Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Fedule posted:

Her habit in Japanese affects pretty much every line she has... but only at the end. So it's not inconceivable that I might have been overdoing it. The question is this: Is Usami speaking like that deliberately? Because if she is, then I've got leave to have her only do the "w" thing on words she's emphasizing. So, in your case, she could correctly pronounce "very" before "sowwy", but still maintain her "fwuffy bunny wabbit" line from earlier, because she's deliberately varying her speech.

The early DR1 updates changed a lot as the characters came more into focus: I'm not averse to doing the same here.

I also feel like Usami's dialog is a bit thick with the mechanism, but I can see how a tic like that would be difficult to translate into a low-context language like English. Is there a way to do it without altering the phonemes she expresses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Einander posted:

Yes, but that's boring. I prefer to assume hints are hints instead of mischievous devs.

That's the construction of expectations that they can then gently caress with. I prefer to assume this is all intentional, expecting that the player has some experience with DR1, so that they can then expect what you will expect to some degree that they may then gently caress with you.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

theshim posted:

Unlikely as the Despair of the group, if there is one again.

Ohhhhh there's no way the dead supermodel could be the villain of this game!

I agree with you though, I doubt they'd do something so seemingly unlikely again. Since we're immediately aware of 16 students, I'd go so far as to say whoever is behind the students' transplantation to this desert island is not one of them.

theshim posted:

I'm also getting slowly creeped out by Nagito. He's so friendly and open and yet some of his lines are getting more and more morbid...

Ridiculous hairdo aside, Nagito's personality isn't so eerie to me. He, uh, reminds me of myself, which isn't something I often say of fictional characters.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Spatula City posted:

any sane mystery afficianado would probably peg her as a likely murderer based on how mentally unstable she appears to be

Well, look at you, Mr. Judgmental, pegging characters that have only really shown themselves to be extremely, incredibly, painfully shy and poorly-socialized as unstable.

We know jack poo poo about anyone and are barely into day 1, c'mon.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Also, Super High-School Level Coach? This guy needs to survive so he can meet Sakura, those two teamed up together would create something to behold

But she killed herself. Unless there's a Super High School Level Medium And/Or Seance Guy around, in which case :confuoot:

The photographer shares some character traits with Aoi, in an odd way; like a less ditzy, more artistic incarnation. I'm not sure I want to peg everyone in 2 as mashup characters, though.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

To retread old ground for a moment;

dog days are over posted:

I really like how all the characters have their own symbols, even if they don't really play a part in the story of the game. Our protagonist's symbol caught my eye;

If you mirror it (and use a bit of imagination) it looks like a skull, doesn't it?

I wouldn't read too much into that though since like I said their symbols never really meant anything in the game. I just found it neat.

If you look at the full image:

Pay close attention to his breast pocket. That heart+key symbol is, I think, what his tie's design is a component of, not a skull.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I thought that as well, at first, but the one on his shirt lacks the outer highlight line. With the heart symbol, it's small enough to where I can tell that there is internal detail to the body of the heart, but not what that detail is.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

You seem very upset by word choice here!

You seem like a native English speaker. If you're not, you use it very well. How many words can you think of, in this language, that convey that the listener is deficient in intelligence without being a massive insult?

Also!

Fedule posted:

Please be advised: We have heard enough about "boke". Thanks!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I've noticed about Togami's behaviour: he seems more willing to talk with others this time around. This time, without Naegi, he has taken the initiative to attempt to unite people, instead of locking himself in the library like in the previous game.

njsykora posted:

Well we don't know if there's a library yet.

Also there aren't any dead bodies for him to be artistically arranging and posing... yet. All that's left of Monomi is her bow.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

^^ He's kind of petulant, really. But yeah, he definitely has a lot more dialog because he hasn't just sat there thinking "Should I tell this person this important fact? Nnnnnooooo... I'm just going to go fart around in the changing rooms!"

Antivehicular posted:

(If he somehow does end up as Hope, it's going to be an interesting ride to get there.)

Naaah, he's clearly SHSL Chronic Dissent.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

HelloWinter posted:

My two choices are painfully obvious.

I'd like a ticket for this train. My vote as well.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

The only fanfiction I've personally seen someone punished for was that... pokemon thing, from like 2009.

As far as DR0 goes, I'm on board with Ryouko being some sort of SHSL analyst. I imagine she and Matsuda make quite a pair, if that's the case.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Why? He has his own voice acting.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Only a few pages ago? We've had SHSL Shitposting happening since the first update.

Something about Dangerous High School Tropes In Trouble brings out the weird/dumb in people.

e: For topicality's sake, the last time Ibuki's thigh was brought up, the conversation ended on a note akin to "i dunno lol". We'll find out if she talks about it at any point, otherwise, assume it's cosmetic.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

It's a joke from a DR1 4koma comic. Naegi and Kirigiri discussing the heroine of the story, Kirigiri insist's "it's you, Naegi-kun."

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

Some things that may or may not count as evidence include the state of the floor,

I don't see how you could discount the state of the floor as evidence considering how many characters talked about how hazardous the gaps in the floor were during the initial phase of the party. It may be a red herring but I'm leaning toward 'no'.

It's a bit early, since we haven't done any investigating yet, but I have every confidence the floor's state will be evidence.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I like all the suspicion that's being cast on Nagito, particularly because he's... kind of shady and has had all of this opportunity to set the stage for an opportunistic murder in the dark. I think he's 'the Togami' of this game, personally - perpetually suspicious but likely to never be guilty.

I have nothing to back this up and it may be proven otherwise once the investigation phase begins, but I suspect the bathroom was locked from within and someone wriggled through the floorboards to move elsewhere.

It was mentioned that the crawlspace is probably entirely filthy, and this seems likely to me - so, if we find evidence of a quick change or quick cleanup then it'll be all the more obvious.

Of course, we have very little to go on right now, so saying that you're convinced a character did it is really premature. We have some observations and that's it.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Wow, stabbed eight times. The killer must have been pretty emotionally-charged when Togami was stabbed, even if it wasn't personal.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

That is one incredibly phallic-looking evidence bullet. Almost like it's trying to overcompensate for something.

No it's not.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Zandar posted:

Ha, that actually makes me think of the cook. He'd have access to plenty of aprons, and it probably wouldn't be too suspicious if one of them were blood-spattered. Quick to change out of, too.

There's getting blood on your apron from really fresh meet, and there's getting blood all over your apron from the ludicrous amount of murder blood in Togami's murder body.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

tiistai posted:

I'll take a break from spamming the thread with fanart now, but have this clothing fold practice. I pretty much overdid it but whatever.

This is pretty good but you're pushing these folds way too far. This is a heavy garment designed to obscure form of figure, it wouldn't pinch like that, especially not where you have those hard, hard creases.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I really hope something like this comes to light during the trial's comic assembly phase:

The joke came to me while I was wrapping up a couple of things for my finals and I had to spend a few minutes sketching it out.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Ern Malley posted:

So I could very well imagine that the dancer girl would be quite unkempt and disheveled after five (or so? However many days have passed) straight days of wearing the same outfit.

That's not really what I was talking about. Having the folds be such a sharp dark colour when there's already interior shading using more appropriate values makes them stand out way too much, especially with those really sharp-angled edges. Fabric bunches very organically, usually, you tend to get more curvature in its folds.

e: If it helps, my commentary on any and all goon art is intended as critique, not criticism, just in case that doesn't translate well.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 14, 2013

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Western theatrics does have a big focus on the motility of the face, too, what with favoring overexpression and makeup and masquery to convey things when delivering a line.

I think you're right, it all comes back to theatre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Falls Down Stairs posted:

"Peko" is pronounced closer to "pay-ko" than "pee-ko". The latter would be written "Piko".

In many languages aside from English, "P" is said "Pay".

• Locked thread