Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
...Holy poo poo. I find the DR2 thread and discover Togami apparently opened his own chain of KFC-restaurants between games, from the looks of him. Col. Togami has a nice ring to it, though Goongami's making me chuckle.

Holier poo poo, a kendo girl, too! Man, I hope she turns out to be awesome...

But.. um... did *anyone* else think the chef was a girl at first? There's at least three or four characters in this mix whose androgyny could mean there's a whole *pack* of Chihiros on the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Renzuko posted:

I'm calling cross dresser now so that in 150 updates when this character is dead and someone grabs their crotch to reveal that he is actually a woman, I can be all smug and quote myself.

Pinstripe McBuzzcut is totally a girl, I agree. Hell, the first thing I thought to myself was "Girl!" when I saw the picture, and it's all cause of the eyes.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
To be honest, I really hope Col. Togami there isn't original recipe Togami and is a new character. But I REALLY hope the pale hoody guy isn't Naegi even more. Mostly to keep the DR 1 ending/message of hope intact because it would be kinda lovely to bring back DR1 staples only to kill them off in the practice of the "Dies in the Sequel" trope.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Son Conan posted:

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy!:dance:

So, apparently Togami has decided to cosplay as Nero Wolfe. Well, with him, Detective Conan, and "Frances" York Morgan around, the criminals don't stand a chance.

Huh. I wonder if in some way this is significant, or if it's just a little nod. It'd be loving awesome though if *all* the characters have some sort of reference to a detective hidden in their character.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Regarding the designs, I actually like quite a few of them.

But for me, while I can see the re-hashing of designs from DR 1, it's not that that bothers me, it's some of the color schemes. Would it have killed anybody to have changed some of the girls' colors? Three of them have very light/pale blond scalps that are far too close to the color of Junko's hair for crying out loud.

EDIT: ...Wait. *what* furry?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
The resemblance is uncanny, but that's a girl, I'm telling you. ...Also... isn't buzzcut here on the New/Load Game screen next to Hinata?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

slowbeef posted:

You're right, that is weird. I think they all sorta woke up inside, and Fatgami seems to confirm it... except he previously says "Why don't you come into the room?" which would mean, yeah, our hero was already outside when he said that?

Hey wait... that is kinda weird. I was thinking something is up about Hinata and it's more than just him being outside the classroom.

Though why didn't the SHSL Bancho bum rush the open door if he'd tried prior to leave?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I'm not convinced that Col. Togami Sanders and Nagito are returning contestants...yet... but for my speculation dollar, I'm more willing to wonder how much more difficult the future murders may be to solve since this group of students are on a large deserted island opposed to a large, but enclosed school.

Let's face it; an island means more places, possibly more HIDDEN places to do the dirty deed and there's a ton more ways to dispose of bodies for that matter.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I don't know enough about kanji, much less the ones used in Naegi's and Nagito's names, but I DO remember my Hiragana and the same letters would be used in both names there (plus -da) given the ultra phonetic style of that alphabet.

While I can't comment on its validity, if the anagram is intentional, it probably wouldn't be as readily noticeable to a Japanese speaker opposed to an English one, especially since the names are first revealed *in* English. This may be one of those hidden in plain sight clues, kinda like how if you speak Arabic, you can understand what the terrorists are saying during the beginning of Iron Man, whereas to most western speakers, it didn't reveal anything and the plot twist concerning Obadiah Stane was kept a twist until later.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
You know what I want? ...Aside from a Peko avatar, I mean.

While I was really happy over DR1's survivor rate and that my favorite character made it to the end, I'd like an over all proactive group to make it to the finale this time. One of my hang ups (in retrospect) over DR1 was that Aoi, Hakagure and Fukawa/Syo were kinda/sorta reduced to a bunch of talking heads compared to the detective onslaught driven by Kirigiri, Togami and Naegi after the third trial onward. They really didn't do too much in the end beyond being part of a peanut gallery you had to convince how to vote.

For this game, what I'd like to see is a few characters form a clique of investigators. Gonna hold off on speculating which among them would go for that, but it'd be boss if there was a duo/trio of investigative minds, NOT including Hinata, who all look at each other and go "holy poo poo, we need to DO something about this murder business or every drat day's going to be that much crazier.

How they'd perform could be a wild card factor, but really, I'm just reminded of how Ishimaru (God rest his soul) actually *had*a great idea by suggesting people reveal their secrets prior to the second trial. Even though it didn't work, that kinda initiative was refreshing; I'd just like to see the characters this time DO more like that.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

To be fair, almost all the trials were like this - beyond the 'culprit' and Kirigiri/Togami, Naegi had to pretty much steer everyone down the right track. It's just a lot more noticeable when the cast was whittled down to 6 people.

Hmm. Yeah, you're right...I *think* Ishimaru was gung-ho with a "Anybody but Mondo" stance during trial two... but still, those three were running things. Even if it means killing off Detective-y Character X after a trial or two so that Character Y can take up the mantle, DR2 really ought to deny itself this standard of using the same pair of characters plus the protag to spear-head EVERY investigation.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

And now we're on an island... there's bright sunlight, blue skies, possibly a cool breeze and the gentle sound of the waves crashing against the shore... but even as idyllic as it seems, it still doesn't change the fact that they're still cut off from the rest of the world. Isolated. Confined. Trapped with a bunch of strangers and a bizarre talking stuffed animal who wants God only knows what from them.

Well, I mentioned this earlier as speculation but I think it's a double edge sword here. An island has got to be bigger than the original School from DR1 and that *will* play a factor into whatever's coming, so the stage itself is more open and varied than the original school, but it's far, far more isolated.

I guess that just makes this a bigger fishbowl than before... Though speaking of omnipresent, if it really is a whole island, how's surveillance gonna work?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
While Gundam Tanaka destroyed all expectations, I really find Souda the more interesting character for how laid back and congenial the dude was acting despite looking like Shark the Mechanic.

He IS the first character in the series who's taken a truly lackadaisical attitude to the "holy gently caress we're trapped!" scenario...right?

What's weirder though is, and this is speculative mind, but he could be either a huge murder-target in case his skills get Chekov'd into potentially being used for an escape, or a character seen as worth protecting to the end because of it. At least, that's my initial impression.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Gensuki posted:

I think this guy's design is based off of a gremlin... Like, the ones that tear apart planes in flight?
Was that just in The Twilight Zone, or was it more widespread before that?

Gremlins/imps/brownies/little people have had presence in alot of folklore way, waaaay before WWII but gremlins themselves waere associated with that time period as a pack of devilish imps who hosed up planes in mid-air. If the reference is intentional, it's pretty legit.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
From the looks of her, Mikan cuts her own hair which is kind of more disturbing than her bandaged appearance; she's got a *worse* bandaged personality.

...Does Ibuki have a *huge* loving scar on her leg in the official character art or is that a stitch in her --No, holy crap, that's a scar alright. Wonder if that has anythign to do with her solo career jumpstarting...

All in all I think this is part of what's making the designs work better in DR2; while you sort of got this from certain DR1 characters, the designs here are telling you more of a story about the character than before (As much as I love the guy, for example Ishimaru in DR1's image gave away alot of his general behavior and manner, but you didn't really learn anything about how off the deep end he is until talking with him.) We're still having to learn about the characters by talking to them, but the designs are hinting at more to the characters in conjunction with what's being said.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Man, I'd be perpetually upset too if someone cut my hair that badly.

Unless she just cannot sit still in the barber's chair, I imagine it's *probably* that she cuts her own hair and this is what happens when a perpetual nervous wreck gets a pair of scissors.

...Or, if her reason for liking toilets actually *is* because of the earlier speculation that bullying victims find them to be safe havens... Man, that's kind of heinous if some bully *did* this to her out of spite, even worse if tending to her own injuries is what got her those SHSL nurse skills in the first place.

EDIT: drat, someone just beat me to suggesting this, but the statement about her nursing skills stand.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Yeeeaaah, I think so too that this may be implying something about Hinata, but what if it's implying something about Nagito and more importantly Naegi as well? What if the "Bogus System" used by the preparatory school is the lottery that each supposedly won?

Also, a dual school system that breeds unfairness, promotes elitism and can be considered a scam or at the least horrendously unfair? Man, I am almost positive now that Hope's Peak, even if they aren't directly to blame for the Most Despairing Incident, are directly responsible for propagating an environment that birthed it.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I really, really, REALLY hope Nekomaru survives to the end.

And yet as awesome as he is, Miharu is the character I'm more interested in seeing develope. It's my hope that in DR2 the characters, more importantly the SURVIVING characters are a shitload more pro-active in the plot than last game and given her display here, things are off to a good start..

It's furthermore my pet dream that after the killings start, a clique of 'investigators' form and I wanna see her be part of it. Hell, that may be what the camera gets used for: collective evidence.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Holy poo poo, Nanami's wearing a Not-Black-Frost Hoodie in her art. Spiff.

Pekoyama is... not as intense as I'd expected but she kinda has a passive, downplayed "Live by the Rules" standard that comes off as a counterpart to Ishimaru's overblown version... Makes me wonder if she comes from an all girls middle school or something the way she emphasized that the idea of men and women living together was a novelty...

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I suppose it makes sense if the whole point of the school is to research "talent," but goddamn do they assemble some useless skills.

Kendo is a pretty big drat deal in Japan, dude. It's a common enough sport at schools with cultural heritage attached but even at the bottom line, it's no different than having SHSL baseball or swimming skills... except, you know, she's a swordsman.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Also, in general if the tables are turned and you're suddenly stuck in a kill-or-be-killed situation (I know, what are the odds?) having sword skills is going to go a long way in keeping yourself safe from any violent attempts on your life.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Given that Sakura could take on MB in a fight with both of them surviving, whatever Tool was sitting back watching DR1 probably reasoned that a small, albeit explosive, robot is no match for a titantic SHSL martial artist, or to a lesser extent ANYBODY with physical based SHSL skills. Therefore, you need a bigger robo-- No, gently caress that, you need SEVERAL bigger robots for your evil brute squad. While it'd be something if all of DR2's jocks had a "charge of the light brigade" moment, they couldn't likely take out more than one of those suckers before being taken out.

...But that silly musing aside, if MB is treating Monomi like a younger sibling, and the Twins are stone dead, maybe this was more of a shout out/clue to Alter Ego being stuck in the robo-rabbit costume and MB's AI is regarding her as a pesky little twerp who's getting in the way of his plans?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Poor Monomi... Also, holy gently caress, Monobear didn't give two shits about the possibility of gunning down anybody else with that; Hinata got a drama-grazing from the onslaught.

...Also, Togami, you *dick*. I think the chance of him being the original Togami is closer to nil now because this one's pulling the same poo poo as the original did, only Togami the first grew out of it by the end of DR1. Yes, yes, mind-wiping character development is a staple of this series and true, he could be acting, but...

While what they did with it was *fascinating*, one of the hangs ups I have about DR1/DR in general is the dual purpose of memory-wiping shenanigans. On the one hand, you kinda need that in order to successfully build the suspense and mystery properly, but on the other, at least with Junko and DR1, it's also a dirty loving cheat. In order to prove her point about despair, she had to rob the characters of what development they had prior to the game start so they would even *consider* killing each other, and the she brings on the coercion. Thus it made her entire point based on lies and half-truths, which even if she'd won in DR1, it invalidates her message.

...So with DR2, and specifically the mystery of Togami's identity in mind, can you *really* get away with doing the mind wipe twice?

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 9, 2013

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Catastrophics posted:

Strange that there's no rule against killing more than two students this time. Are there any other rules from the first game missing in the list?
EDIT: Beaten to it...

MB hasn't named a place off limits at night yet, opposed to DR1's cafeteria. He's warned everyone "Hey, don't go outside at night, there could be murderers out there!" but hasn't explicitly named any forbidden areas. Also, while this isn't a rule, there's no telling if this MB will explode if attacked since, well, GIANT MONOBOTS.

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 12, 2013

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I'm really hoping Souda's just a fraidy cat who's lost his cool facade to the initial despair and isn't (or hasn't as the case may be) taking/taken any steps to be the first killer or victim.

However, anybody else notice this? I dunno if this is just the case for Hinata, but, uh, there's gonna be trouble with a bed that's sitting right under the loving window. Unless that glass is strong enough to withstand the mightiest gym coaches and kendo swordswomen, or the drat thing's bolted to the floor Hinata, would do well to move it post haste. Or sleep on the floor, because anyone willing to murder someone probably isn't going to be deterred by a glass pane to attempt it when they could just walk up and go *smash*.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Suzuki Method posted:

E:
Who's going to want to have to pick up every tiny speck of broken glass they 'littered' with just then? :colbert:

To be fair, breaking a window *into* somebody's cabin isn't littering; it's making a mess in your victim's home. If you throw a dude *out* of a window to the ground outside, then it's littering.

But seriously, even if those windows are tempered, unbreakable glass, this feels like an intentional interior decorating ploy by MB to, at the least, scare the poo poo out of people with paranoia if not actually increase the temptation impetus for killing.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Wowsers!

To be honest, seeing Monobear say "Uh" in his speech and not (yet) being as verbose as Junko was seems to hint that there IS someone different working the controls. That someone could be one of the students, someone we haven't met yet or had clues dropped about yet, or it could be a true A.I. this time. I can't speculate on any clues other than that, but the game seems to be doing this subtle nod that this isn't the *exact* same MB but they are being controlled.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Okay, something's bothering me here. I can understand apprehension to Togami being the leader (and not just because dude's all but posted a "MURDER ME" sign on his back with his posturing to protect everybody in the role of being the boss,) but ...Why the hell did Koizumi forcibly try to elect Sonia? Just cause she's a princess?

Hell, why didn't she volunteer for the job? She's proactive, clearly trying to move things along, and she didn't think to nominate herself? Gundam's a bit of an Egomaniac, but off in his own little world so I can see why he wouldn't, but is it just me or is it weird nobody else volunteered? Especially Koizumi.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
It'd be a neat twist if she was trying to pull that, but again, it still feels strange that Koizumi wouldn't nominate herself; even if she just doesn't want someone she dislikes to not be the leader, her proactive nature thus far makes it seem like she'd try to take charge.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
The problem with that train of thought is that DR1 killed off Ishimaru in the middle of his character development, robbing him before he could fully come to terms with his Aniki loss and be the better for it. If the games only killed off one note characters, or characters who had finished their character growth, the dead and dying would be alot easier to spot.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Togami and Souda, here. Although speaking of, Souda sure started crushing on Sonia pretty fast, didn't he? Came a little out of left field, but at least he hasn't poo poo his pants over the bomb yet.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
In the original game's context, Naegi and Co. figured out just what the poo poo Junko'd been up to; as the manga sequence unraveled how she faked "the 16th Student's Death" and (most of)the important plot bits elsewhere were put into coherence, her cover was blown. She'd been found out, and while she was still nucking futs and full of distracting behavior, it was really all she could do, backed into a corner.

In DR0 though... holy gently caress. She has no posse of crime solving teens to deal with, whatever she is up to is still basically hidden, and as a result her actions and behavior come off that more creepy. Actually, it's kind of hard for me to read the drat novel updates just because how disturbing it's been seeing her torment a mentally deficient character.

I didn't think, after DR1, that Junko *caused* the Most Despairing Event-- that she took advantage of Hope's peak's situation after the event, and did all that horrible stuff because she's a despair junkie and wanted to not only prove a point, but show it to EVERYBODY. That there was a wider scope of poo poo going down, and she was just part of it.

Now... I'm not so sure. She could have been the progenitor after all. Which makes DR2 her legacy, and she's not merely part of a bigger organization.

...I really, really really hope she's loving dead though, if only for the sake of DR2's cast. :ohdear:

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 24, 2013

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

RefinedUndefined posted:

Same here, even though it's because I think that bringing her back alive would be rather cheap, and defeats the purpose of her execution in the first place.

It's not even the cheapness effect; even if she's still influencing the plot, or some of her actions have yet to be revealed to the DR2 cast, she should remain physically dead because establishing her as a nigh impossible to kill villain also ruins the "thrill of the chase," as it were. A 100% invincible, omnipotent, or otherwise Perfect Villain is perhaps the worst kind of antagonist for a mystery settling (and most RPGs for that matter) because it doesn't matter how many Kirigiris or Naegis or Hinatas or even all size assortments of Togamis are thrown at the mystery at hand, it would ruin the suspense if the antagonist is the same death-cheating villain twice in a row and imply that the heroes will never be rid of them.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Wyvernil posted:

I wonder what happens when someone dies and their body isn't found? Say, for instance, that someone commits murder and hides the body. Does there need to be a school trial in order for someone to graduate, or does it happen automatically if someone is killed and their body isn't found within a certain amount of time?

Patter Song posted:

It occurs to me that killers in this scenario have a huge advantage: the ocean. If someone doesn't try to hide a corpse by throwing it in the ocean, I'll be disappointed.

The tides may come back to haunt whoever pitches a dead body into the ocean... but man... I would *not* want to be the student who discovers a waterlogged corpse if it washes back up on shore nor the discoverer of a body killed using a "cement shoes" method of dispatching. Drowning was avoided last game but with natural bodies of water in play? Eugh...

However, Monobear is always going to be calling mandatory meetups. And he's a total bastard who wants to make a spectacle of things.

In the instance of a hidden victim, MB's not just going to pretend not to notice or not say anything if someone else notices that Mr. Body is missing, or just wait a few weeks and as the killer gets away have the Monobeasts eat everyone else. If a dead person misses a meeting, my money's betteing that he will, as he is wont to do, make up a new rule about it, or deliver some sort of ultimatum that will HAVE to result in either people finding a corpse, or a punishment involving new corpses.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
So let's assume the idea that Togami is a Hope Mastermind, and that dude's been controlling Monomi as a means to crowd control former SHSL Despair Goons from reverting to their old ways and see the light.

Doesn't that mean that Togami is still a plant, and not part of the actual class these guys are from? If that's also true, wouldn't it mean that, once again, there's a missing 16th student since without Togami you only have 15 students to the class?

Meaning someone is unaccounted for, and that someone could be controlling MB this time around.

EDIT: While we're on the subject... it would be funny but I *doubt* it's the case if Togami himself is a robot meant to house a smaller, pinker robot filled with hope and the Real Togami is a billion miles away clicking keys on a computer and telling Syo to stop breathing down his neck.

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 3, 2013

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

So I assume that Novoselic is, like, pseudo-Luxembourg or something?

When Sonia mentioned her country's exports, those being Wine and Chocolate, it makes me feel like she's from an analogue of the Duchy of Grand Fenwick, a fictional European country from a Cold War/Arms race satirical novel called The Mouse that Roared (and subsequent Peter Sellers movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mouse_That_Roared ) In the novel (not the movie) one of the main characters is even a young, beloved Duchess/ princess archetype who if memory serves was a surprisingly great monarch running a country smaller than Rhode Island that ended up having a TON of geo-political clout through the novel's progression.

Also, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: even if a killer dumps their victim's body in the ocean or there's a mysterious disappearance and nobody notices for days, odds are the tides and currents will not go along with their murder plan and eventually wash the body up on shore. ...And again: I would *not* want to be whomever finds that water logged corpse...

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Who says it's a murder mystery and not just a pseudo dating sim, hmmm? :colbert:

...Monobear?

That being said, it's refreshing that apart from *possibly* Peko's shinai/whatever sword and any implied kitchen sharpery Tertuteru has access to, that there are no blatant Chekov's guns when it comes to murder weapons lying around. Sure, you've got the contents of the store, but it's nowhere near the same as Maizono forcing a glorified club into Nagei's hands (and unfortunately Leon's...) in the events that led up to DR1's first murder. This makes the build up going into whatever's gonna go down more enjoyable since it's alot more of a blind venture now.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, the initial fight was pretty brutal and all, but nobody really knew what was going on and by the time anyone could have acted, the little monochormatic bastard summoned a robo-brute squad that is capable of *lawnmowering* any of the students no matter what their SHSL skills are. Even if this involves some level of hindsight, there's not much the kids could've done without getting hurt.

...They are a bit more crazy though, no arguing there.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Halphassed posted:

So everything is consfiscated, but Nidai can keep his giant chains?

Iunnrais posted:

I'm more interested in the fact that the lodge was chosen as a Monobear-proof location, yet there are cameras here. Why are none of the characters caring?

And others have mentioned that Peko appears to still have her shinai.

To be honest, I find all these notes more glaring than the rug/floors or that Togami has everything (else) dangerous stored in a couple of Leon Kennedy's attache cases. Even if it's a practice weapon, you could still thrust with a shinai, right into somebody's throat and gently caress em up good, if not outright kill them. I hope these things aren't just oversights.

Sure, Nekomaru and Akane aren't having their hands bound when it's pretty obvious they could at least TRY to kill someone with their bare hands and Nekomaru's chains probably aren't a weapon for the guy... but given the lengths Togami's going to keep dangerous objects away from everyone, he should have at least said something or Nekomaru could have mentioned being yelled at for still wearing them. You can't even meta-reason that it's because the artists didn't want to make alt. sprites because it's not like we haven't seen those before in the DR series.

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Okay, so the windows of the lodge are bolted up in a similar fashion to Hope's Peak, and that was to keep the students safe inside opposed to trapping them from the outside. Since none of the other buildings we've seen are sealed, it means that this building probably was meant to be somebody's safe haven, as some other people in the thread have noticed.

Usami was also pretty clear that she didn't want people to go in there before MB showed up and shot her full of holes.

So, with this is mind, I am now seriously wondering about Nagito's motivations to use the lodge, and more importantly, I am wondering if he just *happened* to find anything in there after spending a whole day "cleaning up." While I still hope out hope for the crackpot theory that the current Togami is a carrier robot and Usami is hiding inside his overweight shell, the Naegi-lookalike has aroused some serious suspicions between him and the robot rabbit, even if he ain't killing anybody.

• Locked thread