Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

petewhitley posted:

Did you make this app? It's still on the App Store, and has been since October (the "pro" version is also available for $3). It's apparently just another web app that streams pirated content, and it doesn't seem like there are any headlines whatsoever save for one reddit thread that has a (relative) handful of comments. I can't image anyone paying £2, let alone £20 for something you can just easily get from Vimeo etc. etc. for free. Even if this isn't some pathetic attempt to make your own app go viral, it took me all of 2 minutes to Google it and discover that it's basically garbage.

Erm… it's the #1 free app right now and the #2 payed

UK anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

smackfu posted:

Practically speaking, the "easy" things that it gives a developer are basic step tracking (like "how many steps since yesterday") and movement mode (like "is the user driving, walking, or standing still"). Step tracking is pretty much going to be the same in any app, and movement mode seems to be pretty hard to think of things to use it for.

Can it also know "ok this guy is definitely on a train/subway" as a mode of transport?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can it also know "ok this guy is definitely on a train/subway" as a mode of transport?
Nope, the options are "stationary", "walking", "running", "automotive", and "unknown."

madept
Oct 14, 2004
title...

ndrake posted:

Are there any 3rd party iOS mail clients that will allow an exchange passcode requirement to be applied to the app rather than the device? I can't find any. I'd like to have my work email on my iPad, but don't plan to check it there enough that the required device passcode is worthwhile. It would be nice if there was a mail app that asked for a passcode when you launched the app, rather than the entire device. I'm assuming this wouldn't be allowed because I could also pull calendars and contacts via Exchange, and work wouldn't like it if just anyone could see how busy I am next week.

I use Boxer for exchange and was able to add my exchange account without setting up the device passcode. It's also possible to add a passcode to the app if you want the extra security. Obviously this isn't exactly what you're asking because it's more a case of bypassing the security requirement instead of having it only apply to the app, so you could be breaking some kind of policy. But I've been doing it this way for several months with no issues.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

petewhitley posted:

Did you make this app? It's still on the App Store, and has been since October (the "pro" version is also available for $3). It's apparently just another web app that streams pirated content, and it doesn't seem like there are any headlines whatsoever save for one reddit thread that has a (relative) handful of comments. I can't image anyone paying £2, let alone £20 for something you can just easily get from Vimeo etc. etc. for free. Even if this isn't some pathetic attempt to make your own app go viral, it took me all of 2 minutes to Google it and discover that it's basically garbage.

Front page in technology on CNN, Fox, MSNBC and Google!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I didn't make the app, I'm just wondering when it's going to stop working. Maybe it's just using streams but they seem a lot higher quality than streams I've seen when browsing the internet on my iPhone.

One of my friends wanted to download a movie to his phone and was prompted to upgrade, it wouldn't give him a price and I advised him not to. Can't see Warner Brothers etc being keen on such a blatant app existing.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Lofty132 posted:

I didn't make the app, I'm just wondering when it's going to stop working. Maybe it's just using streams but they seem a lot higher quality than streams I've seen when browsing the internet on my iPhone.

One of my friends wanted to download a movie to his phone and was prompted to upgrade, it wouldn't give him a price and I advised him not to. Can't see Warner Brothers etc being keen on such a blatant app existing.

Ha ha, ok sorry! When I Googled it after your post these recent news stories hadn't yet been indexed. Strange that something like this would suddenly make headlines ... Is this the app we're talking about? It's been up since October.

edit: Also that link was still working when I checked it earlier, now broken.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 7, 2014

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

ndrake posted:

Are there any 3rd party iOS mail clients that will allow an exchange passcode requirement to be applied to the app rather than the device? I can't find any. I'd like to have my work email on my iPad, but don't plan to check it there enough that the required device passcode is worthwhile. It would be nice if there was a mail app that asked for a passcode when you launched the app, rather than the entire device. I'm assuming this wouldn't be allowed because I could also pull calendars and contacts via Exchange, and work wouldn't like it if just anyone could see how busy I am next week.

TouchDown does exactly this, provides a separate, sandboxed Exchange environment where security requirements are enforced.

Unfortunately, it is $20 and never goes on sale.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

petewhitley posted:

Ha ha, ok sorry! When I Googled it after your post these recent news stories hadn't yet been indexed. Strange that something like this would suddenly make headlines ... Is this the app we're talking about? It's been up since October.

edit: Also that link was still working.

The link isn't working for me but 'HDCartoon' is back in the charts instead which is apparently made by the same people, very curious.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Lofty132 posted:

The link isn't working for me but 'HDCartoon' is back in the charts instead which is apparently made by the same people, very curious.

Whole thing sounds very strange. :shrug:

Pan Ache posted:

That's a lot of questions so here's a few apps I've liked/found useful:
-Songdrop is a web and ios client that lets you add songs from youtube/soundcloud to playlists and then plays them in the background (whyd does the same thing and has more "social" features but is currently web only). I use it to play youtube audio while my phone is locked/I'm in other apps.
-Clean Links is a simple app that auto detects links from the clipboard and turns most mobile/overly referraled/tagged links into their simplest form. Mostly useful for youtube and other long site links.
-Keezy which was mentioned a few pages ago is a really cool little sampler/mpc style beat pad/music toy. I've always wanted more things like this for the phone and am surprised there isn't just a default yakbak or a more robust MPC sampler/beatpad combo (is there one out there?).

These are some cool apps.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 7, 2014

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Recommended app to download YouTube videos to an iPad for offline viewing?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Roobsa posted:

Despite its Engrish, FileMaster works well for me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've set a goal to walk or run 250 miles by July 4. I would like a simple app that I can set that goal specifically and every time I log some miles it subtracts. So I know every time I look at the app "I have 178 miles left". It doesn't have to be a workout app, could just be a custom countdown app. I've already got several fitness apps and none of them do this specifically.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mahoning posted:

I've set a goal to walk or run 250 miles by July 4. I would like a simple app that I can set that goal specifically and every time I log some miles it subtracts. So I know every time I look at the app "I have 178 miles left". It doesn't have to be a workout app, could just be a custom countdown app. I've already got several fitness apps and none of them do this specifically.

Runkeeper, Me tab (bottom left), Goals ("Set a goal!"), Trophy (top right), Total Distance. Set the distance, start date, and end date.

Edit: I'm just curious, why is 250 miles the goal? A much better way to achieve fitness/get better at running is to run for a set amount of time in a routine, and keep the amount of time the same while watching the distance you clear in the same amount of time get higher and higher. If you do an hour a routine, and run every other day, chances are you'll hit 250 mi in six months of that, especially if you have something tracking your everyday steps taken at the same time. 6 x 30 = 180. 180/2 = 90. 90 x 3 = 270. So, if you average 3 miles an hour, which most people do walking, you should be able to hit 250 by July 4th w/o having to worry about how much you've cleared every workout.

All and all, Runkeeper is the Good Reader of workout apps. The other two apps that I use on a regular basis Lift and Life Fitness Connect. Lift is great for managing any routine you want to keep, not just specific exercises (i.e. Drinking enough water, eating breakfast, making your bed, doing your homework, taking your pills, etc.) LF Connect is a pretty lovely program, as far as most people are concerned, but my gym has all Life Fitness machines, so it's convenient and allows for comparing progress against other members of the same gym pretty simple.

----

On another note, the first review for IFTTT on the App Store is "Pretty useless (1 star) by drjwer - Dec 15, 2013 Still can't figure a single use for this app. Not only do I neither have most of the apps in the recipes (Fb, Twitter, Instagram, e.g.), nor do I use those few that do appear (anything Google), but the very few that I do use, such as SkyDrive, I have no IFTTT recipe that could be used. Don't upload photos either. Glad some people are helped by the app, but it's useless for me."

What does this guy use his phone for, and what functionality did he think he was going to get out of IFTTT? I know this isn't an app recommendation or anything, but I'm just baffled as to what the reviewer was thinking, and why an app with a high majority of 5 star ratings's first review to appear is a one star from someone the app really wasn't made for in the first place? I know people like to harp about how the app store can be fixed, but this is a perfect example of how it is broken, and how only going to written reviews would only hurt certain apps, as the first review shown and the star rating are at direct odds with one another.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 8, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

Runkeeper, Me tab (bottom left), Goals ("Set a goal!"), Trophy (top right), Total Distance. Set the distance, start date, and end date.

Edit: I'm just curious, why is 250 miles the goal? A much better way to achieve fitness/get better at running is to run for a set amount of time in a routine, and keep the amount of time the same while watching the distance you clear in the same amount of time get higher and higher. If you do an hour a routine, and run every other day, chances are you'll hit 250 mi in six months of that, especially if you have something tracking your everyday steps taken at the same time. 6 x 30 = 180. 180/2 = 90. 90 x 3 = 270. So, if you average 3 miles an hour, which most people do walking, you should be able to hit 250 by July 4th w/o having to worry about how much you've cleared every workout.

Thanks for the app recommendation, it's exactly what I was looking for.

As for my goal, it's more of a symbolic thing. I suspect I'll eclipse 250 long before then, but I want to see a number shrink to zero. More satisfying that way.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Roobsa posted:

Goodreader is the easiest one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

cisneros posted:

Goodreader is the easiest one.

I didn't even know it could do this. How can I do it with goodreader?

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

tuyop posted:

I didn't even know it could do this. How can I do it with goodreader?

On the settings tab, there's a "bookmark for video" button. Copy it, make a new bookmark in safari with that, and next time you want to download a video, just click the bookmark and it'll open Goodreader and the video will begin to download.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Are there any good third party music playing apps? One that sorts everything by file tags like the default app, and preferably universal. I know of Ecoute for iPhone, but that's it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

hypersleep posted:

Are there any good third party music playing apps? One that sorts everything by file tags like the default app, and preferably universal. I know of Ecoute for iPhone, but that's it.

I've been using Picky for a while. Its main draw I guess is some neat playlist building thing, but I've never used it. I only use it because it is literally the iOS6 music app in an iOS7 skin. Also pretty blurred album art backgrounds (that I'm pretty sure Ecoute does too):

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I've been using Picky for a while. Its main draw I guess is some neat playlist building thing, but I've never used it. I only use it because it is literally the iOS6 music app in an iOS7 skin. Also pretty blurred album art backgrounds (that I'm pretty sure Ecoute does too):

Looks nice. A shame there's no iPad app. I might give it a try anyway, seeing that it's only a buck. Thanks for the tip!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Other third party music apps I've tried and liked to varying degrees:

Groove
Track 8
Beat

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just use CarTunes as I can't read the drat song title when I am using the iPhone in the car attached to the dash. It makes much better use of the screen estate, and uses gestures instead of on screen controls for everything. I don't know what you mean by "file tags" though.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Speaking of IFTTT, I want to automatically send a text to a set of contacts when I arrive at a specific location. But the only option I see for texting is the SMS channel, which only gives the option to send a text to the one phone number you've registered for the channel, which doesn't help me here. Am I overlooking something, or is there another way to do this?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mason Dixon posted:

Speaking of IFTTT, I want to automatically send a text to a set of contacts when I arrive at a specific location. But the only option I see for texting is the SMS channel, which only gives the option to send a text to the one phone number you've registered for the channel, which doesn't help me here. Am I overlooking something, or is there another way to do this?

Back in the flip and candy bar phone days I remember you could send a "text message" to people by emailing theirnumber@verizon.com or something along those lines. It's an ugly workaround if it still works.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Boris Galerkin posted:

Back in the flip and candy bar phone days I remember you could send a "text message" to people by emailing theirnumber@verizon.com or something along those lines. It's an ugly workaround if it still works.

They still work. Here's a long list: http://www.emailtextmessages.com

It's a huge pain having to know or lookup what carrier each person is on, unless you can script that lookup process somehow. The resulting text messages tend to have some weird formatting and it's easy to flood your recipient with garbage.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Huh, I'm surprised that's the only way to do this, but thanks, I'll try that out and see how well it works. Fortunately I already know the carriers of all the people I'd be sending to.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

fordan posted:

This may be of interest to you assuming you have access to Exchange webmail for work: http://appshopper.com/business/outlook-web-email

madept posted:

I use Boxer for exchange and was able to add my exchange account without setting up the device passcode. It's also possible to add a passcode to the app if you want the extra security. Obviously this isn't exactly what you're asking because it's more a case of bypassing the security requirement instead of having it only apply to the app, so you could be breaking some kind of policy. But I've been doing it this way for several months with no issues.

Ezrem posted:

TouchDown does exactly this, provides a separate, sandboxed Exchange environment where security requirements are enforced.

Unfortunately, it is $20 and never goes on sale.

Thanks for all the ideas. I actually have boxer, and it works fine, I never thought to try it. Unfortunately it uses the iOS address book, so I still have to add my work account (and the requisite passcode) to get access to my contacts. But both mail+ and touchdown seem to get around that. Worth considering. Thanks again!

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Just remembered a (potentially dumb) question I had about the App Store app. While I know not to put too much stock in the user reviews, I do like browsing the most recent entries for an app which has just been updated or isn't free. But the reviews always display oldest first, and for apps with hundreds or thousands of reviews, it's more effort than it's worth to get to the newest. Is there a way to make the reviews display newest first?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Hello,

I'm a long time android user that just switched to iOS. I've grabbed most of my favorite apps or at least their equivalent but I have some questions:

- Is apple's map application = to google's or should I go ahead and download google maps?

- Same question for gmail, should I get the gmail app or is the standard email decent enough? I read in the OP that the gmail app was better, but is that still true today, especially if I'm not doing particularly fancy things?

- Is a podcast app like Instacast worth paying for over Apple's free offering?

This one is kind of hard to answer but: Are there any iOS apps that, as an android guy, I wouldn't necessarily know about but that would be cool. Not like I used to X on Android and this app does X but instead, "hey this has no equivalent and is really cool".

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Xguard86 posted:

Hello,

I'm a long time android user that just switched to iOS. I've grabbed most of my favorite apps or at least their equivalent but I have some questions:

- Is apple's map application = to google's or should I go ahead and download google maps?

- Same question for gmail, should I get the gmail app or is the standard email decent enough? I read in the OP that the gmail app was better, but is that still true today, especially if I'm not doing particularly fancy things?

- Is a podcast app like Instacast worth paying for over Apple's free offering?

IMO:

Maps is fine but there's no harm in getting Google for a backup

I just use Mail so I have all me email in one place

Get Downcast (or Pocket Casts if you don't care about global playback speed)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I don't care about playback speeds but both apps appear to cost the same, what does pocketcast have over downcast?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Xguard86 posted:

I don't care about playback speeds but both apps appear to cost the same, what does pocketcast have over downcast?

Pocketcast looks a lot nicer. The only reason I use Downcast is because of the global playback speed option

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Global playback is awesome. Podcasts at 1.5x is awesome. Downcast is great.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

101 posted:

Maps is fine but there's no harm in getting Google for a backup
Maps is fine if you don't want street view or proper directions or use public transit or walk or ride your bike. 3D view is neat though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Maps looks nice, but it routes you the shortest distance, irrelevant of toll roads. And it doesn't tell you that the route has tolls.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

Maps ... doesn't tell you that the route has tolls.
You sure about that?

Valen
Oct 1, 2009
I used Maps to plan a trip to my grandparents house and the directions it gave were over 50 miles off. It wasn't even to the correct city. Google Maps sent me right there, so that was the last time I used Apple's Maps.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

And on the flip side, I've used Apple Maps to navigate all over the southeast and have yet to have one single issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
There is also Waze which is nice for the crowdsourced alerts.

• Locked thread