Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

STATE OF THE ART, HIGH RESOLUTION GRAPHICS? A FREE MEGA MAN STICKER? SIGN ME UP FOR STREET FIGHTER 2010: THE FINAL FIGHT!

Planet 1

I actually tried this game a few weeks ago, and it does control fairly well. What I did against the boss that throws the random ceiling boxes at you is stand under where he spawns, and just mash attack. If you have enough range, it really trivializes the whole fight.

When I watched my friend play through the whole game, he really abused the backflip. If you learn to use it right, it's a massive help in a lot of fights because while you're in the animation, you're invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Phiggle posted:

We're back to main levels now, and after a chat with some of the crew, we'll enter one of the less intense, but more fun, areas of the game. Enjoy!

This is easily my favourite level in the game. I've always been a fan of screen wrapping as a game mechanic. It opens up a lot of possibilities for gameplay, and this does not disappoint. It's one area in the game where you really miss out when you see someone else play through it first. For instance, going through The Brown Gate (11:40), what I, and a few people I've seen, did was fall up, but it doesn't work.

quote:

This time you heard:
Pressure Cooker
Did you know that the random distorted voice clips are processed clips of Terry Cavanagh saying "V" in as many different ways as possible? I can't find where I learned that, but I'm pretty sure it was in an interview with Souleye.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm not good or patient enough to get V-ranks in VVVVVV, so it's a good thing the intermissions don't have ranks.

:siren:Intermission 1 Speedrun:siren:

On the whole, speedrunning through is fairly straight forward. In Don't Be Afraid, I always seem to screw it up if I just run off the edge. Even though it would be faster, I just walk along the ceiling.

For Do Try To Keep Up, the trick to getting it in one cycle is to get onto the edge of the platform, then just time your run across. Finally, in You're Falling Behind, I intentionally kill myself (press R) to warp back to the checkpoint. It saves some time because then I don't have to walk all the way back.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Phiggle posted:

gently caress you, game.
(soundtrack, we're still cool)

This time you heard:
Positive Force

drat. How long did it take for you to get that? I can't count how many times I've gone through The Gravitron, but I still haven't managed a deathless run. I think the best I've done is 2 or 3 deaths.

Impressive stuff.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Seraphroy posted:

Great level, great music, good challenge for a V rank (you REALLY want to move quicker than the game will allow because OH GOD THE TIME LIMIT).

I loved the Tower. You had a good run of it, aside from running face first into the spikes by going right instead of left.

If you're not familiar with how the game feels, dying in that section isn't as unexpected as you might think. Because you have to keep going further to the left and right there, you actually have to be pretty precise with your movements, turning around really close to the edge of the platforms. Messing up like Phiggle did usually means the spikes on the bottom will catch up with you, not you running into spikes on the side though.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Phiggle posted:

I really like the design of the final level of VVVVVV, especially the visuals, despite the fact that it leans a little toward needing foreknowledge of certain rooms to pass through them without cheap deaths. I think you could expect more deaths on your first several times than you might see here. Anyway, enjoy the ending, and I'll be back with bonus footage, tricks, and maybe some user levels!

Your comments on Vwitched I don't think are particularly valid. If you go in the center, it's painfully obvious that you aren't meant to go through that way. I wouldn't call that one surprise death unfair, especially when there's a completely safe alternative.

Something else I really like about the final level are all the little touches in the room names. The names are (almost?) all references to pop culture, or games, but with the theme of the game have V's interspersed into the titles. The other thing is that after you deactivate the dimension stabilizer, when you go into a new room, the titles change before staying on their final name. Just another thing that got destabilized.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Nidoking posted:

So here's the last Eryi's Action video you'll see from me, and I hope I managed to put on a good show and at least mostly keep up the spirit of the thread. Thanks for hosting the thread, Dectilon; thanks for putting Eryi in the banner, Phiggle; and thanks cKnoor for the Let's Try and Fail thread that inspired it all to begin with. I just wish it hadn't come to such a disappointing end.
With that, the thread says adieu to another game. Shame that was all that your effort got you. My condolences.

Fake edit: Where does he say he didn't beat the game?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kytrarewn posted:

I read his post as "I give up, I can't beat this" as well, especially since he talks about how he failed at the special trick for the final boss.

Everything he said was entirely true, it just wasn't the full story.

:thejoke:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Phiggle posted:

It's been a while, but here's one last video to wrap up as many loose ends as I can!

The deathskip trick as you rescue Violet is actually pretty easy if you know how the timing works. You just have to press V and R on the same frame when you clear the message box.

Something you didn't mention is that the room titles are now located on the top screen. It's one small thing that you might not realize, but is a really nice touch.

If you haven't played the game a bunch, then tried flip mode, you really don't understand how, almost disorienting it can be. In the video it may look like plain clumsiness, but it really does mess with how well you're able to play. The only thing is that the worse you are at the game, the less it affects you.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Choco1980 posted:

Regarding the VVVVVV sequence break, what happens if you wait to grab Violet until last? Does it still just null out the other characters, stopping your game flat?
I haven't done this myself, but either the other crew members would disappear, as they do if you screw up the skip Phiggle showed. If you pull it off, I'd imagine that they're all rescued, but you never initiate the trigger to go to the final area. Remember, the trigger to go to an intermission occurs when you warp out of a level. Since Space Station 1 ends after you pop out of the teleporter, and onto the ship, there'd be no opportunity for the game to send you to the final area.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Good god you need to fix the aspect ratio on that.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Buried alive posted:

Anyone have some idea of what all the special music used in Rockman RMI is? Pharaoh man's stage is an 8-bit version of this, for example. Cossack's 2 sounds really familiar, but I can't place it.

Someone else collected all the sources. One of my favourite tracks in it is Diveman's Stage.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I never played it on the Genesis, but I did have the Game Gear version. I never managed to beat it. I'm looking forward to dreading the lack of air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

dis astranagant posted:

First video: Introductory formalities

Not a lot to talk about with this one, it's pretty easy and good at lulling you into a false sense of security.
I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but where's the commentary?

• Locked thread