Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Check her hairpieces. Is that supposed to look like the new rabbit character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

Maybe Togami bulked up to make Fukawa lose interest in him - or ate her depending on how crazy the outside world still is. But, if Biggie Smalls here is Togami, I get the feeling he's not long for this game seeing as we already know a lot about him.

I kinda hope not. The last game had great chemistry between Togami and the rest of the cast, and it only looks to get better now that he's fat and gives off a different first impression. He probably won't make it to the end again but he's definitely not out in the first round.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pandaK posted:

Well that's because we actually have something to work off of this time around. There was the whole deal with the glitch visual effects, plus the cascading digits trope that's so relevant in that kind of setting.

This is one of those things that is supposed to totally pass you by when you play it, but with the time between updates in the LP and people scouring over everything it's almost too obvious.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

orenronen posted:

Definitely. If you're visiting Akihabara, pretty much any location that sells CDs will have copies, plus they're setting up a temporary specialty Dangan Ronpa store between December 22 and January 20 (with a 2 day new year break).

Oh god, if someone goes please take pictures.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MadRhetoric posted:

Western comics (Amecomi) are actually pretty well-known in Japan, and have a similar cultural cachet to manga in, say, America. It wouldn't be too farfetched for a (seemingly) normal high school kid to make that reference. It's also a funny as hell line. Your supervillain seething is justified, Fedule.

I think the bigger problem is that it changes the joke. With the Doctor Doom part Nagito reacts to how silly Gundam is. It's funnier (at least to me) and apparently closer to the original intention when Nagito compares him to a such a family friendly character.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

4th Asclepiadean posted:

I wouldn't know whether to feel disappointed or absolutely amazed.

How about... DESPAIR.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm convinced that, even if Fatgami directly referenced something from DR1, or Nagi from the first game comes up and says "THIS IS THE GUY I MET DURING THE FIRST GAME", there are some people who aren't going to be convinced it's the original Togami.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kytrarewn posted:

OK, obviously Monobear this time around isn't as smart as Junko had been.

He's blowing his whole load for the first murder.

"If you kill your friend I'll let you off the island and I'll give you your memories back and I'll let you ride a pony and buy you an ice cream cone with a pretty red cherry up at the top. Plus, one of your friends is a traitor."

Seems to be rather... overdoing it on the incentivization front.

Remember that monobear is basically an author insert, so his plans mirror the game's plans. In the tradition of many sequels, the game is stuffing itself with more stuff than the first game. In the first one the game was setting up the reveal that what was basically the apocalypse happened, and now that the audience knows that bit of info the game has to come up with many smaller hooks to replace that big one.

That's why we have a whole new setting with secrets to uncover, and there is Monomi to figure out, and now there is this traitor character. Of course, all of this stuff is secondary to the character stories in this series. This isn't something like 999 where the plot is so complex and interesting that the characters can afford to be a little flat (although, they might be trying for that level of twisty goodness this time around). Still, if you want a mystery to obsess over while the good stuff is going on, there are many to pick from.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I know, not everyone's going to act rationally, but if you entertained the thought for just a moment you'd realize the person you kill could have been a close friend.

If it was any other series I'd expect something like this to happen in order to score some cheap sad moments, but they could have hit that same beat in the first game once the students figured out that they all used to be friends and instead they moved on to other things. Perhaps actually having their memories implanted back into their bodies, instead of just figuring out something that you don't remember, will cause that kind of reaction.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What are you talking about? They were totally pissed when they figured it out.

Only about as pissed as the kids were in this update, and these guys don't even know what they are missing yet.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Carrasco posted:

Kind of odd that Monobear's not offering any proof. It should be pretty easy. Just point out that they're an inch or two taller than they remember, or that they've gotten a haircut in between their first day of highschool and now, or something.

I think we're going to have to suspend our disbelief on that. That the characters didn't grow between freshman year and the events of DR1 wasn't even mentioned last game, and I assume the same goes for this one.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Devil Tesla posted:

I think we're going to have to suspend our disbelief on that. That the characters didn't grow between freshman year and the events of DR1 wasn't even mentioned last game, and I assume the same goes for this one.

Quoting myself being wrong, the fact that they had grown a year was mentioned in DR1. Worth noting: the characters in DR2 don't spend their first moments on the island wondering why they are suddenly in older bodies, so that could be a hint about when the game takes place. Also worth noting: Togami seems to remember getting fat.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Migishu posted:

Didn't he say something about having the finest meals and basically gorging himself with food? Sounds awfully suspicious to me.

Would be easy to suspect Togami as the infiltrator. Then the speculation begins as to who is helping him? Perhaps the old crew from the previous game scraped up some Monobear parts and made Monomi? But then, who's controlling Monobear?

The plot thickens...

Possibility: implanted memories?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I just thought of something: what if nobody is supposed to get murdered in DR2 and the entire point of the game is to keep people from killing each other?

Yes no murders in a murder mystery game :rolleye:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man, generally by this point in the investigation I'd have an idea who the murderer was, like a short list of possible suspects that are probably all red herrings but at least something, but while we have the general idea of how things went down it's entirely unclear whodunit.

I think this is largely a result of the huge cast we have here, the most suspicious people are also the least recognizable because they aren't talking to Hinata. It was kind of puzzling why they just gave away the murderer in the tutorial mission in DR1, but I think it was a good idea because it gave you a sense that yes, someone actually did this. Right now the murder mystery feels kind of aimless without it.

Now I also think that is entirely the writer's intention. They're still running on the trust they earned from offering satisfying solutions in DR1, so they are overwhelming us because they know that we trust that there is going to be a resolution. All I know is that this is going to be one of those times where we have no idea who did it until the trial is over.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LateToTheParty posted:

Are there any good or decent light novels or does the medium mostly consist of pulp?

Light novels are pulp novels, just specifically Japanese and written since the late 70s.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hay orenronen, I really really like DR0 and I'm enjoying your translation a lot. I actually like it more than DR2 at this point, because you spend a longer time getting to know fewer characters (vs. needing a chart to keep track of people), and it's not rigidly a murder mystery (I'm waiting for DR2 to get past the early stuff to start playing with the formula).

Yea, it's hard to read, and if you don't enjoy the act of parsing weird prose I can see how it would look like poo poo. The book takes a lot of risks that alienate the reader, and they aren't paying off for some, and I totally respect the people who are skimming or skipping them. That said, I'd be really disappointed if we don't get the rest of the book!

Edit: Holy poo poo that was a good trial update.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 18, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

couwy posted:

Also, I just came across this screencap from Doraemon and was wondering if that was what inspired the developers to cast Nobuyo Oyama as Monobear (and the design, surely).

According to this interview oren translated for us, Monobear wasn't specifically written for Nobuyo Ooyama. Having her voice the character was originally brought up as a joke. They sent her an offer, not thinking anything would come of it (she hasn't voiced anyone other than Doraemon since the 70s), but to their surprise she accepted it.

There might be a connection, but it's just a likely to be a (cool) coincidence.

Edit: I believe we've never gotten the other half of that interview. If you just have it around that would be cool to read, orenronen!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 18, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

orenronen posted:

Why even make that comment?

Because goons are extremely stupid.

I kind of had trouble understanding this part, this is a meeting between Kirigiri from the first game and her father, right? I found it kind of hard to follow the writing cause everyone is called Kirigiri. This is also because I'm extremely stupid.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Imagining Ōyama's voice reading the first monobear note :gonk:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stoat posted:

I'm gonna guess it's a reference to Soaplands?

Plus lolita lesbians :gonk:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Guys, DR1 isn't going on at the same time as this game. Having the game offhandedly reveal that the school of DR1 was actually on this island is mind blowing enough.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Color Printer posted:

Unless I've been reading the thread wrong I didn't think anyone really liked Saionji at all. :confused: At the very least, it's a staggeringly miniscule minority.

I don't like her, but I like not liking her. Her complete disregard for anyone but herself paired with total honesty makes her a great foil for the rest of the cast, and she had some really good lines during the trial.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

eating only apples posted:

No one is "deep", no one was in DR1 either, but these kids are just silly.

You can write a great story with shallow characters. It's actually harder than the alternative.

At times, DR1 used how sympathetic their cast was as something a crutch when they were really just going through the motions. I'm actually happy that the game is going all in on the shallow cast, case it looks like they're doing something cool with it.

alcharagia posted:

I don't mind him, but as confers with the latter point, I have a well-established love for all things Nagito, so I'm probably not the best judge.

But Nagito is awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Professional Razer posted:

I recall some Game of Thrones TV-onlies getting user titles to do with the "Red Wedding" shortly before it aired, and there's surely other precedent.

There was one for Mass Effect 3 and I think the title of FYAD was Snape Kills Dumbledore for a while. This is the latest in a grand tradition, oh the glory :qq:

• Locked thread