Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

stealie72 posted:

Never going off-trail seems boring as hell, with the exception of environmentally sensitive areas, of course.

So true. I live in NH and have done plenty of trails in the state. Whenever I leave the trail it's to follow along the stone walls that cross all over this area.
It's always fun to come across old decaying homes from the early 1900's
and long forgotten cemeteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Something like this maybe?

http://store.griffintechnology.com/survivor-waterproof-case-for-iphone-5

It's a little expensive but seems to not obstruct any of the phones features.

Personally I use one of the clear phone sizes dry bags. Though I don't use my phone for anything but calls when I'm on the trail so I'm not sure if that would help.

-CHA fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 25, 2014

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Teton chat :)
I'm going to be heading out there in May. Hopefully I won't run into any issues with closed seasonal roads and can get at least a few miles of trails in without any hassle.

I'm actually heading out that way for a graduation in Idaho then winding my way through Montana, Wyoming and then Colorado. Hoping to get to visit a bunch of the state parks along the way.

Any recommendations for trails?
I know that I will be going to Lolo National Forrest, Yellowstone, Teton and Rocky Mountain National park. Might make my way to Glacier National park if I have the spare time.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
I mainly just do day hikes. I think an average hike for me would be about 4 miles round trip. Unless of course if I am heading to the White Mountains then I average close to ten.

My wife is actually from Missoula, she was going to take me up Mount Sentinel to the "M" though I may want to go farther up that trail. Looks like there will be some nice views. I wouldn't be able to do any of the more strenuous trails since she isn't that big into hiking.

As for Lolo, My wife has a friend out there who is going to be renting a cabin for a night or two to head out an enjoy the woods. I'm not sure what part yet. Though I figured that if I saw some areas that looked nice I may persuade the vote to camp closer to them.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

jamal posted:

Oh ok, well definitely go all the way to the top. The m doesn't take very long. Then if you're near lolo, lolo peak would be a good one. It's 9000 something ft and one of the taller things around but the trailhead is at 6k.

I might check out Lolo peak just to say I've hiked a 9k.

So far the tallest thing I have hiked was Mt. Washington at 6,288 ft with 4,600 of elevation gain.
It would be nice knowing that when I go up Washington again in July that I had done higher mountains.
Might make the Hell Mile not seem so bad :v:

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Thanks for the input guys :)

I'm pretty much expecting to have to deal with snow.
I figured that once I'm out there I can always rent whatever equipment that I would need.
Mainly snowshoes.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Siivola posted:

Oh, and bring water. I'm a thirsty sort so I drink about a litre per hour. All that water and clothing meant I could barely fit in a mess kit to cook in. I guess I should get a water bladder instead of these unwieldy bottles and canteens.

I've found that since I've started using a water bladder I have been drinking less water. I think it's because taking small sips every few minutes makes me feel more hydrated than basically chugging from my bottles whenever I felt thirsty.

Though, I have found that aloe juice is an awesome thirst quencher. It's a drink and a snack all in one :yum:

On the subject of what to bring, I would recommend an emergency whistle if your pack doesn't already have one built in.
You probably won't use it at all, but it's better have one just in case.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Gun chat aside, I'm now pretty curious about what the chances are for running into dangerous wildlife.

I've done a great deal of hiking in the northeast and never had any encounters, and have never felt the need for bringing something like bear spray.
Not saying that there isn't a chance it could happen though. When it comes down to it, I'm way more afraid of encountering a moose than any other animal in my area.

I'm guessing that there are a number of you who stand a greater chance for encounters because of your location.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Colonel J posted:

I can see a small axe being much more useful than a big knife.

Against a moose? Nah, I think that would just make it angry :v:

A small 1.5"-2" folding knife is usually all you would need if you are just doing a day hike.
I rarely use mine, when I do it's usually to cut some para-cord or in the off chance it sort of works in helping remove ticks.

Anything larger would pretty much just add weight without adding usefulness.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

UglyDucklett posted:

Have you ever wanted to hike the AT with a conga line of bears behind you? Eno bacon scented hammock coming soon :toot:

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/blog/introducing-the-bacon-scented-doublenest-hammock/

That's awesome :v: These joke products are the best part of April Fool's day.
Now we just need an emergency whistle that sounds like a distressed animal .

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Verman posted:

Same goes for a black bear. Stand your ground and get big. Open your jacket to seem bigger.

This also works well against wild turkeys. The turkey population has been growing quite large up here in NH, It's seemingly impossible to spend some time outdoors without running into a group.

Anyway, less than two weeks before I head out to Lolo, Teton and the Colorado Rockies.
I will hope to have some great trip photos to share. This thread needs more photos.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

jamal posted:

Bring snowshoes if you plan on going higher than like 5k feet. And let me know when you're in the Missoula area, I can suggest some trails depending on what you want to do.

Thanks man :) I'm still not sure what area I'm going to be camping in but I'll post an update or PM once I do.
My wife's friends haven't been very good with this whole communication thing. I will most certainly be open for any recommendations as I will be looking for any reason to be getting away from their screaming children.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Time Cowboy posted:

I'm a bit sick of all the hiking areas around here (NYC area). I've been hiking Long Island, southern NY, and northern NJ for about three years now, and I'm just craving something different. Different rocks, different plants. I almost convinced myself to drive five hours to the Pine Creek Gorge in PA today, but in the end I settled for ho-hum ankle-twisting AT stuff in High Point, NJ. It's so overdeveloped it makes Bear Mountain seem like wilderness, but it was a nice walk, and my very first state summit!

I've been having the same problem as you with seeing the same thing wherever I go. The only way to make things interesting is choosing the type of terrain I want to go on.

If you're looking for something different you're close enough to the Whites to make a weekend out of it.
Sure, they can get pretty brutal at times, but the views are amazing :v:

Standing on Boott Spurr looking at Washington.

Overlooking Boott Spurr and the top of Tuckermans Ravine

There is an AMC hut somewhere out there.

I can't seem to find my Lafayette pictures anywhere. Oh well, will just have to take more this summer.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Save me jeebus posted:

I went on a trip last year with some friends, and another acquaintance did a pretty nice spread of couscous with dehydrated vegetables and tinned chicken.

Going to second the couscous. It's very easy to change up with spice mixes. A couple of small spice baggies take up very little room and weight and are very easy to make.

A personal favorite is garlic and onion with a pinch of lime salt. Plus whatever dried vegetables I happen to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Finally arrived in Missoula late last night and got word that were going to be camping at Lindbergh Lake today. Snow looks like it will be a factor in what I'm able to hike out there as I'm without any proper gear for those conditions.
At least I can still do Sentinel. Should be a nice morning walk.

I did however get to take a nice romp through Craters of the Moon in Idaho. The lava tube caves made that a well worth while trip.