Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'd like to get in good with Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu as soon as possible, and I want to waste time with Sonia Nevermind, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I read the other LP in three days. It's killing me that I'll probably have to wait two goddamn years to learn why the heck Togami is so fat. Did he eat himself that way so that he wouldn't "turn on" that other girl anymore (self defense) and then get mindwiped again and forget, assume he did it on purpose because it's awesome?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Requested_Username posted:

I'm sure people will warm up to her once she stops being such a one-note (and frankly annoying) character.

She reminds me of someone from Edgeworth Investigations
Is this one of those manga character archetypes with the names where if you say them you sound like a 4chan mega nerd?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Carrasco posted:

The guy was able to land a hit that left a mark. Mukuro never had any visible damage on her body aside from the ones delivered by Monobear's spears.

This just means that some of that combat ability was genetic, even if Junko never realized to the extent that Mukuro did.

It left a bruise. That's not a mark, or a scar.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

RefinedUndefined posted:

Like what, Dangan Ronpa: Despair Elementary. Wait, that could be interesting, if only to see how child Junko would act, and how she causes despair.

No, there are TWO years missing from DR1. They spent one year becoming friends, then lost the 2nd. THEN the game occured during the start of the third. This entire game could occur within that second year. She could have said "welp hosed that up lets try again" and went back to the school for DR1.

I hope monokuma is just a protege or series of proteges because for Junko to survive, with any explanation, I feel would cheapen her character. I already feel the explanation coming will be "yeah I just couldn't stick to literally any plan, even the one to die"

e: I am not willing to bet on it though because the prologue has so much hope sprinkled everywhere and then monokuma shows up and the bunny says "oh no, not you! why are you here!" so 1) monokuma has a reputation 2) monokuma has an ax to grind against the very concept of hope triumphing all.

But if monokuma robots are punching the Eiffel Tower down and that's where the reputation comes from I'm back at square one.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 24, 2013

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

[redacted]? like Zork? There's a text adventure now?
I guess it's not.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 26, 2013

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Fantastisk posted:

Orenronen still hasn't done her Social Link stuff, so there might be some information there regarding that.

Good lord, you're right. And I have no idea if you can go hang out with both halves or only the one. Were there any others we were shortchanged?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I guess I got lucky, then, trying to find out what we're missing from those Fukawa scenes from DR1, when I just couldn't find anything and didn't have anything spoiled.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I have faith things will go wrong and togami will deflect blame forever and ever because he will survive.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

In the previous thread with literally no information other than "her voice actress usually voices young boys" people were immediately guessing crossdresser. Maybe don't try to guess plot twists during the opening acts? If this person turns out to be a lady later, what does that have to do with their character now?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

e: whoops forgot what thread I was in. NObody cares. Disregard please.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Still no ticking-clock explanation. Saving that for a later motivation, I guess.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Intentionally falling asleep outside of the dorms isn't a rule condition this time so the jerk can do whatever. Actually DR1's secret character didn't follow that rule, presumeably, did they?

Fedule posted:

I don't want to talk about it :mad:. Ask Oren.

Let's just say that the original line was accompanied by two paragraphs of notes in which the first sentence was "So, this is an untranslatable metajoke".

I get the impression this is going to be a thing with Sonia.

Oronen: please post another translation update I want to see all these words about a joke I can't get and won't be funny after it's explained.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

No I mean if we assume that someone here doesn't belong but has a dorm anyway, Then the jerk, someone who does belong but is not visible, can sleep wherever they want- In the cavities in the planes where the engines should go for instance- without breaking any rules.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

If his SHSL power wasn't being-a-contortionist then I don't even know. If she doesn't remember killing the guy is it possible her twin did? But then she referenced her twin so why pretend for the benefit of nobody?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

There hasn't been a SHSL that hasn't had a real thing that you can specialize in. I mean there was a SHSL psychic but it was mostly SHSL in how much money he got paid for it and how many people he convinced (Conned might not be the right word, if he believed himself). It was pretty clear he sucks at it and that it's not real. Why would Maradai get to shed his skin or heal fast or teleport?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Is Ibuki's nose-boner a thing that's shown up in any anime, ever? It's so weird. I don't think I've ever seen it used to imply anything about someone's character. If this were American/European I'd just say "she is lying her rear end off, that's a reference to pinocchio." I have no idea what it means in a Japanese context.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is based on Pinocchio and Ibuki's nose thing is based on Pinocchio as well.

quote:

This is gonna catch on, big time! Ibuki's gonna make sure it does! It’s gonna be sweet!
So how am I supposed to interpret this? She actually doesn't give a poo poo about the phrase she just made and knows she'll never try to make even a single person say it?

If I ignore the nose I can parse this image and dialog perfectly. It's bravura and a cocksure attitude, probably unfounded in reality, but who gives a poo poo. With that nose I don't get it at all.

Shoopuf posted:

I kind of doubt that!

As was mentioned, much of Ibuki's characteristics are more in relation to Japanese Oni (her hair-horns and pink red/blue color dichotomy). That she has an expression based off another type of Japanese monster is much more likely.

That makes much more sense. Thank you!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

orenronen posted:

It's been 24 hours, with more than enough results, so I'm going to close the vote now. Stay tuned!

But Sonia and Togami are literally tied for 2nd place! Who won!?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

This has probably been asked and answered a few times in the past two years but with respect to the chapter links in the first posts are "(Ab)normal days part" for the days that have free time events, while "Abnormal days part" are for when a murder is about to start and you don't get to hang out with people?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Why is anyone even entertaining the possibility that Monomi isn't a collaborator of Monokuma?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522115&pagenumber=29#post410611327
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522115&pagenumber=84#post411429706
Notice when Monobear shows up the new rules are appended to the old rules. If this was a regime change hippie dippie poo poo like not harming the environment and hope shards would be out the window but instead these things monomi has decreed are now verboten with the force of Monobeast justice backing them up.

Haha. You MUST collect hope shards. Or ELSE.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

orenronen posted:

The sequence was just too long. At least you're getting an update a day until something does happen, I promise.

So what you're saying is there isn't a pile of dead Nagito, Byakuya, Teruteru, Kazuichi, and Mikan all stuck through with the same skewer?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Oronen: did you miss a {music stops} sometime when he went outside to check on gamer girl's testimony in there or why did you queue up despair syndrome twice in a row?

I need to know exactly which sentence has been singled out for emphasis!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

V!ntar posted:

I remember that in the first LP oren said that this game subverts many common game/mystery cliches... I guess that killing one of the most important characters first is ONe way to subvert the hell out of these kind of games.

gently caress I love this LP.

Also, were those nightvision googles?

The last thing Togami said to us was "if no murders happen I guess I'll HAVE to tell you everything" him surviving would have been the subversion.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What bothers me is there wasn't a gratuitous motive offered. Togami was killed, first, because why? He knew too much is the meta reason. He'd give the plot away is the meta reason he had to die first. What is the in game motive? Nobody was threatened with anything besides getting shot by howitzers if they tried to island hop or tear down trees. Why kill Togami, specifically? Monobear, or whoever is controlling monobear, has the motive and if it's a mole, who specifically took out Togami for knowing too much, they're going to get punished the first round so that makes terrible motivation.

Whoever did the killing needed barely any push at all.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Ugh Nagito is dead in the bathroom isn't he. If Togami died and he lived he would just say "oh by the way, everybody, here's the deal:"

e: okay nevermind I guess I'm bad at keeping track of where people are

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 20, 2013

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Evidence bullet: Togami is fat
He was stabbed by this six inch blade, right? I KINDA DOUBT THAT!!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

TKMobile posted:

There are two weapons in play here. A missing skewer and a knife from the store. You don't need two weapons to make a murder, so that means two characters were attempting to commit murder, but only one became a killer.

Unlike the previous game, this group of kids needed absolutely no encouragement what-so-ever to start killing each other, then. The last group needed direct threats to their family and friends to crack them. These kids are inconvenienced with an island vacation for two goddamn days and what follows is the murder equivalent of the three stooges all trying to go through a door at the same time and getting stuck.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I have only read this thread, the previous thread, and the wikipedia page if I forget the difference between several Japanese names, and somehow I know a spoiler. Not plot, not anything that matters, just what one of the ????'ed out main menu thing is going to be.

I am slowly driving myself crazy trying to figure out where I heard it from. I have read the OPs about a dozen times each trying to find it. Best guess, I think maybe it was a line in Wikipedia one day but edited out the next.

e: Oh thank christ! Mystery solved.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 24, 2013

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Peko has a symbol on her chest. I thought she tore her cardigan climbing around under the floorboards but I confirmed that white doodad was there before she left for the office. Oh well.

Why is Monomi bleeding though? Did she fall down in real blood? She's walking away with the evidence :mad:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Anyone stabbing up through floorboards eight times to kill togami would be absolutely drenched in blood, no question. The real killer is offscreen trying not to look like the climax of Carrie so I think peko is innocent-ish this time.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Catastrophics posted:

She could have been cleaning herself up in the bathroom, but that would mean sneaking a fresh outfit in past Togami. The only other person who's been absent for a while and had time to change is Kuzuryuu, I think.
The real killer stripped naked first, took a dip in the ocean, and is now trying to pretend their hair isn't terrible and smells and their clothes aren't sticking to them all wrong during the investigation phase.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Rawkking posted:

(Also an interesting tidbit/hint one of my friends pointed out on something the thread missed in that trial - in one of Maizono's mandatory free time events she apparently talks about how a mnemonic trick she had for her learning people's names is by tracing them in English in the palm of her hand with her other hand. Which also helps explain why she decided to and was able to write Leon's name in English on the wall behind her - she had practice!)

That was Aoi Asahina who drew it on her hand. She also asked "how do you spell that" and he said "like it sounds" because he does not have a tricky spelling at all but she acted as if he did.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I just can't get a handle on this because my murderer-below-the-floor theory now requires a still-living accomplice/patsy and I literally can't think of a reason they wouldn't just say "oh by the way I went for the knife because X told me it was there and to go for it if the lights went out. Seemed like a weirdly specific bit of advice but there you go". Togami notices this patsy fiddling under the table instead of waving their hands around in darkness and got stabbed while trying to stop some shenanigans. The tablecloth would have blocked out the glow from the paint so only someone who knew to crawl under a table would find it. Togami, with the night vision goggles, is the only person who doesn't need glow paint, and the only person that knife can't have been left for. (In my theory X is Peko)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What is that lower right setting? SMING?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

JT Jag posted:

The person below the floorboards would have at least seen Togami's white suit, I think.

The person under the floor boards would have seen the glow of the knife through the cracks, and then absolutely nothing (because a human body is blocking out the glow from the knife and it's pitch black in that room). The nothing would be the signal to start stabbing indiscriminately upwards.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

slowbeef posted:

You're still banking on the fact that Togami - and no one else - finds the knife first.

I'm banking on Togami watching someone trying to retrieve the knife, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Togami was never the target. The plan would have worked on someone else if Togami didn't have night vision and shoo that person away.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

slowbeef posted:

There absolutely is. Togami's under the table, he looks up at you, on his side. You stab him a bunch, he rolls down face down, dead.

I'm not contending that's what happened.

I am contending if you want to keep the "through the floorboards" theory, you have to eliminate chance. No murder plot involves the black out, the planted knife, and also "maybe someone will get down where I can stab them."

Well, maybe not a satisfying one. I can make a plan to murder someone who gets confused and walks down my alley to steal their wallet, and if it doesn't pan out and nobody comes I don't really have to explain myself to anyone. I think there's room for a pretty good guess where someone's going to be murderable at a certain place and time and it's enough to go on that it was worth a shot!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What am I looking at? Is that just a rubber mat so you don't slip or some kind of drainage grate that a short fat cook could lift up and scurry around under the floor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'm glad it's not a drainage grate, I mean for that to be the answer to the murder from under the floorboards they'd just have to be draining their loose meat juices into the dirt under the cabin. That'd have to be a health code violation or at least extremely nasty.

• Locked thread