Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Shai-Hulud posted:

Hey guys im looking for a good streaming video player for iPad and iPhone. Most stuff i can find on the AppStore seems to have codec troubles. No AC3 codec and stuff like that. I just bought a Zyxel NSA 310 and would like to use my iDevices as tiny TVs

Apple is requiring all video apps to remove AC3 support due to patent issues.

It's not a solution for everyone, but I just convert any MKV I download to MP4 with MkvToMp4, a free and simple Windows application that extracts video and audio streams from MKVs and remuxes them into MP4, with the ability to convert AC3 and DTS audio to AAC while leaving the video untouched, making an iOS compatible file. It can also convert SRT subtitles to iOS compatible closed captions, so converting foreign films isn't an issue. It can batch convert files, too.

The 1080p encodes that Apple sells on the iTunes Store are actually pretty nice, quality wise. Normally I hate DRM but I only watch movies bought from iTunes on iDevices anyway, so stuff like HDCP isn't an issue for me. I do still sometimes resort to :filez: if a movie I want isn't on iTunes or unavailable in HD, though, so MkvToMp4 is a lifesaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I really don't understand grown men who read superhero comics.

Anyway, maybe setting up an FTP, SMB or WebDAV server on your computer and using GoodReader to access it (and thereby access your comics) and transfer the files to your iPad would be a solution? GoodReader can't view CBR/CBZ files, but if you have a comic reading app installed, you can long-tap on the file(s) in GoodReader to access the "Open In..." menu and open them in the comics app.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a photo editing app that allows me to overlay an image on another?

For example, I have an image of a blank hockey jersey and I'm trying to paste a separate image of our teams logo onto it.

Photoforge2 can do this. It's actually pretty flexible.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Palaver seems like the big new IRC app at the moment. Haven't tried it myself, since the 10 minute background connection limit that all of these IRC apps have makes them annoying to use.

I used to use Colloquy but updates/bugfixes were few and far between and when they did come out, they practically always introduced new bugs. The devs just don't give a poo poo, it seems.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

None of that changes that the iphone basically requires full daylight and motionless subjects to get a decent image. :colbert:

Focusing on moving people is hilariously poor.

Try being me with hands that shake like a crack-addled chipmunk's. Totally stationary objects in partly cloudy weather become an out of focus mess :suicide:

That said, I'm pretty impressed with the camera in my 5th gen iPod touch. I've taken some nice photos with it, and the availability of filter and touch-up apps does help mask the lens/optics' shortcomings.

Here's a photo I took with the stock Camera app and did some quick touch-up with VSCO Cam. Tap for full quality.

Nothing special but for something that's in my jacket pocket it gets the job done.

Also, for low light shots, I've found that an app called Nightcap can help to varying degrees.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm a big fan of Decim8 and I'm wondering if there's anything similar on iOS for glitching videos or animated GIFs?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I just skip weather apps entirely and use this page on my iPad and iPod.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Chuck Bartowski posted:

This looks alright but it baffles me that this is allowed but AppShopper is a no go

AppShopper is high profile. I'm sure Apple will pull that app when someone notices it.

AppShopper is by far the best app price change/update tracker. It's a shame Apple pulled the app, but the site works just fine anyway.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Is there a mobile version of the site? Whenever I follow a link from this thread it goes to the full page

There's no mobile version. I don't have a problem surfing the site on an iPhone or iPod touch, though. That said, I'm surprised that AppShopper hasn't made a mobile version since the app got pulled.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

So USB Disk & File Transfer is free today. Is it any good?

Judging from the AppShopper page, it has similar features to Documents by Readdle and GoodReader, but the interface looks like rear end. If you're using an iPad and want something for free, get Documents instead.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Nope I'm using an iPhone. I don't really need this at all, but it's free right now and I thought I'd give it a try.

So I did and you're right; it looks like rear end.

There's an iPhone version of Documents that's supposed to be coming soon, according to Readdle's Twitter account. Keep an eye out for it. I've been using the iPad version since it was released and it's been really great for file management and whatnot.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

EC posted:

Does tweetbot sync where you are in your feed between iPad/iPhone?

Yes. You can actually choose to use Tweetmarker or iCloud to sync your place.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

EC posted:

Then it is time to ditch the official twitter app. :)

I'm baffled that Twitter hasn't implemented their own syncing function for the official app. Once you follow even just a few heavy tweeters, losing your place in your stream becomes a regular occurrence.

Then again, I think Twitter wants you to focus on what people are tweeting right now, instead of scrolling back to see "old stuff," even if that old stuff is only a few hours old. ADHD generation, for sure.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Any recommendations for an iPad (or ideally universal) SSH client app? I want to be able to shutdown my Mac from bed. Yes, I am that lazy.

Prompt seems to be the most often recommended SSH app.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Virtue posted:

I've become partial to having a text document open on my computer screen that has to do notes on it and was wondering if there was any app that would allow instant synchronization between computer and device? For example, if I added a note from my device I'd like it to automatically appear on my computer screen and if I mark the item as done on my computer I'd like it to also be marked as done on my device.

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but the Notes web app updates in real time according to changes you make on your iOS device.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Minidust posted:

I tried tumblr for the first time and made an account through the app. I skipped the part where you choose an avatar because I figured I'd just choose one later.

Now as far as I can tell there's no way to actually change your avatar in the app? Even after making an avatar through the web version, in the app all I ever see is the default pic. Any way to change this?

I've noticed this bug too. The app seems to be aggressive about caching avatars for some reason.

I'm not sure why the app doesn't have any account management features at all, but it is kind of annoying.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I use Google Tasks quite a bit. Is there any recommended app that integrates well with it?

I tried a free app called GoTasks the other day which seemed pretty good. Worth a look.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

SnatchRabbit posted:

Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but the old youtube app seems to lag really bad on my iPad 1, running iOS 5. I can go to the mobile page and video streams fine, but the app constantly lags out. Do I need to upgrade to iOS? I'm a bit wary that upgrading will make my iPad even more buggy and sluggish than it already is.

You can't install iOS 6 on a first gen iPad, as it's not compatible with it. It sucks, but the first gen only has 256MB of RAM and iOS 6 requires devices with at least 512MB (the exception being the iPhone 3GS, which was because Apple was still selling it until the iPhone 5 came out). Anyone still using the first gen should really consider upgrading to a newer model.

Have you tried the official YouTube app?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Google is killing Reader because gently caress you, that's why.

For a good alternative, check out NewsBlur. You might have some trouble with it not loading or being slow right now, though. Their servers are getting bombarded with traffic.

And yes, they have iPhone/iPad app.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

RSS readers have been too dependent on Google Reader for a long time now. Google Reader is essentially the only platform for syncing RSS subscriptions across different clients. That's not really a good situation, especially since Google hasn't seemed to care about Reader in years. Now that they're shutting it down (with a pretty good amount of advanced notice) we're sure to see a bunch of replacements pop up. Ultimately it's probably for the best that it's shutting down.

As I posted before, I think everyone should take a look at NewsBlur. It's very much like Google Reader, as it's hosted and can sync your feeds between devices. It's also open source, so if it disappeared for whatever reason, it would be easy enough for someone else to take over, or you could even run it yourself.

It can be used for free, but there is a paid option as well ($12/year).

It's a bit unstable/unreachable right now though, due to the overwhelming traffic they're receiving. But everyone looking for a Google Reader replacement should bookmark it for future reference once the traffic surge evens out.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

kerrhyphen posted:

I'm looking for a good check splitting and tax and tip calculating app. I've been using Billr, but NYC tax is 8.875% and Billr only seems to handle .25% increments.

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but give Soulver a look: http://www.acqualia.com/soulver/iphone/

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Off topic but just wanted to mention that iCab Mobile, which I consider to be the best third party iOS browser, has multi-part ("segmented") downloading options, for theoretically faster downloads.

Just choose your options in the Settings app:

Really handy.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

Or you can use wunderground and have accurate data.

Exactly. None of these "pretty" iOS weather apps are worth poo poo if the data is inaccurate. Weather Underground has very accurate data and maps, and the mobile site works just fine, even if it's not the best looking.

If you must have a native app, they've got one.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Does anyone know the differences between the free version of Mercury Browser and the 99¢ "Pro" version? The app descriptions don't mention any difference beyond video out for the Pro version.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Yeah Facebook is well on its way to being MySpace part 2. Everyone remembers why MySpace fell out of favor, particularly with younger users: it was flooded with older people, was riddled with ads, spam and scams, and more attractive services became available. This is exactly what's going on with Facebook now, and the reason Zuckerberg bought Instagram: he was scared of it, and for good reason. Unfortunately for him, he won't be able to buy all of the other services users are fleeing to. Most teens and early 20s people I know are really into Tumblr, Twitter and some mobile-only services.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't use weather apps? I have the notification center widget and that does enough of a job for me.

Then again, I live in Ohio so the weather is always poo poo.

I just use Weather Underground's mobile site. It offers a lot of info in a nice, clean design, and you can view an animated full screen radar map. I've never had a need for a native iOS weather app.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Kaizoku posted:

You know weather underground has a nice iOS app? http://appshopper.com/weather/weather-underground

Yup, I just don't have a need for it. The web site gets the job done just fine.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

The best photo editing apps are Snapseed and Photoforge2. If you want an app to replace the default Camera app, I'd recommend KitCam over Camera+.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

What's the best Last.fm app for scrobbling songs I play with the default Music app? [CloudScrob](http://cloudscrob.com/) looked promising until I saw that it hasn't been updated since iOS 6 came out and App Store reviewers are saying it's broken.

Or would sending my playcounts to Last.fm while syncing my iPod and iPad with iTunes be a more reliable option?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Cloudscrob works for me everyday. Maybe the last update was when iOS 6 dropped, I dunno, but I have never needed an update (since it works). The syncing option with the officially computer client never worked well at all for me, even back just in the iPod days.

Well CloudScrob is only a buck so it can't hurt to give it a try. Thanks for the info.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

KitCam and Photoforge2 have been killed and removed from the App Store, with only a moment's notice. A pretty lovely end to two of the best photography apps for iOS.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

randyest posted:

I like paper and procreate

Procreate is the bee's knees when it comes to drawing/painting apps. It's got a detailed and very responsive brush system, and the UI stays out of the way.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

After having success with using the IFTTT app on my iPod, I decided to install it on my iPad as well. I turned on background syncing on both devices, but for some reason, the location service the app uses for background syncing continually runs on the iPad without ever stopping. Has anyone else run into this? I tried rebooting, but no dice.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Are there any video apps that still have support for playing files with AC3? I have some DVD ISOs that I'd like to copy the VOBs from and watch them on my iPad, and while there are plenty of apps that support playing VOBs, none of them seem to be able to play AC3 audio...

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

For a long time now, I've been experiencing some weird behavior with trying to leave reviews on the App Store. If I try to submit a review, it just keeps asking me over and over for my password, and the review never gets submitted. I've tried logging out, rebooting, etc. Nothing has fixed the problem. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Google FINALLY added manual video quality settings to the YouTube app. Now I don't have to constantly deal with the app going from streaming 720p to 240p for some amorphous reason.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

It's worth mentioning that Filterstorm Neue is free right now as well. Normally $3.99.

http://appshopper.com/photography/filterstorm-neue

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Are there any good third party music playing apps? One that sorts everything by file tags like the default app, and preferably universal. I know of Ecoute for iPhone, but that's it.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I've been using Picky for a while. Its main draw I guess is some neat playlist building thing, but I've never used it. I only use it because it is literally the iOS6 music app in an iOS7 skin. Also pretty blurred album art backgrounds (that I'm pretty sure Ecoute does too):

Looks nice. A shame there's no iPad app. I might give it a try anyway, seeing that it's only a buck. Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Was looking at third party video apps. AVPlayerHD gets a lot of mention here, but App Store reviews indicate that it doesn't support DTS audio.

I've seen nPlayer mentioned here. It apparently supports DTS audio (and AC3). It has plenty of good reviews on the App Store.

Are there any other video apps I should take a look at?

Edit: Seems a lot of apps that previously had DTS support are being forced to remove it by Apple due to licensing issues. Probably only a matter of time till nPlayer removes it :(

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 9, 2014

• Locked thread