Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think you mounted it wrong it's falling off the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Not saying Samsung is bad at CEC, but my Samsung TV would never turn on my Samsung soundbar, while my Hisense TV does. :raise:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
CEC is a dice roll. My PS4 and Switch can turn my KS7/8000 on but not off. The TV can turn my Switch off but not on and the PS4 on but not off. My Apple TV can flawlessly control the TV but also sometimes just wakes up on its own and turns everything on, and the TV can wake it up but not reliably. My receiver is the only component in the chain that seems to work flawlessly with everything and whose remote I've never had to touch.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Jeoh posted:

(to make this an actual useful post, I'm looking at 55" TVs, preferably with OLED. Current candidates are the Philips 55OLED804 (mostly because I have a shitload of Hue stuff and Ambilight is cool), Samsung QLED QE55Q90T, and the LG OLED55CX6LA)

I would get the LG and the Hue Sync Box before I get the Phillips. The CX has HDMI 2.1 and the Phillips does not.

Q90's not an OLED -- hopefully you realize that -- and while it's a nice high end TV I think the OLED is clearly better.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Arc and CEC ain't what they should be, and I've been using both for years. The best is when I'll get system sounds from my tv moving about menu items, then no sound when I play a video in any app

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have advice on a mount or TV that would let me put my Xbox and Comcast box underneath the TV, on top of my “entertainment center”? I’m looking for a replacement for an 8-year old 30” TV.

I have about 40-50” horizontal to work with to fit both the TV and the stack of gadgetry. I can’t put the stuff in the center because it’s all opaque drawers with poor ventilation, so the TV remote wouldn’t work and the Xbox would probably overheat and die.

As for TVs, I was looking at the Hisense H9G posted about earlier in the thread. Seems like a decent option? I don’t think I really want to spring for a full OLED screen, seems expensive and even if I would notice the difference I don’t know better yet so I can suck it up for a while.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, I like the H9G. Enjoying the Hell out of it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

KS posted:

I would get the LG and the Hue Sync Box before I get the Phillips. The CX has HDMI 2.1 and the Phillips does not.

Q90's not an OLED -- hopefully you realize that -- and while it's a nice high end TV I think the OLED is clearly better.

Good points. I found out I can get a nice discount on the LG OLED55GX6LA (it'll be a hundred bucks more than the CX), so looks like I'll go for that and start removing concrete to make it look nice.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jeoh posted:

Good points. I found out I can get a nice discount on the LG OLED55GX6LA (it'll be a hundred bucks more than the CX), so looks like I'll go for that and start removing concrete to make it look nice.

Where’d you find that deal?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

How bad of a decision would it be to grab this Sony X750H? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-x750h-series-4k-uhd-tv-smart-led-with-hdr/6401053.p?skuId=6401053

It seems to be a decent TV from what I've read online. Not looking for anything super amazing since we have two little kids that I'm sure will manage to toss a remote at the screen or something. Budget is $750-ish, and would prefer to pick it up at Best Buy for a faster return if it wasn't to my liking. 65" seems to be the size that would fit our living area the best.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TCL at 65" will be look better and mayy be cheaper?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
jfc finding a 2020 Samsung without Alexa built in is not easy. I am stubborn as a mule about that stuff. I will just buy a gatorcase to fit a 40-43" tv. Hopefully it'll fit in the cab of my truck along with the case for my (27 inch) monitor. I get worried about putting monitors in the bed piled on top of all my random poo poo.
Edit: Will just get TCL 43" 2018 model because it's only $200 something.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 2, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
If I buy a TCL "Roku" TV, can't it load straight to a raspberry pi/hdmi device? I had a tcl roku tv that came with an AirBNB earlier this year, and it sucked rear end. Everytime I had to punch all these dumb buttons on the back and menu dive upon boot to get it to the right HDMI instead of the lovely boot up screen with software I don't care about.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

excellent bird guy posted:

If I buy a TCL "Roku" TV, can't it load straight to a raspberry pi/hdmi device?
I *think* there's a default signal setting that would allow you to go straight to whatever USB/HDMI input you need upon boot. But I'm not 100% on that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

excellent bird guy posted:

If I buy a TCL "Roku" TV, can't it load straight to a raspberry pi/hdmi device? I had a tcl roku tv that came with an AirBNB earlier this year, and it sucked rear end. Everytime I had to punch all these dumb buttons on the back and menu dive upon boot to get it to the right HDMI instead of the lovely boot up screen with software I don't care about.

No idea what you're on about unless your TV just didn't have a remote? But yes there is an option to boot to a specific HDMI or even "last used HDMI"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FilthyImp posted:

I *think* there's a default signal setting that would allow you to go straight to whatever USB/HDMI input you need upon boot. But I'm not 100% on that.

It has this for HDMI, for sure.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a 50” version or something equivalent to the Hisense H9G? I can probably fit a 55” in my space but my wife is already grumpy about getting a tv bigger than 40” for some insane reason.

E: I guess the question is what’s the difference between the H9G and H8G?

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 2, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Stood in walmart for an hour researching TVs. I wanted a TCL 5 series, but they only had a 4. So I will drive 2 hours to Best Buy. God being so compulsive about picking the right 43-50" tv

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Price is the biggest difference.
Sleuthing indicates the 8G has fewer local dimming zones, a wider-set stand (may not be an issue for the 50"), approximately 2/3 the peak brightness, so HDR won't pop as much (still brighter than the Q60 or 70), and is 60Hz instead of 120. Android Police has also indicated some issues with the UI when streaming in their review.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Arcturas posted:

Is there a 50” version or something equivalent to the Hisense H9G? I can probably fit a 55” in my space but my wife is already grumpy about getting a tv bigger than 40” for some insane reason.

Buy the 55" and install it and throw away the box when she's not looking. She'll get used to it quickly enough, my girlfriend was initially sceptical about our need for that size of TV and quickly came on board.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is there a setting that will stop my Xbox turning off the Samsung TV when it shuts down?

I think it's tied into the TV being linked to the box but I don't want to get rid of that, just tweak its settings.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw this article on my News Feed, and figured that it is relevant to this threads interests.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/08/02/lg-confirms-2019-oled-tvs-wont-get-key-gaming-feature/

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there a setting that will stop my Xbox turning off the Samsung TV when it shuts down?

I think it's tied into the TV being linked to the box but I don't want to get rid of that, just tweak its settings.

Samsung CEC is called anynet+. Look for that. Some tvs it’s all or nothing I think, but some have the option to block on/off.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The Question IRL posted:

I saw this article on my News Feed, and figured that it is relevant to this threads interests.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/08/02/lg-confirms-2019-oled-tvs-wont-get-key-gaming-feature/

This talks about the PS5 and XboxX, but aren't those using HDMI Forum VRR and not FreeSync?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Dig through the Xbox settings, it has a menu I wish everything had for options of when to send what for power events

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Fedule posted:

This talks about the PS5 and XboxX, but aren't those using HDMI Forum VRR and not FreeSync?

Yeah, having 120Hz HDMI VRR is the key feature, I think FreeSync would have been nice for some people but wasn't expected. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Basic rule of thumb on Forbes 'contributor' articles is ignore them, it's a glorified blogging platform.

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

Are there any reasonable OLED options at 85+? I'm guessing not since the 77" ones are ~$4500. We're moving into our new house next month and I think we will need a large screen once the basement is finished. I don't have exact measurements since we aren't in it yet but I think the viewing distance is going to be ~15'.

I'm assuming that the reasonably priced 85" LED TVs wouldn't be worth it compared to an OLED one. If we are spending that much money quality is more important than overall size probably.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, my take on that situation is get an oled in your price range for primary viewing and get a short throw projector and a retractable screen for large screen viewing.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

So, after having a (very good for the time) 41 inch 1080p plasma screen since 2009, I am finally upgrading to a new TV in time for the new consoles. I was eyeing a 55 inch LG C9, but looking around I can't see anywhere to get one in the UK - have I missed the boat on the C9 and now have no choice to go for a CX? I was originally going to wait until closer to the new consoles' releases to buy the TV as with only a Switch, a base PS4 and a broken Xbox One, I have no source of 4K content (other than Netflix and Amazon internally on the TV I guess). But this disappearance of the C9 has me a bit spooked - would it be better to buy now instead of later in the year when probably a lot of people will also be looking to buy new TVs for their consoles?

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

bull3964 posted:

So, my take on that situation is get an oled in your price range for primary viewing and get a short throw projector and a retractable screen for large screen viewing.

Yeah I was thinking that might be an option but don't have any projector experience and was worried about resolution on screens that large. There's a few audio/video shops nearby I can talk to about set ups. Thanks.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Build a 2x2 ultra narrow bezel monitor wall. :colbert:

edit: out of 55" oleds

edit 2: https://www.datapath.co.uk/datapath-products/multi-display-products/datapath-fx4-hdr

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 3, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

zhel posted:

Are there any reasonable OLED options at 85+? I'm guessing not since the 77" ones are ~$4500. We're moving into our new house next month and I think we will need a large screen once the basement is finished. I don't have exact measurements since we aren't in it yet but I think the viewing distance is going to be ~15'.

I'm assuming that the reasonably priced 85" LED TVs wouldn't be worth it compared to an OLED one. If we are spending that much money quality is more important than overall size probably.

In the OLED market your options are LG, LG, or LG, take your pick. And LG doesn't make a 85" OLED.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I picked up a TCL 8 series this week. I've got an LG soundbar hooked up by optical cable. My previous Vizio would control the soundbar volume with the TV remote but the TCL doesn't seem to do that. Is there a setting I can change so the tv tells the soundbar how loud to be?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ihop posted:

I picked up a TCL 8 series this week. I've got an LG soundbar hooked up by optical cable. My previous Vizio would control the soundbar volume with the TV remote but the TCL doesn't seem to do that. Is there a setting I can change so the tv tells the soundbar how loud to be?

The optical output is typically at a fixed level, can you program either your soundbar to recognize the TV remote or the TV remote to output LG volume control?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What I thought was a bug with the Android OS is a very interesting feature; not only are the inputs considered separate sources for the purposes of a/v settings, but so is every app.
YouTube has a separate Picture setting from Amazon Prime, which has different settings from Crunchyroll, and so on.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 3, 2020

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

In the OLED market your options are LG, LG, or LG, take your pick. And LG doesn't make a 85" OLED.

Well they make an 88" OLED but it's $30K. :stonk:

I'll probably just shop the 77" ones when the time comes and maybe move the furniture to fit that space better.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Or just move your couch a few feet closer when you do use it? :shrug:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Nocheez posted:

Or just move your couch a few feet closer

New thread title.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yes, as I tell the ladies, it's bigger the closer you get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Comrade Fakename posted:

So, after having a (very good for the time) 41 inch 1080p plasma screen since 2009, I am finally upgrading to a new TV in time for the new consoles. I was eyeing a 55 inch LG C9, but looking around I can't see anywhere to get one in the UK - have I missed the boat on the C9 and now have no choice to go for a CX? I was originally going to wait until closer to the new consoles' releases to buy the TV as with only a Switch, a base PS4 and a broken Xbox One, I have no source of 4K content (other than Netflix and Amazon internally on the TV I guess). But this disappearance of the C9 has me a bit spooked - would it be better to buy now instead of later in the year when probably a lot of people will also be looking to buy new TVs for their consoles?

Yeah as far as I can tell (and believe me I've looked) the C9 is goooooone from everywhere that's anywhere except a few floating around eBay, which, well, let's not. I saw some crop up again at John Lewis, but nothing in their online shop, just one or two in certain stores, which made them renew the listing and get my drat hopes up. (Lmao that they'll let you call and reserve... but only if they have 3 or more in stock. They had two and I watched them disappear)

The CX will probably go down a little in November but basically at this point you're paying an extra £100 or whatever to have the thing for an extra few months (since it's not like you're going to get rid of it sooner for having bought it sooner). The only reason I haven't got mine already is because I won't be in a position to install it for a while and I'm about to spend a few months somewhere that actually does have a C9.