Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

n8r posted:

You might want to look into running Strava on your phone as a cheap solution. Put it in airplane mode can help extend battery life.

This and spend some of your precious backpack ounces on a battery pack. They work pretty great and are useful for multi-day hikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My two cents: I have a camelback 3l bladder that I've been using for 4-5 years that works perfectly. I am kind of envious of that osprey magnet though

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

As long as you're not in a lot of brush/etc., nothing beats hiking in thin tights. Great for sun protection, great for sweating, great for keeping the breeze off you.

If you think you look dumb, lose weight.

What about wearing a codpiece?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I dip my feet in sap before I hike. Trail runners are for novices.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I read the OP but honestly don't want to search through 200+ pages of this thread when I'm only gonna be doing a teensy bit of hiking. Anyway, I'm going to Israel for a couple of weeks and we will be doing some small scale hiking (I don't think we are doing Masada) but a lot of walking. My feet are super sensitive (bc I am a fat goonette and put a lot of weight on them) so please recommend me best pair of shoes for this situation.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-fat-tire-gtx/pid1262064

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

OSU_Matthew posted:

What, are those the michelin man's shoes?

They look super comfy though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What's with all these fancy boots. What happened to one piece leather uppers with beeswax to waterproof?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've read that you can leave it in, and I have left it in, but if someone has contrary evidence please come forward and school me.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just read through every recorded bear fatality in north america in the last 50 years. Always good to do before a long hike by yourself :P

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Ropes4u posted:

Where can I find that information?

Just on wikipedia, no idea if it's exhaustive, but it seems close maybe based on other articles I read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

This article breaks the info down a bit on black bears in particular. Interesting stuff:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/a-few-surprises-in-decades-long-black-bear-study/article579472/

quote:

Nine out of 10 times, the victim was alone or with only one other person. Improperly stored food and garbage was a likely attractant in 38 per cent of the incidents, but there was no evidence a black bear killed to protect a carcass, which has occurred with grizzly bears. In all cases, researchers found that bear pepper spray was not deployed as a measure of defence.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I grew up in a place where black bears and grizzly bears were common. I'd have black bears come right up to my front door and sniff through the screen. I've come face to face with them and never had a problem.

However, my dad has worked in forestry for most of his life and he has some sketchy stories about black bears exhibiting predatory behaviour, stalking people, and so on.

Deaths are super rare, but it's still a scary thing, haha. My favourite one is this one, that I remember hearing about at the time:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/nyregion/black-bear-kills-rutgers-student-during-a-hike-in-new-jersey.html?_r=0 posted:

The friends told the police they scrambled to get away from the bear, all running in different directions. Four of the men later found one another, and they called the police to help search for their missing friend, according to the authorities. Mr. Patel’s body was found about two hours later.

Doing exactly the wrong thing. It's so unlikely that a bear would attack four people standing their ground. Really unfortunate.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

black.lion posted:

Sorry if this is the most tired question ever, but are there any hiking boot brands that aren't super ugly? Mid-top with simple/minimal design if possible, I'm generally not doing more than 6 miles at a time but sometimes off trail which makes sandals/sneakers problematic. Bonus points if there's a color other than "brown or neon something"

Here are some "pretty" and simplistic boots.

https://www.rei.com/product/104732/merrell-wilderness-usa-hiking-boots-mens

https://www.rei.com/product/852414/danner-mountain-light-ii-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

https://www.amazon.com/Scarpa-Mens-Kinesis-Hiking-Ebony/dp/B005LCP0MA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472314594&sr=8-5&keywords=scarpa

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Can you have sex in a hammock?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I remember reading a hiking article ages ago about a mouth operated horn, but I can't seem to find precisely what was described which was something that produced a very low tone like a fog horn basically. Closest I've found is this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0019...oYVL&ref=plSrch

Anyone have any suggestions?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

bongwizzard posted:

So it looks like nymph ticks can burrow through wool socks. Would like calf high pantyhose keep them out? Does anyone make calf-high pantyhose?

Maybe if it was soaked in permethrin. Same with your socks, though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

So 2 weeks from right now, I plan to be most of the way up a mountain on my first overnight hike. Can you guys tell me if I'm preparing right?

Basically, I plan on a big breakfast where we drink a lot of water. In our packs we'd also have 4l of water, 2l per day. I was thinking of around 10000kj/person in stuff like trail mix, fruit, bread and maybe some sandwich meat and cheese if I can make it keep. We'd want coffee in the morning so I was thinking we could premake that and buy a cheap little gas stove off ebay (any suggestions) and warm it up in the morning. Any other ideas for good easy stuff? Does the amount of food sound good? While we've all been camping plenty, we've never done anything where you can't go back to camp for food if you run out.

We were thinking for shelter at night we'd tie a rope between 2 trees and make a tarp triangle. I do own a small tent though it obviously weighs more and is more effort to setup.

Does it sound ok or like a recipe for disaster.

Where is this mountain? The end of September under a tarp could be cold. How many people are going? You could split your tent between multiple people to carry less weight, unless you're all fending for yourselves. What if it's windy and raining? I am sure 2400 calories a day will be fine for just a two day hike. I take instant coffee on the trail, since it's easy. One teaspoon of powder is basically a cup. How long is the hike? 2l of water might be fine, might not be depending on the distance and the temperature. Take more if you plan to cook with it, obviously. I am sure someone has a suggestion for a cheap stove. You could make an alcohol one (see youtube) if you want something small and simple, or you could just get a reliable light-weight camping stove that runs on white gas or compressed gas canisters.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hungryjack posted:

Oddly enough, I came face to face with a bear (ok, it was 20' away, but still) on HST and my friend and I just stopped, took photos, and made a whole bunch of bad bear puns while watching it eat berries and wander off. That bear could not have given a single gently caress about us being there. Grizzly country may be a different situation, but on JMT, I don't think you even need bells.

I guess some people are nervous about bears and maybe bells make them feel better. That would make sense to me. But I find bells annoying as hell and I could never wear them on my own pack or hike with someone else who did.

To be fair, the reason you don't want to come face to face with a bear is because it might be a mother bear with cubs and that's a dicier situation.

I think it's best to avoid getting close by making a reasonable amount of noise as you hike, whether it's by talking or breaking dry branches every once in a while. It's definitely less of an issue if you're hiking with a group.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Rime posted:

Me and the guy in all those snow pictures were wearing trail runners. :black101:

my feet hurt

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, poles are key on mucky, muddy, slippery hikes. They allow you to go full speed even if your feet are slipping all over the place, like on wet roots etc. Going down steep hills they are nice too, allowing you to go quickly and save your knees by 10-15% according to the study I looked at when i first debated buying poles.

They are actually very nice going up steep steep climbs as well, like bushwacking up a mountain. You can plant a pole above yourself and pull yourself up.

All that being said they are kind of situational, you won't be using them all the time, especially on the Appalachian Trail. You can get really light ones cheap though and carry them or hang them from your pack.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Yooper posted:

I can second using the MSR Pocket Rocket. Mine is stuffed inside of GSI Pinnacle Soloist cooking pot and fits pretty good along with that mini shammy thing MSR gives you. That thing keeps it from clunking about. In regards to coffee I usually pack instant coffee because a french press is a mess to clean with all those grounds. Though I do pack an Ikea french press on occasion because the coffee is usually worth the effort. I just hate cleaning the grounds.

I have a GSI Dualist (has two bowls and two "mugs") and it's great. Perfect for camping with another person. The plastic sporks are flimsy and have ridges that gunk loves, so plan on getting a better utensil, but other than that I am really pleased with the setup.

Instant coffee is the way to go. There is some yummy stuff out the these days.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the best way to forward-mount a GoPro to a backpack?

Are you opposed to just using a chest strap?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Aniki posted:

I'm a new hiker in Scottsdale. The trails around me are rocky and can be fairly steep at times. Are trekking poles worth getting, if so should I start out with something cheap or is it worth while to get better ones like these? I do have some past knee injuries that I've fully rehabbed, which haven't been a problem so far, but there have been some steep/slippery bits of trails where extra support would be nice and possibly allow me to move faster.

Go cheap, imo. Buy a decently reviewed $30 pair from amazon. Poles are great in any situation where there is slippery trail or mud, or steep uphill/downhill. I've been using a pair from amazon for the past year and a half and I did bend them when I fell in some mud, but they still work fine. They are made of aluminum. I had a pair of carbon fibre ones and one broke in a dry stream bed. You won't always use them, but you'll be really happy when you need them.

And get ones with flicklocks, not twist locks, or whatever you'd call it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Poles really are situational, but if you can fold them up and strap them to your pack (i usually just slide them inside my daypack and they poke out a bit). I'll bring them one hike and wonder why I brought them, and the next hike I'll leave them behind and wish I had them.

I was hiking with a search and rescue dude a little while ago and he said he stopped using poles because he wasn't paying attention to where he was putting his feet when he used them. I find this to be true, but not a knock against them. I noticed afterwards that when I was walking through the forest over slippery roots I would just step on the roots and let my feet slip and slide all over because my poles were keeping me steady.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

bongwizzard posted:

There might be, but even guys who are trying to hunt them rarely encounter one. We also have coyotes now I guess but again, they are still so rare that I have never even seen tracks or scat.

There are tiny revolvers that weight like 4-5 ounces and a box of 50 shells weighs like 6-7 more. Even a little .22lr has a report that carries really far, even more so if you use supersonic ammo. If no one knows I am in trouble, the gunshots might get someone to call the police/wardens about poachers, if there is a SAR group looking for me, I kinda think three quick shots repeated a few times might get their attention as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0019...oYVL&ref=plSrch

This item is very loud.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
That thing is a horn. A very loud horn. Just fyi.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Levitate posted:

123% of snowpack now doesn't mean it'll be that way all winter. Too early to say how good the snow year will be

The better reason to go in August is fewer mosquitos

Also don't use flares in dry forests

What about hot shells when I'm letting off on my machine gun in an emergency situation?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Atticus_1354 posted:

That reminded me of this video. Dude is so happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC8gJ0_9o4M

lmfao, so good

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
If I am hiking with some pussy with sore feet who is going slow and may be injured, I just put him down with my trusty 9mm.

but that's reasonable advice about easing into things a bit

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Rime posted:

We have a warm front moving through right now and my mind can't stop saying "we should go hiking this weekend!".

No, brain, there is 700cm of snow on the mountains, it'll be a few months. :cripes:

I feel you. All the snow is melting where I am in the southern Okanagan(not on top of the mountains of course), and I have ants in my pants.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

What (if any) type of smart devices do you hike with? I currently just have an Android phone but I'd like to start logging my hiking routes, distances etc... Being new to the scene, I really don't know what type of features work well for hiking.

I just use my phone. I've used an iPhone, but now I have a Moto X Pure, and I use an app called Endomondo which has a nice web interface and a decent app. It allows you to track hiking, running, biking...kayaking. Almost everything you can imagine. If I am backpacking I might bring a battery pack with me so that I can charge my phone, but if you just turn Endomondo on and don't use anything else, and turn it off when you stop, it should last you a couple days, depending how long you're hiking for.

You can use a blue-tooth heart rate monitor if you're interested in that kind of thing. I've used a cheap one I bought on amazon with the app and phone, but usually just for running.

Here is an example of the web interface:

Lots of data to dig into for multiple workouts, for weeks, months, years, etc etc. The android app is quite good as well. It's free, but there is a premium version that allows you to compare your data with other people, broken down by gender and age-group and so on. There might be other premium features, I can't remember off-hand. It's $20/year.

edit: Here's an example of some aggregate data for the last year:

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 22, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've hiked thousands of km and lots of multi day hikes and I've never had any chafing. It's always mysterious to me when people bring it up.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Levitate posted:

I wish I had an entire summer absolutely free to backpack as many places as I could...start further south, hit places like the Grand Canyon and other desert hiking I haven't done, work through the mountains and do some stuff in Oregon and Washington I've never done, etc.

Oh well, one day when I'm retired...if there's anything left to backpack

when you're decrepit and retired, smh

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry, I can never go without osprey AG(TM) technology. Just rob me.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

Trying to up my distance little by little. Just set a new PR with a 6.5 mile hike (1200ft gain) right outside of Denver. It's currently 65 F with zero snow in the foothills which is awesome.

Also, being new to hiking, what is the etiquette when meeting people on narrow trails? Does the person heading downhill typically have the right away, or the person heading uphill? Or does no one really give a poo poo either way?

No one cares either way, in my experience, but inside my brain it makes sense for the person going up to defer to the person going down because they will likely move by faster. What usually happens is whoever gets to a part of the trail where they can easily stand aside first is the one who stands aside.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Sure, if you're doing some technical hike then giving the right of way to people going up makes sense. It doesn't seem like a big deal otherwise.

Like someone else said, it's often a good excuse to rest.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I sing loud Russian opera music while I hike and no one can stop me.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My dog is a sweetheart that loves people, but who turns into a murder dog if another dog approaches her. When an off leash dog runs up to us I'm very tempted to let her off leash and yell "kill! Kill!"

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Dogs: It's almost like the ones that don't really need to be on a leash are the ones where the owners properly keep them leashed when legally required.

Dogs are good things. If I didn't live in an apartment and have mad skills drying out plants, I'd think about a doggie hiking companion.

When I was hiking Saturday, I came up with a question for the dog owners: Does your dog get bored with routine trails? I go to some of the same places frequently. Some people can't take it. An amusing thought... What if I had a hiking doggie that got all depressed not going to a "new picture place :supaburn:" every weekend.

vim, and vi keys for the shell.

There is a trail near my house that's a 6km hike with 300m ascent that I hike almost every other day to stay in shape and walk my dog and she is pretty excited every time. There is definitely more excitement on new trails with new smells, though, and it's enjoyable to watch.

Edit:

I don't get sick of it either though.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

What's everyone's go to solution for coffee while backpacking? Instant? Tea bag things? Please help :coffeepal:

I've used caffeine pills before and various instant coffees and I finally found one that is better than a lot of coffee. It comes in a glass bottle, which i transfer to a plastic one or a baggy, and you can get it at Walmart for five Canadian dollars. Nescafe espresso instant coffee. It's really good. It's very fine, as opposed to traditional instant coffee. Mix it with hot chocolate mix for a treat.