Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God drat it, one of the best things about this game already is that Togami got fat. I cannot wait to see what's up with this Naegi-looking dude too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Nevermind, we might as well just wait for orenronen to clear this up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raitzeno posted:

This sounds a lot like a Winson Paine probation reason. I like it.

Some of the names are driving me batty. There's a couple that were too long and flashed by too quickly for me to even pick up. However, I think this Togami is not "our" Togami; if Mukuro can get around with a false name, what's stopping any other impostor?

Your entire reasoning is based on very weird circumstances? I mean, it's not like Mukuro was some random schmuck, she was Junko's twin sister in on the plan as SHSL Despair. We literally have nothing to base the "It's not Togami" theory on anything other than he's fat and wearing white now, which does not warrant any real suspicion unless you think getting fat is suspicious.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, do we even know for sure based on what little we know that Nagito is Naegi? It seems a bit crazy to be making wild speculations like this just because of Nagito's name being an anagram. I mean, yes, it can very much an implication of him being Naegi, but the thing is his appearance is drastically different from Naegi's while remaining very similar, which leads me to believe his name and appearance are meant to invoke the thought of Naegi more than they're meant to actually say "HEY IT'S NAEGI." I could end up being drastically wrong about it, but I do think everybody's kinda jumping to conclusions with what little we actually have to go on here.

I wouldn't bring this up if it weren't for people acting like it's a foregone conclusion and treating the character as if he is Naegi from the START OF THE GAME.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The most interesting thing about this update so far is hearing that "SHSL Good Luck" is actually a title that's done once per school enrollment, not some stupid abstract title. Makes me kinda wonder exactly how many flaky, girl-sounding, jacket-wearing, teenage guys they pulled into the school through that lottery

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Even if Nagito isn't Naegi, there has to be some sort of (in-universe) explanation to the similarities. I'd be a little disappointed if it's just the writers loving with us.

I'm the complete opposite, there doesn't really need to be an in-universe reason for why two characters could look alike, although there could be a narrative one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

miguelito posted:

The characters in this are so much better than DR1, it's ridiculous.

Based on what? Character design? Because we certainly haven't seen enough of them to say "Oh yeah, Kuzuryu is totally cooler than Mondo because of reasons." Character design preference is certainly a subjective thing, but I would not really say any of the designs in this game are immediately better than the ones from the first game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say Gundam's chances are lower given that he's a really intense and overpowering character and they never last due to being the ones that burn out the audience the most easily. I mean seriously, as funny as Gundam is, I can imagine getting sick of him if he sticks around too long.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Overpowering like Syo? Able to burn out the audience like Hakagure? Intense and wacky like Yamada? I wouldn't get too meta on picks given the track record. Let's all remember that people were drawing up "Guaranteed to survive" lists with Maizono and Leon on them.

Syo makes sporadic appearances that are very limited, Hagakure is actually rather docile even if he does make dumb comments (How you got burned out on him, I have no idea), and Yamada is exactly proof of what I'm talking about because it's characters like him, Ishimaru, and Leon that did not stick around for massive plot revelations and development.

Gundam is one of those character I can imagine being killed in some of the first chapters because he's basically a character straight out of a mech anime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know. Instant weather change at the push of a button is a pretty good argument. Super high school technobabble nonwithstanding, that's just not something that even can happen in the real world.

It can just as easily be argued that the sky changed black is a thematic thing rather than "Oh hey, we're in a virtual reality world," especially since this game is not really bound to any sort of reality whatsoever. I mean, you're not gonna say that DR1 is some sort of virtual reality because Mondo turned to butter when he was put through high speeds and the game has a hacker character.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 3, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think what everyone needs to remember is that we are only ten updates into the game... these updates being part of the prologue, WE ARE NOT EVEN AT THE FIRST MURDER YET. You have no grounded evidence for speculation on anything, not even the characters. Why would you assume Fuyuhiko is a cross-dresser? Because he looks a bit girly and doesn't want to swim? Okay, why is he a crossdresser? Can you back that up with any real damning evidence? No, we literally know nothing about him other than he has a bad attitude, is a gangster, does not like anybody on the island and hates milk.

If you want to make a theory, you need evidence and educated reasoning behind your logic, not just "gut feelings," what happened in the last game and anime cliches.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Skunkrocker posted:

No one in the game or in this thread mentions the fact Hinata got grazed by a bullet that sliced his face open enough to ooze blood? I mean... our main character almost got shot in the face, in a video game where every last detail is important.

The bullet is actually Hinata's grandfather made into a bullet by Monobear after another incident happening similarly in a weapons factory, there I've just broken the case.

Seriously though... calm down.

Anyways, the new opening is nice, I saw it a few months ago after the DR LP ended and it... I dunno, it made me a bit interested, but not enough for me to say "OH MAN I AM PSYCHED FOR DANGAN RONPA 2." I can't say I still am, we've only just gotten past the opening and while everything's neat so far, nothing grabbed my attention that the first game didn't already do except gunning down Monomi, that was pretty crazy.

Who knows though, it's a whole new game and I'm ready for crazy bears making everyone kill each other on a tropical island.

Also...

THESE loving TRACKS, only 3 tracks so far are new and all of them are great! Masafumi Takada, you are amazing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Masafumi Takada has also done music for No More Heroes, God Hand, Vanquish and Killer 7, he's a pretty cool dude.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm very disappointed that there wasn't a "And if you pirated this game!" line in there somewhere, I was fully expecting that after the borrowing comment and I didn't get it. That is truly the most important thing about this update.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, Monobear did sure step it up in his motivations for murder, huh? I mean at first it was just threatening friends and family, now it's just straight up blowing up the drat island. On the subject of the characters, Koizumi is the first one annoying me, surprisingly enough. I thought it was gonna be the chef or Gundam, but after she just shat on Souda for being scared that just annoyed me. I also hope that Mikan's clumsiness and Peko's thong do not become running gags (They probably will).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kazuichi and Chiaki, please.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Themata posted:

Poor Mikan, she can't even hold onto her pity votes without losing one. :(

At this point there seems to be no point in voting, but I'll add mine for Togami and Gundam just to ensure it.

I think it's already pretty drat ensured at this point dude.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I laughed for a good minute at this, thank you.

Anyways,

Taciturn Tactician posted:

On more closely related matters (and I'm sorry if this has come up, I try to follow the thread but I might have missed some posts in the deluge) do you think that only Hinata has the monobear collection aspect? Or is that for everyone? If it's not, is just a gameplay thing or is Hinata legitimately somehow special as far as monobear is concerned?

It's probably just a gameplay thing. After all, it's not like Monobear coins really ever amounted to anything important during the storyline in the first game, I imagine idols are just more of the same. A bunch of extra stuff for players to collect after they get bored making anime friends.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HelloWinter posted:

A bit late for contributing, but here we go anyway:

You don't mind if I use this for a certain Twitter account, do you?

Also...

Tombolo posted:

This would be a fine logic to apply in real life. I would like to remind you, however, that this is a anime-heavy, fanservicey visual novel about a bunch of over-the-top high schoolers being coerced to murder each other by a robotic teddy bear. Aquaphobia may be mundane in reality, but this is fiction, and not the kind of fiction where something like that is likely to occur. It is, however, the kind of fiction where crossdressing isn't out of the question! I could be wrong and Kuzuryuu is just too cool to join the group, but I don't imagine there's a deep reason behind the refusal other than that or something to hide physically.

Your entire reasoning behind this is seriously just, "It's an anime, THERE'S GOTTA BE A CROSSDRESSER!" Please think through your reasons better. It could be worse I suppose, you could be this guy who only claimed Fuyuhiko was a crossdresser after the FIRST UPDATE.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't tell if I actually like Sonia or I'm just so perplexed by her that she's only interesting. Also, Byakuya grilling you about your choice of meat and then asking you to be his assistant in one fell swoop is amazing, he's so loving offputting, but so charismatic at the same time, how does that even work?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT;

CottonWolf posted:

She stabbed him through the heart with her nose. Try working that one out, detectives.

My money's on the Yakuza though. Is a dick, dislikes Togami. Sounds like the kind of thing the tutorial case would throw at you.

I highly doubt Fuyuhiko came all the way from his cabin to kill someone in a party he didn't even want to bother attending. Beyond the fact that he'd basically have to know the whole layout of the cabin to even sneak into it somehow without any of the other 15 people there noticing him and then bring a weapon along with him, other than the other 30 weapons Togami already had on himself. Doubled with the fact he needs an accomplice and the only person who apparently relays information to him is Peko, who we've seen little more than cold indifference from the entire game when it comes to talking about anything.

What I'm saying is for it to be Fuyuhiko already would be bad writing. He's not involved with this, maybe later when he gets more involved with the group, but right now no. The only way it could be him is if he's the guy in the bathroom or that's Monobear. I wouldn't really put money on who it could be yet, as the most we know is everyone was in the room aside from Peko and Chiaki when the lights went out and Togami's body is still in the room. So it's one of the 12 people in the room that killed him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

I thought Chapter 2 was a pretty good mystery. :(

Crossdressing mysteries are never good mysteries unless you are Ace Ventura.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mazed posted:

Kuzuryuu seems like he's on the same character arc as Togami from the first game.

Not really, both are acting like assholes, but Togami didn't show any actual signs that he didn't want to be involved with the group whatsoever, he just did not care about anyone in it. If Togami really spurned group interaction that much, he wouldn't have shown up to every morning meeting and actually tried to buddy cop with Naegi, it would ruin his fun. Fuyuhiko is actively being presented with group opportunities and making GBS threads on them. Beyond the fact he's only really acquainted with Peko, he doesn't show any desire whatsoever to be near anyone in the group and even shat on Togami's generosity. Now obviously this is all a set up for him actually wanting to be a part of the group with friends, but that still sort of doesn't follow what Togami went through at all.

Also, I totally thought before this update that Fuyuhiko was hiding in the bathroom and that Peko took the food to give some to him while he hides out, but now I'm pretty sure it's just her through some bad digestive cycles.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm looking at this from several angles, but none of them make this entire case anything short of annoying in how it was planned.

Nagito planned the entire thing, but could not account for Night Vision Goggles? I mean he foresaw the party, Togami inspecting people for weapons and even rigged everything so the power could go out, but didn't remember that there were goggles in the island shop? That's just kind of forced to me. Hanamura being the culprit is going to be really bad, because he really should not be privy to anything involving the blackout, but he was prepared with a mini-stove for a light and I'm entirely certain he's the one with the other pair of goggles so he could kill Togami.

But that requires him to know that Togami was going to be under the table, so that leads me to believe that instead of not knowing anything, him and Nagito cooked the whole plan up and there it would make sense why Nagito didn't have any countermeasure for the goggles. The problem with that though, is why they would team up? If the entire plan is made so Hanamura could kill Togami, then what does Nagito have to gain from that, surely he knows that the person who kills the other is the one who gets to go free and not anyone else.

However, I'm almost willing to believe this is all an elaborate scheme so Nagito could get two of their friends killed so he endow the others with despair since he seems to like doing that as of late, although to just rehash Junko's whole MO from the last game would just annoy me, even if he's the starting villain or whatever. In the end though, I'm just gonna have to wait and see and hope it's not dumb. Although it pisses me the hell off that literally three people somehow knew about the crawlspace and not one of them was the guy who was trying to ensure everyone's safety, but the three were a pervert cook, possibly the psychopath, and some schmuck looking for his dumb earring.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Forget it, I won't post about DR0.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 14, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That execution was certainly something. I went from "Missiles? That's pretty dull." to "Oh he's gonna feed him to sharks, that makes a bit more sense." to "loving poo poo, A VOLCANO!?" in the span of about 30 seconds. Trial was good, but I really am gonna dislike Komaeda in the coming trials, because anything the group does that isn't tying him up to a post so he can't do anything is going to be the wrong decision.

Also, that was some funky rear end music that was playing in the pre-execution sequence, is someone able to link that or is the title a spoiler or something?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Carbon dioxide posted:

Monokuma's new voice doesn't sound evil enough in that trailer.

Good, he's supposed to sound goofy and dumb.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Title sounds like its gonna be a bait and switch for some unsuspecting people

I don't see how you could think this since it's a relatively obscure game and most of the people buying it are basically going to be from either this forum or tumblr. Like, maybe one or two people will pick it up randomly, but for the most part if you're playign Danganronpa in the West, you already know about it.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 6, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Even if they did, that would probably cost their entire budget for localizing the drat thing, loving cartoon VAs cost a lot more than newbie schmucks.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SDR2 is not coming with DR in the Vita. They're both being sold separately for America, presumably due to the fact NISA's waiting to see if they can get the cult following to buy the first game decently enough to justify localizing the second. Orenronen, how do you feel about being responsible for a game being brought to the west?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
For people curious about the whole Junko and Fukawa shared voice thing. Erin Fitzgerald and Amanda C. Miller are voicing one part of each character. On Fitzgerald's twitter her new av is a picture of the real Junko and she's implied she knows about the spoilers in the game so here's how it's supposed to go if you're still confused about what's happening.

Amanda C. Miller is voicing Fukawa in some way (Probably the Fukawa personality) and voicing Mukuro Ikusaba as Junko.
Erin Fitzgerald is voicing Fukawa in some way and is probably voicing the real Junko.

I was sort of hoping they got separate VAs for Junko and Mukuro when I saw Miller voiced both so this is nice, but it's perplexing as gently caress as to why they went through this roundabout way of doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lotus circle posted:

I don't really understand the need to have two separate voice actresses for Junko and Mukuro. The same voice actress voiced both in the original version, since it's such a minimal role (Mukuro doesn't even make it to the first trial and Junko only appears mid-trial 6) despite the character being the main antagonist and they are meant to be twins.

None of that matters. If localizers took cues from Japanese voice acting a lot of dubs these days wouldn't be as good as they are. Them being twins does not matter either, especially when they are different in every conceivable way except their face and even that has differences. Also, your role of major villain is not a minimal role, she may only show up at the end of the game, but she is the driving force of the story and deserves to be given her own individual voice unless it's for plot reasons which it never is. Sho and Fukawa should have the same VA though, since it's the same person, but it's not like it would be the first time voice acting in either country has done that sort of thing.

• Locked thread