has more of a plasticky feel, it'll probably lose protection in showers over time, and it has a boxy shape... but it'll keep PNW rains out, breathe comfortably, and is durable enough to last for a few years.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

talktapes posted:

I know there are some NH dudes that lurk this thread, and am curious to hear how you guys feel about the Hike Safe Card law that's going to be rolled out next year: http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=the-nh-hike-safe-card

The general consensus on some other forums (specifically VFTT) is that this is a waste of money because if you're competent, you won't injure yourself. However I have mixed feelings about that argument, considering that stuff can go wrong very quickly in the backcountry even if you're reasonably prepared, and also taking into account the running track record of cases where the rescued person was deemed "negligent" and got smacked with thousands in rescue costs.

Seems like a cash grab that helps them justify their rescue policy. For the most part, the only people who are going to buy that card are people who are reasonably prepared... the jackass that goes up Washington in the spring packless in a cotton t-shirt and shorts isn't going to even know what a Hike Safe Card is. I'm not sure if I'll get one yet. If I do, it's mostly just to support S&R. I'll never get caught in weather or in any situation I couldn't handle o/n, so the only time I'd need it if I need someone to haul my rear end down after some kind of medical emergency, so the only question is if I'm gonna get deemed negligent for having the audacity to break an ankle without a rope in my pack.

[edit: Eh, yeah, whatever, $35/year for the family, I'll just get it.]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 15, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

turevidar posted:

I'm moving to southern New Hampshire in January. I know about the White Mountains to the north, but what is else is good in Massachusetts, Vermont, and western Maine?

Can anybody recommend specific destinations in the Whites for 2-3 day trips?

The Whites are my favorite and will definitely be your destination for a normal weekend hike. Definitely check out Acadia as soon as you're able, and Baxter/Katahdin and Mansfield are worth visits. Monadnock is okay, but it's ridiculously crowded in good weather. Pick up the AMC guidebook to the Whites and put your own routes together off the descriptions, it's a fantastic book.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

The real reason I want all my hiking gear ultralight is so I can justify carrying a good sized external battery that'll recharge a smart phone / kindle a dozen or more times between power outlet stops.... and a decent USB chargeable weatherproof Bluetooth speaker as well. Those three items are useless weight in a lot of ways, but infinite entertainment/uses when needed/used

:stare:

Well.

I guess different people are looking for different things out of backpacking.

But, still.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I've wanted to get a pair of light shoes like trailrunners (or equivalent), but I hike in the Whites, which means lots of rock. Lots of wet rock. I tried a pair (can't recall the brand) on one trip and ate poo poo three or four times on a descent I could handle pretty well in my boots, and since then I've had a pretty hefty fear of replacing my lovely, heavy, torn up boots that don't cause me to fall down mountains. I'm sure the problem is just my particular shoe selection, so does anyone have recommendations for something which will hit that balance of durable and comfortable over many miles of pointy rock, but still have reasonable traction for a clumsy fucker on wet rock? My wife has a pair of Merrill Moabs that work great, but I'd like something lighter and more trail-runner-y.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Speleothing posted:

Your problem is with the tread. It sounds like you want an approach shoe with good cushion and some regular tread. Try the Salewa Mountain Trainer, Wildfire, or Firetail.

turevidar posted:

I have used a pair of Inov8 rocklites in the Catskills, Adirondacks, and a single trip to the Whites - plenty of wet rock and mud. I love them and will almost certainly buy another pair when I wear these out. The tread is super knobbly, they're really light, and they dry out quickly.

Levitate posted:

The sticky rubber that approach shoes use is going to be by far the best thing for use on rock of really any kind when you're looking for traction. Boots and trailrunners aren't gonna be close, that poo poo is made specifically for gripping rock and is fantastic. That's what approach shoes are made for

I used last years model of these things n the JMT and like them. I hear this years has a softer rubber that grips better which is good cuz that was the one drawback to the ones I have, they aren't great at gripping rock

HarryPurvis posted:

Funny you mention hiking in the Whites. One of my favorite hiking blogs is Section Hiker and he raves about hiking in La Sportiva Ultra Raptor trail runners.
Thanks everyone, that gives me a good start for sure.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

All the knife talk reminds me:

There were more Katanas on the AT than I had mentally prepared myself for.

I saw two loving Katanas being carried.

I don't think one left Springer Mountain. One is def up in the smokies right now.

You just know that there are more.

If it ever turns out that Autism is contagious I'm never using a shelter on the AT again, because there was also a lot of that on the trail, too.

Come to think of it I saw more Katanas than African Americans from Amicola Falls to Neels Gap. I saw even fewer Bears.

It looks like your far more likely to encounter Autism, Katanas, and even a minority, than Bears on the AT.

And yet nobody talks about Autism Shelters or Katana Canisters or whatever. Always fear of Bears and not Adam Lanza Jr. Humping N. Georgia mountains clinging onto his Genzeku like there's no tomorrow.

You can use bear cables for your food all you want but bear cables won't stop autistic ninjas. Especially if they're conditioned to human encounters already or if they think you might have pocky.

:350:

Let's be real, you might not be an autistic ninja, but you're still thru-hiking the AT. You've been "that guy on the trail" more than a few times, or you wouldn't be up for the attempt.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

funkymonks posted:

Awesome. That should be a lot of fun.

It's pretty crowded. The trail up to the lake is full of families but that's only 1.5 miles. All the other trails are pretty empty. One of the guys working at the hut said they had 32 people spending the night on a Sunday night so it definitely was busy. I'd guess Saturdays are even busier.

I'm trying to work up to doing the Pemi Wilderness Loop sometime in October. I have some reservations about a couple areas that late in the year, particularly Lafayette the ridge trail . But then I'm a super conservative hiker when it comes to preparing for inclement weather conditions.

October isn't usually too problematic and there are a lot of spots to bail near the ridge. I hike the ridge loop every year and I've hit it in mid-November without incident... just bring cold gear and spikes and watch the forecast.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Nateron posted:

Yeah I was up there a few weeks ago and can't believe how packed it was. I recall going up there 15 years ago and not seeing a soul outside of the waterfalls. Now it seems to be the only other place people hike besides the porkies and the MRT downstate. It's like they only choose from 3-4 locations. Plenty of solitude elsewhere.

For Michigan the amount of people there (as well as the drat kayak tours) is unbelievable. I think the place is nice and all but there's far better and more challenging places here in the state.

What are you thinking of? I'm a MI native and haven't been back to hike for several years, but I've had a trip on my radar to show my wife some cool parts of the state because I've never taken her outside of metro Detroit / Ann Arbor. I was thinking about hitting spots like Sleeping Bear, Porkies, and Pictured Rocks (considering Isle Royale but probably too much of a pain in that kind of trip). All of those are obviously big tourism spots that I remember visiting as a kid so I'm definitely interested in calmer options.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Thanks guys, those are a lot of great spots to look into! I'm shamefully unfamiliar with the UP.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm not so concerned about first hammock, but brand new pack and no recent backpacking has me wondering a bit...

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I use the Half Dome 4 as my car camping two-person tent and it is excellent.

Dukket posted:

Hello!

Next September we're attending a wedding in SW Vermont and figured we would try to fit in a backpacking trip - a week or more, while we’re out that way. Our preference (not requirement) would be to see as few people as possible, which makes me assume the AT is not the best option.

We’re in Chicago so most of our camping/bping has been MI and WI with some time in the Smokies and out west as well. Just not that familiar with the east

Thoughts, AT or other?

The Long Trail north of the AT would be good for that, but be warned you're likely gonna be really, really slow if you're only used to the midwest.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 5, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What options are available for lightweight, durable musical instruments? It would be cool if there was something like a mandolin at half the weight. I found this Pocket Sax, looks like an interesting option (basically a recorder with a less wimpy voice?) Harmonicas are often pretty annoying but maybe one could become good with harmonica somehow.

"Durable" and "string instrument" don't really go along well. Travel ukes can take a reasonable degree of beating, but a wood one is gonna suck up moisture, you have to worry about strings, and if you're strapping it to a pack you're probably going to want to be in the "intonation is total garbage" price range. I've seen some plastic ones but they pretty much sound like something you'd buy a toddler.

Plus, you're gonna be just another douche with a ukelele.

Harmonica is my travel instrument of choice because it's really small, really light, really durable, and really easy to learn the basics. While that pocket sax looks kinda cool, if you've never played a reed instrument you're gonna need some serious practice with it... a flute would probably be a better idea in that case.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

talktapes posted:

That looks fun as hell, even with a full pack. I've accepted that I probably won't ever get up to Mahoosuc Notch, but this reminds me that I really wanted to do the Ice Gulch up in Randolph this summer, which is supposed to be comparable to the Notch in terms of difficulty, but doable as a loop dayhike. Closest I've ever come to this type of terrain is the Subway in King Ravine, which is comparably pretty easy as it's only a short section and relitively flat, but it was still really cool. I've read if you go off trail in Carter Notch there are lots of boulders to screw around on too.

I'm doing the Ice Gulch for the first time in August! I'm looking forward to it... I'm planning more hikes that don't involve new summits since most of the 4,000 footers I have left are increasingly annoying.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

talktapes posted:

Let me guess, Owl's Head? I ended up enjoying most of the 4ks but there are a handful that kind of suck, not a fan of Hale or the Kinsmans either. Or Cabot really although the loop over the Horn and whatever the other one is was nice. The only one I can see never doing again under any circumstance is Owl's Head.

All of the above, plus Waumbek, Cannon, Carrigain, North Twin, Tom, Field, and Isolation. Some of those are perfectly fun, but I've been neglecting interesting hikes for the sake of peakbagging and I've kinda cooled on getting all of them ASAP.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

LimburgLimbo posted:

That's what people tend to do on Mt. Fuji

As a counterpoint, I don't think a day hike up and down from the base of Mt. Fuji (~3,000 meters?) is insane at all, just challenging. I do think it's something you need to know you're fit enough to do after covering 100+ km in two days just to get there. That's... not totally the impression that I'm getting, so make sure you're not going to burn out on the climb because you pushed the pace on the road there. If you're not used to multi-day treks then you'll definitely be climbing tired.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

No idea how strong the more expensive poles are in comparison, I was under the impression they're all about the same. Cant see myself shelling out $100 on poles lol

They are, you just get very small gains in shock absorption, durability, weight, and packability. I think for the majority of hikers and backpackers, there isn't really a good reason to splurge on poles. The differences are fairly minimal and everything is going to snap if you go down awkwardly with the pole planted (better the pole snaps than your arm/wrist). If you're spending a lot of time fastpacking or running with poles, then I'd consider looking into folding carbon fiber poles rather than telescoping aluminum, but overall you're best off starting with those cheap Costco ones and upgrade only if you develop reasons to upgrade.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Any recommendations for hikes and camping in or around Acadia? Planning a night or two in July

You'll want to reserve a site ahead of time, you can only camp at campgrounds and sites are limited. IMO for first time visitors, Blackwoods is the way to go for convenience to the popular spots. July is high season so I'd get on that ASAP. There are some private campgrounds too, but eh.

Acadia is great because you can really string together anything and make a great time of it. My favorite trail in the park is Jordan Cliffs but it'll likely be closed for falcons during summer. Beehive is really unique and fun, the Bubbles are a short hike with a good payoff, the Penobscot/Sargent loop is a great slightly longer hike, and Gorge Path is a neat trail. These are all generic and popular recommendations but they're popular for a reason... beyond that, I'd suggest just grabbing a map and tracing out a loop based on how far you're comfortable covering in one go. The west side of the park is also awesome (and less trafficked) but I'd spend time in the east if you just have a couple days.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mopp posted:

I'm looking for shoe recommendations, currently using a pair of high boots weighing in at 1.2 kg each but am willing to try the trail-runner route. The boots are awesome, but I want to cut weight. I usually do multi-day hikes with around 15 kg of gear so nothing UL.

As for shoes, these are my criteria:
1. Light, around 500 g each maximum.
2. Large and wide toebox. I have large wide feet and anything narrow won't fit.
3. No Gore-Tex. I prefer letting the shoes/boots dry out themselves by just changing socks.

Anyone having any recommendations?

I've tried the following:
  • Altra Lone Peak 4: it fits well but feels too soft. Can't imagine it will handle rocky terrain with a heavy pack.
  • La Sportiva Spire GTX: mostly good, feels a bit too narrow, might be able to break it in but I don't know about how the GTX membrane will stretch (also I'd prefer something not having GTX).
  • Salomon PRO 3D WIDE: just a bad shape.

Altra and Topo are good bets if you need a wide toebox. If you liked the fit of the Lone Peak, the Timp 1.5 has a similar fit with a bit more cushion/protection. It's become my mainstay for hiking in the Northeast (nothin' but rocks) and ultramarathons.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm always shocked at how much space people can fill. I can fit my kit for two nights, minus pad, bag, tent, and fuel into my 12L running vest and I don't own any ultralight gear except for my rain shell. I usually use a 35L pack, tent carried outside with the compression straps, and that's with a fairly enormous bag and tent (REI trail pod and half dome 4). I agree that there's not THAT much difference between 40 and 60 in terms of pack weight if you're getting one all-purpose pack but I think feeling like you need 60L is an invitation to rethink your gear.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Yooper posted:

There's various orienteering clubs about that do courses/races. In the US it's https://orienteeringusa.org/, in UK https://www.britishorienteering.org.uk/. They usually offer classes prior to the events and structure it in a way that's both fun and challenging. I should brush up on my compass work, I tend to just rely on reading the terrain on the map and use that. A bit more challenging when there isn't much terrain to work off of.

I do a lot of orienteering but I don't think it's the most efficient way to learn skills for backcountry navigation. I tend to use marked features pretty often and it's hard to force yourself to just use topography when you're competing for time.

Best thing to do is just get yourself out there in a situation where you can just go in one cardinal direction and hit the road where your car is parked if you're terribly lost.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I'm gonna be half a jerk, which means I'm gonna skip the really jerky comment and go straight to the technical part...

An app isn't going to help much. GPS doesn't provide that level of accuracy, so you're still gonna find yourself on the side of ridges with invisible, snow-covered trails, wet socks, no gloves, and one headlamp for four people. You can get the same detail and outcome from the official USGS topographic maps, which are free online. I'd recommend you start with a paper map, a compass, and a navigation course. Afterwards you'll be in a better spot to know when apps are lying to you (often).

ps Fun times at Snoqualmie Pass this weekend. Lots of highway closures, several feet of snow, tree bombs, breaking trail most of the way, four feet deep in places, slow going, out of shape:

I agree that navigation skills are important and trump everything, but GPS is usually plenty accurate for when you're lost (unless you have like zero LOS then you should be accurate within 5-15 meters), and Gaia uses topo maps too.

The main reason I don't like relying on phone apps is because I usually only get confused in the winter and that's when you run the risk of having the cold kill the battery.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

M. Night Skymall posted:

I'm not sure how you guys got the impression I got lost, I just wanted an app that would show me the track we took after the fact as I think it would have made writing the trip report easier. Anyway, Gaia GPS looks like exactly what I wanted, thanks for the recommendations.

You literally got lost in your "incident," tiger.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

late to cairn chat but they're all over the alpine zone in the White Mountains and nobody minds because they keep people off the alpine vegetation. you can't really blaze the trails because they're all rocks the weather is poo poo. some of them have been there for many decades by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I belong to a Portland area climbing and hiking club, the Mazamas. Currently only people who have summited a glaciated peak can join, though a nontechnical hike is fine. This requirement is obviously dumb snob poo poo, so I was glad to see a vote on a proposal to open up membership. It got 52% support and I'm kind of surprised it didn't get the two-thirds it needed to pass. Everyone in this town loves to talk about being more inclusive but all the published statements in opposition were basically "gently caress you, get your own club".

That's especially loving silly for a PNW group, because most people would probably meet that "requirement" with peaks like South Sister or St. Helens whose full technical requirements for a summer ascent are "carry an ice axe, I guess, but you won't use it."