Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I drew a small simple thing and thought I might as well share it here.

edit: I really should stop posting pictures drawn half-asleep. It's worse than drunk posting.

slowbeef posted:

Now that Shift-JIS example? Only people who've done ROM-hacking or Japanese game/app programming are even gonna say that - so we're talking about, what? .1% of people reading this?

Eh. I'd say pretty much anyone who has ever dealt with trying to make a Japanese program work or even, say, an mp3 with borked tags should at least know about character encoding and after a Google search or a few stumble upon the words Shift-JIS.

Naturally I'm basing this wild assumption upon my own experiences.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

RefinedUndefined posted:

Yeah it was mentioned in a previous update. I am curious, however, about the precise mechanic of this, as in how many shards for a skill, if the skills have different costs, and how they are unlocked, if they need to be unlocked.

I am going to tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the skill system once we get to where we actually use it.

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010
I don't think Kuzuryuu is a crossdresser. It seems to me that he's simply self-conscious about being a young, fresh-faced yakuza with a small build. I think the leap to "Aha he must be a girl!" is too extreme and ruins the humor of the situation. Also, his voice is pretty masculine, it's not ambiguous like Chihiro's voice was.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Best not let Sonia find out you're into occult stuff if her complimenting your hamsters is enough to embarrass you, Gundam.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It occurs to me that killers in this scenario have a huge advantage: the ocean. If someone doesn't try to hide a corpse by throwing it in the ocean, I'll be disappointed.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
I really like this Togami. It's really interesting comparing DR1 and DR2 Togami because in both he's viewed himself vastly superior to everyone else but in DR1 he was just kind of a smug prick watching out only for himself and in DR2 he seems to genuinely want to protect and lead the other kids.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

orenronen posted:

I am going to tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the skill system once we get to where we actually use it.

I'm fine with that.

purple_sammich posted:

I don't think Kuzuryuu is a crossdresser. It seems to me that he's simply self-conscious about being a young, fresh-faced yakuza with a small build. I think the leap to "Aha he must be a girl!" is too extreme and ruins the humor of the situation. Also, his voice is pretty masculine, it's not ambiguous like Chihiro's voice was.

Also, as mentioned at some point in this thread, the developers are imaginitive, and repeating the whole crossdressing thing is not, hence why I don't think Kuzuryuu is a girl, just, as you've said, a fresh-faced yakuza, who may never have the chance to get some scars.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

RefinedUndefined posted:

a fresh-faced yakuza, who may never have the chance to get some scars.

He has a couple of distinctive knife scars already. Though maybe he just self inflicted to show what a badass he is, One Piece style.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Wyvernil posted:

I wonder what happens when someone dies and their body isn't found? Say, for instance, that someone commits murder and hides the body. Does there need to be a school trial in order for someone to graduate, or does it happen automatically if someone is killed and their body isn't found within a certain amount of time?

Patter Song posted:

It occurs to me that killers in this scenario have a huge advantage: the ocean. If someone doesn't try to hide a corpse by throwing it in the ocean, I'll be disappointed.

The tides may come back to haunt whoever pitches a dead body into the ocean... but man... I would *not* want to be the student who discovers a waterlogged corpse if it washes back up on shore nor the discoverer of a body killed using a "cement shoes" method of dispatching. Drowning was avoided last game but with natural bodies of water in play? Eugh...

However, Monobear is always going to be calling mandatory meetups. And he's a total bastard who wants to make a spectacle of things.

In the instance of a hidden victim, MB's not just going to pretend not to notice or not say anything if someone else notices that Mr. Body is missing, or just wait a few weeks and as the killer gets away have the Monobeasts eat everyone else. If a dead person misses a meeting, my money's betteing that he will, as he is wont to do, make up a new rule about it, or deliver some sort of ultimatum that will HAVE to result in either people finding a corpse, or a punishment involving new corpses.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
What's this Copellia, Gundam is referencing?

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Prison Warden posted:

He has a couple of distinctive knife scars already. Though maybe he just self inflicted to show what a badass he is, One Piece style.

Seriously, I haven't actually noticed any. I must have not been paying attention to the portraits in detail.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Vexrm posted:

What's this Copellia, Gundam is referencing?

I believe that Gundam is referencing the play of the same name, where a young man is entranced by a lifelike doll. So entranced, in fact, that the woman who loves him must disguise herself as the doll in order to finally touch his heart. They're married later, so it's all one big happy ending.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Green Intern posted:

I believe that Gundam is referencing the play of the same name, where a young man is entranced by a lifelike doll. So entranced, in fact, that the woman who loves him must disguise herself as the doll in order to finally touch his heart. They're married later, so it's all one big happy ending.

The play is also based off an ealier story, "The Sand-man," in which the ending is not at all happy. It's famous for being analysed by Freud in his essay "The Uncanny."

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Gundam has a Bubbly Blog. :3: I love how he's just a culmination of all the chuunibyou things jammed together. I hope one of his free time events is him introducing Hinata to all of his Dark Gods so we can find out they all have super distinct personalities just like their owner. :allears:

Are free time events voiced? I really enjoy all of Tomokazu Sugita's voice work so if they are I might try to look them up on nicovideo someday far off in the future.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm pretty sure Oren is including the voices for every scene that's voiced already.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
This hasn't received the love it deserves.

tiistai posted:

Mahiru is one of the saner members of the cast, so I imagine she'll be doing this a lot.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
They're technically voiced, in a sense that there are occasionally some tiny sound-bits that pop up from characters. They say stuff like "I see!", or "Well...", or "Hmm" a couple of times during a conversation, but that's throughout the game, not only for Free-time Events.

Although Gundam's maniacal "Ahahaha!" sound-bit easily trumps the rest.

This is really nice!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I think that either Togami will not survive for very long in the game, or Hinata does not possess a SHSL talent. This is entirely for meta reasons, but only working off the information presented in the updates. To whit,

orenronen posted:

So, do you still not remember? Do you have any inkling what your talent might be?
Um... Not yet...
This would be inconsistent if you could have your first free time event with Togami after Hinata has discovered his SHSL talent. The other option is that Hinata has no SHSL talent, in which case this statement of his would be hiding the truth rather than being an inconsistency.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

HelloWinter posted:

They're technically voiced, in a sense that there are occasionally some tiny sound-bits that pop up from characters. They say stuff like "I see!", or "Well...", or "Hmm" a couple of times during a conversation, but that's throughout the game, not only for Free-time Events.

Although Gundam's maniacal "Ahahaha!" sound-bit easily trumps the rest.

Aw. :( Was hoping it might be one of those things where they sometimes have a single line or two in an event voiced to add impact or humor. Looks like I will have to patiently wait until poo poo Gets Real to hear more Gundam.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
There was a Japanese restaurant in the city where I went to university that had Ramune, I wish I could find it around where I live now. :(

I thought Gundam's over-the-top persona would kind of lose its charm after awhile, but nope I'm still loving him. I would like to keep talking to him in the future because I would like to see if it really is just a well-kept act after all or if he's genuinely serious about it all.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

pun pundit posted:

I think that either Togami will not survive for very long in the game, or Hinata does not possess a SHSL talent. This is entirely for meta reasons, but only working off the information presented in the updates. To whit,

This would be inconsistent if you could have your first free time event with Togami after Hinata has discovered his SHSL talent. The other option is that Hinata has no SHSL talent, in which case this statement of his would be hiding the truth rather than being an inconsistency.

Or Hinata's theoretical SHSL talent could be revealed after you can no longer spend time with people/specifically Togami.

See: Kirigiri.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

tiistai posted:

edit: I really should stop posting pictures drawn half-asleep. It's worse than drunk posting.

This is really nice. I hope you continue once something actually happens that's worth drawing (like the Gundam Sonia bits).

pun pundit posted:

Alternatively, they could just change that line to something like

"So now that you've found out your [useful] talent, you can help us find a way out of here." or
"So your talent is [useless]? ... Are you sure you had amnesia, and weren't just ashamed?" or
"So you're an SHSL amnesiac? ...That makes a sad amount of sense..."

Since it's not a very large part of the event.
(it could also be that you find Hinata's talent out at the end of Togami's social link, so close around his death that you can't social link, or Togami survives to the end, and at that point, we find out Hinata's shsl skill) or

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

alcharagia posted:

Or Hinata's theoretical SHSL talent could be revealed after you can no longer spend time with people/specifically Togami.

I think the game is treating Hinata's amnesia toward his skill with a lot more ambiguity and not really hinting on it at all. That way it becomes all the more surprising when we do find out his skill. Some authors do like hinting on hidden stuff, but other times they give no hints or only give hints very late into the reading.

Kirigiri, on the other hand, was pegged as a SHSL Detective right away after Maizono's death because of how she investigated the room so thoroughly. It wasn't really a shocking twist when we found out her talent because it was so blatantly obvious right from the first chapter of the game. Finding it out was more of a "well yeah no duh" kind of moment.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Or, furthermore, it's just the continuity issue that appeared in DR1 too. Stop thinking too much about these things. It's alright using evidence about what characters say, but meta reasons such as "this is how it'll affect continuity" just outright don't work. Remember how Heavy Rain hid the killer's intent, even in his thoughts? And I repeat, DR1 had some continuity problems with free events. It's a thing that happens.

tiistai posted:

This is really neat. Nice work there.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now, now, we all, I say, we all know deep inside that Togami sounds like Foghorn Leghorn :v:

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
I really dislike this new Togami. Also I doubt he will die with the story focusing so much more on Sonia and Souda at the moment.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012

pun pundit posted:

drat, I must say, that is very clever. Firstly, let me just commend you for having one of the most well thought out posts so far, that is quite a keen eye you have there.

I just wanted to build on top of this speculation a bit. I feel like you're spot on with this, but the possibility of him having one, but just never remembering what it is. (maybe they'll even make it so that he uses it without realizing it himself! with this game, you just never know!)

OK, onto a little theory of my own, i'd like to bring up the topic of something everyone seemed to overlook from the very beginning which upon looking at it with a close eye is... a little... off to say the least.

quote:

NonIndividualityembarrassinguniformityjustwhatHopeI talent▲individualitybroken

For (possibly) having his memory wiped, his mind seems awfully focused on a lack of individuality. It also says "individualitybroken" which maybe puts on the table Hinata's ability to do whatever his talent is being removed?

Also, (probably unrelated, but) what's with the "▲"! Who the hell thinks the Unicode triangle character in their head...??? :wtf:

slam5000 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 30, 2013

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

alcharagia posted:

Kirigiri's "reveal" was great. It's, like, an un-reveal. The game is basically given away early on, but then the mid-game throws so many ridiculous twists at you that you start thinking ridiculously. I mean, I was *convinced* Kirigiri was really Mukuro Ikusaba, and then a load of crazy stuff happens and then Kirigiri walks up and says "Of course I'm an SHSL Detective, you moron."

Man, I felt dumb. I love it when games manage to make me feel dumb.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

There was that whole thing about that public school version of Hope's Peak, and how students might get eligible for the Private School version that DR0 talked about. How its basically a scam to fund the main private acadamy. I'm pretty sure its been hypothesized that Hinata is possibly a student from there, and thus not having an SHSL talent.

Or rather, he probably would have one, it'd just be something like "SHSL Hard Worker". Or at least that's the title I'd give to someone who beat out all the rest of students trying to make it there.

Hinata certainly demonstrated how badly he wanted to go to Hope's Peak after all...unless of course that was some kind of weirdness caused by the memory wipe.

purple_sammich posted:

Very much this.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

slowbeef posted:

If Kuzuryuu was a woman pretending to be a man, it makes perfect sense that the characters are remarking on her lack of facial hair or stubble, hence Babyface. In fact, while there are other reasons for a lack of facial hair, that does seem to be the most likely theory.

Kuzuryuu does have stubble, or at least peach fuzz. I didn't notice it until I inadvertently scrolled past this image with my LCD laptop screen at an odd angle. At first I thought it was a smudge on my screen; once I determined that it was part of the picture, I tried to figure out why there was a faint shadow around his mouth and chin. It's only a shadow in the 5 o'clock sense. Dude has more facial hair than any other male character except Nidai.

doomfunk posted:

Why? He has his own voice acting.

I know, and I like his VA, but that doesn't stop me from hearing most of Togami's lines in Orson Wells' voice.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

RoeCocoa posted:

At first I thought it was a smudge on my screen; once I determined that it was part of the picture, I tried to figure out why there was a faint shadow around his mouth and chin. It's only a shadow in the 5 o'clock sense. Dude has more facial hair than any other male character except Nidai.

That's actually just an artistic trick to give the 2d image some depth. Because a face isn't flat, parts that are farther are slightly darker.

Because a literal line by line pixel shading forces it to get too dark, too fast, they just have areas of slightly darker pixels to imply shadows.

I don't suspect crossdresser, since all evidence is easily explained by his complex, but your point doesn't prove my (our?) position true either.

Also, I hate to point this out, but anime. By default, characters do not have facial hair. out of the 34 human characters in these games, 2 have facial hair... Another way to think about it is 1/9 male characters have facial hair if you don't want to count females.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 30, 2013

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In the previous thread with literally no information other than "her voice actress usually voices young boys" people were immediately guessing crossdresser. Maybe don't try to guess plot twists during the opening acts? If this person turns out to be a lady later, what does that have to do with their character now?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

If this person turns out to be a lady later, what does that have to do with their character now?

Absolutely nothing and I really only brought it up to say, "If you're gonna have a theory, back it up with some content from the thread rather than just gut feelings or what you think the authors might do. Like this..."

Honestly, my opinion is tainted by the first "crossdresser" post, so now it's kinda all I can see. Frankly, I hope it's not the case and yes, there's certainly other ways to explain his behavior. The babyface callout seemed like a telling detail, but who really knows.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I wonder if it'll be revealed that all of Togami's fat is actually muscle, much like the Kingpin.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I just can't see Kuzuryuu being a girl, because much like how the first game was about screwing around with tropes it seems that a big part of this game is going to be playing with the expectations of people who played the original game. And anyone who played the original game is actively looking for the crossdresser twist, especially with such a big red flag like Kuzuryuu refusing to go swimming. I'm almost (though not quite) willing to toxx on it.

Tony SpaZ
Dec 17, 2009

pun pundit posted:

The biggest issue with meta-reasoning like this is that the lines could simply change after his ability has been found. A couple additional lines wouldn't take up that much space, and I wouldn't be surprised if the authors learned from their mistakes in the first game.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I am going to say this much about the free time system in the game, just to stop any more of this meta gaming - it's similar but not exactly the same as the one in DR1. In particular, and related to the current discussion, there are events you simply can't see until you finish the game once (not even by replaying chapters), and there are even entire free time sequences that are locked off if you don't start them early enough in the story.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

orenronen posted:

and there are even entire free time sequences that are locked off if you don't start them early enough in the story.

That gives me some sort of internal peace, as in, I don't have to read more theories based on a single line that can be taken out of context and came from a free time event.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
:v: Oh no! We found a dead body. Hey Koizumi do you know anything about this?

Wasn't me.

E: :downs: I Also think everyone is a cross-dresser including Monobear. Also this Togami is from an alternative universe which is practically same as the Dangan Ronpa universe except for the fact everyone is about a hundred pounds overweight and is nicer than their counter-parts. Also I think they are in a video game of sorts because they are actually in a video game. Get it because these character are part of a video game. Meta as gently caress isn't it. The only way to prevent these characters from dying is not to play so the true mastermind is the player because by continuing playing the game the characters will continue to die in horrible ways. Mind fuckin' blown.

Seriously though everyone calm down and enjoy the ride. Before making baseless claims build up your crazy theory with actual evidence from the game.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

orenronen posted:

I am going to say this much about the free time system in the game, just to stop any more of this meta gaming - it's similar but not exactly the same as the one in DR1. In particular, and related to the current discussion, there are events you simply can't see until you finish the game once (not even by replaying chapters), and there are even entire free time sequences that are locked off if you don't start them early enough in the story.

Not all of which are just because someone died? :v:

• Locked thread