Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Proofreader
May 24, 2010

Ninja Gaiden, released in Japan as 'Ninja Ryuukenden', is a sidescrolling platforming action game that was ported to the NES in 1989. It is infamous for a steep difficulty curve that becomes something of a brick wall very suddenly around the endgame. It's actually a lot like the NES Castlevania games, but more fast paced.

Wait, port?

Well, sorta. Ninja Gaiden was released in the arcades, but was just a side-scrolling beat-em-up that has more in common with Double Dragon than anything. It is also Kinda lovely. This game's great, though!

How hard are we talking here?

Pretty hard. About halfway through Act II they get bored and start spawning fast enemies behind you, and placing enemies near ledges you need to get to and try to insta-kill you off of a cliff. Enemy placement in general is constructed to gently caress you over to a magnificent degree, and a fair amount of memorization is pretty much required to get through it. The last couple levels are considered to be basically impossible.

This isn't gonna be a pro run, by any means, but I played this game every day from age four to age eleven, when I, err... finally beat it. I'm running on pure muscle memory.

I highly recommend it, though, it's basically my favorite game ever.

Let's get started!

Act I: This is what Japan thinks America is like.
Act II: How long was I out?
Act III: The Bad News Birds

The Proofreader fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Proofreader
May 24, 2010

I added Act II of Ninja Gaiden here.

The Proofreader fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 27, 2013

The Proofreader
May 24, 2010

Danzel Glovington posted:

drat this thread jumped up to like 100 posts in a day with all these Contra LPs! I'm lovin it (ba da ba ba -loving BANNER)

Gotta give some love for the Ninja Gaiden LP as well. That's on my list of games to learn to speedrun, although I still can't take out all three final bosses in one go with no special weapsons so that always adds too much time to make my runs even somewhat impressive.

I will show you how to fight like a ninja.

The Proofreader
May 24, 2010

Interested parties can find Act 3 of Ninja Gaiden here.

• Locked thread