Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

FreezingInferno posted:

Do Or Do Not, There Is No Hard Game: Let's play Super Star Wars!

Well, here's an interesting little specimen. Released by JVC and Sculptured Software in 1992, it's Super Star Wars! JVC had previously released a Star Wars game for the NES in 1991, but this one is a much better game because it's SUPER. With 16 bit graphics and Mode 7 and stuff. Oh and also because it's a legitimately good action platforming game, with lots of running and gunning. One of those rare instances where a video game based on a movie wasn't total garbage. I suppose it helps that the game came out 15 years after the movie in question, so they had no need to rush development or anything.

This game can also be one tough little bastard. It doesn't rely on instant death traps to kill you(though there are a few along the way!). Rather, the game will throw lots of enemies at you and slowly drain your life away. For the most part, the game is pretty fair with its difficulty and you can blast through it... barring a few "unfortunate" segments. I'll be playing on Jedi Mode (read: Hard Mode) because this is the hard game thread and it feels appropriate. Hard mode doesn't really change much beyond giving you a little less health. If you can beat the game on Normal, you can probably pull it off on hard.

Part 1: In Which We Laugh At The Slaughter Of Jawas

I don't believe this! A let's play of SSW holy crap. I have to ask if you plan to go through all three games. Also, if for some reason you folks can't get enough of this game, I speedrun it and currently have a time around 90 seconds off the world record (this game is only run in easy mode for speed). If you want to see more keep an eye on the stream thread, I'll probably do some runs tonight and maybe when Inferno shows off the complete game I'll stream a run of jedi mode to see if speedrunning easy makes you soft.

The two sequels to this game are longer and absolutely not any easier, the only thing is they added a password system to give you unlimited chances at each segment of the game, or you could use a password to skip to the end. If I can maintain my sanity long enough I'm probably going to start running them, as the whole series played a big part in my learning how to play video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

There's a glitch you can abuse in all three of the Super Star Wars games where if you cancel your slide by shooting mid-slide (it actually has to be right near the end of your slide animation) damage will go straight through you.

I utilize this glitch on the "mini-boss" of the inside sandcrawler, if you slide up to him and shoot all of his projectiles will go through you. There's also a helpful glitch you can abuse to make the boss inside the sandcrawler not load up at all. If you hold R as you're falling down and keep it held the entire time you're in that lava area, the boss and Artoo Deeto won't load and you can just jump to the end of the screen and the level ends.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

FreezingInferno posted:

I just tried this. Holy mother of god you weren't freaking kidding. :stare: It doesn't even mess up your jumping any.

...you got any glitches to make the Kalhar Boss Monster a joke?

The best way is to get there as Chewie with many health swords and go to town on him with plasma by standing in the back. Sliding into the boss will push him back, and if you're lucky he won't charge you again, but as far as glitches, sorry but I don't think so.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 22, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

FreezingInferno posted:

This is it! We're gonna beat the game, and the surprisingly short Death Star segments that are left! The Force is with us! I recall there was a person who showed interest in posting a speedrun once I was done. I'd love to see that. Just sayin'.

Part 5: In Which The Ability To Destroy A Planet Is Insignificant Next To The Power Of A Plasma Blaster

Well FreezingInferno for that you'd have to browse my twitch page :v:

Honestly the best I could probably do is make highlight videos of the live speedrun and post the link here. I'll see if I can get a faster time than ever before today and if not I'll post my old one. I have to point out that my speedruns are on EASY MODE for this game, I'm not sure what the fastest I'd be able to beat Jedi would be but when I stream it, I'll highlight it and post the link here too.

If you want to go through the trouble of browsing through all of my past broadcasts before I go ahead and make the highlight, just start sifting through anything that looks like I was running Super Star Wars, or if you're lucky my channel will be live.

WARNING: Before I make highlights my best speedruns will be lost in the midst of hours and hours of resetting the game at the third level cause of the lovely PLATFORMS!

https://www.twitch.tv/danzel_glovington

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Okay I highlighted my most recent fastest time for the game which is just over 29 minutes 40 seconds.

I hope you guys enjoy, it's got some pretty shite commentary and music in the background that isn't game audio and I sing along with it... oh god is anyone gonna click this now?

Super Star Wars in 29:41 - It's a twitch stream!
Twitch's highlight feature is bugged. If the video has no sound try refreshing.

One day I'll get that world record.

And people are generally correct about the other 2 games. I've played both on all difficulties (many years ago) and I'll be learning to speedrun them once I've improved my time on the first game.

For jedi difficulty Empire sucks at the beginning (and some cloud city parts) and Jedi sucks at the VERY END when you have to fly your ship out of the second death star...very difficult stuff.

3rd edit: the link should work now.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 11, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Gammatron posted:

1943: The Battle of Midway is one of my favorite games. It's quite challenging, but still mostly fair. It's a "sequel" to 1942, another arcade shooter which was also ported to the NES. Both games pit you alone against the Imperial Japanse Navy and its air wing in the Pacific Theater of WWII. I've played both and much prefer 1943. Without further ado, let's begin. Single-handedly defeating the IJN can't be that difficult - right?

Part 1: Rikaku, Kaku, Ayako, Kakushi, and Kyoshu
Part 1: Ganryo, Choko, Roshuku, Ayako II, and Kayu

I played the CRUD out of this game as a wee lad. Me and my friend would challenge each other to beat the 4th level without dying otherwise we'd reset and let the other person try. Few were the days we managed to reach anywhere past level 4.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

drat this thread jumped up to like 100 posts in a day with all these Contra LPs! I'm lovin it (ba da ba ba -loving BANNER)

Gotta give some love for the Ninja Gaiden LP as well. That's on my list of games to learn to speedrun, although I still can't take out all three final bosses in one go with no special weapsons so that always adds too much time to make my runs even somewhat impressive.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

quote:

"The date was December 25th 1987. I can clearly remember the day. As a young 7 year old I eagerly awaited what was to come on this snowy white Christmas day. As I opened my presents and came to the last one I couldn't help but be slightly disappointed. As I opened the final gift all the disappointment was replaced with feelings of joy! There is was; a brand new copy of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! for the Nintendo Entertainment system. The game had been released just two months prior and had already become a huge hit. Toys R Us, the main videogame retailer at the time could not keep copies in stock and I had been getting burned out on Super Mario Brothers and felt it was time for a change. I played the game almost religiously over the next several months. The first thing that I remember after playing it was how great the graphics were and the comedic relief that came with each unique character. It simply does not get much better than Glass Joe's hilarious introduction or Super Macho Man's peck dance, and who could forget the iconic Mario as the referee. It seemed I just couldn't get enough of this game despite getting knocked out by the pixelated version of Mike Tyson over and over again. After weeks of trying I, finally, was able to get a clear technical knockout over Tyson in the third round, and as a youngster I of course felt on top of the world. It is safe to say that in 1987 Mike Tyson had become the biggest star in all of sports. In the 25 years since, I have seen Tyson become the youngest unified world heavyweight champion in history and the richest prize fighter ever at the height of his career. Only to later see him sink and hit rock bottom. He was even replaced by a character named Mr. Dream when Punch-Out!! was re-released in 1990. Throughout all of this I never stopped being a Mike Tyson fan and I never forgot about my own battles with the pixelated version. Unfortunately I no longer own my original copy of the game from 1987, however I repurchased the game in 2003 from a local game store after reading posts on a website called gamefaqs. The posts talked about a new strategy that was discovered to TKO Mike Tyson in the first round by original Punch-Out!! master Tom Roth. In the years since, I rededicated myself to the game, I made many new discoveries and was fortunate enough to achieve goals I never thought were possible. It is hard to believe that it has been 25 years since the release of the game and with the release of Punch-Out!! on the wii in 2009 the series shows no sign of slowing down. [...] one of the greatest videogames ever created; whether you like in depth strategies, youtube videos, are a fan or Tyson or even if you've never played the game. [...] I encourage anyone who has not played this game to give it a try whether it be on the original NES, wii [virtual console], or personal computer. Remember, above all else to have fun with this game, and that Mike Tyson is waiting for your challenge!"

- Matt Turk 2013
God gamer of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! who developed the vast majority of the strategies and holds many of the world records. This quote is unpublished and was dictated, not read, from the forward of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! Encyclopedia.

Hey guys in case you didn't know I love playing MTPO. Essentially it's a sports game where you play as Little Mac and with the help of your coach and mentor Doc Lewis, rise to the top of the World Virtual Boxing Association.

My goal with this LP is to show off everything I possibly can. The hard, and the stuff that anyone could do. Basically I have a lot of challenges I wish to accomplish in this game, but while I train to do those, I will make informative videos for each fight. My updates will consist mainly of information, secondary resources, challenges, attempts at personal best times, and bloopers.

There will be bloopers because this is all going to be done live. I don't make LPs much but I love to stream. This method will provide authenticity for my TAS (placeholder joke, prepare to get). It will also provide live chat which will be overlaid on top of the game. consistently strive for improvments in the a/v quality with each update.

And with that please sit back, and enjoy the fingerspeed!

Videos and Resources

*Intro Video*
This is what the intro is parodying, note the upload date
The original TASvideo by Master Phred that Amir Muhammadi used
We will dive more deeply into TASvideos and cheaters as the LP develops.

LP Updates (All youtube)

Glass Joe attempts #1
Glass Joe attempts #2, Von Kaiser attempts #1, and the Clock Stopping Glitch
Von Kaiser Personal Best - 37.48
Von Kaiser attempts #2 and Piston Honda 1 attempts #1
Piston Honda 1 Personal Best - 49.00
Glass Joe Personal Best - 42.00
Honda 1 attempts #2 and Don Flamenco 1 attempts #1
Don Flamenco 1 Personal Best - 14.97
Don Flamenco 1 attempts #2 and King Hippo attempts #1

Speeddemosarchive videos and youtube guides (SDA videos have audio commentary on track 2 if you download them and play through VLC)
Zallard1's video explaining how to beat Glass Joe 100% of the time. (youtube)
Sinisterwon's Glass Joe IL(SDA)
Sinisterwon's Von Kaiser IL (SDA)
Sinisterwon's Piston Honda 1 IL (SDA)
Zallard1's video explaining how to get the frame perfect star on Don Flamenco 1 100% of the time (youtube)
Sinisterwon's Don Flamenco IL (SDA)
Adelikat's King Hippo IL (SDA)

TASvideos Written Submissions and Videos by Adelikat
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Piston Honda 1
King Hippo

RedTom's Punch-Out!! Page
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Piston Honda 1
Don Flamenco 1
King Hippo

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 21, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Choco you're gonna make me tear up.

I'll obviously try to cover as much as I can in the videos, but I'll answer your question now as it ties into the most commonly asked: "Is this console or emulator."

I USE CONSOLE that's why the snowy static is shown before the game loads up and anyone who is even semi-serious about this game plays on console as well. The frame data is no different on emulator, meaning that the TAS can indeed be replicated, as long as the same versions of the game are being run, all TAS times can TECHNICALLY be replicated.

The reason nobody can play on emulator is because the inputs required are so precise that no possible usb port or bluetooth can read it fast enough. It requires the 72-pin connection which can practically detect an input with analog precision (I also play on an analog TV for the same reason, playing using an NES on flatscreens, LCDs, or HDTVs of any kind results in an even greater input delay than playing on emulator). Any sort of input delay whatsoever in this game makes many portions of the game impossible for human players.

Keep in mind I have no programming experience or knowledge of technology. My opinions are based on observation and casual research. If anyone has a way of explaining what I'm trying to in a more concise or accurate way, I implore them to correct and enlighten me.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Right, but it's not even for TASing purposes, even when not using the recorder on the emulator the input delay persists. Again I'm very interested in things like how emulators encode the frames, and whether they do it accurately. Keep posted for when I do more research in the RAM files (or look at research others have done) and see if I can find a definite explanation.

An interesting fact is that this game has been TAS'd since the early 2000s when Nesticle was the only emulator usable. Currently Nesticle does not run on Windows 7 machines, and I have been completely unable to watch the TASvideos made on Nesticle directly through the emulators like I would a TAS made in a modern emulator. These video files are publicly available but again cannot all be viewed because I cannot get Nesticle to work, including some movies made by Matt Turk himself. These files might give me more insight into the game and if someone would like to know more and possibly be able to access and reproduce these videos, I would appreciate a private message on my twitch account at https://www.twitch.tv/danzel_glvoington and I can provide download links for these files and advice on how you might help me see them.

You will have to register a free account to send me a message, I know this is unorthodox but the situation kind of is as well.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

OK I've played a bit more MTPO and made another video:

Episode 2: Glass Joe attempts #2, Von Kaiser attempts #1, and the Clock Stopping Glitch!
Von Kaiser Personal Best - 37.48

These links can further explain the stuff I mention in the video but don't show off. Sinisterwon's videos from speed demos archive are extremely well crafted and have commentary that discusses the strategies used.

TASvideos strategy guide for Glass Joe by Adelikat (Includes cs strategy, "Joe's TKO")
Sinisterwon's IL for Glass Joe - KO Flare
Sinisterwon's IL for Von Kaiser - Kaiser's Casualty Extreme
RedTom's Strategy guide for Von Kaiser including the now outdated strategy, "Kaiser's Casualty" by Matt Turk.

To hear the commentary for the IL (individual level) videos you need to switch audio to track 2 so I always right-click save link and use VLC.

I've also revamped the OP so the links are easier to find if you happen to be looking at it.

Tonight I plan to do live stream attempts of the KO Flare strategy on Glass Joe.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 23, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

BottledBacon posted:

I am loving this Punch-Out LP.
It's great having someone show off these things, i've actually never watched much of 'Punch-Out' before, is the Wii one hard or not so much?

Although I would suggest the chat at the side is completely unnecessary, it doesn't add any content to the videos, and if anything 50 emoticons of some guy's face slowly scrolling further up the screen is a bit distracting to the actual game.

I really appreciate the feedback. You're not the first to bring this up. The chat will be removed from all tutorial videos.

I personally like having it for inspiration during some challenging endeavors, but I've made the overlay less obnoxious, and any video longer than like 100 seconds won't have it at all, as I can still read it without capturing it. The reason for this is that some of these challenges take hours of live streamed attempts at a time on top of quite a bit of off-stream practice, rendering my commentating abilities quite depleted. If someone happens to say something hilarious while I have no material other than videogame rage I like to have it saved.

As a preview for the next update, watch this to see what the chat might look like when it's included for these short challenge videos.
http://www.twitch.tv/danzel_glovington/c/2629315

I always get suggestions to check out the newer games in the series but then I get bogged down practicing another challenge on the NES game. I've heard that the Wii game is very speedrunnable and even playable blindfolded. Maybe after this LP I'll celebrate with SPO and WPO noobie runs.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 25, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Von Kaiser attempts #2 and Piston Honda 1 attempts #1
My Piston Honda 1 best time
Me replicating the TASvideo for Glass Joe

OK, here's where my gameplay starts to dip below the people who have unique world records in this game.

Piston Honda 1 has had strategies develop that have been very different from each other. The earliest ones relied on the randomness of his moves going a certain way so that your star punches did the most damage. These old strategies could provide exceptionally fast times but required a lot of patience to get the good luck.

This is the webpage where all the documented strategies are described in text form.

Much later, sinister1 developed a strategy that lets you time these star punches rather than rely on luck for the damage, allowing for consistent fast times in the fight. This however does rely on Piston's second refill being low to obtain the fastest time. In my personal best video I employ this strategy (suboptimally) and get the bad refill which still gives me a time that I'm satisfied with. Continued practice of this same strategy is sure to get me better and better times.

Download the video in this link and listen to audio track 2 for sinister1's commentary on his frame perfect implementation of this strategy.

When TASing the game, Adelikat discovered many lucky punches can be chained to obtain a time impossible to replicate by human players.

You can see the submission here

The next update won't be for another week but it will start with the Piston Honda 1 fight again, so don't fret over the abruptness with which this update ends.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 15, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Just got back and I'm about ready to start an update within a day or so, but for now I'm posting to mention that Sinisterwon got a World Record on Piston Honda 2 in Mike Tyson's Punch Out (the game I'm LPing) and is going for a better time.

He's beaten the TAS but that's not enough, watch him live RIGHT NOW

https://www.twitch.tv/sinisterwon
He's gonna try to beat it again in the future

quote:

Thanks to McHazard for discovering a frame perfect star punch that Honda 2 cannot dodge and deals extra damage. I can actually get a 47.xx with better luck, I grinded this out in about an hour :0

-Sinister1 2013

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 7, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Hey everyone, back with more Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! strategy talk and a video.

Piston Honda 1 attempts #2 and Don Flamenco 1 attempts #1
My Don Flamenco world record fight

The "Goldilocks" star was deemed a miracle when obtained and named because you had to hit Don Flamenco in the face just right in order to land it on the correct frame...

Until Zallard found a way to change the game,
Zallard's video explaining how to get the "Goldilocks" star every time.

Sinister1's SDA video (always right click/download to listen to track 2 for commentary)

To match the TAS time you have to perform an additional frame perfect dodge after he gets back up. I occasionally get it so that's another PB that ties the WR and the TAS that anyone could get.

This page chronicles the development of Don Flamenco 1 strategies and includes alternatives to the frame perfect star explained in the video.
http://showbizpizza.com/tomspunchout/strat-don1.html

edit: My personal best for Honda 1 has improved on video, and I made a better live broadcast of me getting the TAS time on Don Flamenco 2 so now both of those PB videos have been updated in the links.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 15, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Don Flamenco 1 attempts #2 and King Hippo attempts #1

It looks like people have finished with their games here. I hope it's alright to just load some posts in here otherwise if there's somewhere this could be moved feel free to suggest.

Anyway this update shows a bit more of the game off but I did forget to mention one thing about Don Flamenco 1. You can use the clockstopping glitch I mentioned in a previous video to cheese out an even faster time. I'll talk more about this most likely by adding another fight against him in the next update. This is also why I have yet to post Don Flamenco 1's TASvideos strategy resource.

Adelikat has the individual level video for King Hippo on sda. There's no commentary unfortunately. Adelikat's sda run matches the TAS which he himself created. The only other person to ever match that time was Matt Turk.

The TASvideos resource shows the odds of getting the random number generator to work in your favour during a King Hippo fight as well as a strategy to ensure a consistent albeit slower time.

Here is the brief strategy page for King Hippo from 2003ish. Not much has changed with this fight, it is all RNG.

I don't actually have a PB video for King Hippo that I'm happy with yet. I've been able to get sub 50s off camera more than once so whenever it happens I'll upload it and add it to the posts.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Awesome Lost Levels videos. That game cracked the very fibre of my being when I beat each level as Luigi. Great work Linebeck

As for trying to explain more stuff about Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Tr33 posted:

Actually, you can emulate it quite well...

Also, I'm quite looking forward to when you get to the World Circuit. Some real toughies there.

Yes the game emulates, but it becomes nearly impossible to do certain things due to USB connections with my controller causing input latency. Even a single frame or two is way too much lag. The stuff I've shown off so far would still be accomplishable if I compensate for the input lag, but as the game progresses the tricks become far too precise. I even experience latency when using a keyboard since the emulator can't pick up the button presses fast enough. What it comes down to really is that the Tyson fight is nearly unbeatable using casual strategies, meaning that a round 1 on him is just out of the question on emulator. There are other things that would be way too hard to do but you could still stumble through the game until getting to Tyson.

For someone who can get through the game without any trouble on the NES, even simply beating Tyson becomes a hugely daunting challenge where you're basically guessing when to dodge since if you react the way you would on NES you're too late. The same thing happens when I play my NES on an HDTV, although a flatscreens input delay seems much worse than emulation.

But in short nobody who tries to play MTPO a lot uses emulator unless they're making a TAS. Casual players will probably find they can't beat Tyson without savestates and I would say if you practiced on the original Nintendo, beating the game in a casual manner would likely only take like less than 50 bouts with Tyson depending on how quick you learn things.

I'd highly recommend people play this on emulator but sadly the Tyson fight would never be authentic, it will be much harder for reasons that just shouldn't be present and simply don't exist when playing on NES. Beating the game on emulator without savestates took me HOURS of poking around at that last fight and I don't think I've lost to Tyson unintentionally on NES in months. And if you're not playing casually and want to get good times you're basically hosed and might as well try to TAS it with savestates.

As for the LP, I'm hoping to keep it moving since it looks like it'll be a bit of a long one, but I have some practicing to do before I can make the next update. Hopefully it doesn't take more than a few days.

• Locked thread