Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigDB
Mar 21, 2013

theonlypie314SA posted:

I liked that Owari not only had more to say in this update, but it was actually helpful. I'm starting to like her a little more and hoping to see more of her in the future.

So here is a sketch of her:

larger version

I really liked how proud of herself she was when she was told that she was right. Bonus points for her for the reaction. Also, I really like the drawing, well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MiyokoBlade posted:

Pfff...that would be an appropriate execution. However, remember that Monobear likes to play the irony card, and tie the execution up to match the person's ability. Since Hanamura's a chef...kitchen accidents?

There are no accidents. :nms: I guess

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 2, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Took a bit longer then I expected but here's some .gifs

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

This is precisely what I thought of when I read that post, too. You can't forget a thing like that. It's a great ad campaign.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nothing that can happen to Hanamura will be as bad as this.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Something about the level of detail in the hand relative to the rest of the art style makes it really creepy, like it belongs on a much older guy. It also looks like he's trying to do a "pull my finger" routine.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

No matter how many times I keep watching this scene, I feel that the next counter arguments will be even better, compared to the previous ones that were shown before.

mangoman321
Apr 10, 2009

Spatula City posted:

Also, I think, but I'm not sure, that I mentioned that the portable stove could be used for a light. I at least figured that out a while ago. The fire doors, though, that's one thing I think nobody got.

We definitely talked about the stove as a light, but the discussion was complicated since none of us were exactly sure what the stove looked like and how well it would function as a lamp. The operating assumption was that Hanamura was already under the floorboards when the lights went out so that navigating through the dark wasn't needed. Since we weren't sure about the light, I don't think anyone thought to consider that Souda would have seen it, and as such never thought the fire doors would be used as evidence to disprove that. We thought the fire doors were unknown to Hanamura and would be used as evidence to disprove he had access to certain rooms.

Overall a minor thing for the thread to miss, though the fact that we missed something in the first case is a sign of more complicated things to come. I think the only thing that was never figured out (by at least one person) pre-trial in DR1 was the arrows being tied together to form a bludgeon in case 5/6.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I really hope "you've got that wrong" will continue to be a staple of Dangan Ronpa trials, at least for the rest of DR2.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
So for Hanamura hiding under the floorboards... is it possible that he never went to the kitchen at all? That is, after he left and before the blackout, he just went straight into storage and under the floor?

I mean, all his stuff could have been there, and he would have known where the "killspot" would be because the portable stove was already on at the right spot.

Sorry if this point has been said before, I just thought it would help with the time frame issues, since it's a fairly long walk from kitchen, to closet, to under Togami.

There is the issue that he could have his alibi busted from not being in the kitchen, but he could have responded that he was just in the toilet at that time. (I know Peko disproves that, but he wouldn't have known about that before the party)

Nefarious Asparagus
Aug 7, 2009

Indubitably, old bean.

I'd never seen this before and was waiting for it to be funny. :stonk:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Aside from the fact that I only noticed this update that the girls and guys are alternating, I like how Hanamura's seat is between Sonia's and Peko's, the two girls he openly hit on.

Given that Hanamura is prety much in the coffin now, I'm just wondering how the group dynamic is going to change now that there's been a successful murder and Togami isn't there to shepherd them around anymore. Especially given characters like Tanaka and Saionji, who will probably just end up doing their own thing by themselves.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Paracelsus posted:

Something about the level of detail in the hand relative to the rest of the art style makes it really creepy, like it belongs on a much older guy. It also looks like he's trying to do a "pull my finger" routine.

I noticed that, too. I think the bony looking hands is the artist's way of changing it up a bit with the classically unwholesome features that keep popping up with Nagito's... sprites? Nice of them to do something besides shadowed eyes. He's creepy in so many different ways now. :stare:

Athar1007
Oct 11, 2012

Faction Namer

SingerOfW posted:

At the beginning of the trial, I was glad that Hanamura is the prime suspect so the rest of the cast gets to live for another chapter, but by now, I kinda like him. Those food allegories were kinda cool, not to mention that they made him feel like a SHSL Chef, not SHSL Creep.

Hanamura is SHSL Cook, not SHSL Chef. That being said, I reckon his punishment will play on this distinction.

I'm re-reading the trial and I'm taking note of Hanamura's expressions. At the beginning of the trial, he's nervous, but no less and no more than everyone else:

But, the moment the "Togami was stabbed from underneath the floorplans" is put forth and confirmed, he silently panics:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

mangoman321 posted:

The operating assumption was that Hanamura was already under the floorboards when the lights went out so that navigating through the dark wasn't needed. Since we weren't sure about the light, I don't think anyone thought to consider that Souda would have seen it, and as such never thought the fire doors would be used as evidence to disprove that.

Someone (I think it was slowbeef) definitely came up with the idea "Since Souda went out into the hallways, isn't it weird he didn't notice anything suspicious?" after the first update or so, but we hadn't worked out the murder as much yet, and by the time we did I think people had forgotten about that line of inquiry.

It's weird, though. Souda shouldn't have left the room until Togami was already killed, since the murder must have happened in the middle of the lights-out and he left near the end. Why would Souda seeing Hanamura be an issue at all in that case? I mean, it doesn't change any of the fundamental logic of the case, but it's a really weird thing for the game to ask the player to solve.

I guess it could have meant "why didn't he see anyone coming back after the crime", but that's a weird interpretation. It wasn't super crucial for Hanamura to have used a light to get back into the kitchen, whereas it was important for him to have a way to find the hatch in the dark.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 2, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Nefarious Asparagus posted:

I'd never seen this before and was waiting for it to be funny. :stonk:

They were PSAs in Canada back when I was a kid, so you'd be watching some cartoon and then..

Bellmaker posted:

Put an :nms: tag on that holy poo poo :gonk:

They were on during Saturday morning cartoons. :colbert:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 2, 2013

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

Bellmaker posted:

I agree, please do this! That scared the everloving poo poo out of me. :gonk:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Krinkle posted:

Also I just noticed I recognize [Gundam's] voice actor as Ronove from Umineko. That's a cool rear end voice.

I keep hearing him as Ragna the Bloodedge from BlazBlue instead.

I'm also glad that Mikan's showing more initiative in pointing out contradictions. I'm really interested in seeing how she develops from here on out.

Also, I'd like to echo the sentiment of Nagito's "You've got that wrong," being creepy as gently caress. :stonk:

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Bellmaker posted:

you know, the related videos must have softened the blow for me, but I might still have trouble falling asleep tonight :gonk:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I calculate roughly a 90% chance that, rather than the kitchen-accident idea, any execution of Hanamura would necessarily involve him having some cooking method applied to him anyway. Baked in an oven or boiled in a pot or impaled on a spit or something. Nice job mentally scarring a bunch of people, though :v:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 18, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I kinda hope Machine Gun battle doesn't come back since it wasn't really anything other than a shoe-horned in rhythm-like game. It just...I dunno, it just didn't fit at all and is better covered by the new minigames introduced in this game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Skunkrocker posted:

gently caress YES! I love these movi-

...oh, wait, this isn't Final Destination. Still, it was kind of cool! I love how graphic it got in the end.

Let's get back on subject though. We didn't see Machine Gun Battle. It's probably going to be in the next update, when they confront Hanamura and he starts insulting people. Are there any other mechanics from the first game that were NOT introduced in this 'tutorial' trial?

That's kind of a pointless question. There's no spoilers, at all, and that includes game mechanics. :v:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Color Printer posted:

I kinda hope Machine Gun battle doesn't come back since it wasn't really anything other than a shoe-horned in rhythm-like game. It just...I dunno, it just didn't fit at all and is better covered by the new minigames introduced in this game.

I also couldn't even understand it. You hit circle except sometimes you hit triangle and it has literally no "here's what's coming next" indicator like DDR or guitar hero scrolling down so I have no loving idea how he decides when it's time to switch.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 18, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Krinkle posted:

I also couldn't even understand it. You hit circle except sometimes you hit triangle and it has literally no "here's what's coming next" indicator like DDR or guitar hero scrolling down so I have no loving idea how he decides when it's time to switch.

MTB isn't very complicated. There's no indicators on the dots because you can choose what button to press; the dots are just, here's where you press whatever you're going to press.

The rest is just, lock shoot lock shoot or whatever, plus additional complications as they get introduced (like reloading). It's like Patapon, kinda. You have to maintain a consistent rhythm while putting in a variable button sequence.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Skunkrocker posted:

Um... I wasn't asking for spoilers. I was making sure there were no other mechanics from the first game I forgot about. Sorry, I must not have made that clear.

Scanning statements mid-trial to create new Evidence Bullets hasn't shown up.

taniada
Feb 19, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

I see two ways for this to play out: Either Hanamura was prepared to kill somebody, with advance knowledge of when the blackout is occuring and a murder weapon ready. Or, it was a crime of the moment, and he was under there to peek at the girls when he saw a chance to pull off the perfect murder. Either way, in my opinion the culprit is pretty obvious at this point, it's just the exact details of the execution that's still unknown.

I think he must have been prepared to kill someone / went into the crawlspace with the express purpose of murdering (although it's unclear who his real target was, or if he had a specific target -- it seems logical to say that he knew Nagito was planning to murder and he decided to murder Nagito first, and just accidentally ended up killing Togami, but there's no way of knowing for sure just yet).

But if he was just in the crawlspace to peek up girls' skirts from between the cracks in the floorboards, why would he bring the skewer with him? It seems like the only reason to bring the skewer in the first place would be to attack someone from underneath the floorboards (assuming the skewer can fit between them).

Also, I'm assuming he brought the skewer with him when he entered the crawlspace, rather than it just being randomly under there. I mean, I guess it's possible that it really was missing when Hanamura first got to the kitchen and it had been in the crawlspace all along, and he just happened upon it. In that case the murder would be opportunistic rather than premeditated. But still, it seems like a stretch to say that the skewer was already under there...

Of course, judging by his character, I can totally see him taking the opportunity to look up girls' skirts while he was under there. Even if that wasn't his primary motive, it's definitely something he would do anyway.

taniada fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 2, 2013

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
It's weird to me that Togami was (allegedly) stabbed eight times with a skewer and didn't produce any noticeable noise. Wouldn't most people yell or otherwise express their displeasure if they were being murdered?

VV Edit: Sorry for bringing up old news then. Hanamura is still guilty as hell, yes, but considering the type of game this is the lack of noise caught my attention as being potentially being relevant to the case, rather than just an oversight. v:shobon:v I think the game could've easily snuck in some unidentifiable thuds or pained noises while the power was out and the audience would have been (or at least I would have been) none the wiser. Everybody would've attributed these sounds to the characters stumbling around in the dark and moved on.

Kaasen fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 2, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Kaasen posted:

It's weird to me that Togami was (allegedly) stabbed eight times with a skewer and didn't produce any noticeable noise. Wouldn't most people yell or otherwise express their displeasure if they were being murdered?
We've been through this. If he was stabbed first in his lungs then they would be punctured and he wouldn't be able to make an audible sound. Ibuki's hearing is good, but even she has her limits. Plus it wouldn't really be a twist that Togami died if we heard him screaming in pain during the sound clip.

In any event, it's inconsequential whether he screamed or not. The game is clearly pointing to the murder being done under the floor and Hanamura being the culprit as speculated. The game isn't perfect in every single thorough way and that's just something you need to deal with. I don't think Togami making a sound or not as he was murdered changes the fact that the culprit is glaringly obvious.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Nothing that can happen to Hanamura will be as bad as this.
I'm not entirely sure if that could be the case, really. What if he ended up going through the same punishment as Leon did in DR1? (Of course, you'd need to substitute knives, forks, and skewers for the baseballs to fit his talent.)
Also holy Christ that video is terrifying. Any bit of me that ever wanted to be a chef just changed its mind.

SnakemanMn fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 2, 2013

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
Not sure how it's possible to think of anything else during this exchange...

So, Hinata-kun! How about a little one-on-one with me?!

O...One-on-one...? Is he... enjoying this...? Is this a game to him?

poo poo! I can't lose to someone like him!

Can't wait to see the final breakdown comic. Hope it hasn't changed that much, I always liked how distressed/sinister the identity-less culprit looked in them.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

This sprite is like :haw: personified and it gets less and less fitting to his voice acting every video.

I don't think this will ever stop being amusing to me.

Edit: And just as I post this it gets even better. That's great, thanks for making it

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 2, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

CaptainFish posted:

Not sure how it's possible to think of anything else during this exchange...

So, Hinata-kun! How about a little one-on-one with me?!

O...One-on-one...? Is he... enjoying this...? Is this a game to him?

poo poo! I can't lose to someone like him!

Can't wait to see the final breakdown comic. Hope it hasn't changed that much, I always liked how distressed/sinister the identity-less culprit looked in them.

If you can't Super High School Level Slam with the best, then you can jam with the rest.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

W.T. Fits posted:

I keep hearing him as Ragna the Bloodedge from BlazBlue instead.

He's one of those voice actors thats in just about everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZYTiyLO180

Joseph :syoon:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

muike posted:

If you can't Super High School Level Slam with the best, then you can jam with the rest.

I think this was posted the first thread, but it's probably worth posting again.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I just realized something, guys. We've all assumed that the missing skewer was missing because someone hid it to murder with... what if that's not the case? What if the skewer, like the devildog earring, fell through the crack? Li'l dumpy crawls under the floor during the party, maybe for peeking up girl's skirt, maybe to look for the skewer, maybe because he's psychic. Either way, he finds the skewer, and the lights go out. Notices the glow through the cracks of the floor, sees the knife, and takes the opportunity to get his stab on. ditches the skewer, runs for the storage room, and hopes that nobody figures out what really happened.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Captain Bravo posted:

I just realized something, guys. We've all assumed that the missing skewer was missing because someone hid it to murder with... what if that's not the case? What if the skewer, like the devildog earring, fell through the crack? Li'l dumpy crawls under the floor during the party, maybe for peeking up girl's skirt, maybe to look for the skewer, maybe because he's psychic. Either way, he finds the skewer, and the lights go out. Notices the glow through the cracks of the floor, sees the knife, and takes the opportunity to get his stab on. ditches the skewer, runs for the storage room, and hopes that nobody figures out what really happened.

That doesn't explain the bloody tablecloth, though. I had thought it might be a crime of opportunity too... but it's looking like this was definitely fully pre-meditated by Hanamura... even if Nagito is to blame for most of the set-up that allowed it to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.
Yeah the tablecloth to hide the blood implies that it was a premeditated crime - he'd have to have brought it under the floorboards with him in the first place, which he wouldn't need to do for any reason other than keeping blood off himself.

• Locked thread