Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why not just Dangoons? Seems simple enough.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Going to chip in with Togami and Sonia. I'm getting the impression from Togami that he might not be around very long, so it'd be nice to get a free time in with him now to see what his deal is, and whether or not he's the same Togami.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Now I can't help but picture Hinata's hair as one of those drinky-bird things. Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQkSOcPLfP4

Yeah I don't really know either, I probably shouldn't stay up until 6 in the morning again. :negative:

I think the monocle might have been maybe a little much.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 15, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I wonder what Monobear would think of killing someone by getting a patsy to do it for you, as Nagito may have done with Hanamura?

Probably think it was awesome.

Didn't we already see something to that effect in the last game, with Celes and Yamada though?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Honestly, Monobear's fairly unclear in that whole regard. In Case 4 of DR1, there's no murder at all, but we still have a trial for... ...some reason, I guess. (Despair!...?) And I guess Sakura's the culprit, but we execute Alter Ego so whatever. The Celes/Yamada accomplice deal makes pretty much no sense to take from Yamada's standpoint, but it's handwaved away with the fact that Yamada's not too bright to begin with.

With how messed up Monobear/Junko's mental state seemed to be in that game it's not unreasonable to say that she considered suicide to be a person murdering themselves, hence the trial. That or it was just an opportunity to cause more despair as you said, so why not?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think my brain may have just conked out in the middle of parsing that because at some point during I came to the conclusion Slowbeef was organizing some kind of Dangan Ronpa RP.

I'm still not sure how that happened. :v:

No matter who's actually organising it though it sounds like a terrible idea.

Edit: Given that most of the people on Tumblr who like Dangan Ronpa are probably following this thread, what are the odds of most of them seeing Slowbeef's response?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 19, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
And my question from 6 hours ago wondering if they were going to be reading it gets answered.

This whole thing has been fascinating :allears:.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So just wanting to make sure I'm on track with everything, the two most likely culprits right now are Nagito and Hanamura, correct? Is there a remote chance of Kuzuryuu being the murderer still, or is that pretty much gone?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

thelarue posted:

I think I just won't post anything, to be honest. I also don't think I can PM people with my level of account and I wouldn't want to bother him by e-mail.

Anyway, to apologize for steering us off-topic, my new theory is:

Nagito killed Togami with ESP, he also controls Monomi, and he is mortal enemies with SHSL Despair group with his own group, the SHSL Hope Inciting Poor People Yahoos or SHSL HIPPY for short.

This is terrible.

I'm having difficulty remembering if this came up, but if it hasn't, a while ago Famitsu did a poll for the best games of 2012. Guess which game placed first by user review? http://gamingeverything.com/42967/famitsu-readers-rank-the-top-games-of-2012/

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Am I late here?

First teaser for the animation!

It's been out and known about for a little while, doesn't make it any less cool that it's happening though. :)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

slowbeef posted:

What? She's barely even in it!

She was there long enough to get some Free Time sessions at least though. Maybe they just made a really strong impression? :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well, um... :stare:

Holy poo poo have they upped the ante on the executions this time around. I didn't expect deep-fry by volcano to be the method of the first execution.

Looks like they're probably carrying on the whole theme of motives from the last game. Hanamura's was pretty sympathetic, even though everything he said about doing it to protect everyone was more or less a lie (he had the power to prevent the whole thing had he gone and talked with Togami about it, I could certainly see everyone working to restrain Nagito if that came out).

Nagito's absolutely demented. Everything about him gets increasingly creepy and off-putting with every update. Him being around definitely changes the dynamic from the first game, assuming he lives past the second case (I seriously can't imagine him not being the target again after the stunts he pulled in the trial, to everyone else he's an absolute liability if they don't keep him in check somehow).

That was a great first case, it's a step above any of the first game's cases, I'd say.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

He got obscured during that, there might have been something going on there.

Monobear just straight up pulled a bomb bigger than his helicopter out of thin air somehow in this one.

A reminder that in the last game Junko went through every execution method consecutively before finally dying. The first one was pretty content with going crazy when it wanted to.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Phelddagrif posted:

Small typo here - it should say "apologize"

Is that a giant iPad?

Please. It's a monoPad. :colbert:

I'm really glad they're not just taking Komaeda's bullshit. Hopefully they'll work out a decent way of keeping him contained for the foreseeable future.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

You got a stiiiiick!

Everything Gundam does and says just makes me like him more, I'm glad he's stepping up and contributing to conversations now. Or maybe I just love his voice that much. :syoon: Who is his voice actor?

Tomokazu Sugita. If you want to hear him in other stuff, he's the lead in Gintama and he's Joseph Joestar in the new JoJo's Bizarre Adventure adaptation.

And he rules. :allears:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 19, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HangedManArcana posted:

Actually:
That's just a simple example of the person's voice acting capabilities. I'm on tumblr (and yes I admit there's a LOT of people on there that are just.... WHY), and I actually follow this guy. He's just a voice actor.

Yeah, VA got this same critique on tumblr.

There's an entire thread for people who have tumblrs on SA. There are weird-rear end people on tumblr, just like there are weird-rear end people everywhere on the internet and even here, but there's nothing inherently bad about having one.

Radian Angle posted:

She raped him before erasing his memory and had her forgetful successor (who she's prepping in DR0 by removing the last thing that ties her to the world) carry the child.
Junko is going to be the ever present jigsaw of the series (who in turn is Junko's father, she didn't die as a child but was kidnapped by a japanese child napping gang, her sister was adopted).

There's plenty inherently bad about this though. :wtc:

So I'm curious about something, Orenronen, and I apologize if this has been already asked before in the thread. Having played through both the first and second games, which voice cast would you say you prefer overall between the two? And if you can answer without it going into spoiler territory, any reasons?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 19, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm a little disappointed that they haven't visibly handled the Komaeda issue yet. I mean yeah it looks like Souda and Nidai might've kidnapped him, but you would think immediately after what had happened they'd neutralize him somehow while they worked on an actual method of containment for him as a group. I can see this ending up backfiring horribly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

If they're going to run with the "killer who kills other killers" idea, there's a number of directions they could take it without rehashing things from the first game. Perhaps Nagito will be the next target, if the serial killer blames him for his indirect role in the murder of Chapter 1.

I hope whatever actually happens in this chapter involves someone other than Nagito. He was interesting in the first scenario, and that twist on him was neat but I think it'd be nice to take a relative break from his character, rather than have him be central to the next murder case too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It would also seem like a viable option to simply destroy the cabinet to remove the temptation to use it.

Edit: and beaten on this very page :downs:

Maybe they could rig the cabinet with something that would indicate if someone had used it? Maybe with multiple people setting up multiple indicators known only to them to help facilitate that?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 1, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A Bystander posted:

Also it was becoming DR General, so if he didn't lock it, slowbeef would've anyway.

Which is a little problematic because the other thread is a CIA document right now and it's very easy to accidentally click something you shouldn't while you navigate through it.

I experienced that firsthand. :sigh:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Knicknevin posted:

Edit: Anyway, I guess the elephant in the room here is whether this LP is going to continue or if we'll find it quietly locked sometime soon. I'm no law student but I don't believe NISA has any legal grounds to force it closed (else every other company with an IP and a grudge would have been shutting down Let's Plays left and right), but that's not to say Oren and Fedule won't do so anyway out of respect for NISA's wishes. Of course, only the first game has been licensed.

I'd be pretty surprised if they sent a C&D, honestly. Orenronen is basically the primary reason this game got any amount of exposure in the western hemisphere up until the anime, and I'd imagine NIS probably is aware of the LP and the exposure it gave.

Or they're not, in which case there'd be no problem! :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I could not possibly care less about Monobear/Monokuma, I only care that they don't pick dumb poo poo like "Super Duper," which apparently they aren't doing so I'll probably be cool. What I'm mad about is splitting 1+2 Reload back into two games, no doubt just to give us the loving squeeze.

Honestly I think NIS deserves praise, if anything. They've got a history of publishing a lot of niche titles in the west that would otherwise never see the light of day. This game is by no means a sure thing financially, and doing two games is twice the work with absolutely no guarantee of return. I'm really glad they're taking the risk on it, and while I can't justify buying a Vita for a single game I hope the gamble they're making on it pays off.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This might actually be the most spiteful thing I've seen on the forums. How much money did whatever user throw away to spoil an anime murdergame? :psyduck:

Diamond Joe Biden posted:

Well that's one way to spend ~$600, way to go guy :thumbsup:

Holy poo poo. Did Vilepilot just change his gimmick or something?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 12, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

QueerPope posted:

So I figured this thread would be interested in Slowbeef's recent Retsuprae of some dude doing a video LP of a fantranslation of Dangan Ronpa 1.

Makes me a lot more appreciative of Oren's LP, not that I wasn't already.

I couldn't listen to that for more than 10 seconds, Jesus.

No person that LP's this will do a better job than Oren, and I wish I could say it was (just) because he set the bar so high, rather than any other person attempting it doing an abominably lovely job of it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ok, so Pekoyama was completely fine with dying for Kuzuryuu's vendetta when he rats her out in the trial? Because I'm getting that implication here, either that or Kuzuryuu's actually suicidal and is completely fine with clamming up and having everyone but Pekoyama executed for it.

I think your theory falls apart just a little bit when that's taken into consideration. Unless you want to die or are going to kill the other party after the fact, there are few situations here where being an accomplice could benefit you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fudge Handsome posted:

Requesting that Something Awful be renamed to The Dangan Ronpa Forum

What? It's what they think it is anyways. V:v:V

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CandyCrazy posted:

Sure, they could've been faking, but do you really believe that these two of all people would be able to pull off a long con?

That's precisely why they're the most suspicious. :tinfoil:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Psych posted:

I doesn't have anything to do with what's going on in the story right now, but I made some Monobear fan art.

This is brilliant, but I can't tell you how much I wish that jar said butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whitehelm posted:

Sigh....we're going to see Sailor Moonbear aren't we...

Pretty sure we saw that like 2 updates after the game started.

• Locked thread