Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to hiking, but did a decent amount at Zion and a bit at Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon a couple years ago, and am going to Yosemite soon. I need new shoes though, and am wondering which of the shoe types in the OP would be the best for me to go with.

So far I've done shortish hikes (5-8 miles or less) of varying difficulty using just plain old sneakers. For example, I hiked about 6 miles in my partial day at Grand Canyon, and at Zion did Angel's Landing (5 miles) among others. The plain sneakers have ranged from less than ideal in the former case to probably pretty dangerous in the latter.

I'm not sure if it would be better to get trail runners, boots, or the minimalist shoes that I didn't even know about until I saw this thread. It's worth noting that I thought Angel's Landing was kind of crazy and probably won't do something similar any time soon, so I'm mostly just planning on medium difficulty hikes of short to medium distances. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks for all the input. Since I'm mostly doing shorter hikes and as a result my bag is pretty light, I'll go ahead and start looking at some decent trail runners.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I've been doing relatively short hikes for a few years now, but the only real gear I have for that purpose are the Peregrine trailrunners I got last year. As I start doing longer hikes in different climates, it's probably about time to figure out other parts of the clothing equation. Starting with: jackets.

I have exactly one jacket that I've worn on every single hike I've done. I can't determine exactly what model it is, but it looks similar to this one. For something I never even planned to hike in, it's worked pretty well. It's quite insulated, so I tend to wear it alone over a t-shirt when the temperature is in the upper 40s to 50s, or over a light fleece in the 30s to lower 40s. Problem is, it's definitely too warm for the summer, and when there's a temperature change in a hike and I need to take it off, I really can't, because my daypack would need to be almost empty to fit it.

So, first things first, I'm looking for something for the summer (specifically in a few weeks), when it's too warm for the above jacket, but I still need some protection from wind and light rain. I started out looking at lighter models of the above style of jacket, and then even lighter, until I realized that I should probably be thinking more about layers and how things will fit together when I have a larger range of gear.

What jacket or set of jackets would you guys suggest for warmer weather, and how might they fit into a more complete set later on?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
What's the general consensus on Outdoor Gear Lab? Is there a similar/better site I should be checking?

Related to that, I'm looking for a good midlayer fleece. The impetus is that I'm going skiing for the first time in 15 years and likely won't go again for another many years, so instead of buying a ski jacket I plan on wearing a fleece under a lightly insulated shell. Of course, it will be useful to have for hiking as well. The above site loves the R3, and I've seen it mentioned (alongside the R1) elsewhere a lot too. Do you guys think that's the best choice? Any other recommendations?

I wish I could at least go try it on and see how it fits, but it's not carried by any store near me, including several Patagonia stores.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any opinion on the Arcteryx Camosun?

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=us&language=en&model=Camosun-Parka#opi2519430096

I'm looking at it for a snow / wet jacket. I need something I can wear without a waterproof shell over it. Main use for cold snow or sometimes rain, but lighter activities like snowshoeing.

I like the fact that it's usable in wet conditions, and isn't massive and baloony.

gohuskies posted:

You don't need a $650 jacket for around town.

Funny you guys should bring this up. I'm actually looking for an around-town parka, and looked at that one because of the above glowing review. I liked it a lot, but yeah, too expensive. Any suggestions for something similarly warm and not bulky that's like half the price?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I actually prefer hiking mountain summits and ridges (open ridges are my favorite), and I like facing my fear (in a somewhat reasonable environment). I guess it gives me a deeper sense of accomplishment. The trail I posted in the picture above with the cable didn't bother me at all. Even in that Clifftops picture where I was sitting didn't bother. That said if I got any closer to the edge I would of crawled to it.

Edit: That said I live in the Knoxville, and our valleys are not like the valleys out west. People populate every valley they can.

I can't believe that people drag young kids up that trail. Honestly my biggest fear about the trail is having my own kids up there (16 and 18). It is the feeling that I'm giving up control of their safety. Yes after watching the video my first thought was to be first up that morning. I am just going to have to give it a lot of thought.

I did Angel's Landing with my wife several years ago, and it was the first somewhat challenging hike either of us had ever done. Like you, I'm also kind of afraid of heights, notably when right next to an unprotected ledge. I'm not gonna lie, it was scary, but I think that was mostly due to our lack of adequate gear. We didn't have hiking shoes at the time, just regular sneakers, and it was cold, so we were wearing gloves that had no grip. That said, I was more afraid of my wife falling than myself. It didn't help reading about the fatalities at the trailhead. The view, of course, was amazing though rather hazy at the time, and we certainly felt proud if not a little insane upon making it back.

I would have been much more comfortable doing it in safe gear, and I think if you have said gear you'd be frightened in areas but ultimately fine. I'm not sure that would have alleviated the concern of seeing my wife fall, though, and you may have that same reaction regarding your kids.

edit: It might be important to note that your photo with the cable is not really comparable. Angel's Landing is much narrower, steeper, and rockier. Also, the "cable" for the most part is actually a bigass chain, which may or may not be more difficult to grip for small hands.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 11, 2017

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

nate fisher posted:

If you are hiking the Narrows from the bottom up in late May, do you really need to rent canyoneering shoes plus Neoprene socks? We normally wear Tevas or Chacos (open toe) when hiking in creeks and rivers in the east, but it sounds like that is a no go in the Narrows? Maybe a old pair of tennis shoes? I am not sure how far up we will go (maybe Orderville Junction), but any advice would be appreciated.

liz posted:

The Narrows was the one big thing we didn't get to do while in Zion, but at lot of people we talked to coming out of it said they were glad they rented the shoes/socks since it can get slippery in spots...

I can't comment on late May, but I hiked the Narrows in October several years ago. It was definitely slippery and the current was fairly strong in places. I almost lost my footing while crossing the river a few times, and my (much shorter) wife fell in more than once. And that was with the boots. Granted, that was our first time hiking in a river, so maybe you'll be fine without them. You're in the water quite a lot though, crossing back and forth more times than you can count.

Of course, for us, the water was far from warm, so the socks and pants were pretty important to have. I'm not sure how much higher the water temperature is in May.

Definitely get as early a start as you can manage. We didn't get quite as far as we wanted before having to turn back. It gets dark quickly down there (and the rentals have a return deadline).

edit: Your itinerary is very similar to what ours looked like, Bryce included. You'll have a great time.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 22, 2017

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I'm looking for a lightweight rain/wind jacket for around $100-125 for the following uses:

- short intervals of moderate rain during full day hikes (not backpacking - if there's heavy rain in the forecast I just wouldn't go)
- general wind protection at higher elevations
- very occasional short trail runs
- 10 minutes of heavy rain if I get caught by a sudden storm in the summer walking to/from work without an umbrella

On the rain jacket side I've looked at things like the OR Helium II and Patagonia Torrentshell. These seem like they would provide adequate rain protection but I've read they aren't as comfortable to hike/run in when it's just windy. I've also tried the ever popular Marmot Precip but I'm a small guy and it was just too baggy, even with a fleece underneath (I'd actually prefer something slimmer than the Helium/Torrentshell but didn't find anything else).

I've also looked at water resistant windbreakers like the Rab Windveil and Patagonia Houdini. These are obviously better for wind and running, but I'm not sure if the water resistance would be enough. On the other hand, if I decide I eventually need a heavier Goretex or similar jacket, these would still serve a separate purpose.

Any thoughts or recommendations on these types of jackets? Thanks.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I need a shirt to wear for hiking in 60-70 degree weather, preferably long-sleeve for extra sun and bug protection. I've seen a lot of collared button-downs, but I'm not a big fan of those and would like a regular crew instead.

I got the North Face Warm not long ago for colder weather and skiing, but I'm pretty sure it'll be too much for the summer. I've seen the midweight Capilene mentioned a lot, but I'm guessing that's too warm too. Maybe the lightweight version, although it didn't fit me quite as well. Any recommendations?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I have Prana Stretch Zions also and like them a lot, although I do wish they were less baggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Hiked the Franconia Ridge Trail last week, which was cool. Being in not-great shape, it was honestly a bit much... used all my energy on the three ascents and could barely make it down by sunset.

Anyway, I did it, and while visibility was poor most of the day, I ended up with a few decent shots: