Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Volt Catfish posted:

I know nothing, but the one guy is totally Togami wearing a fat suit...or something.

This is going to be the greatest thing :allears:

My first major impressions with this cast was "OH MY GOD FAT TOGAMI" and also my second and third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

One thing I will say about the character design so far - it's a lot more obvious they used Maizono as a base model, there are like three characters who look remarkably like her.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Wyvernil posted:

I'm guessing Fat Togami isn't actually the Togami from the first game, but his son. The resemblance of the new cast to the first game's characters might be intentional, and there might be other descendants of the survivors of the first despair game around. For instance, the white-haired guy in the hoodie does look a bit like a mix of Naegi and Kirigiri, doesn't he?

I'm hoping Fat Togami is a completely different character unrelated to Togami and with no knowledge of who he is, and the fact that he looks exactly like an obese version of a character from the first game is never acknowledged.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm really interested in what Sonia Nevermind's SHSL skill is and how her character arc develops, from her demeanor so far and the Western name connection, I think that she's being set up as DR2's anti-Celes.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I think they're setting up Nagito to be disposed of early too much for it to be anything other than audience misdirection. Along with playing the same role Maizono did at the beginning of the last game, he's got the same positioning of an ominous red design on a white shirt thing going on that Leon had in the first game and during the little intro video, he had to split his intro panel with Teruteru.

There are too many signs going out that he's going to be leaving early that I think they have to be red herrings.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I have no idea how some of these characters are going to be able to interact with each other. I really hope we get to see how Mahiru would have a conversation with like Nidai or Gundam Tanaka.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I really poorly phrased the point I was trying to make yesterday - I'm worried about Mahiru's prospects for survival because from her introduction she doesn't seem to be able to coexist with the Ishimaru-types that are demanding a high degree of respect and deference. Gundam, Nidai, and Kuzuryuu all fit the bill so far, and fat Togami probably will too. Hinata and Nagito seem to be pretty good at playing along with everyone, and Mahiru was flipping out at them. When Monomi turns the pressure to kill on, yikes. I hope I'm wrong about that though.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Gundam's swimsuit coming with a matching scarf is pretty much the best. I'm not too surprised by Monobear coming back, but Monomi apparently not being in league with him is really confusing me

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Twiddy posted:

This is true, protag's already commented on her power of persuasion. However, assuming that she's actually as sheltered as she's letting on, she might not know how to use it. Looking at the last time she had that pose...

It seems that she wanted the characters to have their own will on the matter. However, she commanded them to have their own will. To me, it looks like someone who has no clue what they're capable of, which can be very dangerous.

I'm reading it pretty much the opposite way. Being royalty means living around a royal family her entire life, so she's probably going to be the most adept to managing all of the egos that SHSL skills entail. Defusing the tension between Mahiru and Togami there was a pretty impressive move, and she's the only person so far besides Nagito (I think) to try and actually reconcile clashes that come up instead of either escalating them or staying out entirely.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

HelloWinter posted:

My two choices are painfully obvious.

This update and this great picture are shooting Gundam and Sonia even further in front of the pack as my two favorites so far.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Fedule posted:

Kirigiri's "reveal" was great. It's, like, an un-reveal. The game is basically given away early on, but then the mid-game throws so many ridiculous twists at you that you start thinking ridiculously. I mean, I was *convinced* Kirigiri was really Mukuro Ikusaba, and then a load of crazy stuff happens and then Kirigiri walks up and says "Of course I'm an SHSL Detective, you moron."

Man, I felt dumb. I love it when games manage to make me feel dumb.

The more I think about it, the better the Kirigiri fakeout gets. She and Celes were the two most interesting characters to me in the early chapters, and for the entirety of chapter three I was just thinking "They're really doing something this obvious?" and got super bummed about it. In chapter five, between all the game's focus on her gloves, her mysterious past, the appearance with the masked figure, and the sudden disappearance I was thinking "They're doing this again?" Then the anti-reveal was like an authoritative "Nope, just messing with you."

Valkama posted:

I really dislike this new Togami. Also I doubt he will die with the story focusing so much more on Sonia and Souda at the moment.

I wouldn't read too much into focus on who lives/dies, in DR1 we didn't really get a lot of Leon before the first murder or until the trial and they could totally flip the Leon/Maizono dynamic (lots of early focus on the murderer, not that much on the victim)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Monobear's claiming not to know the person that's not supposed to be there pretty definitively rules a Junko comeback out unless somehow Togami's a part of two classes at the same school.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is based on Pinocchio and Ibuki's nose thing is based on Pinocchio as well.

I couldn't help but see Jughead in that sprite, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Two things stuck out to me in the update:
- I really hope Tsumiki ends up spotting vital evidence in a murder and people being grateful to her about it or something, it's really sad seeing her walked all over so much. She's getting the same treatment as Monomi, but doesn't have the option to leave and doubles down the negativity on herself.
- Nagito's dead as hell, I can't imagine someone who comes up short drawing straws in a murder mystery surviving very long.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

This has probably been said, hopefully, but two things: Thank you, Fedule, for making that poll off-site.

Second, I am really disappointed in the leading choices. SHL luck and SHL heir, the characters that are practically identical to characters from last game. This would be a good time to talk to SHL Gangster. He's the only character except SHL heir who's been acting with any kind of autonomy, he's probably going to be involved in the upcoming murder somehow. So this might be the last time to get any extra perspective (beyond all his "I am so tough" talk) on him before he's dead.

Togami just announced he was holding a huge party on murder island and Nagito literally came up short drawing lots. I'm guessing people want to get a free time event in with someone who they think's about to be murdered (since Mukuro/Chihiro/probably someone else had effectively bonus content toward the murders in their last free-time events) and those are two pretty good choices.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I really hope Sonia's acting at face value because she's behaving like the most responsible and empathetic character around - that's how you play for survival in a situation like this, establish that you have no incentives to kill and make sure you're not giving anyone a reason to target you.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm kinda curious how someone gets killed with whatever's in Chekov's Duralumin Case while Togami's carrying it around.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

tiistai posted:

I didn't expect Mahiru to call herself "not that smart".

Yeah, Mahiru's my prime suspect right now just because of how out-of-character that whole exchange seemed, plus the argument she had with Togami about who should be leader at breakfast. She was the first to volunteer to guard the body and nobody said there necessarily should be multiple people doing the guarding beforehand, maybe there was something minor she wanted to tweak before Tsumiki/Ibuki volunteered to go along with her.

I'm so glad this isn't another mondo obvious 11037 case.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

She already described Novoselic in a way that has to mean Liechtenstein, so German.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Oh come on, chapter two was great - not particularly for the mystery element, but it fleshed out like half of the cast as complex characters and set the perfect atmosphere for the rest of the game of "Everyone's got something interesting going on under the surface and anything can happen."

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Well, that knocks Mahiru out of consideration for me - I can't imagine she'd take the photos that close to the timer-planned AC thing, if only because more uncertainty would benefit a murderer.

I guess Teruteru's my prime suspect now - I think the skewer through the floorboards theory makes the most sense, so it's limited to the people who weren't in the room. Kuzuryuu hasn't been accounted for still, and I bet he's going to be holed up in the bathroom, which should be an alibi unless you can get under the floor from there. Chiaki brought back Monomi, so that's an alibi. Between Peko and Teruteru, I don't see Peko not getting back to where she was supposed to be stationed if she's trying to get away with a murder (although maybe it's a 11307 thing, it'll depend on what her story is when we talk to her) but Teruteru yelling out the line about the power outage not just being in the kitchen bugs me - it's a separate room and he's nowhere to be found immediately after the lights come back on.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uh Hanamura was around he popped back up after coming back the from the Kitchen and freaked out about Togami's death. Peko I just Don't see doing the crime. Nagito hase quite a few things that make me suspect him and Kuzuryuu is no were to be found but I believe he was hiding in the bathroom. (Peko could have also gotten into the bathroom in time so quite)

No, go back and look over the day - when the lights came back on, he wasn't around. After people split up and explored/looked for Togami/found Chiaki and Monomi he was back to freak out at the body's discovery.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

slowbeef posted:

Can we just outright reject the "I'm hiding under the floorboards and just kinda hoping someone falls so I can stab them" theories?

It's patently ridiculous. If you went to the trouble of planning the timer air-conditioner to trip a fuse, and plant a knife with glow-in-the-dark tape, you are not gonna leave "I hope someone falls!" to chance.

I was actually kicking around the idea of Kuzuryuu hiding under the floorboards doing recon on the big party while Nagito was cleaning - he gets there before Nagito, steals a skewer for future use, and lurks around under the floor. He sees Nagito planting the knife and doing a test of the air conditioner circuit overload (a separate and distinct plan), and gets a rough idea of what Nagito's planning. When the lights go out, he can set up so he can just thrust the skewer through the crack under where the knife's taped up, and he stabs as soon as something blocks the glow-in-the-dark paint - look at how the knife's set up, someone's going to have to get under the table to tear it off. Someone's not going to flip over the table, rip the taped-up knife off in a visible way, and then stab someone.

I think the two-murder theory's right if only because there are two distinct hidden weapons, and I don't think the game would go the route of "there's an accomplice but they don't know that they can't win like this" again since that was lovely the first time. The skewer person (I'm saying Kuzuryuu now because nobody else could be in position like that but Peko, and she drew attention to leaving) could probably predict someone would be going under the table if they knew about the knife ahead of time.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Indecisive posted:

If he was stabbed from below then it is likely that the blood would have all gone directly down, not splattered around on the tablecloth. On the other hand, with that much blood everywhere it's INCREDIBLY unlikely that anyone who was in close quarters under the table would have gotten away clean, so I think anyone who was seen soon after the lights came on is unlikely to be the killer; the distraction of that clumsy nurse may have given them time to clean themselves on the tablecloth though.

If you've ever had a nosebleed or dealt with blood at all, I can't imagine how you'd think someone would be able to get themselves from bloody -> totally clean with a tablecloth. I really doubt anyone who was in the room when the lights came back on stabbed Togami.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

It's too early to give up on the floorboard theory. The lack of an external entrance just clears Kuzuryuu - the skewer missing and all the attention drawn to the gaps in the floor under where Togami's body was + the blood not being anywhere else would be pretty hard to justify otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gundam finds a way to get down there in the next update or two, probably somewhere really close to the kitchen. I'm pretty set on Hanamura with Kuzuryuu out of the running, there would have to be like a trapdoor in the bathroom for Peko to get under the floors.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

orenronen posted:

Honestly, if any of the new cast is similar to Leon, at least with their general attitude and mannerism, it's probably Souda.

Agreed on the comparison being ridiculous, but I was thinking Ibuki here - she hits the "self-assured smugness" part of Leon a lot better than jumpy, nervous Souda.

slam5000 posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't think those meat skewers looked small enough to be 5 millimeters?
They definitely look thin... but 5 millimeters is about the size of the numbers on a credit card. (the amount they stick out from the card itself) That's REALLY thin. Maybe I'm just crazy, but the meet skewers don't look that thin to me. I'm pretty sure any meat skewer that tiny wouldn't be able to hold any meat without snapping in half, or wobbling all over the place

Think about the alternative here - is the skewer a total red herring and a previously undiscovered and unmentioned giant needle or something about to be introduced in the trial?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Alien Arcana posted:

Nidai is awesome, Sonia is awesome, Hinata is awesome... this is really a great collection of characters.

Also I just had a thought. The big flaw with the "skewered from below" plan is that it relies on the idea that someone just so happened to be lurking under the dining room when Togami crawled under the table, right? Why would anyone be down there in the first place? Pulling off a murder from there is such a long shot.

Well, what if the person wasn't down there with murder on the mind? What if they had another motive? Can anyone think of a character who might have ulterior motives for prowling around beneath the main hall, staring up at the partiers? Partiers that include... girls? Some of whom are wearing skirts?

:fsn:

Why would Teruteru have brought a skewer down there and why would he be motivated to murder someone if that was the case?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

We're getting a lecture on humanity from a girl who was killing literally every animal she saw as soon as she stepped on the island?

Yeah, she was killing crabs! How dare she judge someone for directly trying to murder one person and indirectly trying to murder fourteen more, including herself!

Saionji's continually proven she doesn't care about how she's perceived personally, so I don't really see taking a stand against Hanamura as posturing or anything. Outside of Hinata and Nagito, she's probably the single most trustworthy person to not murder someone. Right now (and I'm predicting for the rest of the game too) she's totally justified in her stance toward Hanamura.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

RentCavalier posted:

Oh good just what this thread needed a definition of moe

I'm still unclear about curly and larry though

Unless something drastically changes in the next few updates, I think Nanami's a pretty safe bet to stay alive - they already killed off the most vocal and focused-on character in the last chapter in Togami and they won't want all of the storylines to work with in the next chapter to be one-dimensional ones like "Kuzuryuu hates everyone" or "Gundam's in his own world" - I'm kinda hoping Nidai's next, he just seems sort of shoehorned in so far. My best guess is that Nagito gets loose and either Nidai or Souda end up dead and Nagito's an obvious red herring again.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think there was a horror movie that looked like this. :stare:

And it seems like Saionji is still pissed at Kuzuryuu, so there's still some conflict among the group. Perhaps that will lead to the next murder.

Different color scheme, but there are a few surgery scenes in Dead Ringers that look kinda like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gdgkfIZdN0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I hope they keep pulling increasingly unlikely fakeouts about deaths to a ridiculous degree. Nagito gets an entire robotic left half of his body, Saionji's decapitated but revived on a Wolfenstein Mecha-Hitler body, Souda's a brain in a jar that communicates through morse code, etc.

• Locked thread