Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

turevidar posted:

Does anyone have any experience with OR's Alpine bivvy or Advanced bivvy? From what I see on their site, the construction is similar and uses the same materials, but the advanced has an extra pole and more options for propping it open. Is there anything else going on that would make one better than the other?

I would be using it 4 seasons, mostly for 2-4 night backpacking trips in the northeast.

I've been looking at their advanced Bivvy and their Helium Bivvy... I own their Ultralight rain shell, and some thermals and base layers from them that are absolutely top notch, so I can't imagine they'd be terrible. I really like OR's gear, A lot. I'd kill to be a tester for them.

I got the Osprey Volt 75 pack for my bday ($142 after sale) this year. Going from straight up ALICE gear to this pack is like going from a 3 wheeler eastern euro commie car to 2015 Caddy. I can't say enough good poo poo about the pack. I'm in love. Now I need a good Bivvy and sleeping bag. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I just got my fancy pants evernew titanium alcohol stove and stand/screen and cook wear, holy schnikes my old stove weighed more than all of this, including these fancy Ti utensils and knife. :stare:

I got a retarded amount of Amazon gift credits and deals, otherwise going all titanium would have been stupid expensive when I can just use a can stove or trangia.. But I paid roughly $49 out of my pocket to go all Ti for stove/cookware/utensils/ and of weighs a fraction of my old setup and is durable as poo poo.. Unlike soda can stoves.. I cannot say that dollar for dollar an all Ti evernew camp setup beats a trangia and similar non-Ti equipment. The cost increase is just retarded, but if you can do it on the cheap it's an awesome little upgrade... saved a good deal of weight and greatly increased the compactness and durability of my cooking/eating setup. (It's practically indestructible and won't rust ever)

Now I'm waiting on Survive Outdoors Longer Escape Bivvy Breathable Respirant, OD Green, 0.593 Pound to come in, looking to combine it with the Suisse Sport Adventurer Mummy Ultra-Compactable Sleeping Bag, Left Zipper and Cocoon Silk MummyLiner (Natural, 95-Inch x 35/22-Inch) and my new much lighter sleep / shelter system will be complete. I already got a set of ultralight 7.5x10 foot aquaquest nysil waterproof tarps..

Still trying to figure out my sleeping pad.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

HEY VAPER posted:

So my windshirt either fell apart or was attacked by a cat, so I had to replace my now-discontinued verto pro with a houdini. Not going to lie I'm pretty disappointed. For a 2oz difference, I really liked having the waterproof and abrasion resistant sleeves/hood, and on the houdini I have to partially unzip to fit the hood around my head while wearing a beanie. Was in some ~40mph ish winds today though, and the hood stayed put so there is that. At least I can wear the houdini around town without looking like a tool, since it actually gets p windy here. Don't get me wrong, the houdini is p nice and I think everyone should own a windshirt, but the verto was some pimp poo poo. RIP verto pro wind shirt you will be missed

What kind of waterproof jacket should I be buying for dayhikes/trailrunning? Waterproof enough for a day, but breathable enough for heavy activity, and light/packs small since it will spend way more time in the pack than worn? I use disposable ponchos but they aren't really breathable enough for running. kinda looking at the marmot precip or the or ferossi because they're cheap but I'm kinda lost here and my local REI didn't have any stock to check out.

Liner glove suggestions for babby hands? Everything at REI Dick's Big 5 etc are too big for my hands which makes me afraid to try online. Should I try the kid's section? I've been using some thick synthetic liner gloves I bought a bunch of at an asian dollar store, but they're about 2x thickness of most liner gloves, which messes with my finger dexterity + makes tearing my disposable waterproofs easier.

For people without giftcards to burn, you can actually go all titanium very cheaply, as you should because it is vastly superior to alum/steel in every imagineable way. There's a pretty good selection of actually high quality stuff on fasttech.com dx.com alibaba aliexpress and other Chinese wholesaler. It isn't low quality knockoff stuff either, it's the same stuff they have at REI. Shipping times suck and the really good deals have a tendency to be out of stock though.

Seriously every dollar spent on steel/alum cookware is a dollar not spent on Ti cookware.

Outdoor Research Helium II rain shell if the thing is just gonna sit in your pocket waiting for rain. Mine fits in the breast pocket of my Outdoor Research radiant pullovers breast pocket, weighs nothing, and continently cushions the chest strap on my pack and keeps your rear end 100% dry.

It's like a retarded good piece of kit for ultralight. $150 for a rainshell may be too much for some budget types, but I've never found anything that touches the OR Helium II man. Just my personal opinion though, I don't run more than 3 feet ever though 'cuz I've got a poo poo back and knees so I'm not sure how it'd do for trail running. For us snail types it gets my wholehearted endorsement.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

HEY VAPER posted:

Edit: quick question: would a helium 2 packed fit inside a houdini pocket? if so I know which one I'm buying.

I like it. Any mention of how breathable it is? How's the hood on it? Waterproof enough to stand a couple hours of rain? The weight and packability makes it really appealing to me. Could bring it, AND a houdini, and still come out lighter than a softshell. I wouldn't mind spending a bit more or having a bit extra weight for pit zips though.. Durable enough that my pack won't tear it to shreds?

Right now I'm between the helium ii and super mica -- I think the mica might have a bit of an edge for running, and the pit zips seem nice.. But it's a bit heavier and doesn't pack as nice.. I found the mica on sale for pretty cheap on some random websites, but I have a few REI gift cards I could use for the helium and it seems like a good idea to buy things like ultralight ultratearable jackets that I use regularly from the place with the no questions asked return policy :V

Is there a windshirt equivalent for pants? I'm basically looking for a light windbreaking pair of pants that won't add much warmth, breathe well, fit very slim (I'm 5'9, 130#, 29" waist) so it won't blow around in the wind, not huge leg openings with cinches or electic cuffs as I wear trailrunners not boots. Basically just lightweight windbreaker pants that I won't really notice I'm wearing. Should I be looking at softshell pants? regular old nylon pants? something else? Is this a thing? Most of the time I'm fine in just baselayer and poly shorts, but it would be nice to have something for cold days. I'm trying to get myself to start running more often on days with lovely weather.

Dunno man, I walk, no running. Bad knees and back. And I'm following a trail partner and his dog with all their non ultralight gear so my speed on hikes is glacial compared to the aerobic poo poo you do. But the jacket is durable. OR makes legit gear, that Bivvy and that sleeping bag I bought are kinda questionable brands I guess that I've never really used (cheap and right weight though, rolling the dice) but OR is 100% as described in their specifications, and typically carry a lifetime warranty... Specific to you and this running silliness (;))It breathes in the goretex range, imho- but is way f'ing lighter and thinner. I don't know if it breathes enough to handle straight up running with tons of moisture from on both sides bc I don't go nearly that aerobic but yeah that hood is water proof as poo poo- older helium a don't have the elastic to cover a hats bill tho, if your shopping cheap FYI.

It seems to be a fave in the NW with runners and backpackers which is where I saw them first years ago. :shrug:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
The real reason I want all my hiking gear ultralight is so I can justify carrying a good sized external battery that'll recharge a smart phone / kindle a dozen or more times between power outlet stops.... and a decent USB chargeable weatherproof Bluetooth speaker as well. Those three items are useless weight in a lot of ways, but infinite entertainment/uses when needed/used

Anyone ever use an electric portable showering system on hikes? I'm thinking of trying it out since I like before bed showers and not smelling of rear end. Ivation Battery-Powered Handheld Portable Shower - Turns Water From Bucket/Basin/Sink Into... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IFHFJXI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_a0J4ub1WXZ7V6

1.8 pounds, but quick showers behind some privacy tarps (warm water even if I choose too I guess) before bed after a long day hike sounds awesome,

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Hahaha yesssssssssssssssss.

Goons horrified of weight to get a shower setup going when base weight is in the teens haha. loving :lol:, I like those Coleman solar shower setups that you can just fill and hang as well.. I used to use this sorta setup on hunting trips: Coleman 5-Gallon PVC Camp Shower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PUT20/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_fUN4ub0H29E63
It's only 1/2 the weight, but like I said I'm deep in the teens on pack weight already, my pack out includes a large lightweight collapsible bucket I can fill with hot water, and for some retarded seeming luxury I'm hauling a little extra weight and bathing on the trail, every few days, if not every day. As far as the electric shower goes It's gadgety looking as gently caress, so I'm super wary on it, trust me it'd have to be a lightening sale / test piece but I like that it filters and that the pump is USB rechargeable. Odds are its a heavy hunk of poo poo, but sometimes there's diamonds in the rough.

I dunno, it's mostly a :350:highdea:350: on the electric shower thing, but I'm definitely getting either a shower attachment for my water bladder, or just a solar shower bag. Showering regularly is :cool: and stank is not, though understandable and mostly tolerable for folks. I just like the added luxury of a shower. ;)

Lots of folks wear stank like their badge of honor when hiking, just not my thing.

Bluetooth speaker was kind of a joke, I do need good headphones though and I hate earbuds with a passion. How else will I listen to my 9/11 conspiracy podcasts on the AT? And with a speaker we can all realize that jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to melt steel girders.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

/\ not quite the intent, I think. But definitely a better option than the banjo music no one ever wants to hear in the woods.

I was waiting for you guys to tell him that. That bluetooth speaker is heavy enough to hammer down tent stakes.

Haha not that heavy rear end Bose speaker man. They have some waterproof lightweight marine speakers that are pretty good. You know me l.. IDGAF about ruining the serenity of nature with podcasts and music, but I think headphones are gonna be best just because I'm cheap and they're light.. But then nobody else can listen to weird euro pop electronica with me mashed up against coast to coast on the AM frequencies. ;)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Keldoclock posted:

Well, I use a small handheld shortwave radio. I'm sure that if I wanted to spend the battery connecting to someone else with a car or home radio I could easily find someone who wanted to discuss conspiracy theories with me, but so far I have just used it to tune into 162.550 for weather information. I pack it along whenever the trip is longer than a weekend. Maaaaaaybe it could be useful as a rescue tool if I can't get a cell signal, but I won't rely on it. I can't afford a satellite phone.

If you are carrying a radio though then about 10 ft of wire is a good idea, you tie the wire to a string, then tie a rock to the string, throw it over a tall thing, then do it again to make a Y-shaped antenna. It can really boost the range of a handheld radio. It will increase battery usage for transmit, however, so whenever you are in the backcountry, keep your radio conversations as short as possible.

The gently caress? People actually keep the plunger? I use the drops when temps will be 20 degrees F or colder, but I find that the Sawyer Mini is much more convenient than drops if you connect it in-line to a hydration bladder. Instead of "mix chemicals, wait 5 minutes and eat a snack, add to water, then hike for 30 minutes, then drink water" I just flip my pack around to the front of my body, yank out my camelbak, fill it, close it, and keep walking. I don't know how long it takes but it sure isn't 5 minutes. Maybe 5 minutes isn't a big deal, but it messes up my rhythm, man.

I use a tarp as a shelter, with 2 twelve foot lines for the ridgeline and 8 4-ft long lines. FWIW 12 ft is enough to hang dry your clothes. It's not like you will have more than like, underwear, pants, shirt, socks.

Actually you just made me realize that I already own an awesome grundig SW set that is easy on batteries and light on weight. :)

How do you like your tarp shelter setup? I'm trying it this year, with lightweight stuff I got on the cheap to test out..
I got an Aqua-Quest "The Guide" Waterproof & Ultra Lightweight Silicone Sil Tarp - 10 x 7 Medium to make a tarp shelter with this year, I'm actually thinking of getting a second tarp to make it a very nice tarp shelter setup with more protection. ~30 ounces for the tarps if I have 2, negligible additional weight in the rope and Ti stakes (I really gotta weigh these), combine with a bug net SOL's Escape Breathable Bivvy, and my Suisse Sport Adventurer Mummy Ultra-Compactable Sleeping Bag lined with a silk sleeping bag liner and on top of my Big Agnes Q-Core SL Insulated Sleeping Pad (Large/Long) and I'm hoping to be 3 season comfortable and dry, but most importantly lightweight. I get to experiment a lot as its backup solution anyway as my trail partner is lugging a 4 person tent I intend to use primarily as we figure out how the gently caress to make this tarp shelter living poo poo as comfortable and waterproof as we can, and see if it manages to come out lighter as well.

Any suggestions or thoughts on how to achieve this are welcome.

:)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

I've got an older spring-loaded gerber I'll be taking out this year, and a gerber knife that's rigged to my pack strap. the blade on the multitool is pretty useless at 2" and non-serrated, probably barely capable of cutting a waffle house steak. But the rest of the poo poo on it make it worth carrying. probably a bit of overkill but the dumb army vet in me says better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

doesn't apply to hammers though.

I weighed my pack without sleeping pad or food / water today. Almost 12 pounds total, with the Anker backup battery and a full fuel load.. and I'm under 200lbs with it on me now- that camp sink/bucket I'm getting is ~8 ounces and about the same for the little foot pump shower thing I found, I'm gonna be able to field shower man and not carry heavy extra heavy poo poo for my trouble. :3:

I'm far too excited about the prospects of being marginally less dirty and smelly on the hike, but after a week or two I really dislike not bathing more than every other day or two. Less if I'm not wiping off with a baby wipe or two at night during Warmer months.

loving field shower. Gonna be much happier. So much happier.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

Not an experienced hiker at all, but I'd like to get in to it (and climbing) so I can get out more. Looking for somebody to keep me honest. Anybody here in the Middle TN area? I'm not interested in getting started until this rear end in a top hat cold weather goes away.

Spongebob and I are TN folk - we do local training hikes, but are heading out for an AT thru hike attempt bearish the end of March.

I haven't hiked in 2 or 3 days but we'd been keeping honest at 3-5 day hikes a week prepping for the trail thus far this winter.

It's a fun hobby, we've been having a fun time this winter so far, even if it's a bit dull and overcast at times.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

oh, the 4 person tent is going mainly because I can't find something reasonable that weighs less than the 4.odd pounds my tent already does.

Plus I'm taking up a slot, so two men and a dog and our gear will be snug in the 4 person.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

Nice. Where are you guys located?

East Memphrika, essentially.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

I went to law school at UM. Where do you hike around there? Just wear out Shelby Farms?

And the germantown trails Snd the ones near Wolf River. It's not nature, but it's miles- and miles are more important fir training than scenery.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
After getting rid of (losing through moves and separations) almost all my gear I spent the last few months refitting my hiking gear. This year is gonna be my first attempt at a really long multi-week hike, so I tried to lightweight were possible but if quality/durability/price greatly outweighed weight savings I went for non-ultralight gear. Honestly though I came through fairly light.

2015 Gear List:

Osprey Men's Volt 75 Backpack, Fern Green, One Size

Osprey posted:

About this item:

Sometimes the simplest answer is the best. That’s the thinking behind the all new VoltViva series. These packs offer value-conscious users the chance to buy a quality pack that truly fits and carries well. Outfitted with all the essential features, but light on bells and whistles, these packs are all about ensuring a quality carry and an enjoyable experience in the backcountry.

Product Details
Department: mens
Manufacturer: Osprey Packs
Manufacturer reference: 016075-731
Product Dimensions: 29 x 45 x 6 inches; 2.8 pounds
Shipping Weight: 3.9 pounds
ASIN: B00AOI86IG

My review: :aaaaa:

I loving love this pack. They claim 2.8 pounds but I consistently get 2.5 pounds, and it feels like 0. I've never had a more adjustable pack before. The hydration pouch can carry any 100 oz system of your choice easy, and the padded hip belt and back make carrying this thing heaven. I upgraded from a medium ALICE pack, and I will never go back. Ever. My wife paid $199 for the pack on my birthday. Best birthday present ever.

Sleep System:

SOL Escape Bivvy Tactical Gear Survival Sleeping Bag/shelter- Od Olive Drab

SOL posted:

About this item
The SOL EscapeTM Bivvy is nothing less than a revolution in backcountry shelters. The complaint with most ultra-light emergency shelters is the same: condensation builds up inside as you get warm, leaving your clothes soaking wet. With the EscapeTM Bivvy, condensation is no longer an issue, and you never again have to choose between staying dry and staying warm. The proprietary fabric lets moisture escape at the same time that it keeps rain, snow, and wind on the outside - all while reflecting your body heat back to you. Waterproof seams plus a drawstring hood closure and side zip mean you can seal out the elements entirely or use the bivvy like a traditional sleeping bag. The low-visibility OD Green color with repeating black logos is ideal for those times when survival means you don't want to be seen.

KIT DETAILS Size: 84" x 31" Weight: 8.5 oz. IDEAL USES Hiking / Backpacking Expeditions / Adventure Travel Hunting / Fishing Emergency Prep

My Review: This is a water resistant heat reflective Bivvy that really does breathe and not become a condensation nightmare . No idea on durability yet, will report back later but it's as advertised in all other respects. It's also light as hell at 8.5 ounces. I got 2 of these, one for me and my trail partner for the current price of $49.99. These seemed like an amazing steal at $25 or less if they're at all durable. I dunno about $50. Fits over my sleeping bag perfectly which brings us to...

Sleeping bag: Suisse Sport Adult Adventurer Mummy Ultra-Compactable Sleeping Bag (Right Zipper) Blue

Suisse Sport posted:

The Suisse Sport Adventure extra-small sleeping bag is ideal for long treks when a few inches or pounds can make the difference between a pleasant hike and an unbearable slog. The mummy bag is ultra-compact, compressing down to 12 by 7 by 7 inches when in the stuff sack. How small is that? Well, it's petite enough to hold in the palm of your hand. That means you can easily fit the bag in your hiking pack without using up a third of your pack space. At the same time, the bag is warm and comfortable, with a 100-percent polyester ripstop outer and inner lining, a double-layer construction, and a 700-gram Micro Tekk.7 high-performance microfiber insulation. The construction materials ad up to a 30-degree F temperature rating, making the bag a good choice for summer, spring, and fall camping trips. Other details include a full chest baffle, a draft tube, and a utility pocket. The Adventure sleeping bag measures 29.5 by 84.5 inches (W x L) when open and weighs 2.9 pounds in the stuff sack. The bag is also machine-washable for continence.

From the manufacturer:

Designed for hikers, bikers, and campers who wish to travel light.

The Suisse Sport Adventurer Mummy sleeping bag provides warmth and comfort when you need it most. It is a Standard Adult size ultra compact sleeping bag - and measures 29.5 inch by 84.5 inch when laid flat. It comes with a compression storage sack that can compact to 12 x 7 x 7 inches making this your favorite compact, packable sleeping bag. Double layer construction is offset to prevent cool spots in the bag. Contoured top gives you a soft surface for your head, while allowing you to keep your nose out of the bag. Lowest temp rated to 30 degrees in ideal dry conditions.

Ideal comfort range is 40-55 degrees.

The best selling Suisse Sport adult-sized sleeping bag.

Suisse Sport makes many sleeping bags including an Adventurer XL which is longer and wider on the top for larger, broader shoulders.

My review: $30 and compacts down to nothing. Not the warmest bag on earth for late March / Early April on the AT but when combined with my Bivvy, sleeping pad, and my bag liner, I feel like I'll be perfectly fine even if the weather gets retarded.

Sleeping Bag Liner: TETON Sports Sleeping Bag Liner (XL, 87"x 36", 12 oz)

Teton Sports posted:

About this item
This sleeping bag liner feels like a luxury sheet, is easy to insert in your bag, and quickly comes out for machine washing. Protect your bag from dirty feet and campfire smoke smells, while also improving your comfort and adding about ten degrees of warmth to your bag. Liners extend the life of your sleeping bag, and make cleanup after camp much easier. The durable, brushed fabric design minimizes twisting during the night, and the top sides open 24 inches and fold down for easy entrance and exit. Safety Velcro tabs close the openings to keep out drafts, and the liner additionally features a square pillow hood and reinforced seams.

Velcro tab closures help you seal out drafts.
Features
Rectangular liner fits most TETON Sports sleeping bags
Adds about ten degrees of warmth to a sleeping bag
Machine washable and dry-able
Soft and breathable, like a luxury sheet
Includes stuff sack with drawstring cord, barrel-lock, and handle
Specifications
Measures 36 by 87 inches (W x D)
24-inch left- and right-side Velcro openings
12-ounce weight
Made of durable brushed polyester
Lifetime Warranty
TETON Sports products include a limited lifetime manufacturer's warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

This sleeping bag liner feels like a luxury sheet, is easy to insert in your bag, and quickly comes out for machine wash. Protect your bag from dirt and campfire smoke smells, while improving your comfort. Liners extend the life of your sleeping bag, and they are a must-have for multi-day trips or when more than one member of the family uses the same bag. Liners make cleanup after camp much easier, and this is one of the best liners out there for the price. This liner will improve the temperature rating on your sleeping bag by about ten Degrees.

My review: weighs more than the drat Bivvy but feels almost as good as a silk liner with way better durability/price/thermal properties. I like it, it's very comfy and not terribly heavy.

Sleeping Pad: Big Agnes Q-Core SL Insulated Sleeping Pad - Wide Long

Big Agnes posted:

About this item
The most comfortable three season sleeping pad on the planet. Superlight and compact. Rated 15 degrees. Non self-inflating. - X-Static synthetic insulation with the natural performance of silver filament to enhance thermodynamic, anti-microbial and anti-odor properties - Alternating I-Beam construction creates a smoother, more comfortable feel - Durable, superlight nylon rip-stop top and bottom - Internal heat reflective polyurethane coating - Estimated R-Value of 5 - Valve: Durable inflation valve.

About this item
Features
Size: 25"x78"
Thickness: 3.5"
Weight: 23oz
Product Details
Department: Unisex
Manufacturer: Big Agnes
Manufacturer reference: PQCSLL13
Product Dimensions: 11 x 4 x 2 inches; 1 pounds
Shipping Weight: 1 pounds
ASIN: B00B9J1WDK

My review: :captainpop: That Price :captainpop: for my Wide/Long was the single most expensive item I bought for myself. :( I haven't slept out on it yet but it's comfortable as poo poo, and I got the optional carry sack / inflation sack for it, which is nice but not even close to $19 nice. Others love it, I hope to be one if them. If it's half as good as claimed and reviewed I'll feel less stupid for buying this. I'll feel really dumb if it doesn't fit inside my tent at 25 inches wide and 78 inches long. Find out tomorrow!

Tent: Eureka! Spitfire - Tent (sleeps 1) [https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQ8VIS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_rsw9ub0A0QWCN]

Eureka! posted:

About This Item:
The solo Eureka SpitFire tent has more headroom than most tents in its class, making it very easy and comfortable to sit up in. This two-pole hoop tent sleeps one person and includes a good-sized vestibule for extra storage space. It's also extremely well ventilated with large mesh panels--great for stargazing during summer trips. It has a large side door that makes it easy to get in and out of the tent. The bathtub floor keeps seams taut and high off the ground for superior protection.

The full coverage fly features a poke-out vent that's closable and accessible from inside the tent. Side release buckles attach the fly to body for fast easy set up. Only two stakes are required to secure the tent's body, and post and grommet corner attachments make set up easy. Other features include:

4 storm guyouts on fly
9 mm DAC Featherlite 7000 series aluminum frame
Inside storage pocket holds essentials
Flashlight loop
Tent, pole and stake bags included.
Specifications:

Area: 18.12 square feet
Vestibule area: 4.4 square feet
Floor size: 9 feet by 3 feet, 6 inches by 2 feet, 2 inches
Center height: 3 feet, 4 inches
Wall fabrics: 1.9-ounce Nylon taffeta w/1200mm coating
Floor fabrics: 1.9-ounce 70D nylon taffeta w/1200mm coating
Fly fabrics: 75D Stormshield polyester
Pack size: 5 by 22 inches
Weight: 2 pounds, 12 ounces

My review: this isn't a freestanding tent, it requires staking to stand up, and I just got it tonight so I haven't played with it much. It weighs as advertised, less with my MSR mini groundhog stakes actually.. Will wrote more after I've spent more time with it.

Hydration: Platypus water bladder system. It's a water bladder with a tube. Inexpensive, durable, and supposedly works. Not much to say here, the more thee things are on the market the more similar they all are to me.

Water Treatment: Sawyer Squeeze Filtration System, Aqua Mira Drops, and backup Iodine tablets.

Stove / cookware: Evernew Titanium Alcohol Stove W/ Titanium crosstand and DX stand and 3 Healthpro titanium pots / a pan. 1.2l, 600ml, and 200ml respectively.

I didn't pay for this nor did I import it from Japan, but someone with a lot more money did for me. My sleeping bag liner outweighs my cook system with cookware and utensils and fuel as a result. I would never be able to afford this kinda light rear end all Ti setup but I'm loving how light this stuff is. Plus I can use Alcohol, Solid Fuel Esbit type tabs, or even wood with this setup. It's pretty great. Boils 1.2 liters of water in a snow storm without a wind screen and only its cross stand on ISO alcohol. Just buy a trangia if you want an alcohol burner, but if you want to have a practically weightless space age indestructible setup that burns money as fast as alcohol go hog wild and get evernew everything. They make their own pots to but titanium is titanium as far as I can tell and the Healthpro pots look identical with a different logo. I do like this Evernew stove though. They're from glorious Nippon, and make ungodly nice (and expensive) titanium stuff.

In the electronics dry bag:
Anker E6 20k MaH battery
Anker E3 5k MaH battery
6 port 50W 10A USB wall charger
Ultralight USB chargeable portable AM/FM/Shortwave Radio
USB rechargeable LED headlamp / tent lamp
iPhone 5S with 4000MaH battery case
Kindle w/ 3G
(working this bags weight down, probably just taking one battery and ditching the iPhone's battery case which does add quite a bit of weight, and ditching the radio. But I do love late night paranoid talk radio on the shortwave :()

Odds and ends:
First Aid Kit
Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles
2015 AT trail guide by AWOL
Thermarest Compressible Pillow
5 gallon Collapsible Packable Camp Sink
CampSuds Liquid Camping Soap
2 ultralight self cleaning Nylon Washclothes
1 large microfiber ultralight drying towel
Ivation Portable Electric Shower w/ 2200MaH USB rechargeable battery
Small camp knife
(Need to weigh)

I'm still dialing in my clothing, but I was bored and decided to share.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 3, 2015

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Also: Any other goons thru hiking or section hiking the AT this year? A few of us from GiP are gonna be out there at various points, and a couple of us are attempting a northbound thru hike.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

suboptimal posted:

These look cool as hell, but they are way more expensive than they're worth IMHO.

Their three person tent is 19 loving pounds :stare:

15 pounds for the 2 person.

Those tents weigh around what my fully loaded pack minus water and food weighs.

:stare:

Those aren't... Light or cheap. What is their upside?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Terrifying Effigies posted:

"This portable treehouse deploys between three trees via three included 2.5 ton webbing straps equipped with heavy duty locking ratchets for a secure set up."

So effectively in addition to your expensive four-season tent, you also get to lug enough towing straps to haul a deuce and a half out of a ditch.

Jesus tap dancing butt loving Christ that's insane for a tent. I just can't wrap my head around where this products niche lays other than separating folks from their money and adding retarded weight to their pack.

It'd be nice for ATV or Car Camping I guess, at 1/3rd the price and half the weight but... Uh, seriously who the gently caress can justify needing any of those tents? You can more or less completely outfit yourself for the cost of some of those tents, and still come out lighter than their 3 person tent alone.

That's goddamn insane. If people sincerely buy these tebra I'm gonna start my own brand of high end expensive heavy impractical camping gear and sell it to dumb rich people. drat.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Tigren posted:

Ya, I can't believe any rich rear end in a top hat would ever buy some stupid rich idiot product like that!

*Posts $500 8oz ZPacks 1.5 Layer Cuben Guyline with optional Trekking Pole Bug net*

It turns out some people like to spend their money on different cool poo poo than you do. Not everyone's idea of outdoors is three weeks on the JMT. Some people like to just hang out in a weird tripod hanging tent thing.

I don't own a $500 anything for camping, and I certainly don't own a zpacks tent, dipshit.

Anyone buying one of those tents is either stupid and rich or stupid with credit card debt.

I have no doubts whatsoever that there are people who would love to buy those- and in fact do, I'm asserting that they're full blown idiots. Even if they're happy idiots with their purchase.

This being SA though and not GiP I forgot there was a tier one black belt autist waiting in the tall grass somewhere to make sure those retards' besmirched honor is being properly e-defended.

Edit: 20 loving pounds. Im sure it's fun at the annual boys scout jamboree if you can find the right trees but nobody should ever hike a 20 pound tent unless there was a bet involved.

Even for ATV camping these are insanely heavy. Though I'd imagine they're drat near indestructible for the cost and weight.

Still fully retarded though.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 4, 2015

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Tigren posted:

Now your name calling and general demeanor makes much more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

:allears:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Shine posted:

Please knock off the "Forum Rebel Raging Against The Forum Hivemind" bit and stupid slapfighting, please.

I'd like to apologize to the dude who voluntarily moderates the Somethingawful subforum dedicated to discussion of the fitness and fashion of goons for my disruption of this very special slice of the Internet.

I'm sorry, Shine. My bad, I'll keep it classy, respectful, and on topic.

:shobon:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
On the topic of backpacking..

I'm trying to plan out a good meals/food plan that's ideally not insanely expensive, but still tasty, filling, and light. I've seen the whole generic brand Grapenuts+Brown Sugar+Powdered Milk+protein powder+Water in a ziplock baggy makes for an easy 350-400 calorie breakfast that's really light and not terrible tasting.

Do any of you guys dig mountain house or other stuff like backpackers pantry? There's some clearances items out there I'm interested in- though if anyone has experience making all their food cheaply before trips I'd totally love to hear how you did it. I've got a foodsaver vacuum sealer and can get a dehydrator easy. Anyone ever played home food scientist and cooked up really good lightweight backpacking foods?

Also, anyone else using the sawyer squeeze system? Is it worthwhile to get a couple extra squeeze pouches? I read at a minimum a second squeeze pouch instead of the syringe was more useful for back washing. Anyone have experience on this? The syringe seems sturdy enough to me..

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Koivunen posted:

The longest we've gone is fifteen days without resupply, that was in Yosemite. Lots of jerky, protein bars, dried fruits (mango, apricot, raisins), oatmeal, pancakes, Tang, and instant stuff like mashed potatoes or rice sides. Our packs were heavy for the first few days but it got better. This is what it looked like before we opened up all the packages and transferred everything to Ziploc bags...

Since we had to fly to CA, we had bought our food, repackaged it and put it in bear cans, and sent all our stuff to the hotel we were staying at the night before we set out. When we got to the hotel around 7pm, we found our two packages were about 40 pounds lighter than when we had sent them. All our food and bear cans were gone, our first aid kit was gone, and some of our camping stuff was missing. We had to walk over a mile in 100+ degree weather to the grocery store and make some last-minute purchases. All the planning we had done had gone out the window so we had to buy things rather impulsively since we only had 30 minutes in the store before it closed. The above picture is the result. We will never mail our stuff again, especially since UPS claimed there was no report of anything going wrong with our package and we didn't get a refund even though we had insured our package for $400.

Usually when we go to the BWCA we are out for a week or so without resupply, but we are able to catch fish and pick berries too. We've never had an issue with being out for a week or more, and we don't buy fancy backpack-specific stuff, everything comes from the grocery store. Maybe our packs are a little heavier for the first few days but to us, a few extra pounds is worth not spending a huge amount of money on weird dehydrated survival stuff.

I'm thinking more along the lines of buying a large variety of mountain house / backpackers pantry freeze dried meals in 10# cans and keeping the cans in my bounce box I mail forward to my next re supply point ahead, and store them in some TIGHTVAC containers and baggies in my pack. Supplement with snickers/powerbars/protein/fiber bars and I figure I can supplement freeze dried meals with stuff like freeze dried onions, salt, pepper, Tabasco sauce, chili powder maybe etc.. Bringing out tortillas and bagels and hard cheeses and dried fruits and nuts that won't spoil quickly also stretches stuff I figure, along with stuff like cured/aged/smoked meat you don't have to refrigerate like some sausages, And honestly I'm hoping pack out some fresh foods to eat in the first day / two, from each re supply as well.

Is that an impractical plan? Calorie deficits are practical impossible to prevent healthily during long hikes, but I'm thinking/planning, hoping this plan minimizes the deficit and the day carry weight, and turns out to be satisfying as well. Looking at some re supply stops that are 5-6 days apart.

I like the price and the calories / grams / convenience on the freeze dried meals, and I like that I can pack them as small and compact and convenient as zip locks or use these silly vac tight containers too.

Planning out food for hiking when your stoned is probably not a good strategy though, :350:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 5, 2015

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

I think the permit system is an unnecessary, byzantine system that keeps many from enjoying the beautiful nature that God endowed us with.

I'm with you dude. gently caress the pearl clutching dipshits that somehow make hike planning into a false ethical problem.

The only unethical thing w/r/t hiking is any government or agency limiting access to public land. Particularly our wonderful national parks and trails.

It's not against the law, your gaming the system. People who are mad at others for gaming the system are either too stupid to do it themselves or too stupid to even think gaming the system is ok in the first place.

Either way stupidity is the one common denominator.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

TerminalSaint posted:

A lot of people over the years have felt that not being allowed to cut pine boughs for bedding, have fires wherever they pleased, or camp in sensitive areas kept them from enjoying the beautiful nature that God endowed us with, too.

After more than a decade working at heavily overused parks without quota systems I can assure you that inventing loopholes to bypass usage limits is not cute or clever, and any enjoyment you may derive from doing so comes at the expense of others.

Welp. Sucks for them. If you boys aren't clever enough to make a system that can't be gamed then it sucks for you guys.

Game the system dude, gently caress it man. Besides, your an American taxpayer- your entitled to use the land within the laws. And it's legal to loophole dipshit rangers parks rules and quotas. So that's within the law. Go nuts.

Just, ya know, LNT or whatever.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

:rolleyes:

gently caress you, got my hiking.

:)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Canna Happy posted:

I think everyone in this thread has cabin fever.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DholmbladRU posted:

Can anyone recommend a sleeping pad for someone who is both heavy(210lbs), and has wide shoulders? Im not a big fan of air pads, as they take a long time to inflated/deflate..

I'm 6'0 and 178. But I got some severe back problems, so I go for the biggest widest most cushioning sleeping pad I can get.

Your right, it can be slow to inflate but you at least want one of those pumps they make if your gonna use it a lot. The Big Agnes Insulatef Q Core SL in the Long/Wide variety gets my full endorsement. 5-10 minutes of extra work each time I pack out or in for a good nights sleep is worth it to me though.. HYOH and what have you. There's all kinds ultralight pumps to make inflating easier. And deflation ain't so bad.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DholmbladRU posted:

I filled up a q core sl by myself and it took a lonngggg time. I cant imagine doing that everyday on a thruhike. For a weekend trip it may be okay.

How long have you been using the pad for?

Not to long at all. I have a basic thermarest closed cell backup as well, since I have one of those camp chairs that are basically covers for sleeping pads with latches and straps that make a very nice chair to sit in. Weighs very little and if I'm not feeling inflating the pad one evening I just lay my camp chair flat and sleep on that. :shrug:

I did originally get the big Agnes brand pump to speed things up, since I knew it would work with the pad at a minimum bought sight unseen, It was alright, but I found a larger implementation of their stuff sack pump solution that works MUCH better. Essentially the pumps are just nysil stuff sacks with an opening acting as an output at the bottom with a pull cord to tighten the output around the airpads fill valve. They all work the same as any stuff sack.. Fold it 2-3 times down then clip the clips together. Squeeze for output.

The big Agnes one is essentially a 5l version.. I found a 40L version that fills the wide/long Qcore super duper quickly. I think the one I'm using was made for ultralight pack rafts or some poo poo, but works perfectly here in this as well.

Like I said, I got a poo poo back so I'm traveling with a super light chair and an inflating sleep pad. They're light as poo poo however, honestly. The closed cell pad/chair combo lashes to my pack and weighs as much as a closed cell pad, and a nylon twin sheet and some nylon webbing. I.E. Very little.

I'll at least be sitting comfortably in that dumb chair while inflating my stupid air pad though :)

I also bucked up and upgraded from that Eureka Solitaire! To the MSR Hubba NX one person tent. I needed much faster setup times, and that goddamn solitaire was claustrophobic ontop of taking more effort than I like to setup, and being questionable in severe weather according to reviews.. My trail partner SB's tent us setup and good to go in 10 seconds. Jealous of poo poo if that. And the price. Not jealous of the weight though. That dude is a pack mule.

We'll see how it goes. I'm positive some poo poo is getting changed or chucked along the way of AT 2015, I just hope I didn't completely biff my gear load out.

With the wife fully on board doing the meal dehydrating thing and ensuring I eat well on the trail with re supplies I'm officially excited. Eating junk food or super processed food for 5-6 months wasnt high on my "Yay!" List.

Update: We start in the upcoming days. I Hope to see any fellow goons hiking along the AT and say hi. Look for the odd couple and their border collie. We'll be obvious.

You'll be able to spot us easily. I'm Shim by the way, since OMG LOL PTSD PBUH might be a bit lengthy.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 27, 2015

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Noah posted:

I'm going to Zion for 5 days tomorrow. I'm so excited! Pictures on Thursday.

Sweet dude, Utah and Zion are on my list for next summer. Can't wait to see the pictures.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

gohuskies posted:

For what it's worth I have a pair of those Salomons and I really like them. With two sock layers I really have no problem with my feet getting wet even in all-day rain or light snow, they keep the feet warm, the inner sock layer can stick wick away sweat, and I feel like they grip well and are solid on rocks or scrambling terrain. If someone prefers something else, that's fine, but I really cannot complain.

I wish I had something more useful to add but I don't. This is my same experience, though they're not exactly dirt cheap. Which was my only real complaint, big they fit my feet nicely.

I wear a wicking liner sock and cushioned Darn Tough merino wool socks with mine and they felt like heaven on my feet even after all day uphill stuff.

I'm curious to see how they do once it's hot outside, however. But I have good luck and nothing but good things to say about goretex in my footwear.

:shobon:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
All the knife talk reminds me:

There were more Katanas on the AT than I had mentally prepared myself for.

I saw two loving Katanas being carried.

I don't think one left Springer Mountain. One is def up in the smokies right now.

You just know that there are more.

If it ever turns out that Autism is contagious I'm never using a shelter on the AT again, because there was also a lot of that on the trail, too.

Come to think of it I saw more Katanas than African Americans from Amicola Falls to Neels Gap. I saw even fewer Bears.

It looks like your far more likely to encounter Autism, Katanas, and even a minority, than Bears on the AT.

And yet nobody talks about Autism Shelters or Katana Canisters or whatever. Always fear of Bears and not Adam Lanza Jr. Humping N. Georgia mountains clinging onto his Genzeku like there's no tomorrow.

You can use bear cables for your food all you want but bear cables won't stop autistic ninjas. Especially if they're conditioned to human encounters already or if they think you might have pocky.

:350:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Saint Fu posted:

Another +1 to this. I found scissors much more useful than pliers. Moleskin and finger nails are tough to cut with knife.

Leukotape > Moleskin

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Levitate posted:

I used Leukotape for the first time on my last hike and it protected my heals pretty great after I started getting some hot spots. Would recommend.

I was handing that poo poo out like an Aid Worker on my recent hike and it was universally praised as better than moleskin.

Then again I'm fortunate and anal retentive and rarely get feet issues, but I was more of a jogger / runner before I ever did hiking recreationally (with years of fat assery and weed induced couch lock in between for transition) The book "Fixing your feet" was given to me as a rec a while back, and the preventative measures have worked miracles, and the book def thumbs up Leukotape. In the event of feet issues I'll go for lekotape before moleskin every time. I only carried moleskin bc you'll find some people who swear they get no benefit from anything but moleskin so.. :shrug:

Also hydropel type gels and creams are miracle worker levels of amazing if you haven't already shredded your feet with wounds. But by the time most folks think to use those kind of products they're already blistered or cut or have open wounds of some kind on their feet. Then it's really a bad idea to use that sort of stuff.

A lot of advice for running footcare is directly translatable to hiking, just different conditions and what not.

I did notice that a lot of people don't care for their feet at all, and they pay for it. If only knees were so easily remedied at home by ones own self as feet can be. :sigh:

My right knee is so beyond hosed. So, so, hosed.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Let's be real, you might not be an autistic ninja, but you're still thru-hiking the AT. You've been "that guy on the trail" more than a few times, or you wouldn't be up for the attempt.

More like section hiking now, but oh hell yes I was "that guy" a few times. Everyone is at least a few times.

I try to leave no trace but someone always catches up to me and has something from the campsite prior.

Not limited to: a Single sandal, my headlamp, and once: my spork. Thank god other hikers are kind, as I'm an organizational clown act and turn to Corky come camp time.

We also did the approach trail 1.5 times and stayed at the Max Epperson shelter thanks to "That guy" syndrome being so severe early on.

gently caress the approach trail 4 life though. Never again will I walk that many steps with anything approaching my retard starting weight.

If I ever make it to Katahdin I'm still going to be miffed about the approach trail, I suspect.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Knife people are the worst.

Well, the worst after snake people.

Though that particular Venn diagram is rather.. circular.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Levitate posted:

I usually just eat out of the cook pot

I'm always jealous of super organized fucks who just have to boil water, throw said water in a freezer bag meal, toss it in a cozy, eat it outta the bag and then pack out the trash w/o having to clean any GD cookware.

I seriously hate cleaning out my Ti cookware, and it's as non stick as my hairy fuzzy jewish rear end crack, unfortunately.

If you can master the freezer bag meal then hot meals are a treat with almost no asspain instead of a chore with a treat then more chores.

I just keep telling myself that ISOButane and methanol can't melt titanium, even if mild grade structural steels providence in such mild dalliances as a JP-8 fire is somewhat sketchy, and god knows what those organized pricks get eating boiled rubber maid bag meals for 6 months while I'm pissily using anything granular near the water source trying to unstick knoor rice from the bottom of my space age wonderfuck pot.

God loving drat you, titanium!

:argh::bang::argh::bang::argh::bang::argh:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

I'll believe something is completely waterproof when it guarantees it can be submerged for a period of time, which my Sea to summit dry bags (that use event material) don't.

I couldn't get my feet to like them, but I found legit completely waterproof boots a while back:

http://www.altaigear.com sells some leather/super fabric combat boots that aren't bad at all.

If they work with your feet they're pretty drat remarkable boots, I just have particularly wide feet and those boots are korean as gently caress.

But their poo poo is legit water proof.

Like stand in a bath tub, for hours, still waterproof. And ice doesn't like forming on that super fabric poo poo so they handle slosh in winter without becoming as ice caked and nasty as other, similar, boots.

Also those boots are surprisingly light for how goddamn tough and durable they are. I'd have to check to be sure but I think my Saloman 4D GTX's weigh more..

Shame they wouldn't work with my feet though. They were pretty cool boots, otherwise. :(

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Also I bought my Altai boots through Amazon for the exact same price as through their site, but when I wanted to change sizes it was way easier doing Amazon prime returns than wading through the engrish filled hell of Altai's phone support last year.

They may have improved by now, but back then their store took your CC but wasn't an https://site just a plain unencrypted web form, or a paypal link.

So if their site skeeves you, just hit Amazon. They're a legit company with legit products, their marketing and online / retail presence just seems to be super janky and Korean as all gently caress.

Great boots, if your feet like 'em, though.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Those look interesting. I wear vasque summits that are super heavy, so not only are those lighter but they're better it seems. Weird that the toe is leather yet still waterproof somehow?

That's a polishible and extremely thick leather toe, and the vibram outsole is sort of outsized over the lip and what have you. It'd make sense of you were to hold them- the tongue is a simple single non-perforated piece of super fabric stuff.. The speed lacing system doesn't have any holes in the tongue for water to leak through.

Water literally has to come in from over the top, which is pretty high being combat boots and all.

I really can't overstate how light these things were, despite being full length waterproof combat boots and not $200 f'ing dollars.

They're pretty :stare: worthy if your feet take to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
That toe is seriously a tough rear end thick hunk of waterproofed and polishible leather. You can high shine those fuckers with kiwi wax and get a true goose stepping backcountry alpine experience if that's how you hike. Plus you can keep the kiwi wax to do black face in camp like me.