Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Straithate posted:

This is exactly how it is presented in the ritual and how most people interpret it. I have know many members of varying faiths, I myself am not Christian... one of my officers when I was EC was Jewish - so it certainly varies.

Not to say that I haven’t also met others that do interpret it differently and wouldn’t join because they are not Christian.

Yep, I was EC of a Commandery and am Jewish, and things are worded the exact same way where I come from.

I left the York Rite though, mostly because it had (weirdly) the most hateful and bigoted masons I've ever met

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SimonChris posted:

You are from Denmark, right? Denmark does have regular lodges practicing the English ritual, which does not require people to be christians (DDFL.dk). DDFL is nowadays considered an autonomous sub-body of the Christian DDFO, with the same recognition. DDFL has also recently been permitted to start Royal Arch chapters in Denmark, which would be considered part of the "York Rite" in the US (The US York Rite is basically three different smaller rites stacked on top of each other).

I haven't taken the Royal Arch myself, though, so I can't answer many questions about. All I know is that it supposedly completes the story told in the three degrees of Craft Masonry.

I believe DDFL is the CLIPSAS alternative I mentioned, yes.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Chubby Henparty posted:

It was interesting to see that when they mentioned having to believe in a higher power, doesn't matter who or what, that they apparently lost the student crowd and several left at that point.

I think some of this varies from lodge to lodge as well. I don't mean the requirement, but what that requirement means.

As an example, I think if my lodge knew I wasn't a Christian, they probably would've black balled me when I petitioned. I didn't lie to them, I just didn't ever talk about Christianity (and I still don't). They all just assumed I'm a Christian. In reality, I fall under the umbrella of deist and I think it aligns pretty well with masonic teachings. They wouldn't kick me out if they connected the dots now but I probably would not have been let in.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I just met one of my dad’s high school teachers at lodge tonight. Really is a small world.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

I believe DDFL is the CLIPSAS alternative I mentioned, yes.

No, they are not. DDFL is affiliated with the regular order of freemasons (DDFO) and has no connections with CLIPSAS.

https://www.ddfl.dk/generel-information/hvad-er-frimureri/ posted:

Andre frimurersamfund
Frimureri praktiseres i de fleste lande og stater i den frie verden og er i hvert enkelt tilfælde underlagt en suveræn og uafhængig storloge, hvis formål og standard er på linje med DDFLs.

Storlogers regularitet er afhængig af gensidige anerkendelser, der i de enkelte tilfælde kun opnås og tilbydes, såfremt en storloge efterlever og respekterer de gamle, overleverede frimureriske principper, sådan som disse er defineret af Den Forenede Storloge af England.

I Danmark tilfalder denne anerkendelse i henhold til traditionen DEN DANSKE FRIMURERORDEN (DDFO), der praktiserer frimureri efter et skandinavisk forbillede, som benævnes Det Svenske System, der kræver at den, som søger optagelse, skal bekende sig til den kristne tro.

Samtidig omfatter anerkendelsen også DDFL, som i kraft af en overenskomst er tilsluttet DDFO. Der findes imidlertid storloger og andre tilsyneladende frimureriske organisationer som f.eks. ikke kræver en tro på et højeste væsen eller som tillader eller endda tilskynder sine medlemmer til at deltage i politiske affærer. Disse storloger eller organisationer anses ikke for at være regulære og anerkendes derfor ikke, og frimurerisk kontakt med dem er af den grund ikke tilladt.

DDFL members are fully recognized by DDFO, as well any international lodge which recognizes DDFO. They require belief in a higher power and do not permit discussion of politics and religion in the lodge.

I believe the CLIPSAS body (http://storlogen-af-danmark.dk/) was founded by former DDFL members who disagreed with the decision to enter into a compact with DDFO.

The English language link I posted earlier also describes things in more detail: https://www.herts-chapter.org.uk/hertfordshires-royal-arch-in-denmark/

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 17, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SimonChris posted:

No, they are not. DDFL is affiliated with the regular order of freemasons (DDFO) and has no connections with CLIPSAS.

DDFL members are fully recognized by DDFO, as well any international lodge which recognizes DDFO. They require belief in a higher power and do not permit discussion of politics and religion in the lodge.

I believe the CLIPSAS body (http://storlogen-af-danmark.dk/) was founded by former DDFL members who disagreed with the decision to enter into a compact with DDFO.

The English language link I posted earlier also describes things in more detail: https://www.herts-chapter.org.uk/hertfordshires-royal-arch-in-denmark/

Mea culpa :o Thanks for clearing that up. There does seem to be a divide between the stuffy first order that has had Danish royalty as members, and the others. I couldn't possibly fit in with those, so it'll be one of the others if I get around to feeling ready some day.

Also, thanks for all the info on the rites! Super exciting stuff. I love all things ritual and magical (being a heathen priest in my off time), so I would probably get in on as many degrees as I was considered ready for.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Took the step of emailing the lodge near me. Ran into an old friend that has become a Mason and highly recommended to me. I've followed this thread for years. Very interested!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Aaaaaand this months lodge meeting is canceled due to COVID lockdown.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
The Master and Wardens retreat in Irvine CA is just starting. Looks like fun! They have the pool reserved just for us.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Okay, Freemasonry has my interest as potentially being a member as we come out of this post covid funk, but from what I can tell, in the Toronto/GTA area, there's 18 lodges that basically operate in this area.

I'm guessing that as a potential - it's like car shopping at this point and you need to knock on every door until you find one that you like?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I knew no other masons, so I just looked up nearby lodges on Google Maps, compared the few within a comfortable range, then sent them an email (found on their website). The email went to the secretary of the lodge who invited me to meet everyone before their next meeting. I wandered inside this building I had never seen before and was warmly greeted and had all my questions answered, with a small tour. Eventually I was given a petition to fill out, some guys gave me their recommendation, and that was it.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have visited a couple of lodges. I have visited some other lodges in the area now and although it is all technically the same, the mood was different between lodges, and of course the lodge itself differed. Some were more comfortable, some were more formal, etc. I would also note how many guys you see at each visit, assuming each time you visit you see an average turnout (which may not be the case).

I am lucky - if I saw all the nearby lodges beforehand I still would have picked the one I'm at now. Of course, nothing is really stopping you from going wherever you want once you're a member (sort of), but I think your home lodge is important.

Not expecting you to read every page or anything but this is what I've posted before about my experience. So I'd say it depends on what you are looking for - some places take individual aspects very seriously, so if that matters to you I would seek those out.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I've been doing this for more than a quarter of my life now, and I'm finally in the lodge leadership... by choice.

There's two kinds of lodge that I've seen (very much IMO):

There are lodges that have had a large membership forever, an unbroken line of officers with the commensurate property and training a new officer might need to run the place.

Then there's the obviously other kind. That kind comes with a lot of responsibility. A real opportunity to rebuild from the ground up. Like a level plot of ground for a person with great planning skills, conflict resolution capabilities and a desire to learn on their feet, these places are full of people who've been actively looking for you to rebuild what you can for the men of your generation.

If you're a casual, find the first kind.

I personally want you to enjoy your time with us, so do what you will, but don't do it with blinders on.
One of the things I found most refreshing at that retreat with the open bar, was the push by the Grand lodge of California to make diversity in leadership a priority. The push for greater visibility was, interesting in the way it was stated.
I'm not sure what you'll find in Canada, but I'm sure it'll fit the dichotomy I've observed.

This is what I'm reprinting for the trestleboard of my lodge this month. I was going to go over it, and the responses I found next month. It seems to be an ongoing debate of the direction we should be going in.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/28/937228086/freemasons-say-theyre-needed-now-more-than-ever-so-why-are-their-ranks-dwindling

Here's a response I found particularly thought provoking.

http://www.midnightfreemasons.org/2020/12/npr-missed-point.html

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Personally I would first find out what nights the lodges meet and make sure you can commit to practice and ceremony nights in advance (my guys meet on the last Friday of the month which is ideal for me with work and I don't have to worry about hangovers etc)

The next would be understanding the general demographics of the Lodge. I find you want an even spread of younger masons who want to make it part of their social life and older more experienced members to mentor and guide the lodge to ensure its not some frat house.

A quick google search should help you with most of that, the next step is making formal contact with a lodge. Just be aware that most lodges aim to increase membership so you may find yourself in high demand (five lodges meet in my building) and if you are a strong candidate they will all want you. Pick the one that you feel most comfortable with that meet on nights you know you can attend.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Solvent posted:

This is what I'm reprinting for the trestleboard of my lodge this month. I was going to go over it, and the responses I found next month. It seems to be an ongoing debate of the direction we should be going in.

I think there is an interesting debate about recruitment and retention going on right now, especially with the UGLE. Some are worried about membership falling off a cliff edge as time stakes its claim. I've heard from a few now that what they crave is stability. The new membership pathway and Lodge Membership Officers have shaken a few things up - it's needed for new members but some are worried about whether the 'old guard' will return post-covid.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I’ve heard this concern about the old guard staying away. There was some worry about that around here. So far it’s proved to be no concern. As soon as California opened up on the 15th, boomers showed up in droves. I don’t know about LA, I heard they still have to wear masks and roll with the site protection plans, but San Diego has something like a 75% vaccination rate. I’ve heard so many stories in the last couple weeks about how dumb Newsom is, what crap it is that nobody wore masks anywhere else but we had to here, and I’m glad for it, all of it.

Those denture smiles are good to see in person again, that cognitive dissonance is the same as it is everywhere, just not as hard edged. If I’m having good natured arguments with my -literally- old friends about governor Patrick Bateman, laughing and joking that after a year and a half of smoking pot and playing video games, the 70 year old secretary is in better shape than I am, I’m having a great time.

We did a hell of a lot to improve our hall over the closure, and though it’s seeing its share of belated memorial services now, these events are still joyous because of men and women glad to be reunited with their long time communities.

Lucky for me there’s have a refugee camp outside of the Al Bhar shrine and someone accidentally turned our Sottish Rite building into a swimming pool this month.

Now everyone’s gotta come back to the blue lodge.

I’ll be right here for the near future, grilling prime steaks, talking wine, cracking jokes, walking to a pub with anyone who’ll go, and showing people of every opinion what brotherly love is all about.

PM a brotha if you show up for vacation, I’ll throw another one on the grill just for you.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That's really encouraging and I hope that bears out when we go back.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I did the Why's and Wherefor's on the 1st degree the other night. Did it flawlessly, which was really nice, especially after the Q&As was unfortunately badly muffed right before. I need to find a new piece of ritual to do now. I was thinking working tools for the 3rd degree, but that seems to be too easy mode. Perhaps Q&As for the 3rd, since no one in my jurisdiction needs to memorize it.

How are you brothers doing now that covid is starting to hopefully go away?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm filling the dance card for a long anticipated first degree next month, though today when I went in to talk to the secretary, he cautioned me that because of recent announcements, he's concerned the whole state of California is going to follow LA's lead and shut back down. In spite of San Diego's %75+ vaccination rate, we may be out of lodge again.

I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Regarding the next piece of ritual to learn, if you're not focused on qualifying then a charge is always useful.

This weekend I was planning on putting together something for Masonic education. Eventually I'm going to be generating content for our website once it's overhauled, seems like it's a good idea to start now. I have to find out what everyone else is willing to do for the degree before I go naming names and pointing fingers. There's a lot of work to be put in before everyone is ready, I want to see who has time and inclination before I start envisioning the future of our lodge.

There's always more to be done it seems.

Please, gently encourage people to get vaccinated brothers.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Charges sound like very important thing every mason should know by heart TBH. I think I will try to work on the 2nd charge since we are doing that in October, and our WM is doing the middle chamber.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Just FYI there are two OES pins going on the first commercial space flight (hopefully) today as one astronaut's personal items

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

That’s pretty cool. Makes me wonder what kinds of Masonic things Buzz Aldrin brought with him.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Bargearse posted:

That’s pretty cool. Makes me wonder what kinds of Masonic things Buzz Aldrin brought with him.

http://tl2k.org/history/

Tranquility Lodge posted:

On July 20, 1969, two American Astronauts landed on the moon of the planet Earth, in an area known as Mare Tranquilitatis , or “Sea of Tranquility”. One of those brave men was Brother Edwin Eugene (Buzz) Aldrin, Jr., a member of Clear Lake Lodge No. 1417, AF&AM, Seabrook, Texas. Brother Aldrin carried with him SPECIAL DEPUTATION of then Grand Master J. Guy Smith, constituting and appointing Brother Aldrin as Special Deputy of the Grand Master, granting unto him full power in the premises to represent the Grand Master as such and authorize him to claim Masonic Territorial Jurisdiction for The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, on The Moon, and directed that he make due return of his acts. Brother Aldrin certified that the SPECIAL DEPUTATION was carried by him to the Moon on July 20, 1969.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Anyone attend any lodges in NYC? Been considering getting back into Masonry, but there are so many lodges in the Grand Lodge in Manhattan, I don’t know where to begin.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

First installation and meeting ind two years, good to be back. Cheers this table / forums

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Chubby Henparty posted:

First installation and meeting ind two years, good to be back. Cheers this table / forums

Congrats! A few weeks ago I got installed and in the spring my friend got his first degree. Finally back on track.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Wait a minute, does this mean that Texas has a real claim on jurisdiction over the moon?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Solvent posted:

Wait a minute, does this mean that Texas has a real claim on jurisdiction over the moon?

Yep.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

Masonic jurisdiction, sure. Like, if you want to start a masonic lodge on the moon, you need to talk to the Grand Lodge of Texas, but that's about it.

The state of Texas makes no claim to the moon.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Stumbled upon this thread again, which predecesser helped make me a Mason.
Attended my first temple meeting in a year and a half last week. The attendees were capped at 35 due to covid regulations, almost 40 brothers showed up, nothing unexpected there. Good times, some people did not recognize me, it was funny (I lost a lot of hair and weight over the last two years). Then I forgot my apron at the temple, I hope someone put it with the other stuff. Good thing I marked it with my lodge and initials.

Something worth mentioning is that a former WM of our lodge took the Dutch rituals, translated them to English and got a charter from the Grand Orient of the Netherlands. We now have an English language lodge in Amsterdam, regular and everything.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 27, 2021

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Keetron posted:

We now have an English language lodge in Amsterdam, regular and everything.

Nice! There is also an English language one in Helsinki, recognized by the Finnish Grand Lodge.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ataxerxes posted:

Nice! There is also an English language one in Helsinki, recognized by the Finnish Grand Lodge.

Which ritual do you use? Local ritual translated into english or another jurisdictions?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Cimber posted:

Which ritual do you use? Local ritual translated into english or another jurisdictions?

I'm not certain as I am a member of a Finnish speaking one, but to my understanding they use one originally from the US or the UK, can't remember which. The Finnish ritual was originally translated around 1920's by some Finns from the US who got their degrees in the US, moved back to Finland and got their translated ritual approved by several US Grand Lodges. To my understanding the Finnish Grand Lodge is rather widely recognized.

The Swedish ritual is entirely its own thing, but the Finnish Grand Lodge has an agreement with them so brothers from one can visit the other, depending which, if any, attendant degrees they are members in.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ataxerxes posted:

I'm not certain as I am a member of a Finnish speaking one, but to my understanding they use one originally from the US or the UK, can't remember which. The Finnish ritual was originally translated around 1920's by some Finns from the US who got their degrees in the US, moved back to Finland and got their translated ritual approved by several US Grand Lodges. To my understanding the Finnish Grand Lodge is rather widely recognized.

The Swedish ritual is entirely its own thing, but the Finnish Grand Lodge has an agreement with them so brothers from one can visit the other, depending which, if any, attendant degrees they are members in.

Thats very interesting!

How do you title your lodges? Here in the US its either AF&AM or F&AM depending who chartered them back in the colonial days.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Cimber posted:

Thats very interesting!

How do you title your lodges? Here in the US its either AF&AM or F&AM depending who chartered them back in the colonial days.

For us V.O.M. pretty much always means that the lodge is accepted by the Grand Lodge, I can't remember what the Swedish ones use.

Fair_Winds
Feb 26, 2018
I have a couple questions about joining, on the inquiry form it asks about employment status. Will my financial status impact my chances of joining a lodge? Should I just wait until I'm more financially stable? I've been thinking about this for over a year now. I'm sure I'd like to join, since I now have control over my own schedule. As opposed to being at the whim of the Consumer Retail Management Structures and a Site Foreman. I left my last job a month ago to focus on building myself a profitable business that allows me the freedom to be someone other than the business. Should I wait, just fill-out the form, or message the one guy I know from the radio club and ask? Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fair_Winds posted:

I have a couple questions about joining, on the inquiry form it asks about employment status. Will my financial status impact my chances of joining a lodge? Should I just wait until I'm more financially stable? I've been thinking about this for over a year now. I'm sure I'd like to join, since I now have control over my own schedule. As opposed to being at the whim of the Consumer Retail Management Structures and a Site Foreman. I left my last job a month ago to focus on building myself a profitable business that allows me the freedom to be someone other than the business. Should I wait, just fill-out the form, or message the one guy I know from the radio club and ask? Any advice is welcome, thanks!

I don't think any lodge really cares all that much what your financial situation is like, other than concern if dues and initiation fees would be too burdensome for you. Dues can range from anywhere between 50-150 a year depending on the lodge, and initiation fees might be 2-300. All that would be explained to you before you sign on the dotted line.

For sure talk to the guys at the lodge and ask any question you might have.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Fair_Winds posted:

At least in my area of the US, employment/income shouldn't be an issue. We've had burger flippers and barely employed handymen join before. If you're a good man, you're generally in I'd wager.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I think I've even seen those initiation fees waived for hardship as well. I've not really seen a lodge that's "in it for the money" even a little bit.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I think I've even seen those initiation fees waived for hardship as well. I've not really seen a lodge that's "in it for the money" even a little bit.

Any lodge that is in it for the money isn't a lodge you want to join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Same, but only after someone had been a member already and showed he ran upon hardship after joining. If you have trouble paying your membership fees, you need to focus on other things as it is not that much money.