Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

(banner by Phiggle)

'Betus had me and Phiggle on his podcast a little while ago

:siren:Get MMD here!:siren:

:siren:In our continuing series 'Dectilon makes Phiggle play': Maldita Castilla:siren:

:siren:And now also Rockman: Minus Infinity:siren:

Have you ever played a game that kicked your rear end? Kicked your rear end so badly you’d grimace and swear at an inanimate object? Or one where completing it gave you a sense of accomplishment that most games just don't do? In this thread we’re going to showcase hard games. Both the terrible, baffling ones that seems to chisel at your soul until you, in pure confusion and frustration, give up. And the excellent, where thought and strategy is rewarded; the kinds that make you feel awesome when you master them.

This thread will be kind of a group effort. Each person involved will contribute an LP. The people currently involved are:

Charkie Silver Surfer
Chip Cheezum Incredible Crisis
Dectilon Gradius 5 (scroll down slightly)
Diabetus
GuidoAnchovies Shadow of the Beast
Phiggle VVVVVV
Psychedelic Eyeball Street Fighter 2010
Slowbeef Contra 3 Revenge of Shinobi
Violen
Thevoiceofdog Star Tropics Star Tropics II

But some additional ones might be added soon!

Feel free to contribute one-off videos and such! As long as it’s not completely terrible I’ll add it to the the second post.

I will start things off with...

Few genres have as strong a reputation for difficulty as the shoot ‘em ups. To do well you need a focus and precision rarely seen in other genres of games which can be intimidating. The worst of them are simply a repetitive grey sauce of rote memorization and luck, whereas the best are a crescendo of impressive set pieces and inventive visuals that keeps teaching and testing the player, and pushes the boundaries of what the player thinks is possible.

Gradius is probably the most famous shoot ‘em up series, and Gradius 5 is unquestionably the best. It puts more control in the hands of the player without greatly increasing the complexity. It keeps the level of difficulty high while reducing frustration and making it easier to learn. I hope I can manage to convey just how much I like this game, and why it’s an excellent example of a hard game done right.

Intro
Level 1 - UNIVERSE
Boss timeout - Looping Core

Level 2 - BATTLESHIP
Boss timeout - Death
Boss timeout - Tetran
Boss timeout - Big Core
Boss timeout - Big Core Mk.2

Level 3 - FORTRESS

Level 4 - CELL

LEVEL 5 - METEOR

LEVEL 6 - SOMETHING GREEN
Boss timeout - Rotating Core
Boss timeout - Spherical Core
Boss timeout - Big Core Mk.3
Boss timeout - Covered Core

LEVEL 7 - IMPREGNABLE FORTRESS
Boss timeout - Beacon
Boss timeout - Keeper Core

LEVEL 8 - FINAL ENEMY

Dectilon fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Allmightybob - Wizards&Warriors 2
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3

Capt. J. Linebeck - Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels
World 1
World 2
World 3
World 4
World 5
World 6
World 7
World 8
World 9

Deathchicken - Maximum Carnage
OP

Dectilon - The Adventures of Batman and Robin
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 4

Contra 1: Full playthrough
Super C: Full playthrough

Contra Shattered Soldier: OP

dis astranagant - Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco OP

Fragger - N+
1-4
5-9
10-14
15-19
20-24
25-29
30-34
35-39
40-44
45-49

FreezingInferno - Super Star Wars
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

- Contra 4
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9

Frozentreasure - pid
pid OP

Gammatron - 1943
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

GmanTheTank - Contra Force
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 4

KingEffinFrost - MightyBombJack
Level 1,2&3
Level 4,5&6
Level 7-10
Level 11-13
Level 14-???

Castlevania OP

MeccaPrime - Sub-Terrania
Mission 1-4
Mission 5-7
Mission 8-9

MyNameIsKaz - Banana Nababa
1. Voodoo Mask
2. Swarm Lord
3. Plague Beetle
4. Giga Slith
5. Gatekeeper
6. ???

Nidoking - Eryi's Action
Levels 1-3 Blip Youtube
Levels 4-6 Blip Youtube
Levels 7-9 Blip Youtube
Level 10 and Final Blip Youtube
Eryi's Action EX: Blip Youtube
Eryi's Action EX: The Final Boss Blip Youtube

Ragny - Hyper Princess Pitch
Death to christmas?

Tintin au Tibet
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Another world: Full playthrough

Simon - Megaman Dongs?!
Really?!

Snakemanmn - Journey to Silius
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3

Tomapella - Metal Storm
Level 1-3
Level 4-5
Level 6 to the end

Level 1, loop 2
Level 2, loop 2
Level 3, loop 2
Level 4, loop 2
Level 5, loop 2
Level 6 to the end, loop 2

The man with a hat - Batman
Stage 1: Gotham City (YouTube / Polsy)
Stage 2: the Axis Chemical Factory. (YouTube / Polsy)

The Proofreader - Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Act 1
Act 2

Tsym - DoDonPachi Daioujou Black Label (AAAAH!)
Level 1-2
Level 3
Level 4
Level 5

Level 1&2 - Loop 2
Level 3 - Loop 2
Level 4 - Loop 2
Level 5 - Loop 2

Xenoveritas - Milon's Secret Castle
First Floor Self-hosted (60FPS) YouTube

Zeiker - Kid Chameleon
Contra Hard Corps

Dectilon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 22, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

I somehow forgot that 'Betus had me and Phiggle on his podcast a little while ago.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Aw, that's very nice of you to say :)

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Sub-Terrania looks like a neat game that's moving a little too fast. Maybe that has to do with the difficulty setting?

If the music is done by the same composer as Adventures of batman and robin (which was awesome) it would be by Jesper Kyd. He works for Ubisoft now I think.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Level 2 - BATTLESHIP
Boss timeout - Death
Boss timeout - Tetran
Boss timeout - Big Core
Boss timeout - Big Core Mk.2

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

A little bit, but I'm just not good enough at the game yet to do it justice on higher loops.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Agh! You got me! I thought I had Death right, but I actually changed the names of a few bosses just because half of them are called big core mk.something.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Hampooj posted:

E: Ahh of course, I completely forgot VVVVVV was a newer game, cause of it's retro look. I guess that's what I meant. To phrase it a little better, is a bullshit hard FPS appropriate for this thread or is that not the right genre and this is for retro / platformers and the like?

No, no constraints there. I think that'd be interesting actually.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Bovineicide posted:

Is there a reason why you're playing on the 2P side? I know a bunch of older Cave games have scoring systems that favor the 2P side in order to even out wear and tear on the controls, but as far as I know, Gradius V was PS2 only. Just curious.

No other reason than that I tried to use a ps2-controller (bound to player 1), concluded I sucked at it and went to the keyboard controls (player 2).

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Time for a special treat!

A little over a year ago I was running a romhack thread, and Robot Goat decided to make a little game in game maker inspired by one of my terrible jokes (or, more likely, phiggle's awesome animation, as seen here.)

A short while later Robot Goat pm:d me and said that he was considering making a full megaman fangame, but that he wasn't happy with his level designs and asked me if I wanted to help. A chance to put theory into practice?! Of course I was in!

And now, we actually have something to present (well, robot goat does, he has done the vast majority of the work)! I give you:

download here!

It's an alpha you could say since we have a lot of levels and features left to add. But there are 8 playable levels, and I'd say that's something!

The controls start as z,x,arrows,enter but you can change them to anything.

The control scheme is the same as in megaman 5, so you have slide and megabuster.

I hope to have a little race of this at some point!

Dectilon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 27, 2012

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Hampooj posted:

I'm not exactly an editing savant, so excuse the maybe jarring mass of jump cuts.

No I don't think I will. If editing out deaths you can cut back to right before the place you died in. Cutting the way you do makes it really hard to follow along, and you have to stop every minute to say 'here comes a jump cut'. It's really annoying, and you even cut yourself off from talk about the game to say it.

Honestly, if you want my advice I say scrap this, take it to the sandcastle and make your own thread once you refine it. Judging from what you had to say about the game (including 'I don't know why I like it') I'm not sure this is the best place for it.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Yeah, I think this is in dire need of some sandcastlin', and maybe some tech support fort help with editing and such. Take it there, and make it into its own thing. I'd rather not clog the thread up with that stuff. Thanks for giving it a shot though!

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

One minor thing: If you just hang out on the right corner, Heat Man in Iceburn's stage can't ever hit you. Dunno if that's intentional?

Glad you like it! We're actually going to remake some parts of iceburn, Heatman being part of that.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Smash Daisaku posted:

So far I've managed to beat Punch Donkey and picked up his power, but I don't think I can use it yet

You can use it to pick up enemies.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Robot Goat made some fixes! I updated the link in the 'reveal' post.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Something I forgot to mention: the theme in Oysterman is actually an 8-bit remake of a song from Darius Twin. It was made by all-around cool guy xezton. A few of the fortress stages will also feature remixes by him.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

It's all taken from various games. Iceburn man is a theme from the darkwing duck nes game.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Taoto posted:

Yeah, I saw the updated one. I just didn't want to lose my progress. Oh well.

You don't lose your progress. The saves are created first when you play, so if you replace the game files the saves will still be there.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

It's a test to see whether or not you're Brightman.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

KingEffingFrost posted:

Speaking of, for everyone who's playing with infinite lives, consider turning it off and getting a few game overs. It's the only way to reap the benefits of Brightman, the Smartest Robot Master's collected wisdom.

Have another update. In this one you can get brightman's wisdom by pressing escape, so even the infinite lives-players won't lose out.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

So what is the device you're building? Is it Galactus' world-eater thingy? I'm assuming Galactus is the final boss, simply because it's a video game with Galactus in it.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

The music at the start of brightman is from R-type Delta. We're working on the fortress levels little by little, but there's no ETA.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Let's begin 2013 with me not even talking about the level!

Level 3 - FORTRESS

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

He's invulnerable when doing certain things. It shouldn't take very long to figure out when that is when you actually fight him.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

I love Dark Souls to death. At first I did actually experience some frustration with the inability to cancel swings into roll or block, but that was just me being impatient. Dark Souls isn't DMC. The enemies are perfectly manageable if you just stay cool, block and observe. Like I've said before, don't expect to beat a new challenge a hard game throws at you. You might, but you shouldn't be surprised if you don't. As long as you observed closely, and in Dark Souls this is especially true, the next time through will go much better.

Like Corbeau alluded to, if you know you will be vulnerable after a swing/jump then you make sure to only do it when you know it's safe to.

Alright! I love Dark Souls, but there are like 5 threads of it already. Let's not make this a 6th.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

It's easy to come off as categorical when talking about this sort of thing. Sometimes I feel games can have terrible systems for checkpoints or learning curve, but the gameplay is fun enough that I keep trying anyway. Actraiser 2 was like that for me.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Thanks! Yeah, I'll show off a bit of loop 2 at the very end.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

That game just doesn't look like it's made for combat at all. It didn't look like the final boss tested your skills at the game so much as "how long can you sway back and forth at the top of the screen?!".

Also I'm disappointed that the boss wasn't a giant pig.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Kindly stop talking about facecam.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

The flashing effect is a placeholder honestly. Currently you can see that the screen doesn't flash under the middle platform block, but it's going to be replaced with something more obvious. The oyster buddies attack needs a bit of tweaking though, yeah.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

I don't think I would enjoy playing Eryi's Action on any level, but I won't say no to an example of a game built entirely around being a dick to the player. It's a different brand of dickery from super bomb jack too.

edit: Okay, maybe that first boss... if it was in a different game.

Dectilon fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 10, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Hmm... The original mm5 gravity man bores me to tears (even for being a mm5-level), whereas I love the ones in WDS. I agree that that met should despawn once you're on the ladder.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

We have plenty of crazy ideas for the fortresses and the refights. And when I say crazy I do mean just that.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

RIP Uncle Eyeball :(

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Thanks Chip! Incredibly Crisis seems like exercise (the hardest game of all :saddowns:)!

Dammit Charkie, why are you killing skrulls in wheelchairs?! Also, maybe I missed it but, does your option protect you from bullets? It looked like one was absorbed at one point but maybe it was just a really close call.

Thanks KEF for somehow completing mighty bomb jack. That extra at the end just seems like a middle finger. What else could it be?

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Level 4 - CELL

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Valgaav posted:

Dectilon, did you mention why you weren't using the speed up upgrades somewhere and I missed it? Because that keeps bugging me.

I obviously use a few, but I'm just not good enough to precision dodge when my speed is maxed out.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Charkie posted:

It's time to go to Hell. A very silly hell.

Galactus knows that the best way to ensure the success of his servants is to withhold useful information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

azren posted:

The Silver Surfer stuff has made me want to see someone do the NES Captain Planet game for this thread; they were both games I remember fondly from my childhood.

Why don't you do it? :)

• Locked thread